• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation Plus Thread 2: How do I hold all these games?

Both PS4 games pretty much suck this month in EU. Luckily I haven't even played all the older PS+ games, but I was expecting something better this month..

edit: Never Alone was released a day later for some reason. It doesn't suck,

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I just gave Monsterbag a go and I'm just coming in here to say how cool this game is. Seems like this game is gonna be the nice surprise this month. So much personality.

Played a few hours of Never Alone last night, it's pretty good. It's kind of like a co-op Limbo with a white color scheme :p

I'm hoping the gameplay will change up a little bit later on because the game really relies on a lot of chase sequences. Other than that the only complaint I have is the bolas, trying to hit something that's diagonal from you can be really awkward at times. There's no guideline or cross hairs while aiming so you just have to judge where she's looking. It made for some frustrating deaths in one of the chase sections.

awp69

I actually expected to like Never Alone the least of of this month's games, but it's my favorite of the bunch.

Looked forward to Tower of Guns, but it isn't doing much for me.

dorikyasu

Finished Never Alone. It was very short and sweet (except for the last couple levels where it got a bit frustrating due to controls).
Killzone: Mercenary looks & plays great on PSTV.

I am on the last few levels of Aaru's Awakening. I hate it, but I play it, I don't know why. The controls are terrible, I feel like I am playing Super Meat Boy on a 2600 Controller. The levels are short, and despite not having fun most of the time, I have this odd compulsion to beat it if I start it. Tower of Guns is alright. I beat it once, I'll probably play more, but not too much. I'll get to Never Alone later.

Deft Beck

MonsterBag is a lot of fun. There seems to be a glitch on one of the later levels, though:

In Chaos City, if you throw the green alien head at the kid playing the Vita, the game will pause itself, and when you unpause, the head is stuck in midair and you can't do anything without restarting the level.

awp69

Aaru's Awakening. I hate it, but I play it, I don't know why. The controls are terrible, I feel like I am playing Super Meat Boy on a 2600 Controller.

This (except I will never return to the game after the few levels I tried)

Artwork is lovely. Gameplay sucks. There were similar complaints for the PC version. I had hoped they might have tightened up the controls for the PS4 release. Sadly, it appears not.

Doomshine

Is it just me or are the controls really sluggish for Tower of Guns PS3? I feel like there's a really noticeable input delay, even in the menu.

Never Alone is quite good. Nice graphics and atmosphere about the game.

Didn't like Aaru. Controls were awful and I couldn't get used to them.

Dishonoured is dull and boring. Glad I didn't buy that. Has a weird art style.

Tower of Guns is just weird and again unexciting to play.

Overall the games weren't great this month. Killzone's is great though but I bought that at launch.

Never Alone is quite good. Nice graphics and atmosphere about the game.
Tower of Guns is just weird and again unexciting to play.
Overall the games weren't great this month.

Agreed, the only problem I had was never alone is too short. It's the easiest game I've ever seen to platinum except for the fact that you have to watch a bunch of videos longer than the game to do it.

Tower of Guns was fun for me for about 10 mins. Then I got bored, but I'm not a shooter guy generally so it makes sense.

Weakest month for me personally since launch, I just didn't enjoy it much. Oh well

kevin1025

Banned
Agreed, the only problem I had was never alone is too short. It's the easiest game I've ever seen to platinum except for the fact that you have to watch a bunch of videos longer than the game to do it.

Tower of Guns was fun for me for about 10 mins. Then I got bored, but I'm not a shooter guy generally so it makes sense.

Weakest month for me personally since launch, I just didn't enjoy it much. Oh well

Technically you just need to play the video and then exit out. I may or may not have done it that way and got the trophy.

JonnyKong

I've just finished Never Alone. I wish I could have liked it more, but I'm honestly just feeling underwhelmed about the whole thing.

Pros = lovely to look at, interesting documentary type videos to watch, you get to play as an adorable Arctic fox.

Negs = The gameplay mechanics were just so basic and plain and rinsed. And the controls were so infuriating! Aiming with that thing I've forgot the name of seemed to take me ages. The jumping felt sloppy, my character got stuck on scenery so many times, and don't even get me started on the flying sections Ugh. Trying to control that was a nightmare and so slow. Why even have a speed up button? Just make that the standard speed already.

If you want a puzzler (I use that word lightly) platformer game I can think of far better such as Ori and the blind forest, Trine 2 or Stealth Inc 2.

I have absolutely no idea what Eurogamer were thinking giving it 10/10. I was so glad to have finished it.

netguy503

I wish it included a plat for 2 hours of playtime.

Never Alone has no Platinum. But yeah to get 100% is easy. The game was neat but very short indeed.

I've just finished Never Alone. I wish I could have liked it more, but I'm honestly just feeling underwhelmed about the whole thing.

Pros = lovely to look at, interesting documentary type videos to watch, you get to play as an adorable Arctic fox.

Negs = The gameplay mechanics were just so basic and plain and rinsed. And the controls were so infuriating! Aiming with that thing I've forgot the name of seemed to take me ages. The jumping felt sloppy, my character got stuck on scenery so many times, and don't even get me started on the flying sections Ugh. Trying to control that was a nightmare and so slow. Why even have a speed up button? Just make that the standard speed already.

If you want a puzzler (I use that word lightly) platformer game I can think of far better such as Ori and the blind forest, Trine 2 or Stealth Inc 2.

I have absolutely no idea what Eurogamer were thinking giving it 10/10. I was so glad to have finished it.

I haven't reached the flying section yet but I really dislike using the bola. Without an aiming cursor it makes it tricky to aim at something diagonally with accuracy. I died a few times on that chase sequence where you gotta break those ice things simply because I was a pixel off from hitting it.

I stopped at the swimming section because it's a swimming section and the movement is pretty slow :/

I haven't reached the flying section yet but I really dislike using the bola. Without an aiming cursor it makes it tricky to aim at something diagonally with accuracy. I died a few times on that chase sequence where you gotta break those ice things simply because I was a pixel off from hitting it.

I stopped at the swimming section because it's a swimming section and the movement is pretty slow :/

You can swim faster by pressing X and there are only a few swimming sections. Actually just in that level.

I just finished never alone last night, and I ended up pretty sour on it by the end. Its a bunch of cool ideas, but there are really confusing design choices. Why are you unable to run and aim the Bola at the same time, but then are forced into a section where you must destroy ice obstacles while being chased. It's just annoying. The moving tree sections where you have to move the branches around were incredibly frustrating as well.

Also a couple of times I had to restart a section because my ai partner missed a jump they should have made. Why make me restart when that factor was completely out of my control?

That being said, I overall enjoyed the game, I'm just a little frustrated with some design choices that would probably have been less annoying had the game been longer. Otherwise the game was pretty unique in gameplay and the setting was something that hasn't been done before. 7.5/10

JonnyKong

Oh my goodness I HATED one of the moving tree sections. My character just refused to jump onto the right platform and kept falling off.

Still, I give the game credit just for the fact it
uses the northern lights as enemies. Something I NEVER thought I'd see in a game

Aaru is just ridiculously bad, Tower of Guns seems uninteresting so far, and the best part of Never Alone are the FMV videos you unlock. The game itself is pretty dry.

Worst month of PS+ games for the PS4 since it launched imo.

Chatin

Oh my goodness I HATED one of the moving tree sections. My character just refused to jump onto the right platform and kept falling off.

Still, I give the game credit just for the fact it
uses the northern lights as enemies. Something I NEVER thought I'd see in a game
I hated getting snatched up by those.

Game was nice to look at. Short. Gameplay not very engaging. I'll move on and forget about it. At least I can quickly remove it for that vital HDD space I'm scrambling for every new release.

Matush

Yep, pretty average month overall. Probably the best game will be Killzone. Monsterbag was meh, it had nice art, but that's it. Just finished Never Alone, I somewhat liked the game and as stated above, documentary videos are the best part of it. I had several game-breaking glitches, platforming was horrible IMO and at later level it just wasn't fun. I have no interest in ToG or AA, too bad.

Nose Master

Took a while to grow on me, but Woah Dave! is pretty fantastic, actually. Played about two hours of it today while at work. Capped @ $3.11 tho D:

Duxxy3

Bought a 3 month sub a couple months ago. Gonna let it go until the fall. I just don't have any interest in the games they are giving away.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah, pretty terrible month.. especially since the only actually good game, KZ, I already owned.

I'm waiting on Never Alone.. but ToG and AA look freaking horrible.. and AA is getting killed by reviewers.

I don't even know how to feel about Towers of Guns. I died my first two tries, but beat it my third because all the guns stopped shooting at me halfway through for some reason. Even bosses wouldn't shoot, so only spikes and stuff could kill me. I got a difficulty down item during the game, but it wouldn't make sense to make the enemies not even attack.

m@cross

Glad I have a VITA for this month, though I expect I'll enjoy Never Alone. Woah Dave is actually addicting in a way, and though it isn't free, Bastion is a fantastic deal for under $15.

I think this is the only genuinely bad month so far. Dishonored and Killzone are great if you never played em, but the rest are mediocre to bad. :(

Celegus

Yeah, pretty terrible month.. especially since the only actually good game, KZ, I already owned.

I'm waiting on Never Alone.. but ToG and AA look freaking horrible.. and AA is getting killed by reviewers.

Dishonored is great, but I've already played it. I'm fine with just playing more Bloodborne though, I'm not hurting for things to play.

LakeEarth

Took a while to grow on me, but Woah Dave! is pretty fantastic, actually. Played about two hours of it today while at work. Capped @ $3.11 tho D:
Good shit, I've made it to $2 and had no clue what to do against the giant UFO. It's actually a ton of fun, and anyone who has fond memories of early 80s arcade games like Joust should try Whoa Dave!

breakfuss

Quite possibly the worst month in a while. Fucking terrible games! Deleted everything except for Never Alone, which I'm only giving a pass because of its message.

Oh, and ive played Dishonored before. Loved it so I wasn't including that.

breakfuss

Dishonored is so boring. Such bad stealth gameplay, such a boring Story.

This month sucks complete ass but don't allow the stench of the others to overshadow the one gem here. Dishonored is a good time and doesn't have to be played purely as non-lethal stealth game. So many ways to approach things. And you unlock more gadgets and powers as you progress.

Dishonored is so boring. Such bad stealth gameplay, such a boring Story.

It was one of the most refreshing stealth games I had played at the time. Really great world, beautifully realised and I found the story interesting if not memorable (it's been a while).

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Tried Tower of Guns. It's really rough. I also encountered the issue where enemies just wouldn't shoot. Exploring some of the arenas can be kind of neat when you get enough extra jumps, but I wasn't very enthused by the rest of the game's offerings. The stick deadzones felt pretty bad too.

I'm getting fairly tired of procedurally generated games on the whole. I value one well-crafted and thoughtful sequence of levels over than an endless number of random levels.

Ambitious

What, Never Alone is only two hours long? I quit after one hour or so, not long after obtaining the Bola. Might as well finish it, then.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So I played and beat Aaru's Awakening today. Really short length aside I thought it was pretty fantastic. Interesting and well executed gameplay mechanics, and a really solid difficulty curve. Gameplay was very engaging throughout. I have absolutely no idea what the story was about though. A very nice surprise this month along with Monsterbag, but unlike Mosterbag it doesn't fall apart in the last few stages. That final boss sure was testing my patience for a while though.

Also I tried Tower of Guns and thought it was god awful.

Top Bottom