• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Art Academy: SketchPad |OT|

WOW! There is some amazing artwork in this thread.
Took a while to get use to the program, since there is no undo button. Compared to the other guys here, its pretty "meh".

K3eWYzv.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlCEkMTdg

Nope, that's pretty damn good.

Epcott

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Say, is there a way you can upload your own subject image on the Wii U version?

I know you can utilize the camera on the 3DS version, but there doesn't seem to be a way to import photos on the Wii U version.

Muku

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Say, is there a way you can upload your own subject image on the Wii U version?

I know you can utilize the camera on the 3DS version, but there doesn't seem to be a way to import photos on the Wii U version.

Don't believe so. Though, I tend to go to Miiverse and back my images up on my computer, for posterity sake. Any particular reason though you want them on your Wii U? Just a more curious as why you'd want them on there.

Epcott

Don't believe so. Though, I tend to go to Miiverse and back my images up on my computer, for posterity sake. Any particular reason though you want them on your Wii U? Just a more curious as why you'd want them on there.

Not my sketches, those are fine.
Before you start your painting, you can choose a "Subject Image", preloaded pictures of strawberries, candles, dandelions, so on. When you choose the image, it grids it or you and places it on the television for easy reference and better accuracy. In the 3DS version, you can take photographs and use your own photograph or subject image. I was hoping Wii U did the same, but it doesn't... sooooo I'll just have to glance at my reference photo and do things the tedious way :(

Muku

Not my sketches, those are fine.
Before you start your painting, you can choose a "Subject Image", preloaded pictures of strawberries, candles, dandelions, so on. When you choose the image, it grids it or you and places it on the television for easy reference and better accuracy. In the 3DS version, you can take photographs and use your own photograph or subject image. I was hoping Wii U did the same, but it doesn't... sooooo I'll just have to glance at my reference photo and do things the tedious way :(

Ahhh, sorry. I don't use reference images on the Wii U, or 3DS for that matter. If I'm looking at reference images, mine or others, I tend to bring them up on my computer or iPad. :(

Lumyst

I finally got around to purchasing Art Academy: Sketchpad! Just made this today:

zlCfzRQqHHMFf9TvfG

(Video game character.) First time I've tried drawing an "anime" character, eyes are huge! And psh, us unrefined doodlers are sooooo going to become masters once the lessons are available (in my dreams.)

Epcott

anybody else get an update today? in australia here, don't know what it did..

I saw an update, but I have no idea what it did, even though I've been painting for hours.

I hope they add the ability to zoom more, an oil paint brush, a water color brush, and a shape tool. I like the program, but its just too basic.

Lumyst

Okay, though I "bs'ed" it, I tried shading to give depth to certain things.

Started with a milk bottle:
zlCfzRTZAh080npFG-

Then tried shading a video game character:
zlCfzRVFmcUX3G589R

So pastels let you mix colors, is there a certain order that's preferred? Light to dark, etc.? To make the skin, I had to layer a pinkish color on top of white. I suppose there could be more than one way to get to the same end result though. Hopefully Nintendo didn't cancel the lessons aspect of this program.

LegendX48

Got a random question, does art Academy take a while to load and save for anyone else or just me?

Anywho, I've never been good at digital art but here's some stuff I've done:

The first thing I did
zlCfzRTy86QGRTsF0w

I don't know if it's just my monitor but the eyes were blue when I colored them and looked at it on my TV

zlCfzRTzA-8058zuyk

Did this like twenty minutes ago or so

zlCfzRVKWHgR7I3jFL

Bumhat

Finally back on Art Academy after nearly two months, I'm still going through a list of old requests:

Lady Palutena (based on official artwork)
palutena.jpg

Stanley the Bugman! (hybrid of original style and Melee trophy colours)
stanley.jpg

Nintendo ID: TomWright

LegendX48

hehe, I saw that Palutena while browsing through the art academy miiverse page the other day lol

Anywho, decided to color that last image I did. Decided to give the pastels a whirl and, man, they are awesome. I wish I was better at shading though.

zlCfzRVhRE0cuOQieM

yoshiunity

Awesome! :D

I love how Daisy is the nurse. I assume she isn't really in the game, though? :(

Thanks! And sadly, no she isn't in the game. Honestly I wouldn't have mind even if they pulled a Nurse Peach and only have her in the digital instructions (Instruction book for Peach) or something, but no.

Robin64

Nintendo of Europe just tweeted the following:

On 24/1 the Art Academy SketchPad Miiverse community will host a Legend of #Zelda: A Link Between Worlds drawing event. Stay tuned!

Robin64

A Zelda drawing competition has just begun on Miiverse!

Aonuma said:
Hi, Art Academy SketchPad users! This is Eiji Aonuma, the Producer of the Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. I was so impressed by the Luigi Exhibition that I came here to ask you all to post drawings based on the Legend of Zelda series!

For this event, the theme is to draw your favorite characters from the Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds!

Express your creativity by setting characters from the game in your original situations.

Guidelines:
• Pictures must be drawn using Art Academy: SketchPad which is available for purchase in the eShop.
• Pictures must feature at least one character from the Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.
• Entries are limited to one original work per person.
• Comment on this post to submit your entry.
• Pictures will be chosen based on a rating system that considers skills, artistic expression and creativity.
• The artists whose entries receive the highest rating will be chosen by Nintendo. We may share your drawings outside Miiverse.

Remember, this is a global event, so please avoid using writing in your work.

The event will end on Feb. 16, 2014 or after there are over 1000 comments, whichever comes first. Works that stood out to us will be recognized under the categories of Gold Star, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Aonuma's Favorites, and Art Academy Favorites in this community. Depending on what drawings are submitted, we may add more categories!

Regardless of if you own Art Academy: SketchPad or not, I am also looking forward to seeing your Yeah!s, comments and the names of artists you would like to compliment.

If you need character reference, a link to our Japanese official site is below.
This event is not only about drawing skill but also creativity, so don't be shy and have fun!

Note: If you submit a drawing as a comment to this post, you grant to Nintendo the royalty-free right to publish your drawings online and offline.

Wow, the drawings in here are awesome! I recently bought Sketchpad on Wii U and I'm loving it :)

first drawing:
zlCfzRfXOJ4tx5uJq_

might buy the 3DS version since it's more beefed up :p

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Been a while since I posted in here, great to see some awesome arts being shown! Very nice work, guys!

I generally only AA on the weekends lately for my "Toonami Sketch Dumps", but I've been working on this one across multiple weeks for Space Dandy, so I'm pretty proud of it!

zlCfzRetbUwLje9W-u

See on Miiverse Here.

Baleoce

Thanks! Appreciated!

Hm, so basically using a stencil to get a trace onto Art Academy, eh? I wonder how many of the AA artist use this method for their pics, original or otherwise?

It wasn't stenciled. I just printed the grid (someone made it online) to use as a reference :) I wanted to use the same grid that was appearing on my gamepad.

Epcott

Has there been an update yet for this?

I was intending to go back and rework some of my paintings, and contribute to the Zelda contest, but the PS4 took my interest.

Also, its a shame some features in the Wii U version are still unavailable. As a drawing program, is just barely adequate (no shape tools, can't upload photos like 3DS version, no alt media like watercolor or oil, no copy and paste, or intense zoom feature)... its pretty bad compared to even the most basic PC art programs.

I hate to post such negativity because I think it's great they at least HAVE art software on their consoles. But I'm frustrated with Nintendo and their waiting game (and slowness to support) and how it's tricked into this amazing software. Ugh.

/rant

I'll probably get back to this by Summer, I hope.

Baleoce

Has there been an update yet for this?

I was intending to go back and rework some of my paintings, and contribute to the Zelda contest, but the PS4 took my interest.

Also, its a shame some features in the Wii U version are still unavailable. As a drawing program, is just barely adequate (no shape tools, can't upload photos like 3DS version, no alt media like watercolor or oil, no copy and paste, or intense zoom feature)... its pretty bad compared to even the most basic PC art programs.

I hate to post such negativity because I think it's great they at least HAVE art software on their consoles. But I'm frustrated with Nintendo and their waiting game (and slowness to support) and how it's tricked into this amazing software. Ugh.

/rant

I'll probably get back to this by Summer, I hope.

Yeah they've been very quiet on the update for this. With regards to lessons / paints etc. No clue how that's coming along.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It wasn't stenciled. I just printed the grid (someone made it online) to use as a reference :) I wanted to use the same grid that was appearing on my gamepad.

Ahh, so just as a "by eye" assistance, eh? Cool. I know there's been people who have been accused of using plotters on their miiverse arts, so I always find it interesting to see the kind of ways people use outside methods for miiverse-post-related stuff.

...As a drawing program, is just barely adequate (no shape tools, can't upload photos like 3DS version, no alt media like watercolor or oil, no copy and paste, or intense zoom feature)... its pretty bad compared to even the most basic PC art programs.

As a long time Photoshop and Mangastudio (and a few others on occasion) user, I can feel your pain. Digital Art EASILY spoils one with simple features like the UNDO commands, layers, opacity sliders, Copy/Paste, etc...

..But as an even longer term Pencil, Paper, and Pen user, it's funny how little most of that has to do with straight drawing! Every time I think about what the program doesn't have, I think about the fact that it does a better job mimicking the media it has than my version of Photoshop ever has... and that agitates me, lol. (yeah, I know there are other programs better suited for these things, of course.)

I do wish they were more upfront about updates.. it really seems like it's just been sent out with no planning whatsoever. But the limit of tools is actually kind of refreshing, and it makes the amazing things people pull off all the more impressive. While so many of those additional features would widen the amount of people who could achieve certain things, the program already has a good amount of features that lets one mimic just about anything with enough work.

A quick doodle I did before bed. Actually want to make a shirt print out of this.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_0198j1m.jpg

another one, still work in progress
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01izjbi.jpg

and the finished (or rather abandoned) piece.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01bxuv6.jpg

yoshiunity

Hey, I'm grump!

*Finishes painting*

I'm not so grump!

I just finished fan art of the Game Grumps!

zlCfzR0FkqkyyoxRXN.jpg

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlRcDG9_g

Now... I could explain why the Grumps are flying through the skies on their grump heads. I could explain why Mochi and Mimi are in their true forms. (lol) I could even explain what crazy turn of events inspired me to make this!

But I'm not going to! =D I thought it would be a cool and bizarre idea and went for it... Well, shit. Guess I sort of explain everything there. Also, I obviously like the Game Grumps.

Is there a thread for 3DS users to post in? I started near the beginning of the month and can't get enough, and it's so sad that there's no Miiverse community for we portable proletariat.

It's weird, but a full Art Academy game on Wii U is one of the things I'm most excited for when I think about buying the console.

Who would have thought?

On note: since I don't have a Wii U yet, I settled for Art Academy: First Semester which is currently up on Club Nintendo. Just started, but I'm really enjoying it, actually.

piggychan

some amazing stuff here.. I just purchased this app a few days ago and today just started playing with it..

Ah well here's my take ..
First attempt:
zlCfzR9IpkkrsxYYCW

unfinished version:
zlCfzR9JrQszJDbd5B

Finished version..
zlCfzR9Ku04qVOG1vC

Also I really should be wearing glasses when drawing as my eyes go blurry when I look at the screen or read anything..

Top Bottom