• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Region Lock Multiplayer Games is Good

Anony

Lost 4/5 games in dota 2 today because brazil and peru player wont fucking stay in their own region.
Goes into us east/west and ruins the game.
Someone disconnects? *checks steam profile* GUESS WHAT, south american
entire game, their little group talks in their own language, when they die, they start blaming it on other people, all i see is - 'report _____', 'jajaja', 'nob', other broken english being spammed
using mic and speaking entire time, other teammates have no clue what's going on and is really annoying
(i had a game once where 4 of us were english speakers and the 5th guy was probably spanish, he kept talking into the mic, the rest of us told him NONE of us spoke his language but he continued to speak the entire game)

of course i've had good games with them before, but holy shit, when it's 1 game out of 20, just fuck it, ip ban them from our region please

Anteo

Lost 4/5 games in dota 2 today because brazil and peru player wont fucking stay in their own region.
entire game, their little group talks in their own language, when they die, they start blaming it on other people, all i see is - 'report _____', 'jajaja', 'nob', other broken english being spammed
using mic and speaking entire time, other teammates have no clue what's going on and is really annoying
(i had a game once where 4 of us were english speakers and the 5th guy was probably spanish, he kept talking into the mic, the rest of us told him NONE of us spoke his language but he continued to speak the entire game)

of course i've had good games with them before, but holy shit, when it's 1 game out of 20, just fuck it, ip ban them from our region please

You should ask valve for actual functional South American Servers. It's so stupid that as a Peruvian, I get 260 ms from the SouthAmerican server, compared to the 140 in USA East. So basically, the best server avalible for a south american is your server. Valve's fault, not ours.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I have a UK PSN account and live in Australia. When.searching for a game in TLOU last night (that's night.time in Aus and lunchtime in UK) a good 30% of my match made games were in the UK. My ping says no.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
agreed for dota. team sizes are too small to have half your team on one side of the planet and half on the other, in addition to a language barrier

when they die, they start blaming it on other people, all i see is - 'report _____', 'jajaja', 'nob', other broken english being spammed

this is literally all I see in MOBAs anyway, regardless of location.

2419751-tumblr_mej3caz9JR1rk0u1wo1_1280.png

its all good

Anony

You should ask valve for actual functional South American Servers. It's so stupid that as a Peruvian, I get 260 ms from the SouthAmerican server, compared to the 140 in USA East. So basically, the best server avalible for south american is your server. Valve's fault, not ours.

i've had games where people complain about 1000ms ping, i check their profile, guess what, they're not in american region
seen it so many times that i don't bother complaining
(and they disconnect but don't abandon, so we have to sit around for an extra 6 minutes for the game to end, wasting probably 20 mins total)

maybe I should of put dota in the title...

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Are you emulating their broken English to get your point across?

danielcw

If you don't speak his language, then how do you tell somebody that you don't speak it?

ip ban them from our region please
Even if it were possible, why would you want to also ban people who can speak your language just fine?

The idea of banning by IP is kinda clueless by the way, most of the time.
(whitelisting can work under certain circumstances)

Vamphuntr

I feel your pain because I play Dota 2 a lot. The annoying thing is that you can search for a game using a language filter and even if you set it to English you will be matched with teammates that cannot understand English outside of the words you listed.

This is more server locking than region locking, though. The thing is that communication is a key in Dota 2 and without it you are at a huge disadvantage.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't want to sound like an ass but for Dota 2, I agree. One too many games ruined by people from other countries who can't communicate and are talking to you in their native tongue. It's frustrating. If you can speak English then great, at least you can understand what is being said but, when you got stacks from Russia/Brazil spamming your team chat with another language on a US server, something has to give.

Valnen

This sort of server locking should only really happen for very specific games like DOTA 2 or LoL. On everything else, including MMO's, I don't think it's a good thing.

Anony

If you don't speak his language, then how do you tell somebody that you don't speak it?

Even if it were possible, why would you want to also ban people who can speak your language just fine?

The idea of banning by IP is kinda clueless by the way, most of the time.
(whitelisting can work under certain circumstances)

He typed some english text, so we knew he knows *some* english, and obviously when everyone else is typing in english, it's kinda obvious we're not communicating
And like i said, if 1 out of 20 games, you get one person from a different region that can communicate properly, that kind of statistics is just terrible to justify just blocking other regions outright

Soule

I was saying in the Dota 2 thread a little while ago I'm so happy I'm down in the Oceanic/Australian servers, hardly ever come into any issues with non-english speakers. Occasionally happens with some Vietnamese, Singapore people but they still let me know they can speak English when I ask and Boken mentioned that he runs into Pinoys but all in all I'm very pleased with my experience. Last game I had was with a 4 stack of vietnamese guys, said they could speak English and then only spoke to each other, but they responded to my pings and chat wheel and it was still a very satisfying game.

Anyway, I hear a lot of people speak frustratingly about the situation but I don't think region locking is the answer. It probably also helps that I add/get added by people I enjoy playing with semi-consistently so I usually have other people to play with which really minimizes the chance of it anyway, maybe go on a recruitment drive?

I got around 200ms on US West and it played fine from Australia before we received a server. Could be bad internet, it definitely isn't their geographical location

Dr. Kaos

Banned

Every crisis is an opportunity, right?

Clearly this is your opportunity to learn spanish and practice it with them. It's a pretty useful language, spoken in over a dozen countries in 3 continents and it's quite easy to pronounce and spell. I highly recommend it if you have high INT.

portuguese is nice too but they only speak it in Brazil.

Madness

I left StarCraft because all of the servers started to get so many Koreans who wouldn't communicate in English or anything. Plus whatever was written it wouldn't show up properly in the chat or what types of games they were. Lota of lag issues as well.

While I'd want games to be connected around the world, I wouldn't mind strict region locks for some things.

terrible

Banned
Battlefield 3 on PC for me is not enjoyable online because I can't find a local server that isn't filled with people who have 100-400 ping. Like over half the people in each server are 100+.

At minimum I'd like an option to restrict players based on region for games like that.

Nope you can politely fuck off.

I have lived over in Japan for years and regularly keep in touch with my little brother through online games.

Region locked online games make me very angry. It defeats the entire fucking purpose of online!

Aytrial

I don't care for region-locking, but I prefer the option for a region-filter in games where there are no dedicated servers.

Tapejara

I think it should be done the way the more recent CoD games do it. You have the option to be paired up with people in your region, but your friends worldwide are still able to play with you. Otherwise region locking multiplayer could just end up killing the community.

You should ask valve for actual functional South American Servers. It's so stupid that as a Peruvian, I get 260 ms from the SouthAmerican server, compared to the 140 in USA East. So basically, the best server avalible for a south american is your server. Valve's fault, not ours.

Valve does need some better South American servers. I don't mean this as insensitive, but it's annoying playing CS:GO when I either can't understand my teammates, or when every member of the other team has a ping 100ms more than my own.

I'm sure it's frustrating for you guys as well, especially in games where communication is key.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Yes yes and yes.

I can only imagine how many games I could have won if region lock was in Dota 2.

DoTA def needs to do SOMETHING.

Since day1 this is one of the biggest complaints I see on the forums next to MM.
I couldn't care less if people want to play with 5000 pings but when you cant communicate in a very communication reliant game, such as DoTA, theres a problem.
Nothing I enjoy more then hearing yelling I don't understand and rapidfire pings.

Even a working language system would be fine for the people that can't play in their regions cause of ping. Theres enough speakers of damn near every language to get them together id think.

heuheuheu

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
DoTA def needs to do SOMETHING.

Since day1 this is one of the biggest complaints I see on the forums next to MM.

I couldn't care less if people want to play with 5000 pings but when you cant communicate in a very communication reliant game, such as DoTA, theres a problem.

Nothing I enjoy more then hearing yelling I don't understand and rapidfire pings.

heuheuheu

Pretty much all of this.

They don't seem to understand that playing in the wrong country = laggy as fuck. Only handicapping themselves and their team.

pants

Nope. However there should be two pools of servers sub 150 ms and everything else. Go wild and mix Samoans with Jamaican on the everything else and 150 should be held relatively geographically adjacent due to physics.

Oh so region locking multiplayer games cause you only understand english?

Well, foreigners to you doesn't understand english so deal with it.

The world wasn't built for english speakers or english speakers gamers only

Wake up from your little shell. Games are global, so are gamers, and regions.

Make your own region and lock it.....

Going to have to disagree with you there.

How else am I going to find players to score perfect rounds on me over and over again in fighting games if I can't connect to players from Japan?

RedSwirl

Isn't this why we used to have private dedicated servers for most games? Or does DOTA 2 not have those?

Y'know, servers that were monitored by admins who could kick/ban people?

Sounds like what's really needed though is for each player to be able to specify a language.

Isn't this why we used to have private dedicated servers for most games? Or does DOTA 2 not have those?

Y'know, servers that were monitored by admins who could kick/ban people?

Sounds like what's really needed though is for each player to be able to specify a language.

DoTA don't have that (yet if ever)

Theres a language option/checkbox but yeah...that gets ignored, and for some fukd reason theres no Spanish option.......

Oh so region locking multiplayer games cause you only understand english?

Well, foreigners to you doesn't understand english so deal with it.

The world wasn't built for english speakers or english speakers gamers only

Wake up from your little shell. Games are global, so are gamers, and regions.

Make your own region and lock it.....

The problem is when you choose US East and US West as match locations and end up getting stuck with people who don't speak English. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

RedSwirl

Also, stuff like this I think is why Japan isolates itself from the entire rest of the world in most online games.

Top Bottom