• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•16-18•13 - the butler did it! Paranoia does bad job kicking ass too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
I actually enjoyed Jobs. I don't know where people thought it was too fluffy of a biopic, Jobs comes across as an asshole pretty consistently.

I wouldn't call jobs a flop yet. The budget was only 12 million + 30 million marketing? Probably less? It will in all likelyhood break even.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Well it's one of the strangest things of the year for me. Giant robot movie with japanese actress in lead role and it fucking bombs there. Shame on you Japan.
Isn't that Japanese actress a pariah over there for showing her lady garden in a film, a film that got get an Oscar nomination, btw?

Drakeon

Good job on the budget for KA2. No way it isn't profitable with such a tiny budget. I totally forgot that came out.

ScubaD00d

Banned
Glad Pacific Rim ended up doing quite well.

Sad that Elysium didn't quite make it. Loved District 9, even though Elysium didn't compare I would like to see more from that director.

TheWraith

The number is still not good. Bare in mind that even with the new favorable ruling, studios still only get 25% of the box office in China.

The franchise licensing potential in Asia is huge for a future sequel and Legendary has set up an office and joint venture in China which would allow them to return a much larger % of profits. Chances for a sequel are definitely looking up now.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
If PR gets a sequel, it should be an anime miniseries. Better ROI, and a 13 episode series can flesh out the story a bit.

RevoDS

Kick-Ass 2 was one of the few movies that caught my attention this summer; and it turns out it's not showing on any screen within a 200km radius of my city...

Grown ups 2

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $127,435,000 73.9%
+ Foreign: $45,000,000 26.1%
= Worldwide: $172,435,000

Planes

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $45,090,000 86.1%
+ Foreign: $7,300,000 13.9%
= Worldwide: $52,390,000
Kick ass 2

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $13,568,000 68.3%
+ Foreign: $6,300,000 31.7%
= Worldwide: $19,868,000

great, im happy for these numbers.

These numbers are nothing to be happy about.

Bluth54

Please don't get a sequel :(

The movie was average at best, let Del Toro make something else.

I want to see a Pacific Rim sequel, but I want Del Toro to do the Haunted Mansion movie first since it's my favorite Disney ride and I get the feeling he would do it justice unlike the other movie.

linsivvi

The franchise licensing potential in Asia is huge for a future sequel and Legendary has set up an office and joint venture in China which would allow them to return a much larger % of profits. Chances for a sequel are definitely looking up now.

Joint ventures and catering to the Chinese audience is what killed what little was left of the Hong Kong movie industry.

If you think Hollywood blockbusters are getting stale now wait until you see the movies coming up of joint ventures. This is not a good thing.

TheWraith

Joint ventures and catering to the Chinese audience is what killed what little was left of the Hong Kong movie industry.

If you think Hollywood blockbusters are getting stale now wait until you see the movies coming up of joint ventures. This is not a good thing.

A "joint venture" movie would indeed not be a good thing, and I'm from Hong Kong myself so I know that killed HK cinema very well. At the outset Legndary's new office is not there to churn out US-Chinese JV movies but a promotion and distribution agency so thats a good thing. Also if Del Toro remains at the helm I'm sure it will not succumb to studio and company influenced crap like the China-only scenes for Iron Man 3 for instance.

Busty

Banned
Between We're The Millers and The Conjuring New Line (or the two cubicles they inhabit at Warners) have really turned around their year after Jack The Giant Slayer and Burt Wonderstone.

I'm sure the The Hobbit part 2 will cap their year nicely.

I'm sure Elysium will finish under $100m in the states and be deemed a failure. The Smurfs 2 is doing horribly. Not sure what Sony must be thinking given they are committed to a third film in summer 2015.

I want to see a Pacific Rim sequel, but I want Del Toro to do the Dark Universe/Vertigo Justice League movie first since it would be FUCKING AWESOME!!!!

Fixed.

Also Del Toro is already doing a haunted house movie for Legendary. The Disney deal fell through ages ago.

I can see people being happy that at least it was not a bomb like so many here predicted after the US opening.... With over 400 million worldwide goss, merchandise money and home video sales it will turn some profit.
People keep saying that without anything to back it up. I guess good for you for keeping your optimism, but most of the gross was made internationally where the margins are much worse than domestic. You are not even counting marketing campaign which was significant.

Hopefully Del Toro got it out of his chest. I want more movies with the brilliance of Pans Labyrinth from him, and less throwaway commercial filler like Pacific Rim and Hellboy 2.

Not that I think there's anything wrong with commercial movies, because I absolutely don't, but Del Toro simply isn't very good at them.

kswiston

Slow and boring September is just around the corner

Friday Studio Estimates:
1) The Butler - $4.8M - $40M total
2) Meet the Millers - $4M - $82M total
3) The World's End - $3.5M
4) The Mortal Instruments - $3.1M - $8M total
5) You're Next - $3.0M
6) Planes - $2.3M - $53M
7) Elysium - $2M - $64M total
8) Percy Jackson - $1.5M - $45M total
9) Kick Ass 2 - $1.3M - $19M total
10) Blue Jasmine - $1.2M - 12M total

- The World's End did alright considering that it's only playing in 1500 theatres. It should end up with $9-10M for the weekend.

- The Mortal Instruments is a domestic flop. It's playing in over 3000 theatres and will earn less than $15M over its 5-day opening. I suppose overseas grosses could save the film, but as of now it looks like Sony's losing streak will continue.

Alrus

The Mortal Instrument is part of the wave of movie trying to ride off the success of Twilight. None of those were a success overseas, so don't expect those market to save this one.

You're Next did pretty meh for its genre too.

kswiston

Weekend Studio Estimates:
1) The Butler - $17.0M - $52M total
2) Meet the Millers - $13.5M - $92M total
3) The Mortal Instruments - $9.3M - $15M total
4) The World's End - $8.9M
5) Planes - $8.6M - $60M
6) Elysium - $7.1M - $69M total
7) You're Next - $7.0M
8) Percy Jackson - $5.2M - $48M total
9) Blue Jasmine - $4.3M - 15M total
10) Kick Ass 2 - $4.3M - $22M total

xx) Pacific Rim - $403k - $99.2M total
xx) World War Z - $314k - $198.9M total

Weekend Studio Estimates:
1) The Butler - $17.0M - $52M total
2) Meet the Millers - $13.5M - $92M total
3) The Mortal Instruments - $9.3M - $15M total
4) The World's End - $8.9M
5) Planes - $8.6M - $60M
6) Elysium - $7.1M - $69M total
7) You're Next - $7.0M
8) Percy Jackson - $5.2M - $48M total
9) Blue Jasmine - $4.3M - 15M total
10) Kick Ass 2 - $4.3M - $22M total

xx) Pacific Rim - $403k - $99.2M total
xx) World War Z - $314k - $198.9M total
Pacific Rim to crawl to $100m. WWZ to crawl to $200m.

numble

The number is still not good. Bare in mind that even with the new favorable ruling, studios still only get 25% of the box office in China.
1. The box office expands massively year by year. Pacific Rim beat the Avengers gross in China by $30 million or so.
2. Legendary signed a co-production deal with China Film Group in May, future co-productions can get a higher share of the proceeds. China Film Group may be interested in co-producing an IP that made $110 million in it's first outing.
3. Sequels make more money.
4. MPAA negotiations have continually gradually increased the foreign share of proceeds.

numble

Hong Kong had to cater all their movies to China because it just made sense given the lack of a viable internal market.

For something like Pacific Rim, which grosses more money in China than America, why not cater to that audience? If Chinese like mechs so much more than America, and you are in a position to provide that market with a mech movie, it is not a bad thing for them to pursue a sequel because they think it can make a lot of money in China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom