• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dear God - When a cat rolls on its back it means it DOESN'T want its belly rubbed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Measley

Yeah, that's why I own dogs. I already have a wife who confuses the hell out of me, and that's more than enough.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I just asked my cat if he likes having his belly rubbed when he flops upside down. The first thing he did was expose his belly and purr like a boat when I started petting it, so I guess he's one of the ones who goes against the curve.

I mean, he does stick his head under running water...

Well isn't this a generalization. For the record, one of my cats is fine with belly rubs and the other's usually too scared to stick around anyone but my mother (he was rescued, I think, so mommy issues &c.). The cat that likes me also gets something out of chin scratches, not to mention rubbing her canines on me and occasionally licking. Every animal's a bit different, so this article's bullshit as far as I'm concerned.

Vagabundo

It's always about the tests with cats. You've failed ur tezt, die human...

They're like Capcom.

More substantive evidence that dogs are, in fact, the superior pet species.

It's a no brainer. As a species dogs are way more useful to humans. Cat people are deluded.

Fnord

It depends on the cat and the mood that the cat is in. It's one of the "endearing" things about cats. With dogs, you pretty much know how they feel and what they want. With cats, it's pretty much a crap shoot. It makes life interesting. My current cat LOVES to have his belly rubbed. The last cat I had loved it, too. About once every two months. When the planets were in alignment. And the moon was in Capricorn. And the tide was high. But he always had that inviting look.

Dec

I'm not sure I believe my cat gives any shits. Can pet her, poke her, and clean her anywhere and she doesn't care at all. She climbs all over me, rubbing her head on my face when I try to play games so I don't really care what the hell she thinks.

Huh...

Well, one of my cats always lays on its side and then rolls onto its back and wants me to belly rub him. He doesn't bite, kick, or scratch while I do so. He just stretches out as far out as he can while I do so and he closes his eyes in comfort.

I think my cats is an exception to the rule.

Rad-

Umm this also sort of applies to dogs. When they show their belly, they are surrendering and showing you are the boss. Not necessarily want a belly rub.

Huh...

Well, one of my cats always lays on its side and then rolls onto its back and wants me to belly rub him. He doesn't bite, kick, or scratch while I do so. He just stretches out as far out as he can while I do so and he closes his eyes in comfort.

I think my cats is an exception to the rule.
One of our cats does that too.

She rolls around like a nut and stretches out as much as possible.

Sojgat

Why does my cat hate to be touched in any way by human hands, yet will purr and let me rub her with my feet for hours? Cats are just weird.

BigDes

It's always about the tests with cats. You've failed ur tezt, die human...

They're like Capcom.

It's a no brainer. As a species dogs are way more useful to humans. Cat people are deluded.

Are all dog owners this insecure about their choice of pet?

Like everytime a thread about cats pops up you get people breathlessly running in to shout about how much better dogs are, when it isn't even remotely related to the topic at hand.

Viremira

Maybe I should send my four off to be examined by them then as they all give off different signals and one, Stormy, will only allow you to pet her on her belly she'll claw you're damn hands off if you try petting her anywhere else.

Siegmeyer

My old cat didn't care much for belly rubs, but would love me burying my face in her gut and breathing hot air into her tum while she licked my ear.

Good times.

i'm always afraid to rub dogs in their bellies cuz i'm afraid if i rub wrong, they'll bite me...and their bite is a lot worse than a cat

FlyFaster

not my cats.

they come up to me, flop over and meow until I rub their belly. then they start purring and fall asleep next to me while I play games or surf the net.

I'm calling bullshit.

Me too.

I've been rubbing my cat's belly since he was a kitten. He'll come in, roll right on his back and I rub him from chin to belly and he loves it. He purrs like crazy and stays there for ages. He never grabs me or bites.

I'd say it's on a cat-by-cat basis.

hodgy100

Just had the cat in my arms right now purring away while rubbing his belly, when i stop he climbs up my chest and nussles my face lol

he also likes to sit on my mouse and keyboard , then chase the mouse cursor on my monitor... making this a very difficult post to write.

noorse_boskat_3_406415.jpg

These Norwegian Forest Cats absolutely love to get their belly rubbed. The only thing they do is bite you playfully at first and then proceed to stretch out even more.

Other cats? Screw 'em.

Toxi

Banned
I'm not sure if cats do this, but dogs will actually try to physically get your arm on them when you're not petting them. I know because my dog won't stop putting his head under my arm and flipping it back over his neck. It's really funny to watch.

Jay Sosa

everything a cat does basically means this: F*%& you, I only tolerate you because you give me shelter and food (that I might eat if I feel like it)

Amalthea

Banned
It's disgusting how people talk shit about how other species have other means of communication. Not every animal had the same "glorious" evolutionary way we humans had.

Vagabundo

Are all dog owners this insecure about their choice of pet?

Like everytime a thread about cats pops up you get people breathlessly running in to shout about how much better dogs are, when it isn't even remotely related to the topic at hand.

Are all cat owners this serious about their choice? Can't take a little ribbing?

waypoetic

Banned
All cats are different, some like bellyrubs and some dont. But one thing you're forgetting is that some cats are very loyal and they stick to their owner; like my lil' girl, it's all about me, fuck those other people that come to visit :p

The Adder

Banned
It's play fighting behavior, it doesn't mean they want you to touch their head instead of their belly.

It's not affection seeking or trusting behavior, it just means they wanna wrestle a bit.

People need to stop anthropomorphizing animals.

"It just means they wanna wrestle a bit" is no less anthropomorphizing an animal than "it doesn't want you to touch its stomach but does want you to touch its head."

So dogs, simple and basic

Cats, complicated and mutlifacited

Gotcha

Two can play at that game.

Dogs, honest and straightforward

Cats, duplicitous and conniving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom