• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

So, Microsoft has put up another page on Xbox.com promoting the Xbone as they do.

What's interesting is the small print right at the bottom, specifically point six:

Xbox voice commands will not be available in all markets on the product release date. Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE.

Excuse me while I state the obvious, but I'm fairly sure that's not all of the 13 countries that the Xbone is launching in.

I think that's formal confirmation that Kinect localisation issues is not the reason why Microsoft delayed the console in eight countries a couple of weeks ago.

[Credit to limaCAT over on Something Awful for the find]

----

Mod Edit:

Clarification:

1KlcMyB.gif

(thanks Garrett 2U)

First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Turns out the answer to this question is… complicated. It’s been an education for me as I’ve been looking into it.

There is no way that I could do justice to it in a post, so the marketing team is working on a chart that gives clarity on what locales, languages, and voice features are available in each country. Trying to write it down would be confusing. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation, but just to give clarity:

In November
- We will launch in 13 geos
- 10 of those geos will support some voice features
- We support 8 languages

The 8 Languages at Launch are:
1) English – US
2) English – GB (WW)
3) French
4) Spanish – MX
5) Spanish – ES
6) Italian
7) German
8) Portuguese

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

BigDug13 – the FAQ is correct, for launch. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.

[Delusi's note: 10 is still less than 13. Bonus mockery shall be delivered if the missing three geos turns out to be Ireland, Australia and New Zealand. This whole mess does raise the question: what happened to the voice recognition library used in the first Kinect?]

Ushae

Banned
So English, French and German.

What's the issue with the other regions, we'll something a little more official than this OP.

MS may be struggling with the ozzies; " XBAWKS TEERNNN OWNNNNN YE BAAARSTAD! "

gruenel

Doesn't that directly contradict their previous statement where they said they delayed the console in many EU countries because the speech recognition isn't ready?

Nibel

The 180 destroyed all their scheduling it seems

I would love to know if they could have supported more countries with consoles and voice recognition if they'd sticked to the original plan

So English, French and German.

What's the issue with the other regions, we'll something a little more official than this OP.

No Italian despite launching in Italy, nor any Spanish, despite launching in Spain. Or Portuguese, despite launching in Brazil. Plus the whole "omitting Australia and Ireland despite both speaking English" thing again.

sono

its good that UK is there, but in the UK does it understand we say pavement not sidewalk

;-)

Skeff

its good that UK is there, but in the UK does it understand we say pavement not sidewalk

;-)

don't worry, we'll be getting English-US voice recognition and it won't work with regional accents such as Yorkshire, Geordie and Scottish.

Majine

Banned
Why can't game companies actually make sure it's software is done when they push it out the door? I hate that, same with the 3DS with no e-shop, same with Wii U with no TVii etc.

what if I, in Italy, speak English? does it recognize me?

I would imagine if you set your store to Italy, Kinect voice commands will simply not work. Of course, you can get round that by setting the store to the UK or something, but it'll be a bit of a pain in the arse if you want to buy something from there, because of Pound Sterling.

Top Bottom