• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Microsoft executive thought they owned Donkey Kong when they bought RARE

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't think the article title is an accurate interpretation of that anecdote.

TheMan

it doesn't really make sense to attribute one exec's comment to an entire organization made of tens of thousands of people

edit: beaten thoroughly

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It was just some random exec who may not have even been an important player on the games side of things. It actually seems like an honest mistake and a reasonable question from someone who doesn't know how the industry works.

oVerde

Banned
Misleading title? Misleading title.

Well, let's do some mind work, how could DK be right now? DKCR is bashed by hardcore fans, and doesn't look that bad of a game from my Xboxer point of view (actually I'm not on the +80 metacritic or bust hive mind), so, could it be even more outrageous on Microsoft hands?

Seavor on twitter:

"To be fair, it was actually a bland , grey exec out for a free jolly to UK who said it, rather than MS as a whole."

https://twitter.com/conkerhimself/status/351239786113155072

Examiner.com, the hallmark of quality journalism™

The home of absolute rubbish as they'll take anything/anyone and pay based on views, so you'll want to be as sensationalist and exaggerate as much as possible.

It should honestly be a banned site. Utter shite.

alejob

It would be interesting to know what happened to RARE. Do a before and after comparison. Who left the company? How many employees do they have?

I've always wondered if buying a development studio is wasting money. Yeah, you can get IPs, but the real value is in the talent within the company and people can jump ship real easy.

Can you imagine if Microsoft got Mario too??? That would be so good!!

187675_v1.jpg

?

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just think, Kinect Kong, the horror! :p

Busty

Banned
This should come as a surprise to no one. Though to be fair this could just have been a MS exec from some other random division out for an all expenses day trip masquerading as corporate 'synergy'.

Fox Mulder

I always wondered if Rare held some kind of rights to some of their work under Nintendo.

The donkey kong country trilogy got pulled from the virtual console, donkey kong 64 was never put up, and donkey kong country returns had different enemies.

It would be interesting to know what happened to RARE. Do a before and after comparison. Who left the company? How many employees do they have?

I've always wondered if buying a development studio is wasting money. Yeah, you can get IPs, but the real value is in the talent within the company and people can jump ship real easy.

This, could be EXTREMELY insightful, love to help if possible, since I do research on spin-off companies in my spare time. :p

This is great, thanks! Kinda feel like it should have it's own thread.

It does! :)

There's always that one dumb exec that's always being told "the big boys are talking business, why don't you go and play in the fountain downstairs while we handle this?"

Xenon

Donkey Kong: Civil Engineer. Explore lush jungle environment just like you know and love. But now you have been tapped to plan the expansion of small towns. You'll get a small taste of the game play you know in love but most of your time will be spent on the drafting board coming up with interesting solutions for problems that arise during expansion.

Tripon

Misleading title? Misleading title.

Well, let's do some mind work, how could DK be right now? DKCR is bashed by hardcore fans, and doesn't look that bad of a game from my Xboxer point of view (actually I'm not on the +80 metacritic or bust hive mind), so, could it be even more outrageous on Microsoft hands?

What? Really? I'm playing DKC:R on the 3DS right now, and I'm finding that game to be HARD. I'm dying so much and I will forever hate the cart stages.

Fox Mulder

Mario Bro

If MS had bought Nintendo, that audience alone would have enabled Rare to make the games they always did. They wouldn't have to be crushed into a Kinect mini games studio.

MS would have had one box with Nintendo support in Japan, Rare, Halo, Xbox Live, and great third party support for stuff like CoD, GTA, and Madden. Could have been interesting.

Top Bottom