• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PPSSPP Emulation and Discussion Thread

rjc571

Banned
You just run the game in full screen, the emulator automatically renders it at the resolution of your screen, assuming rendering resolution is set to auto. You could also change the setting to a multiplier if you want super-sampling.

SerTapTap

Yeah there's an internal resolution setting where you can set it to X times PSP res or auto, that auto sets internal res to current res. I use about 6x PSP res for 1080p to supersample (1080p is exactly 4x PSP I think), above 6x I don't see any added IQ improvement. You can also set antiscopic filtering, FXAA (just supersample if possible, FXAA is butt), and texture filtering (I'm not sure how useful this is)

SerTapTap

Anyone playing Yggdra Union? Menu effects cause horrible slowdown. Compatibility list marks it as "playable". I guess I could qualify it as that if it's possible to beat the game, but it seems there should be a "no problems" level above playable to separate barely working from perfectly working.

Anyone playing Yggdra Union? Menu effects cause horrible slowdown. Compatibility list marks it as "playable". I guess I could qualify it as that if it's possible to beat the game, but it seems there should be a "no problems" level above playable to separate barely working from perfectly working.

By "slowdown", do you mean that the speed % has dropped below 100% or are you referring to the reduction in the internal framerate (e.g. from 30/30 to 15/15)?

If you mean the former, when the slowdown occurs, try firing up a GPU monitoring tool like GPUz and have a look at the GPU usage. If it's hitting 100% or close to it, try lowering down the rendering resolution and give it another shot. It may be the case that your GPU can't handle the game at that rendering resolution. This may sound unbelievable especially if you're on a Desktop, but as you will know, different games have wildly varying requirements (which have gone up since 0.9.9 due to the implementation of additional slower but more accurate graphical features into the emulator). E.g. Just because Crisis Core runs like butter at 8x RR, that is no guarantee the God of War games (which are much, much more GPU heavy) will do the same.

If you mean the latter, that is a game specific emulator bug that needs to be rectified and reported to the devs. Nothing wrong with your system or your settings there.

Jeanne d'Arc fixed yet?

The invisible characters have been fixed for quite sometime now, but the fix requires some advanced OpenGL features found in only OpenGL 3.x/OpenGL ES 3.0 devices and above.

If your device/PC does not support that featureset, you're out of luck with this game.

(PC Graphics cards have been supporting OpenGL 3.x for the past 7 years now. OpenGL ES 3.0 support on the other hand is still something limited to only the newer Android/Apple mobile devices made in the last 1-2 years or so.)

There's still the 40/40 FPS issue, but this can be mitigated using the 60 FPS CWCheat which forces the game to run at 60 FPS all the time instead for a smoother gameplay experience.

SerTapTap

I think the Yggdra Union issue I was having was due to all the settings I was screwing with trying to get Patapon to sync right. Reset PPSSPP to all defaults, turning on only fullscreen, PSPx6 rendering and multithreading, works fine now.

Stuart444

So weird reason to bump this but I downloaded one of the buildbot builds a few days ago.

It seems like the text is mostly fixed in Japanese games like Digimon Adventure PSP. Before, it either skipped some text entirely or it overlay'd other text (mostly the former but I saw the latter once or twice I think, it was a while ago when I tried it last) but after playing for over an hour, I didn't see it once when before I saw it within 15 minutes.

Makes me happy as I know a few games will be playable to completion now since the only other issues are setting related (ie upscaling enough to slow the game down lol) which I can deal with per game. :D

Recently, Henrik (ector on NeoGAF, our main man and creator of PPSPP) has reactivated the (sort-of) stagnating/deceased DirectX 9 backend for PPSSPP via the Thin3D method, which also allows us to display the PPSSPP UI in DirectX 9.

You can try it out for yourself by grabbing any git build from the buildbot from v0.9.9.1-88-g5d836bf onwards. The renderer is still mostly unfinished, and will probably not display much on the screen for most games.

It also requires you to do the following:-

1. Run the new git version of PPSSPP at least once, and then exit it. Head to the ppsspp.ini file (usually located in the \memstick\PSP\SYSTEM folder) and under the [Graphics] heading, change

Code:
GPUBackend = 0

to

Code:
GPUBackend = 1

2. Change the Rendering Mode from Buffered Rendering to Non-Buffered Rendering. Buffered Rendering is still non-functional for the D3D9 backend.

Some screenshots

Here's what the UI looks like in DX9:-
ibcsmsAug9gSLK.PNG

ib0QcqY4ynEEhE.PNG
(The bottom row of game icons are cutoff)

And here's a screenie from a Tekken 6's practice mode in DX9 using Non-buffered Rendering:-

What it looks like in OpenGL for comparison:-

As you can see, it still needs a lot of work so strictly speaking, it's meant for fooling around at the moment.

Tried playing the PSP version of Tales of Rebirth last night and there are slowdowns during anime scenes and combat. The rest of the game runs at full speed oddly enough. 2D PSP games tend to run buttery smooth on my laptop and the last post on this thread seems to imply that its a problem on Pandora, too.

Oh, and before I forget, there's a much more attractive reason to upgrade to the latest git build at the moment.

We've just fixed the infamous long standing infinite HP bug for the 2nd boss battle in MGS: Peace Walker, so you can now take down the boss without having to use any form of CWCheats.

The fix is incorporated from v0.9.9.1-72-gb7da82e onwards. Here's the pull request that details the fix.

So wait, If PPSSPP hasn't been using DX9 all this time, then what the hell have I been using? I'm stuck on Windows XP for the time being (it's a long story involving video capture drivers and a lot of money) and I've been using every released version of PPSSPP since before this thread even existed.

So wait, If PPSSPP hasn't been using DX9 all this time, then what the hell have I been using? I'm stuck on Windows XP for the time being (it's a long story involving video capture drivers and a lot of money) and I've been using every released version of PPSSPP since before this thread even existed.

We've been using OpenGL since the very beginning for cross platform compatibility with Android/Linux/Mac and other mobile platforms (via OpenGL ES)

Windows XP has adequate OpenGL support for PPSSPP that is dependent on the appropriate Graphic Card drivers from your vendor.

As a sidenote, this DirectX backend/renderer was only considered due to the influx of complaints from many, many Intel Integrated Graphic Chipset (pre HD series) owners that do not even have the basic OpenGL 2.0 support needed for PPSSPP.

Generally speaking OpenGL 2.0+ support has existed in all dedicated graphics cards (ATI/AMD - since Radeon 9500, NVIDIA - since Geforce 6000 series) for over 10 years now so it was never an issue for those dedicated vendors.

The speed argument can't be settled yet until the DX9 renderer is up to speed with the GL one.

ILoveBish

I just got a 660ti, so of course, tried out ppsspp. Did ridge racer 2 with 6x res and more goodies turned on, ran 60fps locked like a champ. Truly amazing. Used a 2 hour old nightly.

Seik

Banned
So yesterday I finally got an imported copy of Digimon Adventure, game seems like a good RPG and I loved Digimon back then, so why not. I heard there was a translation patch as well so that helped to pull the trigger, too.

I tried everything to make the game's character models not looking like shit for a while with 0.9.9.1, but no matter what graphic settings I changed, shit stayed shit.

dg1b3jhc.png

After trying everything for 30 minutes, I lost hope, then I found an old build of 0.9.5 on in my downloads and POW, miracle.

dg2i5j7n.png

Anyone knows what's up with that? Surely there's something I omitted to do in the newest version. D:

Oh...and I never managed to install the translation patch either. While the process seemed simple, it just doesn't seem to work. I described my problem on the translation's site, which I will not link here because they're distributing the ISO with the said patch, but didn't got any kind of answer yet, though a guy seems to have the same thing. Here's my post, if someone could help me with this as well, it would be awesome.

I'm confused, the process seems so simple, yet I can't manage to make it work so far.

I ripped my ISO from my homebrewed PSP, I called the ISO 'Digimon Adventure'.

To be sure it would be detected by the application, I copied the ISO directly in the application's folder to be sure it would be detected (and to have a spare copy elsewhere in case something goes wrong).

I did write exactly the same name in the Digimon Patcher 2.0 application, I tried without compressing it at first, then I tried to, it never modified my main ISO or created another one for that matter.

It doesn't seem to do much, I see this for a very quick moment and then it goes straight to the credits:

6GrxyAr.png

When I try to compress it, I have this message for something like a nanosecond (had to try a few times to get the print screen right) then it asks me to confirm the process again...to NOT work again and asks me again. :p

jm2H0d9.png

There must be something I'm doing wrong, maybe I need to get the ISO directly from here? But I can't understand why this would work more since I'm using a personally ripped ISO.

Halp.

So yesterday I finally got an imported copy of Digimon Adventure, game seems like a good RPG and I loved Digimon back then, so why not. I heard there was a translation patch as well so that helped to pull the trigger, too.

I tried everything to make the game's character models not looking like shit for a while with 0.9.9.1, but no matter what graphic settings I changed, shit stayed shit.

After trying everything for 30 minutes, I lost hope, then I found an old build of 0.9.5 on in my downloads and POW, miracle.

Anyone knows what's up with that? Surely there's something I omitted to do in the newest version. D:

Render resolution set to x1 instead of auto or whatever your window resolution was set at?

Seik

Banned
Render resolution set to x1 instead of auto or whatever your window resolution was set at?

Same results, except the whole game is jagged because of the OG PSP resolution. At this point I'd be better playing it on my PSP instead. :p

I usually play my games at 6x res without any problem, I'm just having this with Digimon.

Same results, except the whole game is jagged because of the OG PSP resolution. At this point I'd be better playing it on my PSP instead. :p

I usually play my games at 6x res without any problem, I'm just having this with Digimon.

sorry, I was saying that was what is wrong.

who knows then if you already messed with those settings.

Seik

Banned
That's odd, I use builds from the Orphis buildbot and don't have an issue with Digimon Adventure.

Try the latest build and mess with the settings otherwise, I don't know what's up with that.

Well, that's what I've been trying to do since two days. Though since I can't make the patch work yet, I'll wait to have an answer about this on the other forum or here first.

_Ryo_

I really hope that a texture dumper/loader is incorporated into this emulator sometime in the future. We could have some of the best versions of A LOT of games if so. Hell, the company could even resell the game on GOG with a custom PPSSPP emu running it. That'd be amazing.

Sorry for the wishing thinking. ^_^

MUnited83

For you.
Just bought the Gold version.Anyone knows how to properly map the analog sticks of a DS3(im using betterds3)? When I try to put the analogues directions nothing happens.

edit: nevermind, got it.

ector

Neo Member

It looks like this game reads back the image of the rendered character into PSP RAM and adds the outlines using the CPU. In that case, there's nothing the emulator can do to make it look better (as the game will expect the original PSP resolution) apart from reimplementing part of the game. You could try "non-buffered" rendering, which turns off that kind of framebuffer copying, and you may thus end up with higher res characters like in old versions of the emu but you will lose the outlines. This may also affect other parts of the game in bad ways.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
are custom/HD textures still being looked into if it's even possible via the emulator?

Was custom/HD textures ever even on the table? Because I would KILL for an updated hack of Ridge Racers with upgraded higher res textures. OMG.

EGM92

Is there a settings guide to make Final Fantasy Type-0 look and play perfectly? Also when doing a charged card attack is the screen supposed to go black?

Thanks

Facegravy

Playing Loco Roco with the latest build, on my Iphone 5. But the L or R button keep getting stuck/freeze, Anyone with the same problem and a solution?

hey, thanks a lot for that android performance guide, FFT-0@1280x720 is now near full speed on my galaxy note 2(exynos cpu) , no frameskip. (and fullspeed at the psp internal res) I though this day would never come.. wow.

Trying to play Persona 3 Portable on my OnePlus One android phone. It only runs at 20FPS no matter what I try, 5x rendering, 1x rendering, no speedhacks, speedhacks etc. When I turn on the speed/fps counter it says it is running at 20/20 fps and at 100% speed so it seems like it's being limited by something that I can't find. Any ideas?

Trying to play Persona 3 Portable on my OnePlus One android phone. It only runs at 20FPS no matter what I try, 5x rendering, 1x rendering, no speedhacks, speedhacks etc. When I turn on the speed/fps counter it says it is running at 20/20 fps and at 100% speed so it seems like it's being limited by something that I can't find. Any ideas?

Something is wrong. My Note 2 runs it at full speed aside from drops during battle start and first time summoning Personas. Have you tried buffered rendering?

Sajjaja

I'll just update this one. Thanks for the heads up.

1.0 Changelog

Full improvements list:

Many, many bug fixes in JIT and elsewhere, improving compatibility
Proper fix for Zenfone and related devices
Direct3D 9 supported as a rendering backend on Windows, helps on old GPUs and can be faster than OpenGL in many cases
You can now create specific configs per game
FPU rounding modes much better supported, fixes the Peace Walker boss that was undefeatable. NOTE: This breaks saves in Gods Eater - you must turn off the better rounding, load your save game, turn it on and save.
The JIT now uses SSE on x86, improving speed considerably. This does not affect ARM devices, that's for the next version or two.
Improved audio output code on both Windows and Android, reducing audio latency on Windows and on some Android systems
FFMPEG upgraded, fixed some music hangs ("GHA phase shifts")
Some Ad Hoc improvements, coldbird.net is now default adhoc server. Ad Hoc still unfinished and hard to use.
Graphics fixes: Bezier/spline drawing fixes, vertex position fixes, DanganRonpa on Adreno fixed, flat shading fixed, vertex cache improved, some PowerVR blockiness issues fixed, screen scaling filter added, Google Cardboard support
Simulate UMD speed better, fixing hangs in several games
More Atrac3 fixes, fixing hangs
Somewhat better disk full handling
Fixes to dynamic unloading of code, fixing problems in GEB and TRM 2/3
Updated to SDL2 where applicable (Linux, Mac)
Some new features, like analog/dpad-swap hotkey, graphics hack for Phantasy Star, show last bit of debug log in dev tools, etc
No more need for MSVCRT DLLs on Windows

ILoveBish

Installed the newest nightly on a venue 8 pro and it runs really well. Turning on a few speed hacks and enabling multi threading, most games I tried were 60fps solid, including ultimate ghosts and goblins, prinny and tekken 5 runs 60fps nearly full time depending on the stage. Very impressive stuff.

The dual shock 4 pairs with the dell out of the box, so you get perfect controls easily. Will be messing with it more later. Only tried out opengl mode, will try direct x9 mode also.

Top Bottom