• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines -Lets play it again with mods!

Awesome! Do you know if it matters if you're downloading off of Steam though? I think that's why my husband said we wouldn't be able to run it, compatibility issues.
It does not matter, most of us here are probably patching the Steam distributed exe. It works flawlessly and even has a self extractor.

Dries

Alrightie, here are some screens of my modded game:

3km9fsi.jpg

9kGPor0.jpg

uBPmnme.jpg

I7U7uOu.jpg

Unai

I can't be the only who didn`t like the texture mod in OP. They are higher res, yes, but they are not faithful to the orignals, and I actually think it looks worse.

Edit: Unless it is After and Before, not Before and After.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ravnos (not in Bloodlines)
  • Their founder awoke first, and caused a nightmare storm in Calcutta that killed thousands. No two storytellers agree on how it finally died, but the most accepted theory is that it took three elite Kuei-Jin, the combined might of the Technocracy(elite mages), and satellites focusing the suns rays on it.

But, Zarathustra commanded master level Fortitude and Chimerstry; control over illusions. Consider that.
i know this was posted a long time ago but the fight with Zapathasura is mentioned on the TV news. Its that freak storm in Egypt segment that plays.. i forget which day its on. Since the storm is up it means that it takes place after the Kuei-Jin summoned the storm but before the Technocracy blasted the place with Spirit infused atomic weapons.

whats so good about this game? I remember buying and playing it when direct2drive was around. I was really enjoying it but then it deleted my save file. never went back to it

Joqu

Ah I love Bloodlines. Remember to go with the latest unofficial patch everyone! The one in the OP isn't up to date.

I can't be the only who didn`t like the texture mod in OP. They are higher res, yes, but they are not faithful to the orignals, and I actually think it looks worse.

Edit: Unless it is After and Before, not Before and After.

Same thing I was thinking. It looks like " after and before".

I'm afraid it's before and after. That texture mod is pretty bad if you ask me.

Having trouble finding werewolf blood in the clinic. I assume I need the combo for the data pad in the freezer but I can't find it anywhere. Is it in someone's computer or something? Any general hints?
Reposting from another thread.

Edit: I know exactly where it is and found the code to unlock the locker but can't unlock the door to get to the locker. Am I just going to have to come back with better security skill?

Edit: I know exactly where it is and found the code to unlock the locker but can't unlock the door to get to the locker. Am I just going to have to come back with better security skill?
If I remember correctly you can find the codes for both in
emails
nearby.

Beat the game. Even with the unofficial patch it's still buggy and unpolished. Combat and exploration isn't very good either, but still... the game has charm and some pretty good dialogs.

Some screens:

misho8723

Banned
Beat the game. Even with the unofficial patch it's still buggy and unpolished. Combat and exploration isn't very good either, but still... the game has charm and some pretty good dialogs.

Some screens:

I playet the game like 4 times, every time only with the 1.2 offcial patch and every time the game still reminds me why it's my favorite game of all time

I'd disagree with that, and buy it for a dollar.

I say that mostly because of dungeons. Usually there's nothing to find in them, and exploration is not rewarded with new items. Though actual dungeon design could be worse, I guess, but it isn't that good either.

That said, I'd love to play more RPGs with a modern setting. That's one of the reasons I like SMT.

Goddamn at the Ocean View Hotel. Flawlessly executed and atmospheric as fuck. My Gangrel's claws couldn't help her resolve that situation.

Edit: Saw a LP of a guy who had an option for "history" during character creation. Mod?

Aangster

Saw a LP of a guy who had an option for "history" during character creation. Mod?

Sort of, it's restored (and most likely, fixed) cut content.

You can actually restore the option via console in the vanilla game using the command: vchar_edit_histories 1

Sort of, it's restored (and most likely, fixed) cut content.

You can actually restore the option via console in the vanilla game using the command: vchar_edit_histories 1

Oh, I see. Seems like an odd thing to cut. How to I bring up the console in this game?

Oh, I see. Seems like an odd thing to cut. How to I bring up the console in this game?

There were concerns about not having enough time to test all of the histories adequately, and there being a risk of progression halting bugs with them.

you need to add the following to your command line arguments on your shortcut, and then you can get to the console with ~
Code:
-console

Dizzy

Banned
Might have to restart this. I tried it about 2 years ago, got stuck in some trainyard because my character sucked at combat.

I was using a gangrel. Whats a better race to make the game easier? or should I just throw all points into guns?

Might have to restart this. I tried it about 2 years ago, got stuck in some trainyard because my character sucked at combat.

I was using a gangrel. Whats a better race to make the game easier? or should I just throw all points into guns?

Gangrel are awesome at combat in my experience. Did you invest in brawling? Buffed yourself with Blood Buff or Protean? I killed them all hand-to-hand without any trouble.

I think some stuff looks better.
Like the new roads.

I think Tremere is the best and easiest clan because of all those awesome blood magic spells. Like that one which lifts an enemy up into the air and they scream and burst into a cloud of blood and guts. I'm not sure about guns I never used them back when I first played the game when it originally came out. Maybe the unofficial patches have made them better by now.

I got yelled at by LaCroix for killing a police officer on the
Elizabeth Dane
but for the life of me I don't recall killing anyone. I got spotted and booked it out of there but I didn't attack anyone. I fiddled with the ship controls a bit - blew the horn and turned on the engines, but I don't know what effect that had. I dropped the crate near the
coffin
too but it didn't land on anyone. I don't care all that much, but if I knew I wouldn't get any credit for not killing anyone I would have forgone stealth and just murdered them.

cj_iwakura

Elizabeth Dane
but for the life of me I don't recall killing anyone. I got spotted and booked it out of there but I didn't attack anyone. I fiddled with the ship controls a bit - blew the horn and turned on the engines, but I don't know what effect that had. I dropped the crate near the
coffin
too but it didn't land on anyone. I don't care all that much, but if I knew I wouldn't get any credit for not killing anyone I would have forgone stealth and just murdered them.

You probably alarmed them somehow on the way out.

I can't conceive of any way that the zombie quest in Hollywood is possible. I've tried defending one gate exclusively and lasted with 30 seconds left on the timer before the opposite gate fell. When that failed I tried running back and forth between both gates but that failed even quicker. Using Protean I can kill them all in one or two hits but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about both gates. Am I missing something?

Fractal

Banned
Really glad for this thread.... some great mods on display here. Nearly done with the game, went with a Toreador female for my first playthrough, but will try a Malkavian when I'm done.

Also, I must say, don't like that texture overhaul. I wouldn't say it improves any of the textures, it just changes them into something which compromises the original art style of the game. The original LA is meant to be dirty and decrepit, while the mod makes it look much cleaner and sterile, and for me, it just doesn't feel right...

Fractal

Banned
I can't conceive of any way that the zombie quest in Hollywood is possible. I've tried defending one gate exclusively and lasted with 30 seconds left on the timer before the opposite gate fell. When that failed I tried running back and forth between both gates but that failed even quicker. Using Protean I can kill them all in one or two hits but I don't know what I'm supposed to do about both gates. Am I missing something?
Do you have the basic unofficial patch installed?
The way I understand, it increases the hit points for the gates, so I finished the quest by spending a minute at the upper gate, then I went for a minute at the lower gate, and kept switching until the timer ran out. With my Toreador focused on ranged weapons, did it on my second go!

Still, if you have major problems finishing it, there's a way to skip it entirely,
by refusing to guard the gates, and getting Romero a prostitute instead.

cj_iwakura

Tremere made it easy. Thaum'd them all to death.

The way I understand, it increases the hit points for the gates, so I finished the quest by spending a minute at the upper gate, then I went for a minute at the lower gate, and kept switching until the timer ran out. With my Toreador focused on ranged weapons, did it on my second go!

Still, if you have major problems finishing it, there's a way to skip it entirely,

Yeah, I have the patch. Switching gates doesn't seem to work. For some reason the best time I ever got was when I defended one gate exclusively, so they must spwn in greater numbers wherever you are. Switching between them appears to summon them in great numbers at both gates. Anyway, tried it a few more times and it's just not happening.
I can't convince the prostitute to see him either
, so I guess this quest gets saved for a future playthrough.

Or if you're a female character
you can sleep with him yourself.

I remember being able to do it fairly easily with the shotgun.

Fractal

Banned
Yeah, I have the patch. Switching gates doesn't seem to work. For some reason the best time I ever got was when I defended one gate exclusively, so they must spwn in greater numbers wherever you are. Switching between them appears to summon them in great numbers at both gates. Anyway, tried it a few more times and it's just not happening.
I can't convince the prostitute to see him either
, so I guess this quest gets saved for a future playthrough.
Ah, right, didn't notice you were playing as Gangrel... I suppose social skills aren't the strong suit of your build!

Still, you may want to try the quest out when you level up further... though I'll definitely agree it's one of the more frustrating quests in the game, which depends a lot on your luck, even after the unofficial patch.

Dresden

Yeah, I've never pulled it off, either. Pre-Wesp Tremeres can probably pull it off with Blood Salvo, but the Plus edition switches the multi-target blood attack for something that drains (and kills) a single target instead. No complaints due to how absurdly good it is (doesn't break stealth, kills every non-boss enemy in one hit, returns more blood than it spends, etc), but for this particular occasion...

The alternative approach is more amusing, anyways.

Or if you're a female character
you can sleep with him yourself.

I remember being able to do it fairly easily with the shotgun.

I assume this is only a seduction option? My character's female and wasn't presented with it.

Ah, right, didn't notice you were playing as Gangrel... I suppose social skills aren't the strong suit of your build!

Still, you may want to try the quest out when you level up further... though I'll definitely agree it's one of the more frustrating quests in the game, which depends a lot on your luck, even after the unofficial patch.
Yeah, I guess I'll try again later. If I can one-shot these guys instead of two-shotting them it might make a difference.

Elizabeth Dane
coffin

I remember a conversation with LaCroix where he wants you to do something, and you have to because the plot compels you but if you are defiant and say no he uses some kind of spell on you mid conversation and the only response you can choose from is yes. I thought that was neat.

Top Bottom