• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.0 officially announced: 18Gbps bandwidth, 60fps 4K, 32 channel audio

mocoworm

So this just got announced. What are the chances that the next run / iteration of XONE and PS4 will include this in their spec ?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/hdmi-2-0-official-4k-60fps-32-channel-audio/

"Only just after it leaked out, the folks at HDMI Licensing are announcing HDMI 2.0 officially. Arriving just in time for the wide rollout of a new generation of Ultra HDTVs, it adds a few key capabilities to the connection standard. With a bandwidth capacity of up to 18Gbps, it has enough room to carry 3,840 x 2,160 resolution video at up to 60fps. It also has support for up to 32 audio channels, "dynamic auto lipsync" and additional CEC extensions.

The connector itself is unchanged, which is good for backwards compatibility but may disappoint anyone hoping for something sturdier to support all of those suddenly-popular dongles. The cables won't change either, as the group claims current high-speed Category 2 wires can handle the increased bandwidth.

Some companies have suggested upgrade paths for their UHDTVs already on the market -- hopefully we'll find out more about those plans this week at IFA 2013."

antonz

If the connectors are the same and the cable is the same it seems whatever firmwares etc wouldnt simply need changed.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Can you stick it in both ways? 'Cuz that's what I care about.

Jawmuncher

I don't feel ill miss anything. Besides the consoles are going to have revisions that support it later on more than likely.

knitoe

Even if the X1/PS4 did include, it would be pointless because they are to weak to power highend graphics at 4K@60fps. Maybe, something like geometry wars 3, but definitely not Forza.

Robin64

The "dynamic auto lipsync" bit intrigues me more than larger numbers. Want to see more info on that.

DieH@rd

Banned
This was a long time coming...

Hopefully this means that 1080p120 and 1440p120 will finally be supported by HDMI.

antonz

This console generation is supposed to be 10 years long. That's like saying 'do people actually care about HDTV' when the 360 / PS3 was launching. In 5-6 years 4k will be the norm.

Wher did you get this info? Both Sony and MS have stated the lengthened generation was a problem and something they dont aim to repeat. 10 year is pr speak

1080P isnt even the standard for media let alone any dream of 4k

seanoff

4k programming takes enormous room. It will be a while before it's feasible to buy or download that programming.

And who is going to use 32 channels of audio. I mean really. Audio engineers spend their careers mixing down that many discrete sources to a more managable stereo or for movies 7.2.

I can see the need for 4k, but 32 channels of audio?...

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Why care for 4k when games aren't even 1080p yet

Finaika

And who is going to use 32 channels of audio. I mean really. Audio engineers spend their careers mixing down that many discrete sources to a more managable stereo or for movies 7.2.

I can see the need for 4k, but 32 channels of audio?...

Yeah. Imagine having a room with 32 separate speakers lol.

mocoworm

Wher did you get this info? Both Sony and MS have stated the lengthened generation was a problem and something they dont aim to repeat. 10 year is pr speak

I don't know what 'statements' you are reading:

YOSHIDA EXPECTS TEN YEARS OF PS4
'A key executive at Sony Computer Entertainment has pledged a decade of support for PlayStation 4 and expects the new console's lifespan will be as long as its predecessors.'
These consoles will be supported for 10 years. SONY

Sony to support PS4 for 10-years
http://www.vg247.com/2013/06/12/sony-to-support-ps4-for-10-years-always-wanted-to-hit-the-399-price-point/

Xbox One is designed to be always-on for 10 years
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-why-xbox-one-is-cool-and-quiet

The Projected Life Span Of Xbox One: Expected To Be Ten Years
http://webmuch.com/the-projected-life-span-of-xbox-one-expected-to-be-ten-years-after-a-long-testing-process/

1080P isnt even the standard for media let alone any dream of 4k

720p wasn't even the standard for media whan 360 and PS3 launched let alone any dream of 1080p. Should we have not put in futureproofing for 1080p ?

We will be using 4k within the next 10 years. To think we won't is foolish. Definitely for movies, media and PC gaming at least.

Looks like its a bit slower than Thunderbolt 2.0, but it's still relatively fast!

The main question is that do next gen consoles support it or not!

Is it hardware upgrade or a software upgrade?

720p wasn't even the standard for media whan 360 and PS3 launched let alone any dream of 1080p

But the software on them did run at 720p and 1080p. These coming consoles won't be able to running anything that isn't recorded media at 4k outside of maybe their OS and menus.

We will be using 4k within the next 10 years. To think we won't is foolish.

Sure you'll be using it but you most certainly won't be playing games on consoles at those resolutions.

Kinan

With a 40" TV, there's even a benefit in 4k?

I don't really see the need of this resolution yet.

900x900px-LL-4cd4431b_200ppdengleski.png

Card Boy

Banned
I'm struggling how 4K is relevant at this stage or in the next 10 years. We still haven't perfect 1080P in all mediums yet.

• TV broadcasters mostly transmit in 576 and have multiple channels in their allocated spectrum, they would rather have more channels than have a single good quality one.
  • People are still buying 480p/576 resolution DVDs by the droves.
  • Console games are barely 720P
  • I don't know of any websites that have 4K videos

I can only see 4K being used as a replacement for lower budget films.

You can still do 4k with the current HDMI standard it just won't be at 60hz. So a better question would be what content do you expect to exist at 4k and 60hz that you so desperately want the new consoles to show you.

DisplayPort is the VESA standard that is very common on PCs and Macs (it is the video part of Thunderbolt).
It is hardly common on consumer PCs. No one outside of ATI/AMD supported it until recent years. Most consumer monitors don't even have a DP port unless they are in the $300 dollar range or more.

tensuke

I'm just saying, I saw a 4K TV a couple of days ago...It is way better than current 1080p sets. The price is way too high atm, but, in a couple of years I can see it start being more viable. The quality and fidelity is worth the upgrade.

mocoworm

I'm just saying, I saw a 4K TV a couple of days ago...It is way better than current 1080p sets. The price is way too high atm, but, in a couple of years I can see it start being more viable. The quality and fidelity is worth the upgrade.

Exactly like HDTV's 7 years ago. I saw a 42" plasma that was like £13k. Cut to today ... £400

EvB

You can still do 4k with the current HDMI standard it just won't be at 60hz. So a better question would be what content do you expect to exist at 4k and 60hz that you so desperately want the new consoles to show you.

It is hardly common on consumer PCs. No one outside of ATI/AMD supported it until recent years. Most consumer monitors don't even have a DP port unless they are in the $300 dollar range or more.

4k 60hz in consumer products is only going to used in enthusiast PC gaming. As there isn't a disc based storage medium out there that can hold a 4k 3D then that won't be anything except an enthusiast format either

Top Bottom