• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On the fence about buying a PS Vita? Just get a PSP.

SpotAnime

After the Vita price drop, I was seriously considering buying one, but then had difficulty finding more than one or two games I would want to buy immediately for the handheld.

But after looking at the PSP game library (and somewhat inspired by this Tri-Ace memorial thread, I found a lot of quality titles available for the platform, many of which are still UMD-only (especially looking at you, Crisis Core), and could be had for less than $20 each.

Disclosure, I had a PSP several years ago but traded it in, along with all of my games.

So I decided to buy a PSP-300 for $100 and stocked up on 11 titles for around $140 total:

• FFVII: Crisis Core
  • Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
  • Lunar
  • Patapon 2
  • Persona
  • Persona 2
  • Riviera
  • Star Ocean First Departure
  • Star Ocean Second Evolution
  • Tales of the World
  • Valkyrie Profile Lenneth

That's $240 for a handheld with a great library of games, along with access to the PSN catalog (and all the PSOne titles I've already purchased for the PS3). I would have spent $200 for the Vita and another $60 on a memory card, with maybe a pack-in game and a couple of PS+ titles, and would have already overspent what I did on the PSP.

Maybe the PS4 will change the conversation for the Vita, but right now Sony has another handheld still on store shelves that's a much better value proposition.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Sony should really get onto including some PSP titles for free each month in PS+. Not sure why they havent really since theyre damn good Vita library fillers.

Skeff

I think Sony needs to push some PSP titles into the digital era, crisis core in particular. But I also think they should be in PS+ as well, would be great.

KAL2006

Banned
Terrible Move, besides Kingdom Hearts and Crisis Core (that's operated by the way) you can get most game digitally on Vita. Not only do PSP games look way better on the OLED screen, you have access to Vita games and full remote play if you get a PS4. If you also plant to get PSN+ you are also missing out on free Vita games. You can get a Vita really cheap used.

ascii42

Sony should really get onto including some PSP titles for free each month in PS+. Not sure why they havent really since theyre damn good Vita library fillers.

PS+ has given several PSP games. Most have been fighting games, but they also gave Mega Man X.

Came into the thread with a "lol, no" mentality, but I agree, the PSP has a fantastic library. Vita has a lot of great stuff too though, the "Vita haz no game" thing doesn't apply anymore.

JoeFenix

One thing that I love about the Vita is that PSP games run and control better on it.

MegaMan X and Killzone both run at 60fps on Vita with no dips while they have some pretty major framerate issues on PSP.

It's a shame that the entire library isn't available on PSN. PSP is definitely cheaper and obviously has the advantage of being able to play every game ever released for it.

Dinda

God i had a PSP for so long, but only when i did get a vita i really started to play all those psp and psone games. It's a night and day difference. Even for the PSP games.

BigDug13

After the Vita price drop, I was seriously considering buying one, but then had difficulty finding more than one or two games I would want to buy immediately for the handheld.

But after looking at the PSP game library (and somewhat inspired by this Tri-Ace memorial thread, I found a lot of quality titles available for the platform, many of which are still UMD-only (especially looking at you, Crisis Core), and could be had for less than $20 each.

Disclosure, I had a PSP several years ago but traded it in, along with all of my games.

So I decided to buy a PSP-300 for $100 and stocked up on 11 titles for around $140 total:

• Lunar
  • Patapon 2
  • Persona
  • Persona 2
  • Riviera
  • Tales of the World

That's $240 for a handheld with a great library of games, along with access to the PSN catalog (and all the PSOne titles I've already purchased for the PS3). I would have spent $200 for the Vita and another $60 on a memory card, with maybe a pack-in game and a couple of PS+ titles, and would have already overspent what I did on the PSP.

Maybe the PS4 will change the conversation for the Vita, but right now Sony has another handheld still on store shelves that's a much better value proposition.

You're right for the most part. PS1 purchases and PSP purchases playable on both Vita and PSP, but only PSP has access to a huge catalog of dirt-cheap used UMD's that are floating out there.

PS4 will change the conversation as more indie devs release "crossbuy" games and PS4 owners suddenly see a huge Vita library that they now own even without having a Vita. Kinda pushes them more in the Vita direction than the PSP direction.

Also without the second analog stick and touch screens, the PSP's capability as a remote play device is significantly handicapped.

orioto

Good Art™
By this logic any platform ever, in its first years, is a bad investment compared to its older sister you know...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They already give PSP games on PS+ for free, theres like a new PSP fighting game for free on plus every month.

Also the $199 for the Vita isn't just the barebones one. Walk into any Gamestop or Best Buy and you'll still find the Vita's with 1 year of PS+ and a memory card or the Vita with a memory card and Walking Dead and those are $199 as well.

• Lunar
  • Patapon 2
  • Persona
  • Persona 2
  • Riviera
  • Tales of the World

Eh, I have both already, but I play way more in my Vita. That Plus offers...Not mention that I buy some of the PSP games that I missed.

My PSP is collecting dust cause I cannot connect to our Wlan due to WPA2 AES. And no, putting down the security is not an option.

UMD-PSP is beyond awesome. I've got well over 100 games on mine (3000 & E1000)

Imma let you finish but even as a HUGE PSP fan I must say the UMD is fuckin horrible. Rip that shit onto the mem card even if you use UMD model. Even better if you are a Gobro.

As a model the UMD ones are good but I have grown fond of GO nowdays :3.

Empty

it's good value and there's umd only games missing (like crisis core and kh:bbs, which you list) but i do feel like the vita is a wonderful way to play psp games. i've rediscovered the platform thanks to the ease of having them easily accessible on a system i use regularly, improved battery life, great d-pad, beautiful screen and ability to remap controls.

one of my favourite things about the vita is not just its exclusives but that it's a great way to play vita, ps1, psp, ps mobile and ps mins.

BigDug13

Honestly think this is awful advice, almost all of the best psp games are playable on vita anyways.

But not for dirt cheap. Example, Persona 3 on PSN is $20. That same game is on Amazon as a UMD disc for $7 in the NEW section, this isn't even USED!

Then there's the games not available on PSN but still exist as UMD's. PSP is a better budget machine to play PSP games because digital game prices do not drop fast enough.

(But I personally find the Vita to be a better purchase overall due to the other things it can do.)

SpotAnime

Actually they have been and people complain about it.

OP, How did you forget about Jeanne D'Arc?

Oh, I didn't - those are just the games I bought along with the PSP. Jeanne D'Arc is on my wishlist, along with FFT, Tactics Ogre, Lumines II, the Wipeout games, Mega Man, Valkyrie Profile, Castlevania and many more.

The PSP is an amazing system, but a pretty sizable chunk of it's games are available on the Vita. And not only that, they look and play better on the Vita too. So unless you really want to play Kingdom Hearts or something, then just buying a Vita is just a way better idea.

shandy706

Oh, I didn't - those are just the games I bought along with the PSP. Jeanne D'Arc is on my wishlist, along with FFT, Tactics Ogre, Lumines II, the Wipeout games, Mega Man, Valkyrie Profile, Castlevania and many more.

LOL.....your icon/avatar cracks me up. Where is it from?

That's like ordering a shandy when you wanted a vodka.

If you wanted the vodka, you would have bought it already. So maybe you don't actually want the vodka.

The PSP is an amazing system, but a pretty sizable chunk of it's games are available on the Vita. And not only that, they look and play better on the Vita too. So unless you really want to play Kingdom Hearts or something, then just buying a Vita is just a way better idea.

Unless money's a thing, I don't know anybody who cares about frugally gaming but there might be one person in the world who cares.

Imma let you finish but even as a HUGE PSP fan I must say the UMD is fuckin horrible. Rip that shit onto the mem card even if you use UMD model. Even better if you are a Gobro.

As a model the UMD ones are good but I have grown fond of GO nowdays :3.

Of course I do. I have the UMD PSP consoles precisely so that I can also play them on my computer, & my mobile when I don't have a backpack.

Before I got CFW working on my 3000, I played Ark of Naphitism off of the umd

one of the worst gaming experiences in my life

Vita for the home use, PSPGO as a portable.

#whynotboth

Grief.exe

Terrible Move, besides Kingdom Hearts and Crisis Core (that's operated by the way) you can get most game digitally on Vita. Not only do PSP games look way better on the OLED screen, you have access to Vita games and full remote play if you get a PS4. If you also plant to get PSN+ you are also missing out on free Vita games. You can get a Vita really cheap used.

Does it just upscale the games? Or do they increase the rendering resolution?

Vita for the home use, PSPGO as a portable.

#whynotboth

A PSPGO with custom firmware on it so you can play ripped UMD games is also an extremely good way to go. The GO is easily the best PSP revision. The problem with that is you need a non-GO PSP with a UMD drive to get your games off the disks. Once you have everything loaded up though the GO is a beast of a portable.

Top Bottom