• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Lin Siniang
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:19 AM)
Lin Siniang's Avatar
Any time an old game comes up you'll have a whole brigade of gamers who use the argument that the love for the game only boils down to nostalgia. There is a not a single more lazy, vapid, and all around insulting "argument" than this one.

More that that, nostalgia - half the time - is used incorrectly in the completely wrong context. It is as if some people watched Mad Men's season 1 finale, only to find themselves a new favorite word.

Stop it. It isn't constructive, it doesn't lend to constructive debate, it just makes people angry and makes you look foolish.
Amir0x
demodded, not denutted
(07-14-2013, 12:20 AM)
Amir0x's Avatar
that's just you being nostalgic for the good ol' days
morikaze
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:21 AM)
morikaze's Avatar
Agreed.
Sethos
Banned
(07-14-2013, 12:21 AM)
Sethos's Avatar
Nothing like people bringing rose tinted nostalgia glasses to a discussion.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(07-14-2013, 12:21 AM)
Fun fact: People can have nostalgia for games that came out only a few years ago.
Kokonoe
Banned
(07-14-2013, 12:23 AM)
Absolutely, it makes no sense and has no basis. It's like someone telling you MY OPINION > YOUR OPINION.
Nostalgia just means a memory of a past good time, it doesn't mean you're biased.

Also reminds me of when "objectively" is used for preference, that would be "subjectively".
Courage
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:23 AM)
Courage's Avatar
I don't see how it's lazy. Memories are a strong component of why I replay old games.

I can admit if the game is bad though.
Yagharek
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Lin Siniang

Any time an old game comes up you'll have a whole brigade of gamers who use the argument that the love for the game only boils down to nostalgia. There is a not a single more lazy, vapid, and all around insulting "argument" than this one.

More that that, nostalgia - half the time - is used incorrectly in the completely wrong context. It is as if some people watched Mad Men's season 1 finale, only to find themselves a new favorite word.

Stop it. It isn't constructive, it doesn't lend to constructive debate, it just makes people angry and makes you look foolish.

Agreed so much. Nostalgia is often used as a dismissive discussion killer. I often think some people are of the opinion that newer equals better, when often it is not the case.
Teppic
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
Teppic's Avatar
I agree with you in general, but sometimes it really is just nostalgia.
morikaze
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
morikaze's Avatar

Originally Posted by Sethos

Nothing like people bringing rose tinted nostalgia glasses to a discussion.

Flawed nostalgia tinted dismissive reasoning isn't too great either. Nostalgia is real and part of why lots of old games are still so revered, but many old games truly are just that good. Good game design is timeless.
Last edited by morikaze; 07-14-2013 at 12:27 AM.
Andrew_Korenchkin
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
Andrew_Korenchkin's Avatar
Nostalgia is indeed a bitch, but thankfully I'm to that point where I'm well aware that Nostalgia is something I avert fully and realize it's nothing but a smoke and mirrors magic trick.

I tried playing a Hot Wheels game I had fond memories of as a kid. It came clear that reality stinks as I realize that cell phone games provide more interesting experiences.
famousmortimer
Banned
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
famousmortimer's Avatar
Ask people not to talk a certain way has never worked ever. For instance, I'm really sick of the term "salty." But if i was to make a thread about it I would just get 9000 posts calling me salty. Or being salty about salty!


Basically it would backfire. Much like this thread will.
Afrodium
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:24 AM)
Afrodium's Avatar
If you can still play a game today and thoroughly enjoy it, then it can be safely said that your enjoyment is not based on nostalgia.

If it's a game you "love" that you haven't played in ten years, then you may want to revisit it. Go play DK64 again and get back to me.
RetroStu
if MS brings back their DRM policies on Xbone during the new console cycle, please alert Batman immediately
(07-14-2013, 12:25 AM)
RetroStu's Avatar
I have talked many times about the 16bit era being the 'golden era' of gaming and how games then felt magical and it was all about the fun factor etc, people say that its just nostalgia talking but i still play those games today on emulators, its not old memories talking.
Kyari
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:25 AM)
Kyari's Avatar
It really depends entirely on the context of the use of the word nostalgia. I can think of many legitimate reasons to say you enjoy a game purely for nostalgic purposes.
baphomet
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:25 AM)
baphomet's Avatar
Nostalgia is a very real thing, and sometimes that's exactly why people enjoy things. I know it's a huge reason I enjoy some retro stuff. Of course some is legitimately good, but some are not.
Courage
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:25 AM)
Courage's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyari

It really depends entirely on the context of the use of the word nostalgia. I can think of many legitimate reasons to say you enjoy a game purely for nostalgic purposes.

Agreed.
injurai
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:25 AM)
injurai's Avatar

Originally Posted by Teppic

I agree with you in general, but sometimes it really is just nostalgia.

The point is that it doesn't matter if it's present or not. People become attuned to the games that play and it shapes their tastes.
Village
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
Village's Avatar
We say its nostalgia because you can't give us a good reason why this thing in the old game was good, or why its good in general.
Jinfash
needs 2 extra inches
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
Jinfash's Avatar
I somewhat agree, but at the same time, when two people are having a discussion about a game they played in two completely different eras, it's hard not to attribute the discrepancy in their opinions partially to nostalgia and context of that experience. On the other hand, I'll always respect people who go back to replaying all-time favorites for the sake of reevaluation, and if they so choose to stick to their opinions, it's definitely justified.
Yagharek
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

Nostalgia is indeed a bitch, but thankfully I'm to that point where I'm well aware that Nostalgia is something I avert fully and realize it's nothing but a smoke and mirrors magic trick.

I tried playing a Hot Wheels game I had fond memories of as a kid. It came clear that reality stinks as I realize that cell phone games provide more interesting experiences.

Last week I played a mega drive game that I enjoy more than any smartphone game I've ever tried. What now?
anaron
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
anaron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Courage

I don't see how it's lazy. Memories are a strong component of why I replay old games.

I can admit if the game is bad though.

it's mostly about the way it's used to deny the player's own credibility in what he or she feels toward the game. Many of us actually can divorce the younger experience and still find ways to appreciate it today.
ohlawd
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
ohlawd's Avatar
Nostalgia runs wild with Pokemon fans. New games > older games

But then RBY curbstomps FRLG so iunno what I'm trying to say here.
Tain
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:27 AM)
Tain's Avatar
saying I like an old game due to nostalgia is pretty much just calling me a dummy who can't identify when I'm nostalgic for something
Lin Siniang
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:28 AM)
Lin Siniang's Avatar
I'm not saying nostalgia doesn't exist; it does. But it is often impertinent to a debate. That said, people who say snes and genesis games were more "magical" or whatever, and thus all new games are shit are just as bad, in my eyes.
Of All Trades
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:28 AM)
Of All Trades's Avatar
So what's the alternative, that people be accused of having tastes and preferences that didn't grow or evolve? That they're cowards who are afraid to challenge their own beliefs?
morikaze
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:28 AM)
morikaze's Avatar

Originally Posted by RetroStu

I have talked many times about the 16bit era being the 'golden era' of gaming and how games then felt magical and it was all about the fun factor etc, people say that its just nostalgia talking but i still play those games today on emulators, its not old memories talking.

Having just played through LttP again for the first time in about 3 years I can confirm this. I also played through Final Fantasy VI and it's not as good as I remembered, mostly because the translation and how cheesy some parts of the story are. Still a great game though.
Last edited by morikaze; 07-14-2013 at 12:32 AM.
CambriaRising
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:29 AM)
CambriaRising's Avatar
There are tons of bad games that people like due to nostalgia.

Hell, there are bad games I like due to nostalgia.
Kokonoe
Banned
(07-14-2013, 12:29 AM)

Originally Posted by ohlawd

Nostalgia runs wild with Pokemon fans. New games > older games

But then RBY curbstomps FRLG so iunno what I'm trying to say here.

Here's something I wrote about Pokemon and nostalgia, it'll probably help you better understand what you said at the bottom.

Originally Posted by Kokonoe

Nostalgia

Another thing that is brought up is that people will reference nostalgia if they like the previous versions, however, that line of thinking doesn't make sense. Nostalgia simply means a memory of a past good time, it does not mean biased, and nostalgia will never have that effect unless the person is biased. Because someone likes something else, it doesn't equate to a specific negative reason, and to tie to to that would make you actually the biased one.

I think using nostalgia is rather silly in itself, there are reasons people like whatever they like. Now, if it's from someone who stopped playing at the original games and says "the newer Pokemon games are terrible, blahblahblah." then there's where that argument can be brought up. For those who will say they liked the older generations more, and have participated in the later gens, I don't think it's fair at all to label that as nostalgia. It can easily be thrown around without any given reason, and has no basis unless it's what I stated before about never playing the games.

Let's say DPP/BW are your favorite versions, and ten years from now you still think they are your favorites, that wouldn't make you "nostalgic". And yes, I think there are highs and lows to every generation, it's purely preference in the end.

Kyari
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:29 AM)
Kyari's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yagharek

Last week I played a mega drive game that I enjoy more than any smartphone game I've ever tried. What now?

I have recently been re-assembling a collection of Mega Drive games after losing mine as a kid. It hurts so much spending money on games you know are awful but enjoyed so much as a kid that you want them back in your life.
SuperSonic1305
(07-14-2013, 12:30 AM)
SuperSonic1305's Avatar
Final Fantasy 7 is the best game ever made. Let's fight about it.
zero shift
oh man u fell for it u thought i was serious lolololol i got u
(07-14-2013, 12:30 AM)
zero shift's Avatar
I've played plenty of games from previous generations recently that I've never played before:

Duke Nukem 3D
Super Metroid
Ocarina of Time
Chrono Trigger
Ranger-X
Musha Aleste
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Metal Gear 2 (MSX game)
Pulseman
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Banjo Kazooie
etc.

I had more fun with these games than the majority of the best titles of this generation. Hell even Goldeneye was pretty fun at times with multiplayer.
flak57
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:31 AM)
The nostalgia argument is bullshit. Every opinion anyone has about anything is influenced by past life experiences. If nostalgia is used to invalidate one opinion, it invalidates ALL of them.
Last edited by flak57; 07-14-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Oblivion
Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
(07-14-2013, 12:32 AM)
Here's a question:

Are Zelda: PH and ST better than LttP and LA?


If you say "no", does that mean you're blinded by nostalgia?
Andrew_Korenchkin
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:32 AM)
Andrew_Korenchkin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Yagharek

Last week I played a mega drive game that I enjoy more than any smartphone game I've ever tried. What now?

Than that game is simply an amazing game due to it being exactly a game that has held up all these years. Nostalgia and passage of time are not necessarily conflated.

It's the same reason that Tetris is still amazing despite being released in 1984.
RetroStu
if MS brings back their DRM policies on Xbone during the new console cycle, please alert Batman immediately
(07-14-2013, 12:32 AM)
RetroStu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kyari

I have recently been re-assembling a collection of Mega Drive games after losing mine as a kid. It hurts so much spending money on games you know are awful but enjoyed so much as a kid that you want them back in your life.

You can download a Genesis emulator with every game ever released for less than 1gig, i hope you just prefer owning the physical games!.
Deadbeat
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:33 AM)
Deadbeat's Avatar
I didnt play System Shock 2 until a few months before Bioshock. Where was the nostalgia convincing me SS2 was a better game after I played Bioshock? No, it was SS2 itself that convinced me it was the better game.

Thats how good games work. They last. The dominate.
legacyzero
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:33 AM)
legacyzero's Avatar
I like old games. I like games that make me feel nostalgic.

I dont even understand why this is annoying to you OP.
Village
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:33 AM)
Village's Avatar

Originally Posted by Oblivion

Here's a question:

Are Zelda: PH and ST better than LttP and LA?


If you say "no", does that mean you're blinded by nostalgia?

No, if you can't tell me why. Then we have an issue.

Well if you cant tell me why and we happen to be talking about it. Otherwise its your thing dude.
Satchel
Banned
(07-14-2013, 12:34 AM)
Satchel's Avatar
Rose coloured glasses cloud everyone's judgement in one context or another.

Be it movies, music, games or what have you. Music probably less so I'd say. Good music is good music and it isn't really affected by technology (to an extent) or new methods of creating music.

But with games and movies though, yeah, I've done my best over the years to not be affected by rose coloured glasses. I'm not overly old by any stretch at 33, but given gaming in its modern form is only really 30 or so years old, I'd say I classify as an "old" person who would be susceptible to such a view.

Most old games really don't hold up. My OCD wont let me let go of my old consoles, but honestly, outside Super Punch Out, Donkey Kong Country, Streets of Rage 2 and Daytona USA, not a great deal of older games hold up that well for me. Despite owning a tonne of them. I mean, I canLAY the, for short periods, but the ones I listed are the only ones I can fully get immersed in again as if they were new games.
Rehynn
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:34 AM)
Rehynn's Avatar

Originally Posted by CambriaRising

There are tons of bad games that people like due to nostalgia.

Hell, there are bad games I like due to nostalgia.

YYYYUP. For example, I'm pretty sure X-Games Pro Boarder is actually not a good game, but I love it because it was my first and only snowboarding game for years and I played the SHIT out of it, thanks in large part to its incredible soundtrack.

However, I do agree that it can be a very lazy argument, and find it infuriating when someone dismisses my love of (old) Zelda games as "Nintendo nostaliga." I played Majora and Link to the Past for the first time 2 years ago, FFS.
Last edited by Rehynn; 07-14-2013 at 12:37 AM.
RetroStu
if MS brings back their DRM policies on Xbone during the new console cycle, please alert Batman immediately
(07-14-2013, 12:34 AM)
RetroStu's Avatar

Originally Posted by zero shift

I've played plenty of games from previous generations recently that I've never played before:

Duke Nukem 3D
Super Metroid
Ocarina of Time
Chrono Trigger
Ranger-X
Musha Aleste
Ocarina of Time
Link to the Past
Metal Gear 2 (MSX game)
Pulseman
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Banjo Kazooie
etc.

I had more fun with these games than the majority of the best titles of this generation. Hell even Goldeneye was pretty fun at times with multiplayer.

Goldeneye was probably the best multiplayer experience i have ever had, i used to infuriate my friends by picking 'OddJob' and running in circles around them and picking them off while they struggled to hit me due to how short i was lol.
Kyari
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:34 AM)
Kyari's Avatar

Originally Posted by RetroStu

You can download a Genesis emulator with every game ever released for less than 1gig, i hope you just prefer owning the physical games!.

While this is true (and illegal) there is just something nice about owning physical cartridges and the original console.
Of All Trades
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
Of All Trades's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tain

saying I like an old game due to nostalgia is pretty much just calling me a dummy who can't identify when I'm nostalgic for something

Well, yeah. It's just that outright calling someone stupid or ignorant can get you banned.

The nostalgia argument is bullshit. Every opinion anyone has about anything is based on past life experiences. If nostalgia is used to invalidate one opinion, it invalidates ALL of them.

Do you realize that the english language contains a lot of words with similar meanings but different tone and intent, and that certain words are meant to indicate more extreme versions of an idea?
cacildo
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
cacildo's Avatar
usually people scream "nostalgia!" when i point that the ps2 era had a lot more diversity of games than the ps3/360 era

i still stick to my opinion
Gestahl
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)

Originally Posted by Lin Siniang

Any time an old game comes up you'll have a whole brigade of gamers who use the argument that the love for the game only boils down to nostalgia. There is a not a single more lazy, vapid, and all around insulting "argument" than this one.

More that that, nostalgia - half the time - is used incorrectly in the completely wrong context. It is as if some people watched Mad Men's season 1 finale, only to find themselves a new favorite word.

Stop it. It isn't constructive, it doesn't lend to constructive debate, it just makes people angry and makes you look foolish.

The bellowing of "ignore it!" every time someone dares level any sort of criticism against a game is tedious to listen to as well, but I have to agree there's something special about the nostalgia putdown. I don't think I've ever seen it used as a worthwhile criticism in the context of games (though nostalgia is a very real thing when it ends up being the entire argument for one side of a discussion you can't help but nod your head and move on without making direct eye contact).
Rm88~
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
Rm88~'s Avatar
I recently was told by a GAF member that modern 2D games with digital inputs are made only because of nostalgia.

Another weird use of "nostalgia" is to bash modern Nintendo games. "Man, new Mario games suck! You only like them because of nostalgia. I on the other hand understand they're bad because I prefer the Mario games I played as a child when I was young and impressionable".
Yagharek
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
Yagharek's Avatar

Originally Posted by Andrew_Korenchkin

Than that game is simply an amazing game due to it being exactly a game that has held up all these years. Nostalgia and passage of time are not necessarily conflated.

It's the same reason that Tetris is still amazing despite being released in 1984.

I was more making the point that different opinions exist, in support of the OP's assertion that it is invalid to try and dismiss an opinion because 'nostalgia'.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar
Dumb people are going to be dumb.
tiggerkiddo
Member
(07-14-2013, 12:35 AM)
tiggerkiddo's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kokonoe

Absolutely, it makes no sense and has no basis. It's like someone telling you MY OPINION > YOUR OPINION.
Nostalgia just means a memory of a past good time, it doesn't mean you're biased.

Also reminds me of when "objectively" is used for preference, that would be "subjectively".

I agree whole heartedly

I see it as a lazy excuse at arguing.

Thread Tools