• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fighting Games are Fast? Hyper Turbo thread.

Metalmarc

What i miss from my fighting games, was back when Street Fighter Turbo and Hyper came out and they cranked up the speed, there was something about that speed and chaos that added to fighters in my mind, and ever since as much as i loved some fighting games that came afterwards the ones i did play like Tekken & Soulcalibur although good they just seemed so slow to the point where i lost interest in the genre a bit.

Some people say Mortal Kombat 9 is fast, but to me, it still not quick enough, if only they had a run button or a speed up cheat it'd be perfect imo.

So what Beat Em ups are the fastest in your opinion gaf of all time and maybe i can find a few i may have missed out on.

StreetFighter 2 Turbo
Street Fighter Hyper
Mortal Kombat 3 (because it had the run button, did trilogy have the run button i only played it once or twice)
Mortal Kombat 4 ( im sure the PC version was fast, at least it was back in the day when I played it on a friends PC unless he had a cheat on or something)
Marvel VS Capcom 3 (and ultimate) - it's so chaotic and i love it for that reason

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't think there's ever been a fighting game that's as fast as SFII Turbo when it's cranked all the way

Vampire Savior is pretty dang fast.

Yeah, it doesn't even have traditional rounds. Once a fighter loses their life bar, they just get back up, get a new life bar, and start fighting again.

Jarlaxle

New Killer Instinct especially in the latest build

This.

It seems like I'm the only person in the world that likes my fighting games a little slower. I'd rather have the time to think about what my opponent is going to do and counter it or plan out an attack. I like the strategic thinking that comes with a fighter when it feels slower. When it's super fast, I just don't have the reaction time to do what I want and it just winds up getting crazy and inevitably I'm spamming a special or any button with the hopes that it connects.

ScOULaris

Vampire Savior is definitely SSF2: Turbo levels of quickness. It's so fast that the beautiful animation, unfortunately, flies by too quickly to appreciate.

But if it's speed your after, can't go wrong with Vampire Savior.

El Sloth

Banned
Check out Darkstalkers Resurrection on XBLA or PSN to play Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) or Night Warrior. Vsav is a lot faster though.

Third Strike is a pretty fast game. Well, for the most part.

I don't know what everyone else means by fast. But I don't think Divekick can win in that category. In terms of action frequency/ APM, it's not high on any list.

I was mostly joking, but make no mistake, Divekick is fucking fast. Both players just fly all over the screen and matches can be over any second. APM wouldn't really be a fair statistic as Divekick doesn't work with combos and such.

Metalmarc

Check out Darkstalkers Resurrection on XBLA or PSN to play Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) or Night Warrior. Vsav is a lot faster though.

Third Strike is a pretty fast game. Well, for the most part.

And its on sale on the psn store right now bought
thanks to everyone who reccomeded vsav/darkstalkers

Kokonoe

Banned
Get Dragon Ball Z Tenkaichi 3. It's on Wii and PS2.

ijbtVKMz6xtfq.gif

Tizoc

Darkstalkers 3 is perhaps the fastest fighting game I know of.
3S can be fast depending on characters being played =P

PirateKing

SNK vs Capcom 2 is probably the fastest fighting game I've played. It's not all about movement fast but rather the executions-and-thinking-of-what-you-need-to-do-next fast

This so much, love BB but especially after CS came out the game became a total snorefest with extremely easy execution and way too long combos

Well everyone has a different opinion and I respect that but as someone who plays BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend daily lately (sometimes also with Unlimited Characters) I have to disagree :/ I admit that it really depends on the characters though, playing with Unlimited Makoto vs Unlimited Hazama is blazing fast :(

FSLink

Banned
Well everyone has a different opinion and I respect that but as someone who plays BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend daily lately (sometimes also with Unlimited Characters) I have to disagree :/ I admit that it really depends on the characters though, playing with Unlimited Makoto vs Unlimited Hazama is blazing fast :(
Unlimited characters isn't a fair comparison, normal BB play is definitely slower to other fighting games as much as I enjoy it.

T.O.P

Banned

Never touched an Unlimited character so can't talk about that, but as the normal game goes it felt always really slow to me

Unlimited characters isn't a fair comparison, normal BB play is definitely slower to other fighting games as much as I enjoy it.

That's true though I have to say the whole Unlimited Characters are a thing for itself. I know they are forbidden on tournaments from what I know but to rule them out entirely means neglecting a entire aspect of the game aswell so people who seek just fast(er) fighting game might be happy with BB when playing with them :) (And yeah there are still plenty of faster games out there I just wanted to point out that BB isn't always slow)

Vampire Savior, which kinda sucks since the great animation and art sort of gets lost in the speed.

This is super true. I love 2D sprite animation and VSav has such fantastic work. But when playing live it all just looks kinda like a blur to me. To fast to really see all of the detail and when so many normals are being canceled they look even quicker.

FSLink

Banned
That's true though I have to say the whole Unlimited Characters are a thing for itself. I know they are forbidden on tournaments from what I know but to rule them out entirely means neglecting a entire aspect of the game aswell so people who seek just fast(er) fighting game might be happy with BB when playing with them :) (And yeah there are still plenty of faster games out there I just wanted to point out that BB isn't always slow)
There's been Unlimited tourneys before. But I really don't count characters that have little balancing, and the fact that you have to grind a bit or purchase unlock keys as DLC to unlock them part of the actual game, as fun as they can be. Since anybody looking for a fast fighter would have to go through the slower gameplay first to unlock them.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MvC requires you to make decisions at such a fast pace that it turns off people from nearly every other community who cast it off as "random" because they can't keep up despite parable and at times even more cases of consistency in tournament settings.

There's been Unlimited tourneys before. But I really don't count characters that have little balancing, and the fact that you have to grind a bit or purchase unlock keys as DLC to unlock them part of the actual game, as fun as they can be. Since anybody looking for a fast fighter would have to go through the slower gameplay first to unlock them.

Oh that's interesting I didn't know about these tourneys :eek: And with the last part you are right it took about half a day of local multiplayer matches to unlock them.

KoF13 definitely.
Anime fighters in general are fast (Guilty Gear, Persona, BlazBlue, Melty Blood).

I used to crank that thing up to 10 too. It made playing in the arcade seem so slow and easier to react to.

collige

Banned
Just echoing what other people have said:
Melee/ Project M/Brawl-
MvC2
DOA feels a lot faster than Tekken/SC/other 3D fighters to me, but nothing crazy

Sega Genesis Street Fighter II: Special Championship Edition on 10 stars. A little faster than Street Fighter II Turbo on SNES at 10 stars.

Korigama

Guilty Gear and BlazBlue are both fairly fast. I'd assume Persona 4 Arena would be the same as well.
Guilty Gear and P4A, yes. BB, less so, at least before Chrono Phantasma.

As with MvC3/UMvC3, the same is the case with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. KoF XIII is also reasonably fast.

Top Bottom