• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman vs Superman: World's Finest Three-Year Wait

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if there was a Super Bowl ad, we'd have found out a couple days ago.

I also don't think the "attached to movie X" thing even really matters like it used to now that YouTube gets trailers seen way more than theatrical exhibition.

So I guess we reset the clock for March/April? That would put it about a year out, which seems about when you'd want to release a teaser trailer for a huge bet from a studio.

Penguin

at this point I doubt we'll see the trailer.

Seems like WB don't want to start the hype a year before. which is kinda of a shame really. WB already lost all the momentum they had built up last year hyping movie (BvS announcement, Batfleck awesome batsuit reveal ---> WW reveal--> Batmobile---BvS teaser ---> radio silence) I guess the delay missed with all of that.

I don't think it matters

Having momentum for 2 years could just as easily burn people out.

I sometimes get that way with movies I've seen FOREVER "Is this really not out yet?"

Is Stewart really that bad? I haven't seen her in anything since Panic Room.

She's actually not, at least I don't think she is.

Twilight was ass and she wasn't good in it, and that's pretty much soured her in a lot of people's eyes.

at this point I doubt we'll see the trailer.

Seems like WB don't want to start the hype a year before. which is kinda of a shame really. WB already lost all the momentum they had built up last year hyping movie (BvS announcement, Batfleck awesome batsuit reveal ---> WW reveal--> Batmobile---BvS teaser ---> radio silence) I guess the delay missed with all of that.

We don't really see stuff until, what, seven/eight months beforehand? The Age of Ultron trailer was in October, correct (out in May)? Jurassic World got one on Thanksgiving (comes out in June), Ant-Man didn't get one until January (out in July).

Loxley

I think if there was a Super Bowl ad, we'd have found out a couple days ago.

I also don't think the "attached to movie X" thing even really matters like it used to now that YouTube gets trailers seen way more than theatrical exhibition.

So I guess we reset the clock for March/April? That would put it about a year out, which seems about when you'd want to release a teaser trailer for a huge bet from a studio.

My guess is Comic-Con for the teaser trailer. Between now and then we'll probably get an official image or two, but I feel like WB are going to play this one really close to the chest. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if we got some images right around the time of The Avengers release if WB just wants to stoke the fanboy flames.

bryanee

6mehVhA.gif

Please be true.

Newlove

I'd love to be wrong of course. I've never heard of it but a bunch of users on SHH say ispot.tv is actually a reliable site...

I think they're just preparing for that video on expectations rather then anything solid, otherwise we would have heard something elsewhere if people knew beforehand.

Simo

I think we'll be disappointed in expecting anything during the Super Bowl. I just don't think WB gets how to hype a superhero movie.

What's the point of hyping BvS now anyway? I don't think WB have done a game spot since 2005 with Batman Begins.

inm8num2

"Composed by Hans Zimmer of The Dark Knight Trilogy and Interstellar."

I want to say that's the first giveaway the alleged teaser synopsis is fake, but with Zimmer mania at an all-time high and his Oscar nomination I wouldn't be surprised if that showed up.

Penguin

I think we'll be disappointed in expecting anything during the Super Bowl. I just don't think WB gets how to hype a superhero movie.

Is that so?

Thought they did a terrific job with both the Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel marketing.

I remember the viral Man of Steel site

"You are not alone"

And think it was The Dark Knight that had like the easter egg hunt that led some to a free imax preview

Ahasverus

And yet in that alleged leak we won't see the real batsuit hahah. What a ride gentlemen, what a ride. The day I finally watch this movie I will feel half empty. All this anticipation for two hours.

Loxley

Is that so?

Thought they did a terrific job with both the Dark Knight Trilogy and Man of Steel marketing.

I remember the viral Man of Steel site

"You are not alone"

And think it was The Dark Knight that had like the easter egg hunt that led some to a free imax preview

They don't have the money to shove it down your throat everywhere you look like Disney does = sucks at marketing super heroes.

inm8num2

I don't think they did well with marketing Batman Begins. I bet a lot of people didn't even know about Begins when The Dark Knight trailer dropped.

Begins did well in theaters but faced the challenge of being the next Batman film after B&R. Some were skeptical. However, Begins had fantastic DVD sales and continued to gain legions of devoted fans after the theatrical run. Combined with Ledger's casting in August 2006, and the ensuing viral marketing beginning in summer 2007, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who didn't know about and enjoy Begins when the TDK trailer arrived.

The Dark Knight was probably the last hurrah of the ARG as movie-marketing idea. They were hiding cellphones in random places all over the city, and they'd call the phone once you found it, so on and so forth.

Penguin

The Dark Knight was probably the last hurrah of the ARG as movie-marketing idea. They were hiding cellphones in random places all over the city, and they'd call the phone once you found it, so on and so forth.

That's the one

Remember also had select cities where they shined the Bat-Light on buildings.

To say they don't know how to market a superhero movie seems... off to me

The problem was all the Batman films up to that point were marketed on the villains. Huge big megastars like Schwarzenegger and Nicholson and Carrey and no-one really gave a damn about Batman as a character, he was just there to foil their schemes. Begins had the hard sell of coming out after the diarrhea that was B&R, with a more introspective central character and villains they couldn't really market well Liam Neeson? No hes the secret villain. Cillain Murphy; well hes got the burlap sack on I suppose. The trailers were all pretty bad I remember.

The problem was all the Batman films up to that point were marketed on the villains. Huge big megastars like Schwarzenegger and Nicholson and Carrey and no-one really gave a damn about Batman as a character, he was just there to foil their schemes. Begins had the hard sell of coming out after the diarrhea that was B&R, with a more introspective central character and villains they couldn't really market well Liam Neeson? No hes the secret villain. Cillain Murphy; well hes got the burlap sack on I suppose. The trailers were all pretty bad I remember.

This was my thought with my last post. TDK was all about the Joker, and with TDKR they thought Bane could have the same kind of impact, and he definitely did not.

Compare this to Disney/Marvel, that makes it so you can't go a week without an interview or concept art or what have you, and I think WB just markets a super hero movie like a typical blockbuster. Which isn't bad, but it's a far cry from what they should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom