• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita OLED Defect Thread

Anony

this is just a response on the OLED>LCD thread where ignorant people are jumping onto the oled praise

there are 2 main problems with vita oleds:
1) black blotches on the black/dark screens (more visible in dim conditions)
it's already been shown on gaf before here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35807094&postcount=21
2) 'vertical lines' - i've never seen this been complained before gaf, but a google search brings up many hits
i really dont know how to describe it, it's just looks like someone put a filter over the screen and there are faint vertical lines all over the image
it more noticeable in dark colours
http://psindependent.com/threads/faint-vertical-lines.10832/
i dont think you'll actually see/notice what i'm talking about in some of these pictures but i guess this picture is the best example of the bunch
DSC01796.jpg

last problem are the oled burn ins:
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526677
universal problem, cannot be fixed, how bad depends on what you play, and how long you play it

my vita unit has the first 2 problems, just reading up on it, it seems to be a manufacturing problem (samsung side)
now, i'm guessing that these two defects are pretty common, but would your average user notice it? nope

i haven't played my vita in a while, and i just got dragon's crown and the problem is pretty noticeable (compared to rayman origins a bright and colourful game)
having said that, i played rayman sometime in january and havent really touched my vita since, and it's now september and my warranty is obviously expired, but just for kicks, i contact sony support regarding these 'defect' and the person i spoke to said they do not have these documented in their database, which baffles me
getting it repaired would cost 130$ i'm told, and i just internally laughs because you can pretty much get a used vita for around that price in my area

tensuke

So far so good for me, going on 10 months or so with mine. Regular use, no falls/scratches yet.

Sorry about your problems, OP. :(

QaaQer

this is just a response on the OLED>LCD thread where ignorant people are jumping onto the oled praise

it's already been shown on gaf before here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35807094&postcount=21
2) 'vertical lines' - i've never seen this been complained before gaf, but a google search brings up many hits
i really dont know how to describe it, it's just looks like someone put a filter over the screen and there are faint vertical lines all over the image
i dont think you'll actually see/notice what i'm talking about in some of these pictures but i guess this picture is the best example of the bunch

universal problem, cannot be fixed, how bad depends on what you play, and how long you play it

my vita unit has the first 2 problems, just reading up on it, it seems to be a manufacturing problem (samsung side)
now, i'm guessing that these two defects are pretty common, but would your average user notice it? nope

i haven't played my vita in a while, and i just got dragon's crown and the problem is pretty noticeable (compared to rayman origins a bright and colourful game)
having said that, i played rayman sometime in january and havent really touched my vita since, and it's now september and my warranty is obviously expired, but just for kicks, i contact sony support regarding these 'defect' and the person i spoke to said they do not have these documented in their database, which baffles me
getting it repaired would cost 130$ i'm told, and i just internally laughs because you can pretty much get a used vita for around that price in my area

first bold is bullshit.

second bold: LCDs never have manufacturing problems right? so obviously LCD > oled.

If you want to slam OLED, slam it for the right reasons: degredation of the organics leading to color imbalance, and cost.

Hmmm. This is a bit worrying. I've had my vita for about a year and I'm not having that kinda problems. I've dropped it a couple of time from a low height onto carpet (cuz the fking charge cable!) but it's still going strong.

Do you play with full brightness all the time?

Yeah OLED isn't a problem with phones because you replace them every year or 2 but it concerns me for a game system which I keep much longer.

VanWinkle

Still rocking the first edition bundle Vita and have no problems except the mura (splotches) effect. And you accidentally said (more visible in dim conditions), when its actually ONLY visible in dim to dark conditions.

Same with my second Vita that's about a year old. Screen looks incredible, and such a big step up for gaming compared to my iPad mini and iPhone.

I also have a four year old Zune HD, which was one of the first big consumer devices with OLED. Can barely see any of the splotches anymore, and the screen quality still looks great on it. So I'm not worried.

stryke

The mura problem is pretty much near universal for OLED screens. I've learnt to deal with it. It's all over my Galaxy S2 as well.

As for the vertical lines, I had to trade in my Vita twice until I got one without it. The best way to see it was to call up the grey shut down screen after long pressing the power button.

edit: actually, it's not grey. Umm, bluish grey
or greyish blue?? :p

inner-G

Banned
I'll take the tradeoffs for that electric neon OLED color and contrast which looks better in game in almost every conceivable way.

The mura problem is pretty much near universal for OLED screens. I've learnt to deal with it. It's all over my Galaxy S2 as well.

As for the vertical lines, I had to trade in my Vita twice until I got one without it. The best way to see it was to call up the grey shut down screen after long pressing the power button.

nice tip there, i'm on the fence for a oled vita....

Frillen

I love how LCD suddenly have become better than OLED now. Those are the ignorant ones. Not the ones the OP describes.

Sojourner

Neo Member
I bought mine used and have had it for about a year. I noticed it has the mura effect, but only when the screen turns 100% black so its not a problem really. No other problems either. I doubt I'll experience any burn in for a long time. My Galaxy Nexus got some burn in after about a year and a half and I used it significantly more than my Vita. Sorry to hear you have problems with yours OP.

Metfanant

this...its a byproduct of the technology unfortunately...i was BEYOND lucky when i got my Galaxy S3 last year that i basically had ZERO visible problems...unfortunately the phone decided to forget how to switch between 3G/4G/WiFi without rebooting...the replacement phone's screen was not quite as satisfying...

with that said its IMPOSSIBLE to see on anything but the blackest screens in low light situations...anyone who has not noticed it i implore you to not go looking for it as you will only drive yourself nuts...

I love how LCD suddenly have become better than OLED now. Those are the ignorant ones. Not the one the OP describes.

as with all display techs there are pros and cons to all of them

Alebrije

oled > lcd for sure but wath is point of get a device with better screen if you have more risk to get those kind of problems with it, LCD dead pixels are the most common problem but it pales compared to oled ones....

I've seen weird things with my OLED but it's never more than like a second...when the screen is lit black in transition from one thing to another

anddo0

I've seen weird things with my OLED but it's never more than like a second...when the screen is lit black in transition from one thing to another

This

It's so brief, it's a not even an issue. I notice a tiny black box (bottom left of the screen) while the screen transitions in Spelunky, and in some instances while playing Limbo.

Mokubba

No problems for me and I got mine at launch.

The black blotches are only there when the screen is completely black so it never affects gameplay.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
No problems for me yet, but I really don't use my Vita much any more.

Just took a look at my Vita (JP launch) and see that I do indeed have the vertical lines thing, but I never noticed it until this very moment when I looked for it. It's not noticeable unless I pull up the shut down screen and look really closely. Non-issue, IMO... unless it's more severe on other Vitas.
Edit: Took a second look at the picture and yeah that's significantly worse than what I see on my Vita. I guess YMMV.

I have the "black blotch" thing described in OP but it's honestly not noticeable except for pitch black screens. I can be pretty OC when it comes to my screen but this isn't bothering me.

Have the mura. Thought it was an issue but realized it wasn't. From a consumer perspective, I'd prefer it didn't exist, but really has no bearing on my Vita and what I play.

prism

Neo Member
I always thought the mura effect and the vertical lines weren't considered defects? i thought most vitas had them? too bad my vita was dropped on a solid asphalt and got a bunch of scratches or I could probably get mine exchanged. I mean, I don't really find the vertical lines a problem but a better screen is always errhm, better!

Anony

no where did i claimed lcd is better than oled, i'm just trying to point out that vita oled screens have their share of problems and these problems are pretty common

what's good with lcds are that it's a mature technology that's been vastly improved upon that's comparable to new technologies (ie: colour for plasma, response time for crt)
of course, lcds have problems too, dead pixels, bleeding backlight, but what i mean by mature technologies is that these problems is not very common

so if you're buying a lcd or oled, probably-wise, you're more likely to get a faulty/defective oled than a faulty/defective lcd
it's really just a gamble, your odds of getting a good lcd screen is probably going to be alot better than a good oled screen

anyways, i guess the summary version i should have put at the end of the post is that, people should be aware of the oled screens problems in vita before making their purchase if you're getting it just for the oled screen (which seems too be a reoccurring post due to oled discontinue speculations)

jokkir

I love how LCD suddenly have become better than OLED now. Those are the ignorant ones. Not the one the OP describes.

If you keep up with displays (especially on mobile devices like smart phones) you'll realize that LCD is lots of benefits compared to OLED. Much better colour replication (unlike the over saturated colours of OLED), non-pentile displays which result in sharper image quality, brighter outside in sunlight and so on.

Anony

I always thought the mura effect and the vertical lines weren't considered defects? i thought most vitas had them? too bad my vita was dropped on a solid asphalt and got a bunch of scratches or I could probably get mine exchanged. I mean, I don't really find the vertical lines a problem but a better screen is always errhm, better!

depends on what you consider defects:
dead pixels are 100% defects
the problems i described are not defects in a sense that everything is still technically functioning, BUT it degrades your picture quailty depending on how bad it is on your screen

at the same time, there are vitas that vary in how bad these effects are, and if you have a bad screen and you know that you could have gotten a better screen (luck of the draw/gamble) then yes, i would consider that defective as well

and if you never noticed these problems before and now you have, you will not be able to unsee them (maybe)

no where did i calm lcd is better than oled, i'm just trying to point out that vita oled screens have their share of problems and these problems are pretty common

what's good with lcds are that it's a mature technology that's been vastly improved upon that's comparable to new technologies (ie: colour for plasma, response time for crt)
of course, lcds have problems too, dead pixels, bleeding backlight, but what i mean by mature technologies is that these problems is not very common

so if you're buying a lcd or oled, probably-wise, you're more likely to get a faulty/defective oled than a faulty/defective lcd
it's really just a gamble, your odds of getting a good lcd screen is probably going to be alot better than a good oled screen

anyways, i guess the summary version i should have put at the end of the post is that, people should be aware of the oled screens problems in vita before making their purchase if you're getting it just for the oled screen (which seems too be a reoccurring post due to oled discontinue speculations)
LCD has some advantages over OLED but none of them matter when it comes to gaming. OLED is just better than LCD in every way when it comes to gaming.

If you keep up with displays (especially on mobile devices like smart phones) you'll realize that LCD is lots of benefits compared to OLED. Much better colour replication (unlike the over saturated colours of OLED), non-pentile displays which result in sharper image quality, brighter outside in sunlight and so on.

What benefits do those add to gaming? And not every OLED is pentile, vita's isn't.

Shai-Tan

Banned
that type of "burn in" can also happen to lcd by the way. the browser was badly designed for people who use the browser often enough to cause differential "aging". i've got a couple lcd that have the same problem from playing a lot of 4:3 content (black bars on the side)

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
no where did i calm lcd is better than oled, i'm just trying to point out that vita oled screens have their share of problems and these problems are pretty common

First you say that people is ignorant if thinks that oled > lcd and you make an entire post about how bad is the oled, then you say that you have never said that the lcd is better than the oled.
I understand that you are angry because your vita is not perfect, but those problems are not as common as dead pixels for the lcd for example, and if you really want to be honest then make a post for the faults of the lcd like the one in the ot for the oled and then let us decide.

Anyway another comparison just because:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9_dB82DmHU

The viewing angle of the lcd is not as wide as the one of the oled and colors are different, especially warm colors and white that is "whiter" on the oled.

MYE

Yep, OLED is not reliable from what I hear. And thats a terrible thing for a console since I tend to want to keep them around for years.

Give me a solid, durable screen over finicky tech (that only offers better contrast) any day.

jokkir

What benefits do those add to gaming? And not every OLED is pentile, vita's isn't.

Eh, the original poster I quoted didn't specify gaming so I stick with what I said :p I would assume the brighter in sunlight would benefit for a handheld device though and colour replication for getting an experience on what developers intended.

But with that said, I don't care much for LCD screens. I'd rather have the darker blacks and more vibrant colours on OLED though I do find the colour replication a bit problematic when taking photos

Jack cw

LCD is a much more mature technology. OLED in theory is better, but it has a long way to go before replacing LCD.
That is true. My vita oled has some mura. Oled tech isn't free from flaws. I'd rather take some clouding over mura from oled or false contouring with plasma anytime.

MYE

Plus LCD technology can be fucking amazing. I'm looking at my new iMac screen and I'd be lying if I didn't say this is one of the best screens I've ever owned, and tbh, seen.
Certainly the best at displaying the correct shade of colors when I'm designing stuff.

I was laughing at all the "ewww LCD" bullshit at the other thread. Plz

My Vita (and the 4 or 5 other Vitas I've checked out) all exhibit both the blotches and vertical lines. All OLED smartphones I've used also exhibit the blotches and weird lines too. The lines thing is very subtle - not usually as obvious as the photo in the OP, and it's only detectable in certain conditions. Same goes for the blotchyness - this is practically invisible in normal lighting conditions - you need to be in darkened room displaying a grey or black screen. It is no surprise that many Vita owners claim that their screen does not have these problems, or that they are so subtle that it doesn't have any negative impact. But I'm confident that all Vitas (and indeed any OLED ever) exhibits these 'flaws', but some are more obvious than others.

Plus LCD technology can be fucking amazing. I'm looking at my new iMac screen and I'd be lying if I didn't say this is one of the best screens I've ever owned, and tbh, seen.
Certainly the best at displaying the correct shade of colors when I'm designing stuff.

I was laughing at all the "ewww LCD" bullshit at the other thread. Plz

In what way is LCD superior for gaming, I'm curious. Please tell me how.

bLaiSe

The only problem that one of my Vitas OLED has is that it's broken. :( Friend sat on it...
And the mura effect but everyone has that.

Orca

The lack of documentation on the issue isn't surprising really. Sony seems to have a standing 'that doesn't happen' policy with issues like PSP 'flex' problems, PS3 YLOD, the PS2 disc read, PS1 disc read, Bravia light block issues, etc... The few times they've done something, like the PS2 and Bravia cases, it's been a loss in a class action suit that forced them into it.

In what way is LCD superior for gaming, I'm curious. Please tell me how.
I what way is oled superior? Response time? Its near instant on oled but it still suffers from movement blurring on vita due to the sample and hold display method.

For gaming, both are suitable forms of display. LCD is better for outdoor use. OLED better for contrast. The thing that sucks about the new vita LCD is that its not an IPS display (based on what people say about its viewing angles, it has to be TN) so its not a top LCD screen.

Cha

Add me to the to the "ignorant people" count :p
For the Vita, the way I see it, in terms of display quality OLED>LCD. Longevity LCD>OLED. POTENTIAL defects OLED>LCD.
Sure OLED has some problems, but the degree, severity and frequency of some of them seems greatly exaggerated.

I guess I'm one of the lucky many that only have Mura, which I feel isn't even worthy of being counted as a "defect".

Confiture

Banned
Mura isn't even a problem. You only see black spots when the rest of the screen is entirely black anyway.

Yes it is.
I use my Vita mainly at night with no light on and can see the blotches/lines in dark scenes.
You don't need an all black screen to see them.

Top Bottom