• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Peff
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:19 PM)
Peff's Avatar
594 MB update, apparently made by HexaDrive. I've played ZOE2 up until the battle with Leo and it's very smooth so far. If the rest of the game is similar it'll be the best version of the game easily.

Originally Posted by dark10x

Wow, this patch makes a world of difference. They did a hell of a good job.

Without sitting down and doing a full analysis, here is what I've noticed in ZOE2 (haven't tried the original yet)

1) Framerate now operates at a stable 60 fps making it much smoother than the non-patched version as well as the PS2 original. Only in the most extreme circumstances does the framerate dip and those dips are extremely minor.

2) Post processing anti-aliasing appears to have been added resulting in extremely crisp and clean image quality. The original release did not use any sort of anti-aliasing.

3) Particles effects are now rendered at full resolution. The PS2 original used low resolution particle effects in order to maintain decent performance. I cannot actually recall if this was also true of the initial HD release but I can confirm that particles are rendered at a much higher quality now.

Those are the primary changes and they completely transform the game. The entire snow sequence operates at 60 fps a good 99% of the time providing a faster, smoother experience than even the original release. It feels remarkably good.

I'm also interested in examining the textures as the ship interior appears to be extremely clean and sharp in a way that I would not have expected from PS2.

Last edited by Peff; 07-16-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Snapshot King
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:20 PM)
Snapshot King's Avatar

Originally Posted by Peff

594 MB update, apparently made by HexaDrive. I've played ZOE2 up until the battle with Leo and it's very smooth so far. If the rest of the game is similar it'll be the best version of the game easily.

This for both versions or just PS3?
brandnew
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:20 PM)
brandnew's Avatar
PS3 I assume? Hopefully this hits NA soon.
Freedom = $1.05
Akimbo Dogs
(07-15-2013, 09:21 PM)
Freedom = $1.05's Avatar
been waiting for this patch before buying the hd collection. hope it's good.
Andrefpvs
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:21 PM)
Andrefpvs's Avatar
Ohhh, the collection is also on sale on PSN as well at the moment (13.49 euros for Plus). Sounds like a good time to buy the game.
Tain
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:21 PM)
Tain's Avatar
hexadrive?

damn, I missed out. I played through ZOE2 for the first time via the PS2 version a week or so ago.
Ridley327
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:22 PM)
Ridley327's Avatar
Hexadrive did the patch? Makes you wonder why they didn't do the ports in the first place, but I'd have to think they had their hands full already with Okami HD.
Peff
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:22 PM)
Peff's Avatar
Yep, PS3. I think the patch was always meant to be PS3 only? Gimme a minute and I'll check the 360 version anyways.
Snapshot King
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:22 PM)
Snapshot King's Avatar
I'd be interested in detailed impressions to see if the PS3 version is now better than the 360 one. If so I'll double dip.
Jotamide
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:23 PM)
Jotamide's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandnew

PS3 I assume? Hopefully this hits NA soon.

Yep, I was on the verge of selling it. If this hits this or next week I guess I have no excuse to not play it.
chaosblade
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:24 PM)
chaosblade's Avatar
Looking forward to details. Been waiting on info on this patch before picking up the game.
Diebuster
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:24 PM)
Diebuster's Avatar
Anxiously awaiting impressions. I would have bought the collection Day 1 if HVS hadn't messed up so badly.
twelver
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:25 PM)
twelver's Avatar

Originally Posted by Diebuster

Anxiously awaiting impressions. I would have bought the collection Day 1 if HVS hadn't messed up so badly.

Same here.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:25 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar
Daaaaamn, they commissioned Hexadrive? Rez was fantastic, and I'm playing through Okami HD right now and it's an incredible port. If they fixed ZoE, this Xbox 360 copy is going straight in the trash.

And yes, the patch is supposed to be PS3 only... at least, that's what the reports from a month or two ago said.
Yawnier
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:26 PM)
Yawnier's Avatar

Originally Posted by brandnew

PS3 I assume? Hopefully this hits NA soon.

I hope so too. I had to quit my ZoE2 playthrough since the slowdown and framerate dropping was so bad once you got into a fight with enemies.
luka
Loves Robotech S1
(07-15-2013, 09:26 PM)
luka's Avatar
Oh damn, wasn't expecting it so soon. Is it out for Japan?
brandnew
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:27 PM)
brandnew's Avatar
Bought the collection when it was $18 or something from Best Buy last month. Haven't played it yet. Been waiting for this patch.
isual
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:30 PM)
what does the patch do anyways ?
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:30 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar

Originally Posted by isual

what does the patch do anyways ?

Makes it not run like donkey balls.
Canis lupus
Junior Member
(07-15-2013, 09:31 PM)
Canis lupus's Avatar
I can finally unbox my copy lol.
Baust
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:32 PM)
Baust's Avatar
Didn't the MGS4 trophy patch launch in EU and NA on the same day? If so, fingers crossed for an NA patch launching today too.
jj984jj
He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
(07-15-2013, 09:32 PM)
jj984jj's Avatar
Still need to buy the PS3 version, only got the 360 LE. HexaDrive does good work so I'll probably get it for the upgrade.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:34 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar
So realistically, the chances of the game getting re-released in the west, with the patch pre-installed, are basically zero, right?

Of course they are. Even I know that.

I might be making shit up here, but I seem to recall reading something about how Japan might get a rerelease of the game on the PS3... but who knows. It'd just be nice to have Zone of the Enders HD not be busted out of the box, nah mean?
Persona7
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:34 PM)
Persona7's Avatar
I'll buy the re-issued version of the game with the patch on the disk. Are they still going to do that?

Originally Posted by Chacranajxy

So realistically, the chances of the game getting re-released in the west, with the patch pre-installed, are basically zero, right?

Of course they are. Even I know that.

I might be making shit up here, but I seem to recall reading something about how Japan might get a rerelease of the game on the PS3... but who knows. It'd just be nice to have Zone of the Enders HD not be busted out of the box, nah mean?

I was pretty sure that I read that they planned to re-issue the game with the patch on the disk. I can't remember if it was Japan only or something like that but I hope not.
Tizoc
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:35 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar
Oh that's great to hear, I take it US ver. also got the update?
kdash7
Junior Member
(07-15-2013, 09:37 PM)
Is there a downloadable version of the game on PSN?
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:37 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Persona7

I'll buy the re-issued version of the game with the patch on the disk. Are they still going to do that?


I was pretty sure that I read that they planned to re-issue the game with the patch on the disk. I can't remember if it was Japan only or something like that but I hope not.

I mean, as far as I knew, the patch was only announced for Japan back when this whole plan was unveiled. It's possible the Japanese release would have English included though... maybe... y'know, if there were any justice in this world.
Shantom
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:37 PM)
Shantom's Avatar
So, nothing for the 360? Is the 360 version any good without this patch?
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:38 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zoidberg_Jesus

So, nothing for the 360? Is the 360 version any good without this patch?

It's aight. Has frame rate issues. Was better than the PS3 version out of the box, but it's debatable whether or not it's actually better than the PS2 original.

Which is fucking pathetic.


Konami has said nothing about fixing the 360 version. I imagine they don't want to bother with dirty Gaijin box.
T3CHN01R
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:38 PM)
I was putting off buying it because of the issues. Maybe it's time to finally drop some coin on it then!
luka
Loves Robotech S1
(07-15-2013, 09:38 PM)
luka's Avatar

Originally Posted by Persona7

I'll buy the re-issued version of the game with the patch on the disk. Are they still going to do that?


I was pretty sure that I read that they planned to re-issue the game with the patch on the disk. I can't remember if it was Japan only or something like that but I hope not.

In Japan the budget re-release will be fully patched. I'm waiting to try the patch out for myself, but if it's at least as good as the original framerate-wise I will double-dip on "the Best."
sixteen-bit
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:39 PM)
sixteen-bit's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zoidberg_Jesus

So, nothing for the 360? Is the 360 version any good without this patch?

Pre-patch the 360 version ran better than the PS3 version but still not as good as the PS2 originals.
Tizoc
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:40 PM)
Tizoc's Avatar

Originally Posted by kdash7

Is there a downloadable version of the game on PSN?

Yes the HD Collection is 8 GB on US and EU PSN, this is excluding the newly released ptach.
Eusis
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:41 PM)
Eusis's Avatar
Huh, maybe now I'll finally try to get through ZoE2 on normal. Assuming we see it in the US within a week anyway.
MikeE21286
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:41 PM)
MikeE21286's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tizoc

Oh that's great to hear, I take it US ver. also got the update?

Would love to know this. Never picked up the Collection here in the states because of the negativity surrounding it.
Snapshot King
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:41 PM)
Snapshot King's Avatar

Originally Posted by luka

In Japan the budget re-release will be fully patched. I'm waiting to try the patch out for myself, but if it's at least as good as the original framerate-wise I will double-dip on "the Best."

Would this version be entirely in japanese or have english options as well? I'd prefer to grab a complete version.
Kenak
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:41 PM)
Kenak's Avatar
Excited to see how much this patch improves the game when it hits NA.

Originally Posted by MikeE21286

Would love to know this. Never picked up the Collection here in the states because of the negativity surrounding it.

The game still plays fine. It can be annoying, especially when you consider the principal of the matter. However it's still Zone of the Enders in HD, and I think it looks great.
Shantom
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:42 PM)
Shantom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Chacranajxy

It's aight. Has frame rate issues. Was better than the PS3 version out of the box, but it's debatable whether or not it's actually better than the PS2 original.

Which is fucking pathetic.


Konami has said nothing about fixing the 360 version. I imagine they don't want to bother with dirty Gaijin box.

OK, thanks, it's on my shelf right now so I guess I better start complaining on twitter just to see if they'll give a definitive answer.
Hystzen
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:42 PM)
I been playing ZOE2 due to sale on PSN

anyway replayed the Vic Viper boss and I can pretty sure say the framerate has improved more obvious when he flys away then charges you firing those gauntlet shots at you. On Sunday framerate bombed but today it fine so I think it a success who knows
Peff
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:42 PM)
Peff's Avatar
Okiedokie:

- No patch for the 360 version. Actually, I did get one but I guess it was that one for the Revengeance demo? No HexaDrive logo and it was just 2 MB so obviously it was just the 360 patch limit thing.
- The PS3 version is definitely smoother now. I'm not going to say it doesn't dip, but if it does it's nowhere near what the 360 version does and it feels pretty much perfect in open areas. Interiors run well on both.
- They've toned down the crazy blur for the lights.
- The LEV stuff at the beginning is annoying :(

Looks like they've done a good job. It's hard to say for sure until seeing if the framerate holds up during the musou part though.
Chacranajxy
I paid good money for this Dynex!
(07-15-2013, 09:42 PM)
Chacranajxy's Avatar

Originally Posted by luka

In Japan the budget re-release will be fully patched. I'm waiting to try the patch out for myself, but if it's at least as good as the original framerate-wise I will double-dip on "the Best."

According to this post from that other message board, The Asian version of the initial PS3 release was fully in English:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/632695-z...ers?qid=338890

Asian versions typically mirror their Japanese counterparts.

Meaning? I think there's a fair chance the Japanese Best version will be in English. Stay tuned, kids!
Kenak
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:44 PM)
Kenak's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hystzen

I been playing ZOE2 due to sale on PSN

anyway replayed the Vic Viper boss and I can pretty sure say the framerate has improved more obvious when he flys away then charges you firing those gauntlet shots at you. On Sunday framerate bombed but today it fine so I think it a success who knows

Back in 2005, I beat that boss on hard no problem. I played it a couple of weeks ago on normal and got my ass handed to me multiple times. I even almost died at the intro fight on Callisto.
danthefan
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:46 PM)
Is this worth 13.49?

I played the first years and years and years ago and can remember enjoying it though I can remember nothing about the game itself, never played the 2nd.
T3CHN01R
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:47 PM)
Not on sale in the EU store :(
Hystzen
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:47 PM)

Originally Posted by T3CHN01R

Not on sale in the EU store :(

It was unless gone done today

I went under Playstation Plus Discounts and found it
Kenak
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:49 PM)
Kenak's Avatar

Originally Posted by danthefan

Is this worth 13.49?

I played the first years and years and years ago and can remember enjoying it though I can remember nothing about the game itself, never played the 2nd.

One of my favorite games. The second is a must play if you enjoyed the first; it improves on the formula in just about every conceivable way.
danthefan
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:50 PM)

Originally Posted by Kenak

One of my favorite games. The second is a must play if you enjoyed the first; it improves on the formula in just about every conceivable way.

Well that's just plain awesome. Bought, bought and bought,
T3CHN01R
Banned
(07-15-2013, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Hystzen

It was unless gone done today

I went under Playstation Plus Discounts and found it

Oh. It's currently 10.99 or 9.89 for PS+ members.
Eusis
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:52 PM)
Eusis's Avatar
I wonder how this works as a patch anyway. Is it basically replacing the executable entirely and using the assets already on the disc or something?
Palette Swap
Member
(07-15-2013, 09:54 PM)
Palette Swap's Avatar
Between the EU sale and this patch, no reason for EU members to not get it.

Thread Tools