• @NeoGAF

maplelord93
Banned
(09-19-2013, 02:24 AM)

Left: North America/Dev kit Variant Right: International Variant

For size comparisons. Left: Xbox One Right: Xbox 360 S

source:http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comm..._power_supply/

from xbox one dev

Try looking at it from an engineering design point of view rather than Xbox did it worse.
Hardware specs: The number of shader cores, type of RAM etc. were all chosen for a reason that works best for our set of features. Running multiple OS'es, instant switching, running app side by side, the Kinect, and so forth.
Console size: We wanted it to run cool, to run for a very long time, and we wanted it dead silent. To do so, big fans are needed, which leads to a larger size.
External power supply: One less thing to cool internally. When your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console.
Controller internal\external batteries: Same thing here. When the batteries works, you're wireless, great. When your batteries are drained, simply swap in another pair, you're still wireless. If they are internal, you'd have to be wired until they are charged.

Last edited by maplelord93; 09-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
funkystudent
(09-19-2013, 02:26 AM)
The brick looks like a lil xbone.

Thats cute.
Zombie James
(09-19-2013, 02:27 AM)
I can't wait for someone to tear apart the PS4 so we can compare both systems' internals. I really want to know how Sony managed to build a more powerful system that's smaller with an internal power supply.
blurredvision
An external power brick is ridiculous. Now I have to put it behind my TV and never look at it again.
MoeB
so vintage
such math
power levl=1080

Originally Posted by funkystudent

Thats cute.

why does it need to be so big? does anyone here have an electrical engineering background who can explain that to me?
jaypah
(09-19-2013, 02:28 AM)

Originally Posted by blurredvision

An external power brick is ridiculous. Now I have to put it behind my TV and never look at it again.

As opposed to putting an internal power supply on display?
alr1ght
bish gets all the credit :)
Those two bricks are probably bigger than a Wii U.
Professor Lich

Originally Posted by Zombie James

I can't wait for someone to tear apart the PS4 so we can compare both systems' internals. I really want to know how Sony managed to build a more powerful system that's smaller with an internal power supply.

They built it with part of an orphan.
SPE
(09-19-2013, 02:30 AM)

Originally Posted by MoeB

why does it need to be so big? does anyone here have an electrical engineering background who can explain that to me?

You can't explain that.
LQX
Remember, he is Canadian.

I bet Sony's system would be bigger and have a external power supply if it was meant to be always on and act like cable box of sorts.
digoutyoursoul

Hope it's quiet then, I bought the 360 slim which was advertised as being quiet. The disc drive without a HDD install is noisy and I had to have my power brick replaced twice as it was loud and very annoying
enzo_gt
tagged by Blackace
(09-19-2013, 02:31 AM)

Originally Posted by funkystudent

Thats cute.

I'm already fiending for the Castle-Vidcon goodness.
DSN2K
(09-19-2013, 02:32 AM)
seriously why is this so huge while PS4 doesn't even have one ?
Whiteshirt
(09-19-2013, 02:33 AM)

Originally Posted by LQX

I bet Sony's system would be bigger and have a external power supply if it was meant to be always on and act like cable box of sorts.

It doesn't. I have no idea why the Xbox One is so large besides to make it as large as other home theatre devices. Even mITX PCs can cram far more power into a far smaller footprint while keeping noise to a minimum.

Computers can downclock themselves these days while they're idling or running low powered tasks you know. 24/7 runtime is such a meaningless quantifier. All it means Microsoft has chosen better parts (like capacitors) this time round that won't explode after 3 years and they've clamped on a large heatsink to the APU. Sony can very easily achieve a similar result if they don't go cheap with the cooling solution and good internal power supplies with fantastic efficiency aren't exactly huge or uncommon these days. These APUs aren't exactly power hungry monsters like the Cell + RSX.
Last edited by Whiteshirt; 09-19-2013 at 02:39 AM.
maplelord93
Banned
(09-19-2013, 02:39 AM)

Originally Posted by DSN2K

seriously why is this so huge while PS4 doesn't even have one ?

here from xbox one dev

Try looking at it from an engineering design point of view rather than Xbox did it worse.
Hardware specs: The number of shader cores, type of RAM etc. were all chosen for a reason that works best for our set of features. Running multiple OS'es, instant switching, running app side by side, the Kinect, and so forth.
Console size: We wanted it to run cool, to run for a very long time, and we wanted it dead silent. To do so, big fans are needed, which leads to a larger size.
External power supply: One less thing to cool internally. When your power supply stops working, that's the only part that needs to be replaced, not the entire console.
Controller internal\external batteries: Same thing here. When the batteries works, you're wireless, great. When your batteries are drained, simply swap in another pair, you're still wireless. If they are internal, you'd have to be wired until they are charged.

bkfount
(09-19-2013, 02:41 AM)

I just hate them because they're the only fucking electronics I own with giant ass bricks behind my entertainment center. It's also a pain in the ass if you want to take it somewhere.

I just assumed MS conservatively goes with these after the power supply issues they had with the first xbox, and they still even had rrod issues with the 360 overheating with no internal power supply. It's no shock that Sony is better hardware, that's their butter.
Last edited by bkfount; 09-19-2013 at 02:45 AM.
AbstractZen
(09-19-2013, 02:43 AM)

Originally Posted by MoeB

Any components that deal with a lot of power are going to be quite large. The more power you expect something to handle the larger the component will be.

The largest part is usually the transformer that is responsible for stepping down the 120Vac down to something a little easier to convert to the various DC power rails (12v, 5v, etc). There are almost always supporting capacitors that can be quite large as well. Not to mention any protection devices. Power supplies are quite noisy as well, so moving all of that out can be beneficial.

Now, as far as Sony getting around all of that, I say it's magic.

(Source: I'm not an engineer, but work for three on a daily basis and have been an electronic tech for 13 years. Oh, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so there's that....)
Barkley's Justice

cause that's what sony do: makes hardware. for like over half a decade nahmeen
ItIsOkBro

Originally Posted by maplelord93

here from xbox one dev

Isn't it the engineering design point of view that says Xbox did it worse?
MercuryLS
(09-19-2013, 02:45 AM)
Dat MS hardware engineering.
synce
Banned
(09-19-2013, 02:45 AM)
Why is it bigger than the 360's? Isn't the Xbone supposed to be more efficient?
NewGame
(09-19-2013, 02:46 AM)
I bet it gets super hot. I recall the first 360 having an uncomfortably hot transformer.
EnVy_CaLiBeR

Originally Posted by maplelord93

here from xbox one dev

Makes sense. Still, I thought the 360's brick was pretty big and this is even larger. Sheesh.
Platinum_D
Shiny brick
SatansReverence
That's a comparison vs the slim60 power supply yes? In that case, it really isn't all that big. Not much bigger than my hand.
OryoN
(09-19-2013, 02:48 AM)

There are already some shots of the innards. But yeah, that's quite an accomplishment (even knowing there's no eSRAM making the die hotter, and GDDR5 supposedly runs cooler than DDR3). Part of me still have some reservations, until I see the final retail version.
USC-fan
aka Kbsmoker
(09-19-2013, 02:50 AM)
Same spec as that slim model. They must have a good deal on that supply!
DopeyFish
Not bitter, just unsweetened
(09-19-2013, 02:55 AM)

Originally Posted by USC-fan

Same spec as that slim model. They must have a good deal on that supply!

The two they are comparing in the top pic are both X1 PSUs
entrement
(09-19-2013, 03:01 AM)

Sony has a long engineering history and they have amazing engineers. That's one of their core competencies. MS has been a software company for ages. They're relatively new to hardware.
R dott B
(09-19-2013, 03:04 AM)
I can dig it.
CoG
(09-19-2013, 03:11 AM)
They are just plain terrible at design. The giant power brick, the VCR console itself, controller that take AA batteries, it goes on. Microsoft obviously has some decent design people on staff (Surface for one) but the Xbone looks like it was designed by some derpy engineer with a 3D printer.
CambriaRising
(09-19-2013, 03:12 AM)
Oof, that's big. I thought it looked smaller from the pictures.
Randolph Freelander
(09-19-2013, 03:17 AM)
What was that blurb about the controller? Is it not plug in rechargeable?
VlaudTheImpaler
(09-19-2013, 03:18 AM)

Originally Posted by SatansReverence

That's a comparison vs the slim60 power supply yes? In that case, it really isn't all that big. Not much bigger than my hand.

Hmm, that's not as big as I thought it was going to be given the way people were talking. This is barely bigger than my hand either, if at all.

Also, as power bricks go, it looks really nice. I'm digging how they have kept the design through all of their visible hardware components.
Last edited by VlaudTheImpaler; 09-19-2013 at 03:21 AM.
entrement
(09-19-2013, 03:18 AM)

Originally Posted by CoG

They are just plain terrible at design. The giant power brick, the VCR console itself, controller that take AA batteries, it goes on. Microsoft obviously has some decent design people on staff (Surface for one) but the Xbone looks like it was designed by some derpy engineer with a 3D printer.

I prefer AA batteries.

Eneloops for the win
netBuff
(09-19-2013, 03:20 AM)

Originally Posted by SatansReverence

Originally Posted by VlaudTheImpaler

Hmm, that's not as big as I thought it was going to be given the way people were talking. This is barely bigger than my hand either, if at all.

You must have gigantic hands, the slim power supply isn't exactly small. Let's hope, this time the power supply fan isn't as noticeable as with some slim power adaptors.
Japanmanx3
(09-19-2013, 03:22 AM)

Prophecy?
DESTROYA
(09-19-2013, 04:44 AM)
My oh my what a big brick you have Xbone.
dallow_bg
nods at old men
(09-19-2013, 04:51 AM)
I hate the external power brick of my 360 because I couldn't place the the console where I wanted to on my medial shelf due to the cord/brick, or use the built in cable management to hide the wires.
andromeduck
(09-19-2013, 04:55 AM)

my guess is blower fan with upside down pcb floating in the middle where the ports are intake from sides/part of back cools psu and then pushed out the back
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(09-19-2013, 04:55 AM)

Originally Posted by entrement

I prefer AA batteries.

Eneloops for the win

Next you are going to tell me you prefer AA batteries on your iphone.
StevieP
(09-19-2013, 04:56 AM)

Originally Posted by entrement

Sony has a long engineering history and they have amazing engineers. That's one of their core competencies. MS has been a software company for ages. They're relatively new to hardware.

My upside down ps1 and broken ps2 phat, and my currently non-working ps3 bd drive thats going to cost me 115 bucks remember their core competencies. Meanwhile my NES works. I prefer over engineering something. Something ms avoided for the 360 as well.
Vulcano's assistant
(09-19-2013, 04:56 AM)
A glossy brick? But why?
Budhapalm
(09-19-2013, 04:57 AM)
power brick = lazy engineering

but it shouldn't factor in the overall appeal of the system.
andromeduck
(09-19-2013, 04:58 AM)
also, what happened to that whole 16:9 aesthetic thing?
Hyunashi
(09-19-2013, 04:58 AM)
Regardless of the size complaints and whatnot, at least it looks nicer than any normal brick.
Andronicus
(09-19-2013, 05:01 AM)
Thread should be named C'mon Son

it'll be behind shit, not a big deal
Foghorn Leghorn
(09-19-2013, 05:02 AM)

Originally Posted by LQX

How many cable boxes come with an enormous power brick? I've had cable boxes since the remote was tethered to the box via a long cord and have never seen one.
metareferential
(09-19-2013, 05:02 AM)
I don't care about external psu, as long as the console is whisper quiet and cool.

I don't get why some of you care that much either. You put it somewhere you can't see it, and forget about its existence anyway.

This next-gen is funny, everything is upside down: Microsoft having a big, complex box, Sony a cool, efficient one.

Microsoft in distress, Sony sailing towards a glorious launch. Will RROD reverse too? xD

Originally Posted by Foghorn Leghorn

How many cable boxes come with an enormous power brick? I've had cable boxes since the remote was tethered to the box via a long cord and have never seen one.

Don't be silly, how many cable boxes have a gpu, an 8core cpu, etc? Come on.
partime
(09-19-2013, 05:04 AM)

Originally Posted by Japanmanx3

Prophecy?

Oh Microsoft! How much would you charge for a replacement? ... really