• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Saty
(08-15-2013, 02:58 PM)
This is from John Patrick Lowrie's website. He did voice-work for HL2, L4D2 and DOTA2.

http://lowrie.camelpress.com/?p=306#comment-15796

Sorry, Iím afraid that the opposite is true. HL3 is not being worked on at this time as far as I know.

Right. As far as I know they are not developing HL3 now for several reasons, among them the mo-cap issue. Sorry for any confusion. What they might decide in the future depends on lots of different factors. I hope they do, personally, but it has to make sense for them.

Here is the biggest challenge with bringing out HL3: the big thing now with FPSs is motion capture, or mo-cap. One of the great things about HL2 is that all of the characters that you meet actually look at you when they talk to you no matter where you go or stand. With mo-cap you canít do that, at least not yet. Once you film the actor doing something and capture that motion, thatís what the character is going to do. This works great in movies, but when you make something interactive it gets way less interactive with mo-cap. So thatís one of the things theyíre working on.

Still nothing definitive, but I hope this helps you understand at least one of the reasons why they havenít brought out HL3 yet

Frumix
Suffering From Success
(08-15-2013, 03:00 PM)
Well that is stupid if true.
Should've made that Episode 3 to at least sorta put a period in the story if they were going to wait for so long.
Sub_Level
Its like Avatar where Gabe will wait a decade+ for the tech to catch up to Valve's vision.
border
wears the band's shirts to the band's concerts
can't comprehend the origin of terms
I always liked the explanation that Half Life 3 was not in development because nobody at Valve feels like making it, and they have such a loose management structure that nobody has to do anything they don't really feel like.
Kifimbo

As far as I know

Yoshichan
I've played over 500 hours of DMC2 and consider the game good.
That is NOT the reason why it's not being developed.
SparkTR
(08-15-2013, 03:01 PM)
So if they are working on this mo-cap tech like he says, doesn't that mean they are working on HL3?
Future PhaZe
bullshit
Baleoce
I'm not really buying into that.
mandiller
So we've been waiting 6 years for HL3 because they can't program smooth character animation?
Nirolak
Mrgrgr
Well, I'm sure this appears somewhere on the list but:

Originally Posted by border

I always liked the explanation that Half Life 3 was not in development because nobody [or at least an insufficient number of people to get the project going anywhere] at Valve feels like making it, and they have such a loose management structure that nobody has to do anything they don't really feel like.

This is almost assuredly the #1 reason.
Law Abiding Stranger
Banned
(08-15-2013, 03:02 PM)
HL3 is truely the ultimate vaporware.

In my opinion, Valve will not bother to finish the trilogy.
LiK
(08-15-2013, 03:02 PM)
Which means it's in active development. Thanks dude.
SovanJedi
provides useful feedback
(08-15-2013, 03:03 PM)
I thought they hand-animated their humans? Don't they have a handful of ex-Pixar staff working for them?

Also, when has Valve ever worried about having their work compared to other games? Their big thing is that they're such a unique snowflake they end up doing what they like, when they like, WHO they like.
HoosTrax
I wonder if I'm the only one who read that in the Sniper's voice...

He's a voice actor -- I'm not sure how privy he would be to the development process. Don't they usually just call him in at the end to read his lines?
spuit*11
So a lack of animation skills is keeping them from making HL3? Sounds like a bullshit excuse to me.

If they don't know how to make an animation system compelling enough they should use those Steam dollars to build up animating and technical know-how until they DO know how to make one.
NinjaCarrot

Originally Posted by Sub_Level

Its like Avatar where Gabe will wait a decade+ for the tech to catch up to Valve's vision.

And we all know how that turned out.
ElbowRocket
The Gman is up to something..
EatChildren
Chico is Quiet
(08-15-2013, 03:04 PM)
It's never going to get made anyway because Valve is a dedicated F2P community/microtransactions based software developer and digital storefront now.
AlimNassor
(08-15-2013, 03:04 PM)
Guess it's true Half Life 3 is never coming out.
Scoot2005
Goes #2 on his head
(08-15-2013, 03:05 PM)
That is the lamest excuse I have ever heard. I'm pretty sure mocap is incredibly advanced if developer videos are anything to go by.
Pai Pai Master
(08-15-2013, 03:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Nirolak

Yep, we've known for some time that that's how Valve works. You want to work on a project? Pull up your desk and get cracking with the rest of the team.

Half Life 3 could be in development if there were enough people who wanted to make it. As we've seen from Dota 2 and now, apparently, Left4Dead 3, there don't seem to be many people at Valve who want to make Half Life 3. And if they don't want to make it, I wouldn't want them to.
The Dutch Slayer
(08-15-2013, 03:06 PM)
They did it correctly with HL2 and ep 1 and 2.
Why not use that tech again?

If it already worked for the prev games......
Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
More than likely, while participating in the recording process for one or more of the projects he worked on, he probably had a conversation with someone at Valve who discussed this mo-cap issue as a barrier to development in 2013, and either that person or this person blustered a little bit in terms of causally connecting it to the development of any particular game.
Montresor

Originally Posted by EatChildren

It's never going to get made anyway because Valve is a dedicated F2P community/microtransactions based software developer and digital storefront now.

Not sure if you are joking but this is what I wanted to say.
S1kkZ
(08-15-2013, 03:07 PM)

they will never make it for money reasons. there is just zero pressure. maybe when the new source engine is finished, they will finally get to work.
Diprosalic

Originally Posted by NinjaCarrot

And we all know how that turned out.

critically and commercially acclaimed movie that made $2.7 billion?
Last edited by Diprosalic; 08-15-2013 at 03:12 PM.
Jackpot
Told you it wasn't being worked on.
Screaming Meat
Hmmm. Three seperate quotes on the same subject? HL3 CONFIRMED.
Pie and Beans
Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
(08-15-2013, 03:08 PM)
How long will it take for Valve to just sort of forget how to even make a game like Half Life now? Its already been like 7 years and some pretty senior staff leaving.

I mean if they don't have good enough Mo-cap, its not like theyre rolling in fuckin money to buy the most ridiculously best variety available.
strafer
(08-15-2013, 03:09 PM)
Fucking shit. :(
Emerson
May contain jokes =>
(08-15-2013, 03:11 PM)

If/when HL3 ever comes out I'm pretty certain it will be F2P. I'm not really convinced Valve ever releases a traditionally priced game again. Trying to figure out how that monetization works is probably another big reason why the game isn't in active development, among the others mentioned in the thread.
Pikma
(08-15-2013, 03:12 PM)
Someone called me dumb last month for suggesting the game wasn't in dev'ment

Originally Posted by Robot Pants

Obviously that's what she meant.
She wouldn't be so dumb as to insinuate that HL3 isn't in development when Gabe confirmed it (as indirect as it was) many months ago.

Ha, Ha, I say
Saty

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

More than likely, while participating in the recording process for one or more of the projects he worked on, he probably had a conversation with someone at Valve who discussed this mo-cap issue as a barrier to development in 2013, and either that person or this person blustered a little bit in terms of causally connecting it to the development of any particular game.

More or less:

Well, Iím not sure how big it is for HL2 fans. They donít tell me their business plans, this was just a conversation I had. Right now theyíre pretty full up with all the games they already have out there that they continue to support, plus the Steam stuff that they do, so, I donít want to get peopleís hopes up. I have no idea what theyíre planning for the future. But I did have that conversation with some Valve folks, so I thought you might like to know what theyíre thinking about.

stargateheaven
couldn't they just mocap the body, and then have the head just look at you? (within reason of course, they aren't owls)
Snowden's Secret
Banned

Originally Posted by Nirolak

I actually think it's more likely that Valve is a service provider, and a big, cinematic single player game is the antithesis of that, so there's no value in it for them (I guess this is related to your reason, actually). How do you long-term monetize a traditional single player game?

Further down the list, I suspect that Valve knows that Half-Life 3 could never live up to expectations and certainly not "revolutionary" in the way HL2 was, which is also demotivating (again, plays into you reason).

So I guess I agree with you(?) lol
runningjoke
(08-15-2013, 03:13 PM)
They should figure out a way to make the mocap live, so the player and all the characters are actual people in a virtual environment.
klee123
That's so lame. The fact that they left a cliff hanger in episode 2 just rubs salt on the wound.
Deku Tree
If this is true then why doesn't Valve just admit it?
What do they have to lose by saying its not in development?
Hero_of_the_Day
(08-15-2013, 03:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Frumix

Well that is stupid if true.
Should've made that Episode 3 to at least sorta put a period in the story if they were going to wait for so long.

It really is shitty of them that they never put out Episode 3. I'd imagine a good number of people wouldn't have wasted their time with the first two if they knew they were never getting the finale.
jmls1121
Banned
(08-15-2013, 03:15 PM)

This. Valve is not the same company anymore.
Diprosalic

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

fun, they obviously like screwing with all of us and it keeps them in the gaming news. Everyday there is an article about HL3.
LiquidMetal14
hide your water-based mammals
I'm convinced it's in dev and just under super tight wraps.
Can Crusher
This can't be the reason, because if it is then it's a really goddamn stupid one lol.
Wickerbasket
(08-15-2013, 03:16 PM)

Originally Posted by Deku Tree

What good could come from admitting it's not in development?

No love could come from that, just anger.
Lord-Audie
(08-15-2013, 03:17 PM)
I gave up hope a long time ago.
sirap
What? No...this can't be the reason. There's no difference between mocap keys and hand animated keys...in the end you have to clean up the mocap data anyway (often times using it only as reference, you animate the character on top of it similar to tracing a character over live footage in 2d)

You can just easily delete all the keys for the head and have it remain in a blank state, or have the mocapped animation blend with the head aiming in game.

There are plenty of easy solutions for this :s
Coolwhip

Originally Posted by LiquidMetal14

I'm convinced it's in dev and just under super tight wraps.

Of course it is. Valve just has no reason to rush it. Sure they will piss off a few fans, but in the end rushing HL3 and making it anything less than amazing will be much more damaging.
Diprosalic

Originally Posted by Can Crusher

This can't be the reason, because if it is then it's a really goddamn stupid one lol.

maybe they had this one idea requiring motion capturing and then realised it wasn't possible, they all moved on and forgot about it.
Piers
(08-15-2013, 03:18 PM)
One more nail in the coffin.