• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Stumpokapow
Currently AFK. Please ask another moderator for help or support.
(08-15-2013, 04:48 PM)
- Unknown how this impacts buying GFWL games through, for example, Steam, but they should still work for now
- Unknown how this impacts ongoing server support, but they should still work for now (Halo 2 PC will run until at least early next year, at which point there will be updates)
- BioShock 2 is being updated with Minerva's Den for purchase on Steam, release date unknown. Arkham City and Arkham Asylum are also being updated to remove GFWL, so presumably their DLC will be for purchase on Steam.
- No more purchases will be possible through Xbox.com or with Microsoft Points.
- Redownloading purchased content is still available

https://www.facebook.com/gamesforwindows

As part of the upcoming Xbox 360 system update, Microsoft Points will be retired, and the Xbox.com PC marketplace will be closed as of August 22, 2013. We encourage you to spend your Microsoft Points balance prior to this change. Although you will not be able to purchase new games, you can continue to enjoy previously purchased content by downloading them through the Games for Windows LIVE client software as usual. More information is available here: http://support.xbox.com/pc/pc-marketplace-closing

Actual support link with FAQ:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/...tplace-closing

What happens to the games and downloaded content that I purchased?

You can continue to enjoy previously purchased games and downloadable content in your catalog by downloading it through the Games for Windows Live client. Although the purchase functionality will be discontinued, the Games for Windows Live service will continue to operate as usual.

Can I purchase in-game downloadable content for my current Games for Windows Live games after Microsoft Points go away?

In-game purchases and other downloadable content purchase availability will vary based on the particular game. Please contact specific game publisher for more information.

Will I be able to purchase Games for Windows Live games in other marketplaces now that Games for Windows Live titles are no longer available on Xbox.com?

Games for Windows Live titles published by Microsoft are no longer available for purchase from any marketplace. For other titles, please check directly with the title’s publishers.

Which games are going kaput?!
List of GFWL games that are disappearing with the market closure + list of GFWL games that would disappear if the activation servers went down: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...5&postcount=56
List of non-GFWL games that are no longer available digitally after next week because their only digital POS is GFWL Marketplace: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=100
Last edited by Stumpokapow; 08-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Stumpokapow
(08-15-2013, 04:49 PM)
Let me be the first of many:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js
Sinatar
Official GAF Bottom Feeder
R dott B
I liked GFWL oddly enough.
Wario64
works for Gamestop (lol)
Fuck I need to get my Xbox achievements
TronLight
(08-15-2013, 04:50 PM)
Paging Grief.exe.
Gintoki
Oh wow.
Dug
Dig
Halo for Steam...anytime now.....
StaticJam
Now I wait for the Halo Trilogy Steam announcement.
fantomena
statham
Its the only service I don't use & I use uplay,origin,gog,capsule,steam. It is bad.
Rollo Larson
aka Glute.Belly
(08-15-2013, 04:51 PM)

Originally Posted by R dott B

The store was decent but the DRM was doing far too much...
Nabs
JaseC
gave away the keys to the kingdom.

GFWL as a service isn't being retired, it's just the marketplace that's going the way of the dodo.
Glass Rebel
nooo, how will I buy Viva Piņata now?!
Hip Hop
(08-15-2013, 04:52 PM)

So did I. It never gave me problems and I loved how it was introduced to GTA IV. More achievements for me, and seeing my friends play on Xbox was a nice feature.
Stumpokapow
(08-15-2013, 04:52 PM)

Originally Posted by JaseC

GFWL as a service isn't being retired, it's just the marketplace that's going the way of the dodo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05jHfRVuKE
Baron von Loathsome
(08-15-2013, 04:53 PM)
And there was much rejoicing.
Overdoziz
Banned

Originally Posted by Dug

Halo for Steam...anytime now.....

Not even GFWL had Halo, sadly.
Totobeni
An blind dancing ho
Good Riddance.

- BioShock 2 is being updated with Minerva's Den for purchase on Steam, release date unknown. Arkham City and Arkham Asylum are also being updated to remove GFWL, so presumably their DLC will be for purchase on Steam.

WB and 2K need to give people with retail GFWL versions steam codes.
JaseC
(08-15-2013, 04:54 PM)

Originally Posted by Stumpokapow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d05jHfRVuKE

I wasn't denying that it stands to reason GFWL as a whole will be put to pasture eventually.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(08-15-2013, 04:55 PM)
Next stop: Origin.
R dott B

Originally Posted by Hip Hop

So did I. It never gave me problems and I loved how it was introduced to GTA IV. More achievements for me, and seeing my friends play on Xbox was a nice feature.

Agreed.

GFWL FO' LYFE.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
I made a point of never buying anything from the GFWL marketplace. Thanks to Microsoft it was very easy to stand by that.
gigantor21
(08-15-2013, 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Sinatar

Awesome. XD
ViewtifulJC
shots fired? we run!
RIP you POS
Durante
I'm taking it FROM here, so says Mr. Stewart

Let me be the first of many:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHQLQ1Rc_Js

I think it's somewhat concerning that I thought about posting that exact link while clicking the thread title.
Venfayth
(08-15-2013, 04:57 PM)

Originally Posted by Sinatar

Yes.
Lostconfused
I can make you pick a fight
With someone twice your size

Originally Posted by Stallion Free

Nah Uplay first. You can ignore Origin but Uplay opens up another damn launcher after steam.
JaseC

Originally Posted by Totobeni

This is easy enough for games, but GFWL DLC purchases don't come with keys, so I'm inclined to think people will have no choice but to double-dip.
JaggedSac
About time. It had been living in excruciating pain for years, they should have put it out of it's misery a long time ago.
MikeE21286
(08-15-2013, 04:58 PM)
Will they remove GFWL from GTA IV .....please god say yes. Worst thing about the PC version.
Stumpokapow

Originally Posted by Totobeni

I don't think it's very likely, but your pain can be soothed by the given fact that within a year, Amazon and/or Steam will have complete bundles of all games concerned available for something like $2-3--so while obviously paying for something you already own sucks, it sucks less when you pay less, right?
diggmcbadass
I wonder how many games will only be playable with pirated versions way down the line when they take the authentication servers offline? I wish all developers who are in a position to do so will remove the authentication from their games now.
DyTonic
(08-15-2013, 04:59 PM)
Only if MS played their cards right r.i.p..
AHA-Lambda
(08-15-2013, 04:59 PM)
Oh shit I better hurry and finish Dark Souls! D:
sense
(08-15-2013, 05:00 PM)
origin is probably way more successful than uplay or gfwl ever were thanks mainly to battlefield. i don't see uplay going away anyways. it sucks i would rather they all are under steam. one of the reasons i don't play battlefield that much is due to origin
Lord-Audie
What about dark souls?
Geedorah

Originally Posted by Lostconfused

Nah Uplay first. You can ignore Origin but Uplay opens up another damn launcher after steam.

Here here, uPlay is downright terrible. Just installed Origin for the first time yesterday - and it isn't tooooo bad. Still Steam > Desura > all the rest.
TheSeks
Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

- Unknown how this impacts buying GFWL games through, for example, Steam, but they should still work for now
- Unknown how this impacts ongoing server support, but they should still work for now (Halo 2 PC will run until at least early next year, at which point there will be updates)

That's the biggest question I've got: What is going to happen to Dark Souls and people buying that if they shut this down on Steam on the 22nd.

And what is going to happen to my retail Halo 2 disc, since it requires Games for Windows to validate the CD-key. :/ Hopefully I get a free update to Steam/digital and a better ported version

Originally Posted by Stallion Free

Origin isn't that bad. :/ I'd rather Uplay die than Origin. Would it be nice if EA put their titles up on Steam? Yeah. But Origin isn't as terrible as people make it out to be and I haven't had issues with Origin's support helping me with anything I may need help with.
paolo11
So what does it mean when I buy the retail version (disc) of Dark Souls PC or Arkham City ?It has no Steam on it. Does it mean it will be DRM free now on those versions?
JaseC
(08-15-2013, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by MikeE21286

Will they remove GFWL from GTA IV .....please god say yes. Worst thing about the PC version.

Nobody knows.
TronLight
(08-15-2013, 05:01 PM)

Originally Posted by paolo11

So what does it mean when I buy the retail version (disc) of Dark Souls PC or Arkham City ?It has no Steam on it. Does it mean it will be DRM free now on those versions?

Only the store is closing.
ec0ec0
(08-15-2013, 05:02 PM)
bye.
Blue Ninja
(08-15-2013, 05:02 PM)

Originally Posted by paolo11

No, the GFWL client will still exist.
Overdoziz
Banned
(08-15-2013, 05:03 PM)

GFWL shuts down early 2014, all games will see releases on Steam!
sense
(08-15-2013, 05:06 PM)
so pretty much like ubisoft games i guess. buy the game on steam but still needing uplay client except with MS games it will be gfwl client. that is going to suck.
A Serious Man
(08-15-2013, 05:09 PM)
And nothing of value was lost.
Stallion Free
Cock Encumbered
(08-15-2013, 05:10 PM)

Originally Posted by TheSeks

Origin isn't that bad. :/ I'd rather Uplay die than Origin. Would it be nice if EA put their titles up on Steam? Yeah. But Origin isn't as terrible as people make it out to be and I haven't had issues with Origin's support helping me with anything I may need help with.

The DLC implementation for Mass Effect 1-3/ Dragon Age 1/2 is beyond terrible.
PairOfFilthySocks
(08-15-2013, 05:12 PM)
Just end it now. Some poor ignorant soul may be signing up as we speak.