• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just got my Wii U... thoughts...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
some random thoughts... first let's get the bad out of the way... holy shit is the UI slow.. it's plugged in to the TV, powered up, I'm setting up, and.. I couldn't even play a single game until almost 1.5 hours later... that spring update download is laughably horrible (over WiFi at least). Beyond that.. there is just a lag to everything on the UI. Not major.. but noticeable. Sony and XBONE pushing "instant everything" is going to be a big deal if they hit the mark.

ok... that is literally all of the bad out of the way IMHO. The good.

First off.. Wii U fucking fixed my TV. So kudos to that. As much as I don't care about ANY of the live TV stuff on XBONE (hey guess what MS... cable cutters are growing.. I only have OTA so your shit is useless to me), Wii U just gave me back an OTA program guide, something I lost ever since TV Guide stopped broadcasting guide data OTA. Remote control also works PERFECTLY with my TV, and overall is BETTER and faster than the guide my TV has (had) built in. Being able to search for stuff and saying "You can watch it on Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, or Channel 6.1" is a pretty big godsend. It actually beats my Apple TV even in that respect (even if I like the ATV UI for those apps better). Anyway, that covers all I give a shit about media.. But kudos to Nintendo for giving me an implementation that I can actually use, compared to MS.

Ok... games.. So far NSMBU, ZombiU, and NintendoLand (and the Rayman Challenge app or whatever). All so far are easily on par with PS360.. I would say Rayman actually looks better than most PS360 (crazy friggin lush at 1080p) Gamepad as a controller isn't the most comfortable.. but I'm guessing that can be solved with a Classic Controller Pro. I am looking forward to some classic Nintendo-style first party stuff.. Which sadly it looks like will mostly be next year :(. But in the meantime Super Luigi rocks.. can't wait for Pikmin, and TW101 looks gorgeous.

Miiverse.. I actually get Sony's and MS' push into the social space, and especially the proprietary social space.. I also feel that this and the gamepad (more in a second on that) are more next-gen than 18 CUs, 8GB GDDR5, etc. Specs are super nice and all... but this is the stuff where it's like "wow, we had nothing like that last gen". Miiverse is pretty slick... and nice for help, or to give help, or just to have fun... spent a ton of time just looking at artwork that people post.. incredible.

gamepad.. so here is the thing with Wii U... until you use it for a few hours, and use the Gamepad to do everything.. It really doesn't click. It's a Nintendo system, with a Vita-like controller that can't do anything on it's own. It's not a tablet or game system, but tries to act like one. Yeah, I said the same thing everyone else did.. And then you use it for a few hours and something starts to happen... You find yourself doing some things exclusively/instinctively on the gamepad.. And then a game like Rayman or ZombiU comes along and does something with the gamepad where you are like "heh.. that was pretty cool".. and then you start watching something on TV and you are like "oh hey, I want to check on this real quick" and it amazingly enough works without stopping what you are watching.

Wii U without the Gamepad would be cheaper and probably could have been released sooner.. But honestly WITH the gamepad (and the social features)... IMHO Nintendo HAS released the first next-gen console. And this is coming from someone who still primarily plays on PS3 and pre-ordered his launch PS4 the tuesday it was available. No it isn't as powerful as the other two.. and it's going to be tough as hell to port multi-platform games to.. but in the next-gen "features" that I believe will TRULY define next-gen... I was shocked to find (yes, actually shocked) that the Wii U stood tall against its upcoming competition.

Things I would like to see:

Classic Nintendo-style first party games... C'mon Nintendo.. people are basically going to just buy this system for your titles... and maybe the few third party titles that shine along.. So where are our Mario Galaxys? F-Zeros? Fire Emblems? Paper Mario RPG? Pokemon worthwhile game (MMO???) Heck, even 3DS has awesome new content from you guys like Pushmo and such.

twitch/ustream/miiverse/etc streaming... at 8GB on basic.. I'm not sure they could get away with doing a DVR like Sony or XBONE (32GB would be fine, depending on how fast the flash is) but we already know the off-screen mirroring to the Gamepad is encoded/decoded in real time.. So open this up. Sign the deals. Take that signal that already exists and let us send it to at the very least Miiverse... otherwise a major league provider.

Gamepad Pro. I would pay $150 for a) a capacitive screen, b) better battery, c) faster processor (and d) thinner and lighter???).. it doesn't even have to change the functionality of the Gamepad at all.. Just give us a slightly smoother and better quality of life experience with, IMHO, the defining experience of your system.

finally.. speed up the UI.. you have a 3-core PowerPC processor and 2GB of RAM.. yes you'll hit limitations in games on this... but with that setup your UI should be silky smooth.

Anyway, great system... hardware is worth the price of admission.. games are a tough nut right now.. a few really worthwhile ones, and it looks like 2014 is going to get us back to the reason why BUY Nintendo systems (outside of the mainstream fluke that was the Wii). I think a price drop and a perfect 3D Mario, new 3D Zelda, and Mario Kart later and this system will actually move respectable (albeit still 3rd place) numbers. The experience they have here IS IMHO absolutely next-gen... it would be a shame to get to the end of that gen thinking "uggh.. why did they waste it with no classic nintendo games?"

BD1

Banned
I agree with you the social aspects are the most "next gen" parts of the console.

edit: And I don't mean that in any derogatory way.

With regards to the slow UI, hopefully that gets fixed in the Summer update, whenever that comes out. In the Spring update it seems like they just hid the clunkiness of the loading times for menus by having the visual menus pop up faster but locking you out of actually selecting anything while it is loading, which is pointless. Nintendo really needs to update it so that it's a quick transition between the menus because the competition is showing they're doing that and it'd help promote some of the slick ideas they have for the system (especially Miiverse).

Sendou

You might want to know that there's another big update coming up (scheduled for "summer") that is supposed to improve the UI speed further and probably include other improvements.

borghe

It's hard to explain until you've got one at home. That GamePad attraction.

I now completely understand everyone saying this, and it's true. I have no idea how Nintendo can even "fix" this perception. PS4 has it easy IMHO. After enjoying the system for six months, "oh wait, so if I buy this totally optional system I can do super cool things?" Nintendo basically has to make this argument out of the gate. Not an enviable place to be in.

With that being said, yeah... anyone who sits down for any decent time with the system and runs it through its paces will absolutely see why Nintendo made the right choice here. Now they just have to figure out how to sell that to people who don't have that opportunity before making the decision to buy. Wii they lucked out in that it became a phenomenon. Here they definitely won't have that luxury.

Your point about the Gamepad is so true. Until you have it at home, and you start using it to watch TV, Netflix, surf the Internet, play games, etc, it's hard to really understand why it's so awesome. It sort of takes over your living room.

Forkball

The Miiverse is probably the best innovation for the Wii U. It is constantly active, there's a nice community, and Nintendo integrates it very well into their games. New Super Mario Bros. U and New Luigi U are also excellent Mario games.

Sendou

I like my Wii U. I just need more to play on it.

This. Every time I boot up it to play little Nintendo Land I get sad seeing it that dusty :/ Doesn't help that I'm not that big on horror games so that's 25% of wortwhile exclusive games not considered from the gate.

The Miiverse is probably the best innovation for the Wii U. It is constantly active, there's a nice community, and Nintendo integrates it very well into their games. New Super Mario Bros. U and New Luigi U are also excellent Mario games.

New Super Mario Bros. U is the best 2D Mario so far. Close second is SMW, also playable on Wii U.

I like your ideas but I don't think a capacitive screen would work. My hands get in the way of what I'm seeing on my iPhone. I couldn't imagine using my 3DS with my fingers. I wouldn't be able to see the bottom screen with my big hands. Not to mention the issue of fingerprints which drive me NUTS! I know the WiiU gamepad is bigger than a 3DS screen but I can't see using my fingers during the games.

Besides, your fingers still work on the gamepad too.

I like the OP, he knows his stuff.

I agree with everything you said. The system has pros and cons, though more of the former and less of the latter.
It WAS worse when the system was still fresh, but now it's a really nice system. All that's missing are the games, sadly.

borghe

I agree with you the social aspects are the most "next gen" parts of the console.

edit: And I don't mean that in any derogatory way.
Miiverse completely validates Sony's and MS' push into proprietary social spaces. The way they have it implemented across the entire system is incredible.

I like my Wii U. I just need more to play on it.
Absolutely. I'm betting on Nintendo coming through on this (hopefully I don't lose). A Wii U with an N64-, GCN- or even Wii-caliber first party library will be a beautiful system.

I like your ideas but I don't think a capacitive screen would work. My hands get in the way of what I'm seeing on my iPhone. I couldn't imagine using my 3DS with my fingers. I wouldn't be able to see the bottom screen with my big hands. Not to mention the issue of fingerprints which drive me NUTS! I know the WiiU gamepad is bigger than a 3DS screen but I can't see using my fingers during the games.

to maintain compatibility it would have to include a capacitive stylus.. yeah. I DO LIKE the use of the stylus. As an App Store developer sometimes using the 44 point touch guidelines for UI development are a pain. It's just that targets on the Gamepad that ARE touch-sized end up being imprecise using your finger.

Saiyan-Rox

Quick question about the wii U ever since the spring update when I go into the system settings then exit out my wii I no longer picks up my external HDD needs a reboot is that the same with others?

I enjoy the wii U it's just needs games soooo badly!

It's a good console. Third parties, the games media, and the majority of GAF think otherwise, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it anyway. You also bought at a good time since the flow of new games starts next month, so you don't have to go through the lull we early adopters did.

I second the recommendation for Lego City, btw.

flc

but I'm guessing that can be solved with a Classic Controller Pro.

Yeah, it's really comfortable, and the battery life is actually more than the 80 hours they advertise. Definitely pick one up for games that support it. The stick layout feels weird to begin with though, took me a while to get used to it.

Tripon

I thought the spring update fixed a lot of UI lag, but maybe I'm just comparing it to what it was before, and it can certainly get better. One nice side benefit for the Wii U and the gamepad is that this is probably the first time you can actually use a console to browse the internet. Unfortunately, the Wii U browser doesn't support flash, but it does support HTML5, which makes it a great box to watch Youtube, and Netflix on.

Other sites that don't have html5 capabilities yet like gametrailers.com unfortunately won't play their videos.

Now just get me some games I would play on it.

SmokyDave

I'd like mine a lot more if I could buy a 'pro pad' upgrade. I like the concept of the gamepad, but the execution just feels too cheap and toylike. I've found myself using it less and less as the weeks go by.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Go buy Lego City Undercover now.

Yeah, this. For the most epic ending of a game in the recent times. And tons of content.

I really like the Gamepad too, it is so ... natural to use once you get to see the advantages. It's not that easy to get back to regular controllers after it.

Rezae

Plan on buying a Wii U on Monday. My daughter loves Mario (and I've already got a sealed copy of Monster Hunter from a recent sale), and at this point a Nintendo system seems like the perfect compliment to my PC (along with my handhelds, Vita and 3DS). The off screen play is the biggest selling point to me and I'm curious about Miiverse.

Sendou

I'd like mine a lot more if I could buy a 'pro pad' upgrade. I like the concept of the gamepad, but the execution just feels too cheap and toylike. I've found myself using it less and less as the weeks go by.

I'm disappointed with the screen. Otherwise it's one of the best controllers I have used. I don't see what's so cheap (except the screen) or toylike about it necessarily.

Tripon

Makes me wonder just Peter Moore and EA wasn't getting about Nintendo's online capabilities. I wish more people knew about the miiverse, its an easy way to get people hooked.

I recommend Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, unless you are not a fan of the franchise, no better time to get lost in that universe. Also, get Tank! Tank! Tank! for free on the eShop, it's fun with friends.

lt519

Glad you enjoy it so far. Including the Gamepad with the system will place the Wii U really far ahead of the PS4/Xbone as far as second screen gaming/multitasking goes.

No one gets it until they start playing games like Black Ops II on the gamepad while taking a shit or falling asleep in bed.

SmokyDave

I'm disappointed with the screen. Otherwise it's one of the best controllers I have used. I don't see what's so cheap (except the screen) or toylike about it necessarily.

It's predominantly the screen I was thinking of. It's jarring going from a modern smartphone / tablet / Vita to the Wii U and its plastic, greyish screen. It's so washed out too, it really robs some games of their vibrancy. I'd happily pay more for a decent glass screen on par with my other devices, and adding a larger battery in there to up the weight of the device wouldn't hurt either.

I look forward to using one for the gamepad screen while someone else is using the main TV at home. However upon trying one for the first time I was not impressed by New Super Mario Bros and I could see the complaints about the screen being low resolution and what was most jarring was the lack of colours popping up opposed to the screen. I like Nintendo games and will get the console eventually when things come out for it by 2014.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Before even praising its versatility, mere ergonomics of the GamePad are magnificient. The way it's sculpted makes it extremely confortable to hold.

It's definitely a lego game, and with that there are definitely caveats, but I've watched my fiancé play a lot of it, and I'm honestly impressed. Pretty good writing, a surprisingly big and deep world, and way more polish and things to do than I ever would have expected.

Exile20

I agree completely with what you said and in the second part of the year, people that are complaining there are no games are going to be begging Nintendo for a breather.

Chojin

Totally sold on the gamepad. The 3 hour charge time doesn't bother me too much as I can keep it plugged in. I will be buying an extended battery at some time though.

But its hard to just talk about it. People have to have it in their hands. I see so many people talk with disdain about the pad but once they put it in their hands and they're the ghost chasing us around in Nintendoland, they have a blast.

I also got a Wii U a few days back.

I think the gamepad is pointless. It's not comfortable to use (I feel like I'm holding a keyboard), it's more delicate than a regular controller, and has shit battery life. The screen is also really crappy. Even when I'm not using it, the system forces me to keep it out in order to start games, use the eshop, or change system settings. None of those things require touch to function, yet Nintendo made it so regardless. I also have to find space to store and charge this gigantic controller. By far the biggest problem of this console. Nintendo really needs to release an update that makes the system fully operable with a pro controller or wii remote. Then release the system without the gamepad for $200.

About Miiverse, I don't see the big deal. Tried the NSMB page and it felt like reading a twitter feed or someone's facebook page. It's not like a real forum. Everyone has the same avatar so I have no idea who is talking.

The system itself is sometimes not responsive (when I touch things on the gamepad) and takes an unusual amount of time to start up. I used to the think my ps3 was slow to start, but it feels fast now compared to this.

jmls1121

Banned
I agree with OP's sentiments.

I think the Wii U is the best system Nintendo has ever released. I really do.

There problem is marketing. This is a tougher sell than the Wii. But once you use the Wii U for awhile everything just clicks. Japan-centric Nintendo has always had a hard time marketing its products, but they really need to succeed on this for the fall.

Its a pure gaming machine, and any of its ancillary features (the god-tier browser, miiverse, the TV remote) add to the gaming experience, and do not detract from it.

lol I only ever use my fingers on wiiu. Stylus is annoying. Works great btw as is.

Sendou

It's predominantly the screen I was thinking of. It's jarring going from a modern smartphone / tablet / Vita to the Wii U and its plastic, greyish screen. It's so washed out too, it really robs some games of their vibrancy. I'd happily pay more for a decent glass screen on par with my other devices, and adding a larger battery in there to up the weight of the device wouldn't hurt either.

Well that I can agree with. It's not a very good screen. I'm comparing it to 3DS XL so it's not like my standards are high or anything like that.

Mael

I can't second this enough,
seriously I thought it was going to be some lameass game that people were latching onto since there wasn't much to play Declassified style but it really is good and worth even the price of entry!

borghe

Answer this question, OP!

they are literal pauses in my line of thought. deal.... with it. :D

I was reading some info on the Gamepad, and where some of you say you don't like the screen much, it almost looks certain that Nintendo is encoding the stream to YUV4:2:0. You can see this most prominently on like the red Netflix screen. My TV is calibrated balls-on, and the red on my TV is NOTICEABLY richer than the Gamepad, which is a telltale sign that color information is being reduced in the encode. So a new Gamepad/better screen wouldn't fix it. Nintendo would actually need to change their off-screen encoding.

javadots

Banned
Thoughts: You could have waited until next year. You're going to have to wait until March regardless :p

Also, save the receipt.

We have a product for you.. it's PS4 + PSVITA

jmls1121

Banned
I agree completely with what you said and in the second part of the year, people that are complaining there are no games are going to be begging Nintendo for a breather.

Look at the turnaround for the 3DS. The same people declaring the 3DS dead are the same people declaring the WiiU dead now. They didn't learn from their mistakes.

This is a MUCH different situation than the Gamecube, which was DOA even though Nintendo had a great launch lineup, due to the phenomenon that was PS2.

Nintendo hasn't released its big games yet.

Top Bottom