• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Candy Crush Saga yields 470,000 ($625K) per day, has 45 million players worldwide

Source: Le Parisien, via Les Numériques

470,000 Euros per day and 45 million players for Candy Crush Saga
A free game that earns big.

Real phenomenon despite a concept seen again and again, Candy Crush Saga does what's necessary to get talked about - especially with advertising - and it seems to work, since the game brings in millions to its creators.

According to newspaper Le Parisien, no less than 45 million players have downloaded the Candy Crush Saga appplication, available on smartphones and tablets, or via Facebook. Such a success that the game brings in nearly EUR 470 000 per day to its British developers of King studio (2003, 450 employees worldwide).

If the premise of the game is not very innovative - aligning at least three identical candies, like Bejeweled or even Tetris for example - and its success can be explained by the free-to play model. The game is free, but it offers paid options to increase the endgame score. The competition between players is then fueled with leaderboards that make you want to do better than your Facebook friends who have just destroyed your score. Word-of-mouth, advertising and all the buzz around the game do the rest.

Not surprised, when I was doing a bit of backpacking at start of the year as a job break around Asia.

Every subway/bus etc I went on. There was Candy Crush!

Roxas

arkwZnV.png

Cels

i installed this game a couple mo ago.

haven't spent a penny but i've now at levels where i really feel like your progression is determined a great deal more by RNG than by your skill, so i haven't played in a couple weeks. maybe i'm just being bad though, there is probably some strategy i'm missing.

for reference i'm at level 165, and there are almost 400 levels.

SmokyDave

Eh, fair enough. Can't say as I'm too much of a fan of the random element, but it's perfectly possible to play the game for huge lengths of time without paying a penny. Personally I played the first 65 levels and then knocked it on the head when I had to choose between bugging people on Facebook or paying 69p.

Candy Crush does some things very well.

1. Decent graphics
2. Superb feedback mechanisms for positive reinforcement
3. NO ADS
4. Even with the RNG rigging, it's still subtle enough to make you think you may have a chance, not like hitting a brick wall like with other games

So even though I feel this whole freemium genre is manipulative, I still hope others will follow the gentler Candy Crush model after seeing this success.

EA have it all wrong. Bejewelled (or Tetris) Blitz for example. Regardless of how well you play the game, you just pay for a big fuck off non-interactive booster that adds load to your score at the end. Bejewelled has a funny one where a giant robot cat head comes in and blasts away half your board. Deliciously random as that might be, it's pure bullshit in a score attack game.

shink

I hate Candy Crush because of the limited moves. Jewels Saga on Android is much more relaxed but doesn't look that great.

idwl

I wonder if that's more than what Mojang earns with Minecraft every day or what Valve earns with Steam.
No. I remember reading valve made around a billion dollars in 2010 that's around 2million+ dollars a day for that year. Don't know how much was from steam exclusively though

jdforge

Banned
Played it, deleted it. Some of my friends are addicted to it and do spend money.

There's also some kind of glitch that by changing the date on your iPhone you get more lives.

magnetic

I always hated this style of match 3 puzzle games. Tetris Attack / Panel de Pon was so brilliant with being able to set up huge, satisfying chains. The way those other games force you to only make one move at a time bores me to tears.

Radec

I got all highscore among my friends on the first 100 levels.

Infinite Lives + Powerups are nice.

Thanks to some android app :p

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Have a friend who works at King, the numbers in the article sound accurate from what I've heard. :)

meanwhile Zynga cries in the corner

SGRU

This is were the portable gaming goes, I'm afraid.

Pretty jealous of them, I whish I could earn just a fraction of that by progamming a so simple game.

Midas

Crazy and very impressive. I really gotta figure out a way to earn some money from smart phone gaming market.

KemoSabe

Perfect example of today's gaming world.
Its so sad to see a fucking match three game makes this amount of money every day...

I've ceased to be surprised by these things. What was the last one? draw something? I'm not sure.

These games seem to blow up and go viral VERY quickly, then collapse overnight. Followups are hard to do, as the concept gets played out and casuals all go to the next big thing.

it's the gaming equivalent of winning the lottery. trying to build a business around finding the next big one is pointless.

SmokyDave

Perfect example of today's gaming world.
More people enjoying games than ever?

Awful stuff. Won't someone think of the gamers?!

Its so sad to see a fucking match three game makes this amount of money every day...
Match 3 games rock. Easy to get into, difficult to put down. Try playing 10,000,000 sometime, it's a cracker.

Skeff

It makes me sad that games like this make so much money and there are pure masterpieces out there that by comparison make next to nothing, anyway yea, this is part of the reason i think microsoft are going to take a sidestep after this upcoming gen, $99 media box with candy crush, farmville, zynga games as a focus with XB1 games too, don't think we'll see a true Xbox One 2 or whatever it would be called.

Also as a reply to a lot of people saying its good that they make so much money gaming is expanding, is it good for CoD to make so much money for a non-CoD'er? no because developers chase that CoD crowd, even final fantasy went chasing the CoD crowd and even came out and said it.

StiLt

I'm up to level 102 and haven't paid a single cent mwarharhar. Take that establishment!

I don't always play dodgy free to play games, but when I do I damn well play for free

KemoSabe

More people enjoying games than ever?

Awful stuff. Won't someone think of the gamers?!

Match 3 games rock. Easy to get into, difficult to put down. Try playing 10,000,000 sometime, it's a cracker.
I only saw the .99 cent iap where you get 5 moves extra or so.
I bet the other iap are similar...
How is something like that enjoyable?

SmokyDave

I only saw the .99 cent iap where you get 5 moves extra or so.
I bet the other iap are similar...
How is something like that enjoyable?
You know that buying IAP isn't the actual game, right?

It's perfectly possible to play and enjoy games such as these without spending a single penny.

Is it an original game by the developer or a reskinned one?
It's an original game. As original as a match 3 gets, anyway.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Hmmm those download numbers seem wrong. I was at a small conference where a creative director from King presented on Candy Crush Saga and I'm pretty sure he said the game had been downloaded over 200m times over 2 months ago.

45m is probably the active player base (indeed, that might be the daily active user base given the revenue they are generating).

Edit: just went back to his Powerpoint and checked. In May this year they had 190m+ monthly active players across their portfolio on mobile and Facebook, the majority of those being Candy Crush Saga players.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Fumito Ueda is on my Facebook friend list and he is constantly playing candy crush. TLG will never come out :))

That number is a sole reason why devs jump ship to smartphone market. Can we really blame them? Another example, Puzzle&Dragon makes >$100 million every month in Japan. Console game Dev can only dream making that kind of money.

I was thinking that this wasn't really all that different to arcade gaming back in the day.

Back then you'd pay to start the game, and probably die/lose within a minute or two unless you were well practiced. To continue playing, you inserted coins. Often you'd find people pouring coin after coin into the slot to build up continues and lives, or time extends.

So I can't really criticise the method of pay-to-play that games like this offer. It's just when it's blatantly cynical to the point where you HAVE to pay to progress and no level of skill can get you through alone that causes the problems. If you can get through Candy Crush without spending a penny then that's fine by me. But yeah, we've been paying for extra lives and playtime since the start of gaming.

As long as I don't get ads interrupting my play session and I'm not forced to pay, I'm happy. Still haven't played CC though!

I'm on level 256 in CCS, haven't spent a dime. CCS is the perfect time waster. It doesn't inundate you with ads, you play until you run out of lives so you're not sitting there for hours frustrated at one level, and if you want to you can pay your way to victory.

The RNG gameplay can get annoying, but it's a small price to pay.

.GqueB.

Banned
I'm on level 65 and I did spend a dollar once to get extra lives. My progress is slow going because I'm trying to three star everything. Some levels are just annoying. Level 50 is just some unfun wretched shit.

Top Bottom