• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo adds "Onett Times": EarthBound Announcement community to Miiverse.

Fandangox

I've never played any of the Mother games. Out of interest, how come everyone is always super hyped and begging for Earthbound (which I understand is Mother 2?) and Mother 3? Is the first game not very good, or something? The only reason I haven't bought Earthbound off the Virtual Console yet is because I haven't played the first one.

Its a combination of multiple factors.

Since EarthBound was the only one released on the west, it naturally has the biggest following. Coupled with Ness being in all three smash games as opposed to Lucas who was only in the newest one.

After EarthBound's cult following JOINTED in the internet, everyone started talking about the fan translation of Mother 3. So everyone got to play that. Mother 3 also sort of enhanced some of the gameplay points of EarthBound making battles smoother and overall travelling feel less of a chore. I personally think its a really, really good game and has an incredibly well done translation.

Mother 1 is less talked about cause its the oldest of the three (late 80's I think) As an RPG from that era, it hasn't aged all that well, and it sort of shows. It is also harder than EB or Mother 3, so I guess that turned off some people.

The Mother series is a franchise that shows American tastes =/= Japanese tastes.

In Japan:
Mother 1 is the game that is regarded as the classic and has the most nostalgia attached to it. Mother 2 is regarded as an improvement but not as nostalgic. Mother 3 is regarded as a misstep and a disappointment.

In America:
EarthBound is beloved as a classic that was originally overlooked. Mother 3 is viewed as different, but a genius game. Mother 1 is viewed as outdated and not nearly as good as Mother 2.

I like all three for different reasons.

I like Mother 1 for its cheekiness but also somewhat creepy at times atmosphere. Only section I hate is Duncan factory, but otherwise the game is pretty chill.

Mother 2 i love its world design and game progression for the most part. The first 4 major towns are all brilliant. After that the game kind of loses some steam. Once you reach a place called Magicant it becomes awesome again though and keeps its awesome the rest of the game.

Mother 3 is fantastic. Mother 2 has better battle themes, but all the other music in Mother 3 is better. The battle system is even better (though I prefer Mother 2's encounter system). Great cast of secondary characters. Chapter 7 is kind of rushed though. It's still cool, but each section of the chapter should have been more elaborate. Chapters 1-6 and 8 are all briliant though.

The Mother series is a franchise that shows American tastes =/= Japanese tastes.

In Japan:
Mother 1 is the game that is regarded as the classic and has the most nostalgia attached to it. Mother 2 is regarded as an improvement but not as nostalgic. Mother 3 is regarded as a misstep and a disappointment.

In America:
EarthBound is beloved as a classic that was originally overlooked. Mother 3 is viewed as different, but a genius game. Mother 1 is viewed as outdated and not nearly as good as Mother 2.

This is probably because most Americans played Mother 2 before they played Mother (if they ever played it), while for Japanese players it was probably the opposite. So Mother probably does feel outdated to many non-Japanese players because they played it after Mother 2.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Okay now this is pretty interesting. For once I actually wholeheartedly believe something has to be coming considering there's not really anything they could possibly announce...Hopefully it's Mother 3! Only one I haven't been able to play so far.

its truly an amazing emotional ride, the ending is one of the best in video games bar none

Davey Cakes

Mother 3 on GBA VC would be another insta-buy for members of the fan community. If Nintendo likes EB's sales then they could easily gauge if Mother 3 is worth it too.

Rich!

I'd be scared to play Mother 3 if it didn't use the same fan translation that I've played though many times before.

It's seriously brilliant work. I actually doubt Nintendo would do as well as those guys did.

foxuzamaki

nintendo is aware of the fan translation i wouldnt be surprised if they used it for localization

A localized mother 3 would be great but there's no way they could outdo the fan translation. I probably won't buy if its not extremely similar.

DedValve

Banned
hd remake of mother 1, imminent release of mother 3, and upcoming wii u exclusive mother 4.

sike-u-mad-bro.jpg

I already wetted myself numerous times before even getting to the pic....and I still wetted myself again and will continue to do so until Nintendo makes the announcement.
and disappoints me again ;(

Rich!

A localized mother 3 would be great but there's no way they could outdo the fan translation. I probably won't buy if its not extremely similar.

honestly, how could anyone beat names like "Fassad"?

that one alone is just...perfect. like for real

I honestly wouldn't mind either way, even though I adore the fan-translation. NOA's localization team is still top-notch so I'm sure it could rival it.

JB2448

Certain excerpts of Itoi's message perfectly encapsulate how I've been honoring by recently-departed grandmother's memory. It was both extremely saddening and extremely heartwarming, all at once. This series deserves international success, plain and simple. Let's hope for the best.

Yep, and it would likely be toned down in the west. I will still buy it though. Of course Itoi is done with the series so no matter how much people try its not like anything will happen

ivysaur12

Banned

In Japan:

In America:

I like Mother 1 for its cheekiness but also somewhat creepy at times atmosphere. Only section I hate is Duncan factory, but otherwise the game is pretty chill.

Mother 2 i love its world design and game progression for the most part. The first 4 major towns are all brilliant. After that the game kind of loses some steam. Once you reach a place called Magicant it becomes awesome again though and keeps its awesome the rest of the game.

Mother 3 is fantastic. Mother 2 has better battle themes, but all the other music in Mother 3 is better. The battle system is even better (though I prefer Mother 2's encounter system). Great cast of secondary characters. Chapter 7 is kind of rushed though. It's still cool, but each section of the chapter should have been more elaborate. Chapters 1-6 and 8 are all briliant though.

Mother 3 isn't well regarded in Japan? Really? That's... sad. It was my favorite of the 3. One of the few truly moving games I've ever played.

Mother 3 isn't as well regarded because of its drastically different tone.

Itoi was depressed when he did the script treatment for "Earthbound 64," but by the time they got recycled into Mother 3 his attitude picked up and he rewrote parts of it, which is why the story seems to move along two different wavelengths at times

SmithnCo

Mother 3 isn't well regarded in Japan? Really? That's... sad. It was my favorite of the 3. One of the few truly moving games I've ever played.

I remember there was a thread about some Japanese comments along those lines but I don't know if they really represent how it's viewed. Sad if it's seen that way though.

Zee-Row

Banned
I think that if Mother and Mother 3 ever get officially released here , Nintendo should fix the numbering and call them Earthbound 1 , Earthbound 2 and Earthbound 3 like Square did fixing the Final Fantasy numbering.

SmithnCo

I think that if Mother and Mother 3 ever get officially released here , Nintendo should fix the numbering and call them Earthbound 1 , Earthbound 2 and Earthbound 3 like Square did fixing the Final Fantasy numbering.

I'd be okay if they just called Mother 1 Earthbound Zero. Would be weird to change Earthbound to Earthbound 2 after this long.

steveovig

Someone on Miiverse mentioned that Iwata gave an interview saying he planned to release Mother 3 globally, anyone here heard of such an interview?

Zee-Row

Banned
I'd be okay if they just called Mother 1 Earthbound Zero. Would be weird to change Earthbound to Earthbound 2 after this long.

I figured Nintendo would be to arrogant to call the first game Earthbound Zero since its a fan made title. Just like they would probably feel like not using the Mother 3 fan translation since its not their work.

steveovig

I figured Nintendo would be to arrogant to call the first game Earthbound Zero since its a fan made title. Just like they would probably feel like not using the Mother 3 fan translation since its not their work.

That sounds like something Vince McMahon would do!

foxuzamaki

In Japan:

In America:

chapter 6 has one of the best game compositions of all time, talk about letting the music tell the story for you.
edit: here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNTggZ0em7s&list=FLjFj9R8JS2pgWXNgrV2mF_g&index=32

BooJoh

I have never seen so much instant hype for something that will never happen.

They're giving EB a huge marketing push because they probably know it'll need it to perform even remotely well.

Not expecting anything significant to come of this at all.

/killjoy

foxuzamaki

They're giving EB a huge marketing push because they probably know it'll need it to perform even remotely well.

/killjoy

y u do dis

bon

Someone on Miiverse mentioned that Iwata gave an interview saying he planned to release Mother 3 globally, anyone here heard of such an interview?

This interview from last year might be what they're talking about?

Me: I would be remiss in not telling you that some of my writers would like to play another Advance Wars and they would someday like to play Mother 3 in America… [Note: Iwata writes something down] … Whenever I ask Reggie about Mother 3, he says, ‘ask Mr. Iwata.'"

Iwata: [in English]: "Just yesterday, before I left from Japan, I met with Mr. Itoi, who is the creator of the Earthbound series. [laughs]"

Me: "Oh, I know. Are we ever going to get it?"

Iwata: "And, yeah, accidentally we were discussing that there are huge fans from Western countries for the Mother series [laughs].

Me: "So, someday? Someday?" [I stand up to shake his hand]

Iwata: "[laughs] Thank you. Great to see you!"

If you want to be optimistic, this kind of implies that they might be thinking about it. If you want to be optimistic.

Neiteio

/killjoy
EarthBound is the WiiU's No. 2 best-selling recent digital release, beat out only by the 30-cent NES Donkey Kong. That's damn good for a $10 title Nintendo previously wrote off as dead to the English world. Also, the EarthBound Miiverse community is already one of the most active in the entire Miiverse.

They knew the game had its fans over here, but I have to imagine even Nintendo's a bit surprised by the response.

/optimism :)

This is probably because most Americans played Mother 2 before they played Mother (if they ever played it), while for Japanese players it was probably the opposite. So Mother probably does feel outdated to many non-Japanese players because they played it after Mother 2.

Yeah, the difference in opinion for 1 and 2 makes total sense. Doesn't really make sense why we like Mother 3 more than Japan though. Maybe if it had been released officially here, American and Japan would have similar opinions?

Tiktaalik

I bet random insta-hype like this is why NoA has always been so wary to even acknowledge the existence of Earthbound let alone release or promote the game in any way.

Now suddenly everyone is clamoring for Mother 3 and 4.

Pikma

Banned
We're proud to announce that we have nothing to announce as of today regarding the Earthbound series future.
Please look forward to future no-announcement announcements

Top Bottom