• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABC: Nintendo releasing "2 Dees". Plays same games as "3 Dees". Cuts price of "Wii"

Dees?
Bees!
gifstache.com_893_1342731571.gif

Hehe

6FhYXFO.jpg

D-e-f-

Banned
That newscaster and/or script writer has to actively be trolling at this point. Getting BOTH names so wrong and not even remotely getting facts right from a press release that has it all right there is just sheer incompetence.

Kunan

How in the world is this level of ineptitude Nintendo's fault. They didn't even try.

They somehow can understand 5, 5C and 5S without issue, cause they care enough to actually put an ounce of effort in lol

Sulik2

Ehh while I agree their branding is confusing, calling it the "Dees" isn't on Nintendo.

Saying the 2DS has worse graphics is REALLY not on Nintendo. They just made that up out of whole cloth.

True, but still the 2DS is a dumb name. The Wii/Wii U table upgrade thing has been going on for close to two years now. A simple name changed would have solved that entire confusion.

RagnarokX

Well, the name really isn't a big problem... for literate people, or at least it shouldn't be. I'd say the real problem or bigger problem is the information distribution channels. The same consumers who get confused by Wii U are the same that wouldn't know a new Playstation was coming out. The media is paid to be informed but they can't even get 2DS right after the DS brand has been on the market for 9 years. These information channels are closed off to Nintendo because of the incompetence of the press and actively causing harm that Nintendo has to fight against, Nintendo has to tell consumers themselves that Wii U is a new console and counteract incompetent press.

Wii 2 would have done this job for them and is probably the name they should have gone with, but they wouldn't need it so much if the press would pull their heads from their asses.

I can see the Wii U being confused with the Wii by a lot of consumers, which was always going to happen with the names being so similar.

But the whole point of that video is that it's supposed to be a tech show. If they can't be bothered to do any research and can't even read a press release properly then you can't really blame Nintendo for that.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does this video exist rehosted anywhere? Doesn't play here in Sweden, it seems like. I want to see/hear this trainwreck for myself!

NPR yesterday ran a news story talking about Nintendo releasing a 2D version of their successful 3ds and that amidst slow sales Nintendo has dropped the price of their "Wii" console to $299.

Its not just ABC that has gotten confused from Nintendo's poor marketing and odd naming structure. A lot of mainstream press has had a difficult time with it.

Yeah, but these seem like second hand reporting. Nintendo has press releases to avoid all this confusion with the media. They just don't bother to get those.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Nintendo needs to fucking fire whatever marketing team is coming up with the names for their hardware.

they like being cute by adding or changing a single letter for every iteration and every generational shift, so no wonder people get confused between the two.

Jonm1010

Banned
Yeah, but these seem like second hand reporting. Nintendo has press releases to avoid all this confusion with the media. They just don't bother to get those.
I'm just speaking to the fact that there is obviously some brand confusion going on in the media and likely with consumers. It's not Nintendo's main problem but it is a problem and speaks to a larger issue of overall poor marketing by Nintendo with the wiiU.

TriGen

This reminds me of a British newspaper (don't remember which one) wrote about N64 back in the day: "It's Super Nintendo 64, plays all Super Nintendo games but 64 times faster and better"

That's great. There was actually even more confusion in the old days because people were less informed on video games. It's still funny though.

It's pretty useless reporting if you can't even bother to read a press release. That isn't Nintendo's fault, that's the mainstream media being shitty's fault.

I'm just speaking to the fact that there is obviously some brand confusion going on in the media and likely with consumers. It's not Nintendo's main problem but it is a problem and speaks to a larger issue of overall poor marketing by Nintendo with the wiiU.

The 3DS and Wii U I can understand since those are completely new systems from the DS and Wii. The whole 2DS "name confusion," however, is not a new system. The 2DS will play all DS and 3DS games just fine. The only difference will be it doesn't have 3D mode and it's cheaper with no clamshell design.

It would be an issue if it was a new system. Even if people somehow think that, they can always ask for a regular 3DS or an XL and it wouldn't change a thing.

tebunker

Banned
This is more of an ABC problem not a NOA problem, just watched a CNBC video with Reggie on Yahoo and no one screwed that up. Reggie is the classic corporate guy though always making it positive

I really hope that Nintendo has learned after the Wii U and 3DS era is over. Pick a brand name for your consoles and handhelds and add numbers after the name, not letters with esoteric meanings. Then again, they are launching a 2DS.

Rename Wii U to Wii 2
Rename 3DS to Super DS with 3D
Rename 2DS to Super DS Jr.
Discontinue Wii and DSi if they haven't yet.

I think time has established that game console names have to have the number come after the last, or the adjective come first.

Top Bottom