• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Divvy
Canadians burned my passport
(09-20-2013, 05:13 AM)
Because apparently I'm a very bad at judging these things:

I was cooking for myself and a few people, but I suppose I put in a bit too many noodles and they ended up absording all the water and formed this gelatinous blob and I had to cut it with a knife to eat it. Any tips to avoid this embarrassment in the future would be much appreciated.
bobbytkc
ADD New Gen Gamer
(09-20-2013, 05:14 AM)
I'll be honest and say I never knew pasta can do this.
LuffyZoro
(09-20-2013, 05:14 AM)
You just didn't have enough water; you can never have too much pasta.
Divvy
(09-20-2013, 05:15 AM)

Originally Posted by LuffyZoro

You just didn't have enough water; you can never have too much pasta.

I filled the entire pot with water. I could not have filled it any more without it spilling over really.
Kajigger
(09-20-2013, 05:16 AM)
I never knew this was even possible. I just put water, salt and when it stops being a stick I take it out.
LuffyZoro

Originally Posted by Divvy

I filled the entire pot with water. I could not have filled it any more without it spilling over really.

Clearly you need a bigger pot.
blame space
Member with a nice beard and a broken TV
you really blew it this time Divvy
Fracas
The absolute max you can go is a pound of pasta in something like your average saucepan, which is roughly the size of a small helmet. Even that's cutting it close. Make sure you're not overcooking.
jtb
the walrus
damn. to fuck up a dish as easy to cook as pasta like that... that's pretty impressive, actually.
Divvy
(09-20-2013, 05:17 AM)

Originally Posted by LuffyZoro

Clearly you need a bigger pot.

Maybe

Originally Posted by blame space

I'm sorry
CarpeDeezNutz
I make spaghetti so often I can just sense it. I take a look and hold it in my hand pretty much the right amount every time. I did make fairly large portions the first few go's at it haha.
outunderthestars
He's not our sharpest knife.

Originally Posted by blame space

This.
stravinsky
That looks awful. One pound of dry pasta is four servings.
andymcc
this is right below setting a pot of water on fire.
SwiftDeath
(09-20-2013, 05:18 AM)
That is the most impressive and terrifying cooking I have ever seen

For you I think you should get the amount of pasta you feel is right and then use 1/10 of that amount

Might still be a bit much though
sikkinixx
(09-20-2013, 05:19 AM)
That's some white ass pasta too. Seconding the you need a LOT bigger pot.
reKon
(09-20-2013, 05:19 AM)
that was really really bad Divvy, I'm sorry lol
Fury Sense
(09-20-2013, 05:20 AM)
the box is 1lb so half the box is enough to feed me if i'm really hungry or feed two people if i only want to eat a normal amount of food

pretty amazing pic
Kitsunebaby
I don't even know how you did that. Did you stir the pasta while you cooked it? How many pounds of pasta did you use?
Alcotholic
I've never seen this happen. Ever. How strange. You must have let it sit there for an hour or something, because pasta shouldn't be like that.
entrement
Damn, son.

Get a bigger pot. You need lots of water. Lots of water.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpha-5510-Sta...uart+stock+pot
Divvy
I don't eat that many carbs, and what I do eat is rice, so I almost never make pasta. Guess I should practice more.

Originally Posted by sikkinixx

That's some white ass pasta too. Seconding the you need a LOT bigger pot.

It's not really pasta, it's asian wheat noodles.
outunderthestars
I will seriously chip in $10 for you to make an accurate video reenactment of how the hell you created that culinary abortion..
Askani
(09-20-2013, 05:21 AM)
Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.
Darth Pinche
Italian Grandmother method : As the pasta cooks, take a strand out and throw it against a wall to see if it sticks.
sk3

Originally Posted by Fury Sense

the box is 1lb so half the box is enough to feed me if i'm really hungry or feed two people if i only want to eat a normal amount of food

Sounds about right. The trick is how much sauce matches the amount of pasta. This can vary wildly depending on the type of noodle.
Kitsunebaby
(09-20-2013, 05:22 AM)

I don't eat that many carbs, and what I do eat is rice, so I almost never make pasta. Guess I should practice more.

The box usually has cooking directions on it detailing how much water to use and how long to cook it for.
CarpeDeezNutz

Originally Posted by Fury Sense

Heh, I buy that same brand. A little over a fourth is good enough to feed me. Lol at all the responses too!
Cornballer
foul temptress
The usual amount I've heard is 4 to 6 quarts of water per pound of pasta. Salt the water heavily.
Divvy

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

I will seriously chip in $10 for you to make an accurate video reenactment of how the hell you created that culinary abortion..

I ran out of the noodles

Originally Posted by Askani

Guessing you didn't rinse your pasta. Looks like you cooked it too long and then didn't rinse it and it continued to cook. Just because you drain it doesn't mean it's done. Also looks like you put it back on electric stove burner that was still hot?

Anyway, rinse your pasta with water after you drain it. It will remove the outer layer of starch, stops it from cooking extra, and keeps it from sticking in the pan.

That's good advice, thanks
entrement

It's not really pasta, it's asian wheat noodles.

Did you stir?

You need to stir. Noodles and pasta are starchy, hence sticky, you need to stir while boiling them.
shadyspace

]

What do you normally eat?
AngmarsKing701
(09-20-2013, 05:24 AM)
Pasta Cake.

You have invented a new dish.

Edit: Put a red sauce "icing" on it and publish your recipe. Instant fame.
Freaky Fred
Banned
lol OP what on Earth did you do?

Get a bigger pot
add more water
stir that shit while it's cooking
drain the water when it's done
if it looks like your picture, throw it away and try again.

did you actually eat this/serve this to other humans? I'm sorry but I've never seen this happen. It looks like you tried to make spaghetti pie.
outunderthestars

Originally Posted by Cornballer

The usual amount I've heard is 4 to 6 quarts of water per pound of pasta. Salt the water heavily.

I thought this was a myth.
Kitsunebaby

You really shouldn't rinse off that starch. It's what helps bind the sauce to the noodles.
Divvy

Originally Posted by entrement

Did you stir?

You need to stir. Noodles and pasta are starchy, hence sticky, you need to stir while boiling them.

Yeah, it's mid-autumn festival so we had people over so I had to cook for more than the usual people. I guess I lost track of the noodles while cooking.
soundscream
ATTN MEN: visually inspect your condom before disposal
(09-20-2013, 05:25 AM)
How do you fuck up pasta?

LOL
ShaneB
(09-20-2013, 05:26 AM)
I have to admit, I was confused as to what the heck the picture even was when you mentioned pasta/noodles.

Originally Posted by CronoShot

I seriously thought that picture was some weird ass cake with pasta underneath.

Ditto.
CronoShot
(09-20-2013, 05:27 AM)
I seriously thought that picture was some weird ass cake with pasta underneath.
Syfadious
(09-20-2013, 05:27 AM)
God almighty.
andymcc
(09-20-2013, 05:28 AM)

Originally Posted by AngmarsKing701

Pasta Cake.

You have invented a new dish.

Edit: Put a red sauce "icing" on it and publish your recipe. Instant fame.

this calls for a pinterest post.
Alcotholic
(09-20-2013, 05:28 AM)
I have so many questions here. Your dish is mystifying.

1. What was your set up for this dish?
2. How long did you let it cook for?
3. Did you really cut it like a cake and eat it?
4. What did it taste like and was the pasta al dente?
5. Could you reenact your dish for us and post it on Youtube?
entrement
(09-20-2013, 05:29 AM)

Yeah, it's mid-autumn festival so we had people over so I had to cook for more than the usual people. I guess I lost track of the noodles while cooking.

Well now you know :)

GAF is brutal lol.
BobbyRoberts
There is no way this shit was accidental.

I refuse to believe.

you wanted to make a pasta pie and post about it on the internet, dude. Which was impressive all on its own. No need to be like "How do I boil water and add noodles, GAF?"

You made a pasta pie. Even if you didn't mean to - act like you did. :)
Cornballer
foul temptress

Originally Posted by outunderthestars

I thought this was a myth.

It helps season (flavor) the pasta. I don't think it does much to change the way it cooks.

I heard that you're not supposed to rinse it because the starch helps the sauce stick to the pasta. The only exception is if you're making something that will be served cold like pasta salad.
Askani

Originally Posted by Kitsunebaby

You really shouldn't rinse off that starch. It's what helps bind the sauce to the noodles.

As long as it's not cold it's fine IMO. Hot Water is still enough to cool it down and help to stop the cooking but doesn't cool it too much and there's still some starch left. That being said, it's also why I use the Barilla Spaghetti Rigati noodle. Ridges! Sauce holders!
Kitsunebaby

Originally Posted by soundscream

How do you fuck up pasta?

LOL

I know, right?

I've been cooking spaghetti since I was 7 years old. It's like the easiest thing you could make.

As long as it's not cold it's fine IMO. Hot Water is still enough to cool it down and help to stop the cooking but doesn't cool it too much and there's still some starch left. That being said, it's also why I use the Barilla Spaghetti Rigati noodle. Ridges! Sauce holders!

Eh, I don't have too much problem with sticking so long as I'm careful when serving it from the colander.

I know what you mean about ridges. Penne rigate is probably my favorite shape because of the perfect chewiness and sauce cling-ability.
Last edited by Kitsunebaby; 09-20-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Sober
(09-20-2013, 05:30 AM)

Yeah this will teach you just cook noodles/pasta long before you ever need them, then when you are hungry, you have extra options.

Rice noodles?

Also as above, always rinse them down. My dad is a criminal and never does that and I always give him shit for that.

I usually edge closer to ice cold water. Any reason not to, unless you plan on eating them soon after? (I still do this and hate myself sometimes though)
CarpeDeezNutz
(09-20-2013, 05:30 AM)
For a split second I thought it was flan.