• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*Spoiler* Grand Theft Auto V map leaked *Spoiler*

Jac_Solar

Hm, the shallow areas in the water around the coastline of the landmass makes it seem like only those areas are explorable, while the regular colored water isn't - ie, the shallow water is separated by the rest of the ocean by an invisible wall, or perhaps the shallow water marks the only underwater content.

Gangxxter

This is the correct scale:

1uYcYu5.jpg

R* didn't lie: bigger than SA, IV and RDR combined with room to spare.

Ishida

Banned
Seeing all that wilderness makes me wonder: Has it been confirmed any way you can take and export screenshots in this game? I would be great to go around taking pictures of the scenery.

BraXzy

I don't understand the map comparisons, the scale seems really off. The airport on the SA map is like 3 times as small as GTA V's and same goes for roads. Surely that's not right?

Now that looks way more believable. Thanks for posting.

If it's good it's good, but they have put all their eggs in one basket imo.

Gadirok

I'd take a medium sized city, towns and wilderness over GTA IV booring liberty city any time of the day

My problem with GTA 4 was that the atmosphere felt terrible. I think it might have been the games lighting but compared to other open world games this gen, the artstyle and skies in GTA 4 look straight up ugly.

I agree that yes, anything is better than GTAIV, but still. I'm just wondering, what the hell will I be able to do in all that open space?

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.
Take pictures? Okay? I don't really see why I would play a video game to do that
BASE jump? Cool for like, five minutes
Hunt animals? Also cool for like, five minutes

I'm not trying to be cynical, and yes I will reserve judgment until I play the game. I'm just curious. That's all.

Gadirok

That image is known to be total BS.

Though Fuel is fucking huge.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of Fuse, but I'm all for ridiculously large open worlds to explore.

Reading the wiki, it doesn't seem to have gotten much critical praise, but it makes me all the more excited for Mad Max by Avalanche.

I agree that yes, anything is better than GTAIV, but still. I'm just wondering, what the hell will I be able to do in all that open space?

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.
Take pictures? Okay? I don't really see why I would play a video game to do that

I'm not trying to be cynical, and yes I will reserve judgment until I play the game. I'm just curious. That's all.

Well we don't know everything thats there to do, but I personally take time to go through these kind of games.

Like I'll spend an hour or two each day playing games like Red Dead Redemption, Just Cause 2, or Starhawk and run off and go in a random direction for a few minutes then stop and stare at a random tree or other object in the middle of nowhere and close up on it. It may sound boring to others and about as exciting as watching paint dry, but I get hyped up for this kind of stuff simply because I can do whatever I want. No limits.

Gangxxter

Seeing all that wilderness makes me wonder: Has it been confirmed any way you can take and export screenshots in this game? I would be great to go around taking pictures of the scenery.
There will be a feature to share your pics taken with your ingame phone on R* SocialClub platform. Not sure about videos though.

MCN

Banned

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.

Playing video games? Cool for like, five minutes. If you're going to be that cynical, might as well give up gaming forever.

Ishida

Banned
There will be a feature to share your pics taken with your ingame phone on R* SocialClub platform. Not sure about videos though.

Great! Do you know if we'll be able to export the screenshots to the console's Hard Drive or something? I loved this feature so much on Metal Gear Solid 4, it would be awesome to just go full photographer mode and keeping the pics!

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.

Oh really now?

Gangxxter

Great! Do you know if we'll be able to export the screenshots to the console's Hard Drive or something? I loved this feature so much on Metal Gear Solid 4, it would be awesome to just go full photographer mode and keeping the pics!
I don't know. Worst case scenario would be that you have to re-download the pics from the SocialClub.

Gadirok

Playing video games? Cool for like, five minutes. If you're going to be that cynical, might as well give up gaming forever.

No need to come off that direct. Hes probably more interested in other things such as the campaign or storytelling. It seems to be a step above GTA IV atleast.

LegoArmo

GTA IV: Ugh, it's all city, where's the desert? The mountains? The countryside?

GTA V: Ugh, it's all desert, mountains and countryside!

UrbanRats

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.

Lol, you could do that fgor any game.

Saints Row 4:
Jump on buildings? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Vanquish:
Slide and shoot? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Virtua Fighter:
Punch dudes? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Gorillaz

I don't think zero is cynical I mean that is a little offputing seeing 2/3rds of the map is wildlife and the game is based off of LA.

Like lets be real for a min....but well see on tuesday tho

Ride a dirk bike? Cool.

I'm with you. That's why I never understood that "just be creative" comments. It's not the player lacking creativity in terms of experimenting with tools in the sandbox, it's purely lacking anything interesting in that space. Often the side events like golf, base jumping (and hunting) are real after thoughts. Rockstar's efforts are largely going to be on the action, not the world building. If this were a Bethesda game I'd be pumped because I know out there I'll find cool quests and stories and loot. In GTA V I'm not sure I'll be rewarded for spending any time there at all.

Lest we forget that when you die out there you're going back to the nearest city hospital probably.

Lol, you could do that fgor any game.

Saints Row 4:
Jump on buildings? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Vanquish:
Slide and shoot? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Virtua Fighter:
Punch dudes? Cool, for like 5 minutes.

Well obviously it's all relative. I'm not speaking for anyone but myself.

GAF be actin' cray
Boom! fareal

I don't remember Nightfall being that massive. I recall playing through it and it was fairly large. I just don't recall it being that large.

and JC2 isin't as boring as people make it out to be. I view it as a benchmark. Given the amount of ways you can travel its all the more fun and worthwhile to go through.

The best part is when I take a plane and go outside of the map, it becames an endless ocean and I got so far away from the island that it would have taken me 10 minutes to get back to the island on boat. Had to call in the black-market to extract me back to the island. Yes, its large but its beautifully crafted.

You're preaching to the choir, I loved JC2's size, I must have spend around 50 hours just roaming around. Still, there we're some forest areas that where really really boring and empty.

Also yes, giving the player a fast, involved and fun way to travel in grapple/glider 'slingshotting' really alleviates most of JC2's scope issues. GTA doesn't have this, which makes me worry about the size of that wildernness.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm disappointed that them remaking San Andreas(?) had them drop the second city and make it more wilderness on an "island" with less rural towns (or slightly more in the fact they blew up area per square "mile").

I'm sure instead of taking a day to cross town in Liberty City's 4 version it'll take a year to cross the "country" in 5 in the taxi. :/

UrbanRats

I'm disappointed that them remaking San Andreas(?) had them drop the second city and make it more wilderness on an "island" with less rural towns (or slightly more in the fact they blew up area per square "mile").

I'm sure instead of taking a day to cross town in Liberty City's 4 version it'll take a year to cross the "country" in 5 in the taxi. :/

Ehm you could and can skip the taxi ride and get to the destination instantly.

Ploid 3.0

Dang, ok I'm impressed by the size. Here's hoping that the game is GTA:SA Fun (Fun stuff to do, and random crap happening atvRampPlaneCrash.gif), and controls well, at least on foot man!

sfedai0

Banned
The hypetrain may be affecting my judgement, but Ive been burned by all previous GTA's, as far as staying interested, Hope this really takes a new direction in open world genre.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Ehm you could and can skip the taxi ride and get to the destination instantly.

WHOOSH. The point is, Rockstar touted that you would take a day to go cross-town. While, yes, I abused the ever living fuck out of the taxi-ride skip to get Liberty City Minute on 360, my point is: San Andreas was fun going between 3 cities with rural areas intersparsed. 5's SA is just LA and... a bunch of wilderness with an airport WAY out in the country and maybe a small rural town with a few rural zones in between according to that map.

Hence: Disappointment.

Top Bottom