• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are infectiously catchy pop songs looked down upon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elija2

You know what catchy songs I'm talking about; those top 40 pop songs that play non-stop on the radio and always get stuck in your head. Stuff like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga that are all perfectly crafted to be infectiously catchy. But people seem to think that those kinds of pop songs are bad. I don't get it. Music is meant to be enjoyed, and catchy pop music is basically designed to be the most enjoyable for the most amount of people. Even if it's all incredibly manufactured, it gets it's job done by being a song that many people will like. So why do people consider these kinds of songs terrible and trashy? Even I'll sometimes hear a song on the radio like 'Call Me Maybe' and be like "This song is so dumb and repetitive" but I still can't help liking it.

SamVimes

Because they're boring, repetitive and you heard ten thousands songs that sounded almost exactly like the one is on the radio right now.

You know what catchy songs I'm talking about; those top 40 pop songs that play non-stop on the radio and always get stuck in your head. Stuff like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga that are all perfectly crafted to be infectiously catchy. But people seem to think that those kinds of pop songs are bad. I don't get it. Music is meant to be enjoyed, and catchy pop music is basically designed to be the most enjoyable for the most amount of people. Even if it's all incredibly manufactured, it gets it's job done by being a song that many people will like. So why do people consider these kinds of songs terrible and trashy? Even I'll sometimes hear a song on the radio like 'Call Me Maybe' and be like "This song is so dumb and repetitive" but I still can't help liking it.
Personally it's because I hear them too often and get sick of them quickly. I don't identify with the lyrics and the music isn't enjoyable past the catchiness of it. Even catchiness can get stale.

Kizer

They tend to be hit or misses with me. Even then, radio stations play like the same 5 songs over and over so you get tired of them very fast.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Its usually because people grow to hate it when all radio stations play the same damned thing every 15 minutes

Oh, there's nothing to ya

Yeah, I see right through ya

You're losing it

You're losing it

You're laughin' yet tragic

Your tricks, they've got no magic

You're losing it

You always miss

Why don't you go away Getaway

Stay away Getaway

Get away Getaway

You're hopelessly hopeless

Get away

Getaway

Get away

burgervan

There's lots of great, incredibly well written pop songs that I never want to hear again in my life. They're just overplayed.

Also, some popular songs are genuinely shitty. I've never heard a Beiber song that was even remotely interesting.

Slayven

Love the kind you clean up with a mop and bucket
Like the lost catacombs of Egypt only God knows where we stuck it
Hieroglyphics? Let me be Pacific I wanna be down in your South Seas
But I got this notion that the motion of your ocean means "Small Craft Advisory"
So if I capsize on your thighs high tide, B-5 you sunk my battleship
Please turn me on I'm Mister Coffee with an automatic drip
So show me yours I'll show you mine "Tool Time" you'll Lovett just like Lyle
And then we'll do it doggy style so we can both watch "X-Files"

ToxicAdam

People care about lyrics. When the lyrics are dumbed down to such a degree that it insults your intelligence, it offends people. Same kind of response an be found in any medium of entertainment.

In relation to music, some people only really care about the beat and the hook, so they don't have the same kind of negative reaction to a shitty pop song.

People care about lyrics. When the lyrics are dumbed down to such a degree that it insults your intelligence, it offends people. Same kind of response an be found in any medium of entertainment.

This. There's so many times I think "oh god these lyrics if they were just a bit different this song wouldn't make me want to bang my head against a wall."

And sometimes the artist pisses me off.

And sometimes the two combined make the song as a total package something I absolutely LOATHE.

Cause alllll
I neeeed
Is a beauty and a beeeaat
Who can make my life compleeeete

But I actually like a lot of pop music.

burgervan

In relation to music, some people only really care about the beat and the hook, so they don't have the same kind of negative reaction to a shitty pop song.

I'm glad I'm not one of those people. Lyrics have to be either really good or really bad for me to care.

You know, as a self-proclaimed music enthusiast, I actually really like a lot of pop music. But I hate listening to the radio. Not because I think the songs are bad necessarily, but because hearing anything multiple times a day during an 8hr shift will put anyone in the nut house.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Cause people don't feel cool listening to goofy pop songs. I fucking love catchy pop songs and don't care who is singing them.

they're dull, derivative and repetitive, which hinders enjoyment for some. some people want more than a catchy hook when they listen to music.

Wazzy

Banned
Who cares if it's catchy, i find it unpleasant and mindnumbing.
Some of us want to get more than a singalong out of music, if that makes me a music snob i don't really give a shit.

If you don't like it, that's your perogative however telling others they have terrible taste for liking it is is just being an elitist music snob. Not saying you do judge people, just that if you do that would make you a music snob.

Rayis

I don't give two fucks about lyrics, give me a catchy pop song any day, I listen to music to put me in a better mood and disconnect from everything, not to overanalyze it. (though my catchy pop songs are more of the Japanese and Korean type)

Into

Isent this a internet message board thing? Ive never met a single person in real life who looked down upon these songs, most people at clubs love to sing along and have fun with it. The entire "they dont write their own songs/its shallow and stupid/they are not real artists" to me was only seen on various corners of the internet.

It was hilarious when basketball player Westbrook was singing along to KeSha's Die Young, yet most people online were like "ugh thats not a real song, its stupid mass manufactured crap"

Nevasleep

Give me some high tempo David Guetta, Rhianna, Avicii, Kesha etc while I'm stuck in work and I'll be happy, time goes quicker and I'll work faster. Unfortunately they usually play the "broken heart if only you'd come back" slow songs.

I have a DJ friend and the fact that David Guetta is referred to as a DJ drives him mad.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Because baby when it's love if it's not rough it isn't fun, no.

Brush my teeth with a bottle of jack

I'm talkin' bout BOYS BLOWIN UP OUR PHONES, PHONES

Flawless taste

I think a lot of people look down upon them because of who the artist is and probably not wanting to be associated/labeled as a part of their fan base due to stereotypes

magnetic

I fucking LOVE Katy Perrys California Gurlz and I don't give a shit what other people think. The video is pure joy as well.

But on the other hand, I'm not an insecure teenager who needs to define himself over his taste in music (which is mostly arcade-style VGM, Shinji Hosoe for instance).

EVOL 100%

Because I don't like the music. It's just so fucking boring to me. There isn't anything intellectual about my dislike of the genre. I simply don't like the music, but I also have to hear it all the fucking time and that's when my dislike becomes hate. When you have to work with the music you don't like blaring for 8 hours, you tend to develop a special kind of hate.

I have no beef with the artists themselves though, the people want it, they get it. The music I like isn't popular. Woe is me.

Kurita

They aren't anything special nor memorable, that's all. It's just a matter of taste I guess, I don't really like pop music anyway.

Into

The same happens with movies, if you say you liked Superbad, you get snide comments, because you are only suppose to watch Akira Kurosawa films while you drink fine chardonnay in your imported robe from France, anything less and you are a sellout/part of the problem/stupid/mainstream sheep etc.

Its one of the reasons i got attracted to NeoGAF, there are communities for everything, i do not have to listen to how dumb sports are in the Football thread, or how fake and shitty pro wrestling is in Pro Wrestling thread, people are allowed to enjoy their hobbies even if they are "mainstream" and thus bad and horrible bla bla.

deli2000

Good songs can be catchy, Bad songs can be catchy.

People don't hate catchy songs. People hate ridiculously manufactured songs with cringy lyrics.

And there are plenty of songs like that no matter what the genre.

tumblr_maj99dh8js1ryhcago1_500.gif

burgervan

They aren't anything special nor memorable, that's all.

You can say this about the vast majority of music. But somehow pop music is just inherently worse. I'm not saying you have to like it, god knows there's tons of shit on the radio, but some people like to act like they're somehow above it.

It's all just a matter of taste.

farisr

I don't hate catchy songs. I hate bad catchy songs.

Just because a song is catchy does not mean it's good.

Also, overplaying something can also make it lose its effect, or even make you dislike it.

There were plenty of songs I hated back when I was young because they were on the radio ALL the time. But now I can go back and enjoy those songs for what they were.

But yeah, nowadays I don't encounter radio as much, so there isn't that overplaying aspect that comes into effect anymore. Some of these catchy songs today, I legitimately hate.

Because they're infectiously catchy, and their lyrics infect the very core of your mind and being until the words lose all meaning and the singer turns into your lip gloss-heavy tormentor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom