• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs. Daredevil: A popularity contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has Daredevil never caught on in the public eye the way Batman has? You mention the name "Batman", everyone knows the name. You mention Daredevil and everyone is likely to think of a stunt man.

I think it has a lot to do with Batman's villains being more iconic than Matt Murdock's.

Opinions?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Batman has been around forever and with the help of tv shows, movies and so on

Daredevil has that shit movie with Affleck

In spite of a couple of turds, Batman has yielded several good-to-great movies.

Meanwhile, the sole Daredevil film was awful.

The general public didn't really give a shit about Iron Man until the first movie came out five years ago. It was great, so the character gained mainstream popularity.

The Batman iconicity plays with more people. Daredevil's latest run has been really high quality, though.

They just aren't really similar characters at all--in any respect.

Also people read Batman for Batman not because Penguin shows up.

Batman has been around longer, and in more popular media such as TV and movies. Batman has the far superior rogues gallery as well.

Daredevil could be huge if Marvel handles it correctly though. It's a shame the Affleck movie left such a bad taste in everyone's mouth.

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
Why has Daredevil never caught on in the public eye the way Batman has? You mention the name "Batman", everyone knows the name. You mention Daredevil and everyone is likely to think of a stunt man.

I think it has a lot to do with Batman's villains being more iconic than Matt Murdock's.

Opinions?

I would say this is a large part of why Batman is more popular than almost any other superhero. Batman easily has the best rogue's gallery. Its possible to follow Batman without really liking Batman due to how great his villains are. Hell I read comics and the only villain of Daredevil that I know of is Kingpin and he's not exclusive to Daredevil.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Because...

The Batman:
batman-1989-poster.jpg

Batman The Animated Series:
240px-Batman_the_Animated_Series_logo.jpg

TDK Trilogy:
IMAX-Melbourne-Dark-Knight-Trilogy-1086937.jpg

And then:
Daredevil:
200px-Daredevil_poster.JPG

Batman just dominates the media by comparison.

Toys, cartoons, movies, like 1,000 different bat-books etc

I assume this is based on tv shows and movies. But I wonder what made Batman a more marketable everyday hero than Barman. Yeah...a billionaire overcomes the death of his parents to fight crime.

Ok...kid from bad part of town overcomes blindness....seems just as marketable a story...but I guess Bruce Wayne's $$$ results in the availability of some pretty cool tech stuff.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Batman has been a cross-media property since the 40s. The 60s TV show was hugely popular.

Outside of doing guess spots on a cartoon or TV movie or the Affleck movie, Daredevil doesn't have that big a presence. I think there's been multiple attempts to get a TV show of him, but they've all failed.

Edit: Digging into it a bit, apparently David Bowie's ex-wife tried to get a Black Widow/Daredevil show off the ground. Wat.

Vac1Vtf.jpg

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Because the Bats is cool and Daredevil is boring as shit?

There's just so much difference between them. DD is a niche character while Batman is an icon, one of the early great comic heroes who has dozens upon dozens of classic stories and iterations in all forms of media. DD has a couple of good stories at best.

When it comes down to it, people can relate to Batman more easily, most especially because hes the kind of hero they'd like to be. Sure hes got billions and is a genius but he's still just a man. DD on the other hand has mysterious origins stripping him of his sight but providing him with unimaginable awareness to his other senses.

Daredevil would be popular if they paired him with Wolverine or Spider-Man in a movie. Marvel can make any of their characters popular as long as Wolverine and Spider-Man are partnered with them.

Because the Bats is cool and Daredevil is boring as shit?

There's just so much difference between them. DD is a niche character while Batman is an icon, one of the early great comic heroes who has dozens upon dozens of classic stories and iterations in all forms of media. DD has a couple of good stories at best.

When it comes down to it, people can relate to Batman more easily, most especially because hes the kind of hero they'd like to be. Sure hes got billions and is a genius but he's still just a man. DD on the other hand has mysterious origins stripping him of his sight but providing him with unimaginable awareness to his other senses.

In no way is Bruce Wayne more relatable than Matt Murdock. More exciting? Ok. But I sure don't relate to his plight or struggles or inner demons more.

Marvel doesn't put DareDevil out there like DC has done with Batman, so it makes sense. DareDevil is pretty popular amongst people who read comics, or seems to be, but to the general public he's probably just a supporting character who Spider-Man happens to know.

Has Daredevil ever had a hit movie, cartoon, TV show or videogame? Has he ever had a big supporting role in any of the above? Has he been in a relevant or controversial comic book storyline since the 1990's? Can anyone name a Daredevil villain who wasn't in the first movie?

There's your answer.

ZiZ

Batman's stories seem more interesting to me, whether that's because of Batman's interesting antagonists, the rest of the bat family, or how batman deals with stuff (detective work, prep time, planning).

speaking of which, what is dare devil's main appeal? haven't read anything about him other than the a few crossover events. as far as I could tell, he was a blind acrobat with sonar.

Imm0rt4l

Batman dominates everything, I don't know why you'd even think daredevil should have the same amount of recognition.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
In no way is Bruce Wayne more relatable than Matt Murdock. More exciting? Ok. But I sure don't relate to his plight or struggles or inner demons more.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same way, but when you break it down to their core who is the average person going to connect with more? A man haunted by the past who uses his wealth and own perseverance and willpower to take justice into his own hands, or a blind guy with extraordinary senses cause by exposure to radioactive waste that is haunted by his past and takes justice into his own hands?

There's a reason Bats and Superman are the two biggest and well known heroes. One they are classic archetypes with nearly a century of existence, but also they're the epitome of what people would want to be if they were a super hero. One being truly super human while the other defies human limitations on his own.

shira

Opinions?

He's a blind lawyer. LOL?

Raguel

Those of you who thinks daredevil is boring dont know shit about the character. He is a better character than batman. And :lol at people who thinks batman is more relatable than daredevil. Go read some of frank Miller's stuff (the same guy that revamped batman to who he is today first did his magic on daredevil) along with brian michael bendis, ed brubakers, and mark waids sttuff. They are among the best stuff written

Alucrid

Banned
Those of you who thinks daredevil is boring dont know shit about the character. He is a better character than batman. And :lol at people who thinks batman is more relatable than daredevil. Go read some of frank Miller's stuff (the same guy that revamped batman to who he is today first did his magic on daredevil) along with brian michael bendis, ed brubakers, and mark waids sttuff. They are among the best stuff written

how many things has daredevil painted yellow?

This is a big factor. It's certainly part of the reason why Batman is so massively popular. He has the best rogue's gallery bar none.

Also, don't ignore the fact that Batman came from the Golden Age of comics and was one of the first superheroes. That's a huge lead over Daredevil. The only Marvel character from the Silver Age to achieve the Superman/Batman level of popularity is Spider-Man.

batman was already popular without frank miller

aku:jiki

I'm convinced that it's in large part due to the 60's series. That show is about as iconic as a TV show can get. You know you all had the theme song pop into your heads when you read this post.

Platy

Is the exact problem that every superhero that is not superman, spider-man and batman has.
MAYBE Hulk.

Didn't had enoght tv shows and movies.

Is there any daredevil comic where the villain looks at the yellow costume and say something along the lines of "a yellow fighting costume at NIGHT ? Are you blind or something ?" ? xD

Raguel

batman was already popular without frank miller
He was popular as a campy ass crazy man dressed in a bat suit thanks the adam west. Neal adams and dennis o'neal had to fix that shit because his popularity was shrinking and because no one took batman seriously anymore. Frank miller then came and made batman the dark knight.

Alucrid

Banned
Is the exact problem that every superhero that is not superman, spider-man and batman has.
MAYBE Hulk.

Didn't had enoght tv shows and movies.

Is there any daredevil comic where the villain looks at the yellow costume and say something along the lines of "a yellow fighting costume at NIGHT ? Are you blind or something ?" ? xD

you forgot iron man. maybe if he changed his name to dareman, devilman or daredevilman

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
I'm convinced that it's in large part due to the 60's series. That show is about as iconic as a TV show can get. You know you all had the theme song pop into your heads when you read this post.

Absolutely thats part of it. As a kid of the 80's Adam West Batman was in heavy rotation in reruns, and was one of the few things my Dad liked as much as me. Also had Super Friends reruns in the same time. Then Batman changed into The Dark Knight in the comics, and we got the Tim Burton movie, which was a phenomenon. After that we got one of the best cartoons of all time with TAS, which carries into the Justice League cartoons, and then Nolan bringing him back in rare form for the bug screen. No super hero has has the run of greatness outside of the comics like Batman. The character has just been the basis for iconic project after iconic project.

He was popular as a campy ass crazy man dressed in a bat suit thanks the adam west. Neal adams and dennis o'neal had to fix that shit because his popularity was shrinking and because no one took batman seriously anymore. Frank miller then came and made batman the dark knight.
...but he was already popular. and of course we have the burton film.

I didn't know who Daredevil was until I played Marvel Ultimate Alliance (which is actually a pretty nice game to play to learn about superheroes). I think if handled correctly Daredevil could become popular like most superheroes have the potential to do as well. It's just Marvel doesn't go out there way to do so like DC does with their cartoons, movies, and toys for the superhero they're working with to become popular.

I personally want to see more of Plastic Man, the dude is hilarious and has a fun superpower.

Batman just dominates the media by comparison.

Toys, cartoons, movies, like 1,000 different bat-books etc

This mostly.

Azuran

Banned
Because Stan and friends didn't know how to write Daredevil until Frank Miller came around, but it was too late by then. Daredevil could have been huge like Spidey, Fantastic Four, and X-Men if they knew what to do with him. Daredevil is the best superhero when you have the right writers and artist for him.

Also, the fact that he used to have the worst rogue gallery in comics also didn't help. Stilt-Man, that is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom