• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

jacobeid
Member
(09-23-2013, 02:49 PM)
Getting really sick of R* not acknowledging this problem. Game runs like shit for me. Worse than Skyrim at launch BY FAR.
OverBlood 3
Member
(09-23-2013, 02:52 PM)
OverBlood 3's Avatar
This thread makes me feel better about waiting for the PC version. Although I expect it to have it's own exclusive set of problems. Ah video games.
d00d3n
Member
(09-23-2013, 03:37 PM)
d00d3n's Avatar

Originally Posted by jacobeid

Getting really sick of R* not acknowledging this problem. Game runs like shit for me. Worse than Skyrim at launch BY FAR.

It is possible that they are investigating if it is possible to fix the issue and what it would would cost them to do so before making any public announcement. If it is technically impossible or too expensive to fix, they have no reason to expose themselves to liability by admitting the error. There is also the (likely) scenario that they investigated the issue and found it impossible/too expensive to fix some time ago, but decided to release on PSN anyway to maximize profit. Again, that would mean that they have no reason to expose themselves to liability by admitting the error.

Rockstar appreciate the onetime sale to the casual consumer, but what the absolutely love is the staggering per consumer profit of selling a broken version of their game (PSN), a somewhat less broken version (PS3 disc), and finally the complete working game (PC, PS4) to hardcore gamers. If they are really lucky you will pay full price for all of these versions and possibly a double set of their dlc too! Sure, the causal sales probably make up the lion share of the actual profits, but releasing a good game and having people pay just once for it is for loser companies like Ubisoft and Activision ...
jacobeid
Member
(09-24-2013, 04:31 PM)

Originally Posted by d00d3n

It is possible that they are investigating if it is possible to fix the issue and what it would would cost them to do so before making any public announcement. If it is technically impossible or too expensive to fix, they have no reason to expose themselves to liability by admitting the error. There is also the (likely) scenario that they investigated the issue and found it impossible/too expensive to fix some time ago, but decided to release on PSN anyway to maximize profit. Again, that would mean that they have no reason to expose themselves to liability by admitting the error.

Rockstar appreciate the onetime sale to the casual consumer, but what the absolutely love is the staggering per consumer profit of selling a broken version of their game (PSN), a somewhat less broken version (PS3 disc), and finally the complete working game (PC, PS4) to hardcore gamers. If they are really lucky you will pay full price for all of these versions and possibly a double set of their dlc too! Sure, the causal sales probably make up the lion share of the actual profits, but releasing a good game and having people pay just once for it is for loser companies like Ubisoft and Activision ...

After a second database revuild, the game is running much smoother for me. I was angry yesterday not necessarily because of the performance of the game but because of the fact that they sent a message out to Xbox users but nothing to Playstation users. Even after several outlets covered the problem, support remained absent on the issue. I love R*, but they should have anticipated this especially if they designed the game to run off the HDD and disc simultaneously.

You're right though, they'll be getting a double dip from me regardless of this issue. Though I guarantee I won't pay anything close to retail to play it on PC. I don't really think they deserve $120 after selling us a gimped version.
Last edited by jacobeid; 09-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.
Nags
Member
(09-25-2013, 02:42 AM)
Nags's Avatar
Been playing the digital version for the past week and I had maybe 3 huge pop-ins, but for the most part the game is running as expected on dated hardware. I already double dipped for this, picked up the CE as well, so now I'm interested to see how much of a difference (if any) there is.
Harlock
Member
(09-25-2013, 07:41 AM)
Harlock's Avatar
The save file from the disc version is the same of digital version?
bobot
Junior Member
(09-25-2013, 08:07 AM)
bobot's Avatar
No dramatic pop in in mine. Glad I either have a good ps3 or the monies I spent in my intenal hdd was worth it.
oxidax
Member
(09-25-2013, 01:52 PM)
oxidax's Avatar

Originally Posted by Harlock

The save file from the disc version is the same of digital version?


The save file is just a file that your game creates on your hard drive. It's gonna work with either the digital or the disc version.
Bill Squabber
Member
(09-26-2013, 09:11 AM)
Bill Squabber's Avatar
So no fix coming? Are we screwed?



Originally Posted by oxidax

The save file is just a file that your game creates on your hard drive. It's gonna work with either the digital or the disc version.

Not always true.
Brandon F
Member
(09-26-2013, 11:43 AM)
Brandon F's Avatar
Damn so this AND the GTA5 pulse elite custom file have issues. What is going on?
banjoted
Junior Member
(09-26-2013, 01:21 PM)
banjoted's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bill Squabber

So no fix coming? Are we screwed?





Not always true.

In this instance they are cross-compatible
oxidax
Member
(09-26-2013, 01:32 PM)
oxidax's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bill Squabber

So no fix coming? Are we screwed?





Not always true.

It worked for me i double dipped.
blitzcloud
Member
(09-26-2013, 01:43 PM)
blitzcloud's Avatar
i Haven't had any problems aside from a few pop-ins (most notable one was the , in like 12+ hours.

500gb 5400pm drive

did rebuild and restore
AkuMifune
Member
(09-26-2013, 04:07 PM)
AkuMifune's Avatar
I wouldn't be surprised if the streaming from disc + HDD thing was only the way it was designed on the 360. Isn't it true that the blu-ray drive streams at a much lower bitrate than a regular DVD drive and so even if they did design it this way on the PS3 the issue would be less than that on the 360? I just get the feeling maybe there never was an issue, or that it's all down to YMMV based on model and HDD, if you've rebuilt the database or not.

The only time I ever had issues with the PSN version was top speed in a helicopter across the city at low altitude, and I doubt any version wouldn't have pop in in that situation.
Tankshell
Member
(09-27-2013, 01:05 PM)
Tankshell's Avatar
Having had the PSN version since release, I just purchased the disc version and it installed alongside the existing PSN version... so I now have both installed on the PS3.

Do I actually need to go and delete the PSN version now, or is it clever enough to stream from the disc if I start the game from the disc icon (rather than the PSN icon).
Zukuu
Member
(09-27-2013, 01:10 PM)
Zukuu's Avatar
I run into 0 problems with the PSN version apart from a texture loading glitch once.
fijim
Member
(09-27-2013, 01:15 PM)
fijim's Avatar
I have had pop-in a few times, but usually there are no issues. Only once did I have the issue where the textures failed to load while driving fast on the highway. I am about 30% through the game.

So despite a couple issues, 99% of the time it is perfect.
oxidax
Member
(09-28-2013, 03:21 PM)
oxidax's Avatar
just sold my disc copy since Sony wont give me a refund. got myself a hdd sdd hybrid and all my problems are solved.The psn version is running very smooth now. Im only getting minor shadows issues here and there but nothing crazy nor annoying. Im happy again. :P
WhoaIsThatMars
Member
(09-29-2013, 01:43 PM)
WhoaIsThatMars's Avatar
I was on vacation when they put my refund through. I got home from the airport to find out that my digital copy of GTAV still boots up. Free game for meeeeeee
SolidChamp
Member
(09-29-2013, 04:29 PM)
SolidChamp's Avatar
For the record, the disc version of the game suffers from pop-in like any other GTA or open world game. I have the PS3 disc version and I am extremely picky when it comes to pop-in with objects and texture, and it bugs me more than drops in frame rate.

You can also see things fade/stream into existence from a distance.

Flying around the map? Forget it. Pop-in galore.

We're running this on 7 year old hardware, so nobody is going to play the game and not see pop-in or textures suddenly filling into the world.

I'm just shocked that the game has as much polish as it does and holds up so well. Can't wait to see what this will look like on next-gen hardware.
Jugendstil
Member
(09-30-2013, 01:10 AM)
Jugendstil's Avatar
Well, my PS3 bluray drive gave out today while playing the game. With the PS4 coming so soon, I don't know if I really wanna invest in replacing the drive or system but I really really want to finish the game. I'd be fine double dipping on the digital version if wasn't so crappy. Of course the disc version killed my bluray drive so... it's basically a FML situation.
oxidax
Member
(09-30-2013, 01:13 AM)
oxidax's Avatar

Originally Posted by WhoaIsThatMars

I was on vacation when they put my refund through. I got home from the airport to find out that my digital copy of GTAV still boots up. Free game for meeeeeee

So jealous. They refused to give me a refund 3 times.
softie
Member
(10-14-2013, 01:25 PM)
softie's Avatar
Playing the game now with my PS3 Super Slim and a Crucial CT256M4SSD2 256GB. http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-256GB-...56M4SSD2+256GB.

So damn smooth and awesome. :-D I see almost no pop-ins and everything loads super fast. The SSD really helps with those kind of games.^^
Last edited by softie; 10-14-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Donos
Member
(11-16-2013, 09:20 AM)
Is the PSN Version still worse then the retail release or did any patches helped it? I have a slim ps3 with 320 GB HDD.

If i'm reading the thread right not everybody has the same problems so maybe i will get lucky?

Want to grab GTA V from the Amazon store.
dubq
Member
(11-16-2013, 04:21 PM)
dubq's Avatar

Originally Posted by Donos

Is the PSN Version still worse then the retail release or did any patches helped it? I have a slim ps3 with 320 GB HDD.

If i'm reading the thread right not everybody has the same problems so maybe i will get lucky?

Want to grab GTA V from the Amazon store.

I actually found it fine with a 7200rpm hard drive installed.
Donos
Member
(11-16-2013, 04:24 PM)

Originally Posted by dubq

I actually found it fine with a 7200rpm hard drive installed.

ok but i still have the stock 320 GB drive inside the PS3. I don't really mind some popups here and there so i think i'm going for it. Don't want to wait till the retail release gets cheaper.

Thread Tools