• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Oh I see. Aight, no offense taken

Anyways, what is this about combat? Isn't this a problem that all shooters would face? What's it being rpg got to do with it?

Play Alpha Protocol and see what you say.

One of the major problems with that game is that Sega insist that they add dice rolls to the shooting, such that even if you have the crosshair perfectly over the target, depending on your skill with the weapon you'd have a certain chance to miss.

In theory, it kind of makes sense. In practice, however, in a shooter this feels totally wrong.

Then again, there's also a fundamental problems a lot of these games have where you're supposed to be an elite soldier, yet you apparently lack the skill to use firearms at the beginning of the game.

Dany

Banned
I just want to see something. Anything at this rate. 6 weeks is too long!!

LLShC.gif

Mediking

I wonder just how far Bioware will go to make the gamer's experience unique to themselves to encourage multiple playthroughs. The game that keeps giving should be Mass Effect: Andromeda's biggest boast, in my opinion. A high quality space opera adventure that you can't put down.

what?

I don't get it...this convo seems like it's about shooter mechanics in general, not something particular about ME...unless I'm missing something

The person I quoted was talking about an RPG-esque shooter mechanic in which a simulated die roll would dictate whether you hit the target or not. I was agreeing that it doesn't work well and pointing out a frustrating result of that mechanic and why it doesn't work well for shooters.

The die-roll mechanic never works well when aiming is controlled by the player instead of the character.

I wonder just how far Bioware will go to make the gamer's experience unique to themselves to encourage multiple playthroughs. The game that keeps giving should be Mass Effect: Andromeda's biggest boast, in my opinion. A high quality space opera adventure that you can't put down.

That's what makes 1-3 so special, it never feels like a chore replaying through each of them. Unlike a lot of other RPG's, Mass Effect games are compartmentalized 30-50 hour adventures and not 100-200 hour slogs. I can't go back and replay Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3 because I know it's going to be a daunting task and take so long to beat .

Let's hope they can keep the streak going.

Mediking

That's what makes 1-3 so special, it never feels like a chore replaying through each of them. Unlike a lot of other RPG's, Mass Effect games are compartmentalized 30-50 hour adventures and not 100-200 hour slogs. I can't go back and replay Dragon Age: Inquisition or The Witcher 3 because I know it's going to be a daunting task and take so long to beat .

Totally agreed. In my 1st playthru of the amazing Witcher 3, I romanced Yennefer. I really wanna try for Triss in a second playthru but it would take so much time.....

Meanwhile in ME3.... I had multiple playthrus where I romanced Liara, Ashley, tried to flirt with Traynor, and Tali. Different decisions were made too.

DevilDog

I just beat it and have moved on to Mass Effect 2. I really enjoyed the storyline for the game and I thought the villains were well done. The other villains in the series are kinda a joke (other than The Illusive Man but I like him better in 2 than 3). The ones you listed were probably my favorites of the game but I would add Garrus too.

While the plot of Mass Effect 2 isn't anything special by any means and the gameplay has been stripped down, I love all of the world building it does. They give you a lot more glimpses into the culture of other aliens and their social breakdowns. The characters are just much better. Jacob is boring as hell but I even like him. I was surprised to learn that Miranda was considered very meh by the fanbase, she's probably my favorite character in the series (shame her alt outfit isn't her default though).

This is my first time getting to use Kasumi since I didn't have the DLC previously on the PC and it comes with the PS3 version. I love the hell out of her. I wish they gave us more dialogue with her one and one because I think she's hilarious.
Worldbuilding is an absolutely spectacular on all 3 games. I think the best thing is the Citadel, its absolutely gorgeous and atmospheric, feeling like you could live in one of the arms and look up and see another city :O

Next would be Illium, Noveria, Omega, Sur'kesh and Feros.
I wished we could see more but Bioware is too scared to go back now :(

I just want to know if there'll be an improved Scorpio version whenever that releases.
I sure hope there will be one. It will be less than a year between the release of Andromeda and Scorpio, so I'm sure there's a strong possibility. Casey Hudson is at Microsoft now, so I'm sure he can just make a call and make it happen :p

Play Alpha Protocol and see what you say.

One of the major problems with that game is that Sega insist that they add dice rolls to the shooting, such that even if you have the crosshair perfectly over the target, depending on your skill with the weapon you'd have a certain chance to miss.

In theory, it kind of makes sense. In practice, however, in a shooter this feels totally wrong.

Then again, there's also a fundamental problems a lot of these games have where you're supposed to be an elite soldier, yet you apparently lack the skill to use firearms at the beginning of the game.

The person I quoted was talking about an RPG-esque shooter mechanic in which a simulated die roll would dictate whether you hit the target or not. I was agreeing that it doesn't work well and pointing out a frustrating result of that mechanic and why it doesn't work well for shooters.

The die-roll mechanic never works well when aiming is controlled by the player instead of the character.

alright i'm really behind on this stuff...I don't know what the die-roll mechanic is and I tried googling it and still didn't get anything conclusive. what is it? did the ME games previously use it or no? and we're saying it's bad if it does get included?

A dice roll would be this: An action that looks like an action-based shooter would also have a math- or probability-based component that's happening behind the scenes, based on your skill traits and the gun and so on. So a non-sniper character would always have a chance to miss a shot with a sniper rifle, no matter how good the shot looks on screen.

Fallout 3 had this mechanic. Mass Effect never has.

alright i'm really behind on this stuff...I don't know what the die-roll mechanic is and I tried googling it and still didn't get anything conclusive. what is it? did the ME games previously use it or no? and we're saying it's bad if it does get included?
No thankfully Mass Effect has never had this.

Imagine playing a shooter and having your pistol aimed at the back of an enemy's head.

You pull the trigger.

Instead of a simulated bullet hitting the back of his simulated head, the game rolls a simulated die to see if you hit him or not.

If the number it gets is below a certain threshold, you miss... Even if the round would have had to exit the barrel at a 45 degree angle to do so.

Basically, your character's ability with that weapon dictates accuracy... But instead of a spread out shot group (the way mass effect does it) you just get yes/no on whether or not you hit with little regard to how well you aimed the shot or how unlikely it would be to miss.

Die roll works well when you don't have direct control of the weapon. So its fine in top down shooters and whatnot. Not so good in first or third person shooters in which the aiming is directly controlled by the player. It takes skill out of the equation and replaces it with a game of chance.

mrjack

Neo Member

ME3 takes me about 60 hours to do everything (all DLC and N7 missions) and I usually do because it's all great content (Omega is a bit of a slog for me but it's still great). I would be fine if they doubled the amount of content to 120 hours if it was all meaningful, hand-crafted missions and cinematics with interesting stories behind them all and hopefully tied in directly with the crit path content.

I like Skyrim and Fallout style open world games but Mass Effect isn't that for me. The main story, the pacing, the urgency of it all is part of what I love about it. In Bethesda games I just kind of wander off and get lost doing my own thing and before I know it I'm level 50 and I haven't even met Kellogg yet.

I wouldn't like that in ME:A, I want to care about the main plot enough that I don't WANT to spend to much time away from it.

It's a hard balance to strike.

No thankfully Mass Effect has never had this.

Imagine playing a shooter and having your pistol aimed at the back of an enemy's head.

You pull the trigger.

Instead of a simulated bullet hitting the back of his simulated head, the game rolls a simulated die to see if you hit him or not.

If the number it gets is below a certain threshold, you miss... Even if the round would have had to exit the barrel at a 45 degree angle to do so.

Basically, your character's ability with that weapon dictates accuracy... But instead of a spread out shot group (the way mass effect does it) you just get yes/no on whether or not you hit with little regard to how well you aimed the shot or how unlikely it would be to miss.

Die roll works well when you don't have direct control of the weapon. So its fine in top down shooters and whatnot. Not so good in first or third person shooters in which the aiming is directly controlled by the player. It takes skill out of the equation and replaces it with a game of chance.
yeah fuck that shit. like you said not mass effect nor any shooters of its kind or similar should have that.

thanks for explaining

Patryn

So I'm replaying the trilogy, and while Engineer is my overall favorite class, I realized that actually I prefer playing a different class for each of the three games.

For Mass Effect 1 I think I most prefer the Sentinel. You get the best of both worlds in terms of Biotic and Tech abilities, and then if you specialize as a Bastion you just totally break the game. Even better taking Assault Rifle or Shotgun as your bonus abilities.

But when we get to Mass Effect 2 I think I prefer the adept. Setting off the Biotic explosions is just so enjoyable and so easy with Singularity. I especially love triggering them on the bridge on Thane's recruitment mission.

Finally, when we get to Mass Effect 3, it's Engineer all the way. I take Defense Drone for my bonus ability and I am a one-woman army. Turrets are just so fun to chuck, and once your drones and turrets start firing rockets it just gets plain unfair.

I really hope they throw out all the old classes and start from zero for the new games, though. I'd love to see classes fundamentally rethought, and tech explosions get a little easier to pull off similar to biotic explosions.

is anybody getting a Ps4 pro for this game?

I might. I dunno. Need to see more if it's worth it.

DOWN

Banned
For whatever reason, likely since marketing Shepard was a soldier, I liked the idea of my main character being a soldier with the combat strategy down and thus the story seems even better to me that the main character needs to build a crew of people who know stuff like biotics, science, engineering, etc. to make the team well rounded. People gifted in ways the main character isn't. Shepard in my games (and as I interpret the marketing) was the best of the best in the military, but he needed to find people gifted or trained in ways he wasn't, and that's why I didn't want to personally have biotic powers or tech skills. Felt like it cheapened the value of locating experts in those things because if I already am an expert at lots of that, then adding them to the team has less dramatic implications regarding the skills of the crew.

I am thinking I might approach Andromeda this way.

How do you know that? We've seen no footage of it on a regular PS4, much less the same scene to properly compare the two.
isn't the fact that it was a 4K presentation pretty much that though? the regular Ps4 can't do 4K, therefore right then n there you know it won't look that good

Patryn

isn't the fact that it was a 4K presentation pretty much that though? the regular Ps4 can't do 4K, therefore right then n there you know it won't look that good
I don't have a 4K TV. So, I have no idea what, if any, improvement there will be on my 1080 display.

diaspora

yes, there will be improvements which means there will be downgrades on the original

That's... not how this works.

If the PS4 version of this game was going to be running at settings : A, B, and C, it doesn't really matter if the PS4 Pro is running at A+1, B+1, and C+1. Just because the Pro version might operate at settings that offer greater visual acuity than the regular PS4 doesn't make the PS4 version "downgraded". I.e. just because the PC version might look a generation beyond consoles doesn't make the console versions downgraded, they are what they are irrespective of how it might look on better platforms.

edit: What I'm generally getting at is that one SKU for a piece of software better better than another SKU doesn't necessitate that the latter has "downgrades". It has whatever feature set it can have given the platform.

Patryn

yes, there will be improvements which means there will be downgrades on the original
Beyond HDR (available on all PS4s) and higher resolution (can't get on a 1080 tv) have they mentioned any?

All the Pro demo said is it would be 4K. I don't have a 4K tv. So I am currently unaware of any benefits.

DOWN

Banned
are you gonna sell your old one?

it'll be worth it for all games going forward, wouldn't it? that demo we saw, it's not gonna look as good on a regular Ps4, so..
Im selling my original one
How do you know that? We've seen no footage of it on a regular PS4, much less the same scene to properly compare the two.
Well we know all games going forward will look at least some degree better on Pro because they've said at the very least a game with Pro mode means one of two things on a 1080p TV: 1080p (including for games that can't hit 1080p on regular PS4) either native or downscaled from a "4K mode" thus having better image quality than standard PS4, or 1080p with added effects and higher settings selected by the developers to add assets and better quality elements to the on screen world.

It's also expected to stabilize performance for games that struggle with their goal frame rate, though we don't know that there will be any such issues for regular PS4 Andromeda, but we know frame rate issues are common in general on the current consoles

If the PS4 version of this game was going to be running at settings : A, B, and C, it doesn't really matter if the PS4 Pro is running at A+1, B+1, and C+1. Just because the Pro version might operate at settings that offer greater visual acuity than the regular PS4 doesn't make the PS4 version "downgraded". I.e. just because the PC version might look a generation beyond consoles doesn't make the console versions downgraded, they are what they are irrespective of how it might look on better platforms.

edit: What I'm generally getting at is that one SKU for a piece of software better better than another SKU doesn't necessitate that the latter has "downgrades". It has whatever feature set it can have given the platform.
right, I should've explained what I meant better. I meant that, Me4 being a post pro game, will have perks for those who have one, things that the original owners will not have.

"downgrade" implies the original could've looked better and had to have some of it taken away, when really it's being left alone, and the pro gets upgrades.

I don't agree. The way I see it, it depends on the lead platform. For reference, Call of Duty Black Ops came out for the Wii. It was downgraded in order for it to run on the platform.

A game that has the PC as the lead platform is downgraded to run on consoles.

A game that has a console as the lead but is enhanced for PC is receiving an upgrade. This is the category that games upgraded for PS4 Pro will be in.

The PS4 Pro versions of games will not be the lead as far as Sony is saying. The games it gets should be viewed as upgrades. It's literally when a game is upgraded from a weaker platform to a stronger one.

If the Pro ever becomes the lead platform, then standard PS4 games should be viewed as downgrades from the intended experience.

I am getting it for FFXV.
is that coming out this year?
I don't agree. The way I see it, it depends on the lead platform. For reference, Call of Duty Black Ops came out for the Wii. It was downgraded in order for it to run on the platform.

A game that has a console as the lead but is enhanced for PC is receiving an upgrade. This is the category that games upgraded for PS4 Pro will be in.

The PS4 Pro versions of games will not be the lead as far as Sony is saying. The games it gets should be viewed as upgrades. It's literally when a game is upgraded from a weaker platform to a stronger one.

If the Pro ever becomes the lead platform, then standard PS4 games should be viewed as downgrades from the intended experience.
true, however what you have to remember is (if I understand it correctly) it's 1 piece of software for the Ps4 and Ps4 pro. If you want a Ps4 version of the game, that's the same disc you shove in either the original or the pro and the specs will appropriate itself as such. As far as I understand it, there won't be Ps4 pro versions but the spec options will be part of the game.

diaspora

You're not contradicting me.

You're not contradicting me.
You said this.

What I'm generally getting at is that one SKU for a piece of software better better than another SKU doesn't necessitate that the latter has "downgrades". It has whatever feature set it can have given the platform.

I disagreed. Whatever feature set it can have given the platform can absolutely be a downgrade, per the Wii example. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning, though.

diaspora

You said this.

I disagreed. Whatever feature set it can have given the platform can absolutely be a downgrade, per the Wii example. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning, though.

I mean the Wii example is still wrong if the game operates with whatever feature-set it can on the given platform, the question of downgrading enters the picture when content and features start to go missing inexplicably. i.e. killing previously shown content or worsening performance on the same platform.

I mean the Wii example is still wrong if the game operates with whatever feature-set it can on the given platform, the question of downgrading enters the picture when content and features start to go missing inexplicably. i.e. killing previously shown content or worsening performance on the same platform.
if it's the same port of a game how is the Wii example wrong?

The content of the title is exactly the same no?
well the content is never 100% exactly the same

it's like how Patryn explained it to me a year ago when I was asking about the Ps3 port of Me2.

it's like 2 different people wearing the exact same halloween costume. Ps3/360 versions of the game may look exactly the same, just like the two people look identical in the same halloween costumes, but underneath, it's different and a different way of making it work. similarities being it has to be two people of similar build in order to look that indistinguishable, subsequently the more compatible two different hardwares are, the more similar the ports will be.

Wii got shafted more because of how much more behind it was

diaspora

well the content is never 100% exactly the same

it's like how Patryn explained it to me a year ago when I was asking about the Ps3 port of Me2.

it's like 2 different people wearing the exact same halloween costume. Ps3/360 versions of the game may look exactly the same, just like the two people look identical in the same halloween costumes, but underneath, it's different and a different way of making it work. similarities being it has to be two people of similar build in order to look that indistinguishable, subsequently the more compatible two different hardwares are, the more similar the ports will be.

Wii got shafted more because of how much more behind it was

That doesn't really explain anything- it's ultimately the same game with an additional control scheme. Does it perform worse? Arguably the only thing making it a "downgrade" is the lack of the splitscreen feature.

edit: this is going in circles. Here, have a picture of ME1 downsampled from 8K:

Patryn

It's especially going in circles because we're talking theoreticals.

We can discuss again once we see footage of it on a regular PS4 and a PS4 Pro and compare and contrast the two.

Just got back from seeing the Magnificent 7. I really feel that the idea of fortifying a town against an imminent threat and deploying a small squad would be something that could be really cool for Mass Effect.

That doesn't really explain anything- it's ultimately the same game with an additional control scheme. Does it perform worse? Arguably the only thing making it a "downgrade" is the lack of the splitscreen feature.

edit: this is going in circles. Here, have a picture of ME1 downsampled from 8K:
well it goes back to saying that downgrade wasn't the right word, I guess.

Was playing through Kasumi: Stolen Memory today and it surprised me how much the soundtrack for her mission feels like I'm listening to a Deus Ex: Human Revolution piece and how it doesn't feel out of place in the Mass Effect universe.

I wouldn't exactly complain if Andromeda had kind of a similar vibe.

Yeul

Was playing through Kasumi: Stolen Memory today and it surprised me how much the soundtrack for her mission feels like I'm listening to a Deus Ex: Human Revolution piece and how it doesn't feel out of place in the Mass Effect universe.

I wouldn't exactly complain if Andromeda had kind of a similar vibe.

I love Kasumi, she's so much fun. There are definitely a few songs from DE:HR that remind me of that sort of "vibe" so to speak. Namely, this one and this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom