• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

DieH@rd

Banned
TLDR, best practices for VITA home-based Remote Play:
- try to keep your PS4 connected to router with LAN cable, so its wifi module is free for RP
- direct or router mode, you pick the best for you
- turn off "WiFi power Savings Mode" on Vita, this will drastically increase data transfer quality
- turn on 60fps mode on Vita's PS4 Link app for best performance
- check signal congestion of 2.4GHz WiFi in your apartment/house/room, Vita's WiFi can be switched to the channel that is less congested

introjzkh6.png

Remote Play is a software feature of PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 consoles that allows users to transmit via data feeds audio/video rendering of the game from those consoles to the portable consoles PlayStation PSP, PS Vita and newly announced PS Vita TV [update - and Xperia Z devices, plus all other Android devices via unofficially patched app]. Envisioned as a perfect way to take your home gaming outside stationary limits of your home TV, Remote Play was first introduced in 2006 with PS3 and PSP consoles. Sadly optional nature of this service, technical hurdles that arose because both systems did not have dedicated hardware for its perfect use, low focus of Sony to make it more popularized and technical limitation of the worldwide internet infrastructure left Remote Play as relatively unknown service for years.

Arrival of PS Vita enabled Sony to make Remote Play little better (higher streaming resolution, better lag in few specially supported games), but all the advantages of modern hardware inside of Vita did not manage to fix the problems that were present in PS3. Library of officially supported PS3 Remote Play games never passed number of 40 titles, but from the start, all PS1 games that were emulated on PS3 were Remote Play ready.

Finally, arrival of PlayStation 4 makes the almost decade long vision of Remote Play a reality. With special hardware that can effortlessly save and encode video streams, and Vita that can easily decode it on the fly, Remote Play became standard feature of the PS4 OS. This service is available to be used on all non-camera or motion based games, so almost entire library of PS4 games is covered. Whether if you are in your home but unable to access your TV, or if you are away from home but in presence of fast Wi-Fi, you can access your PS4 console via any supported Remote Play device and control it OS, multimedia, friend list, store, apps and off course games. All of that will be transmitted to you least amount of lag possible (*large amount of lag is possible when using Remote Play via external network), taking full advantage from Sony hardware and software help from Gaikai.

psp-whatwentwronghjoad.png

ps3-whatwentwrongecjut.png

ps4andvita-whatwentrimnkw4.png

previewsa6kqd.png

Destructoid - "It never missed a beat. Perfectly tight, no hiccups."
GamesRadar - "RemotePlay with PS Vita TV is a lagless, slightly compressed experience"
Engadget - "There was zero perceptible lag between PlayStation 4 on-screen action and what we were inputting on the Vita"

youtubebfkr3.png

Gamersyde 1080p60 Remote Play video - http://www.gamersyde.com/news_tgs_knack_gameplay-14649_en.html
Engadget @ TGS 2013 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzVT5APO6Sk&hd=1
IGN @ TGS 2013 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TmlgVTMKgM&hd=1
VitaTV @ TGS 2013 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIpgCmsxNV8&hd=1
Remote Play @ Gamescom pressonf - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqoXZUVqEqo&hd=1
Official Vita TV promo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ata90Y92UeI&hd=1
A day with Playstation promo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abRveeP_PzM&hd=1

howtosetupremoteplayxwrgh.png

rpdirectconnectionlpk03.png

rphouserouterxtjem.png

rpinternetp6j1a.png

faqjlk5d.png

Q: Tell me very quickly, what is PS4 Remote Play?
A: Remote Play transforms your PS4 into your own local cloud gaming server that can be accessed by PC, Mac, Vita, Vita TV and Android devices, both at home and when you are away.

Q: What Android devices are supported?
A:
Officially only range of Xperia Z devices [smarpthoens and tablets]. Touchscreen controls are present, but Sony demands that only DualShock4 can be linked. 60fps RP is supported on Android devices.

Q: How can I access Remote Play on my PC/Mac?
A:
Via official PC/Mac application. Dualshock 4 is nedded [either wired or wireless via official Bluetooth adapter]. Maximum supported resolution is 720p60 on base PS4 and 1080p60 on PS4 Pro.

Q: Are non-Xperia devices supported in any way?
A:
Officially not. Unofficially, any 2.2+ Android device can sideload Remote Play app and root is not needed. More info @ XDA.

Q: What PS4 games can I play with Remote Play?
A: Almost all of them! Only motion/camera based games are not supported.

Q: How can I make my VITA Remote Play experience in home as best as possible?
A: 1. Use Direct Connection between PS4 and Vita (they both have their own WiFi modules). You can use home routers, but one additional "hop" will possibly introduce latency. Many users who have HQ routers reported no problems with using them.
2. Turn off WiFi Power Settings on your Vita. By default its turned ON, and then Vita's WiFi module is always working in slower low-power mode.
3. It is HIGHLY desirable to connect PS4 to internet via LAN cable. That frees up PS4's WiFi module to only working with Vita.
4. If you really have to connect PS4 and router via WiFi or use RP via router, try updating your router to latest firmware and turn off its QoS (Quality of Service, intentional throttling of some types of data transfers).
5. If there is too many 2.4GHz WiFi connections in your environment that are causing interference, try switching the wirelesses channel usage in your router/Vita settings.
6. For gaming over internet, you need to have Remote Play ports opened on your router. Put either entire PS4 connection into DMZ, engage uPNP or open these ports.
7. If you have your old PS3 still active, TURN OFF its Remote Play feature. It may cause conflicts with PS4 RP.
8. If nothing helps, try starting remote play after plugging out HDMI cable from PS4. If this proves to help you, the cause of the interference is HDCP content protection system!!! You can turn it off if PS4 settings!

Many gaffers have used these techniques to make their RP experience at home very enjoyable.

9. Update - Enable 60fps streaming mode for lower control latency and smoother gameplay [even for 30fps titles].
10. Update - Changing WiFi security from "TKIP" to "AES" on your router can remove some connectivity problems.

Q: Can I play PS3 games on supported Remote Play devices?
A: PS4 does not have PS3 emulator, for both disc-based and downloadable PSN games. Selection of “critically acclaimed” PS3 games is offered via cloud gaming service PlayStation Now in NA territories. PSNow has standalone app for PS3, PS4, Vita and newer Bravia television sets.

Q: My PS3 is loud when I shut it down in "wait for to be awaken by Vita/PSP" mode! Will PS4 be the same?
A: At launch, PS4 can be shut down completely or put in Rest Mode where small background processor is using very little power [Ars Tehnica - 10W], monitoring your PSN status, downloading patches and awaiting command from PS Vita remote play app to be awaken. In this mode PS4 is making zero noise. After PS4 firmware 2.50, PS4 can preserve game state in Rest Mode. This means that you can always pause and resume gaming whenever you want, on whatever supported device you want.

Q: What about missing buttons on Vita? L2/R2 and L3/R3?
A: Sony is mandating that developers must create Vita control scheme before their PS4 game can pass certification. Those buttons can be placed on touchpad/touchscreen. Vita emulators of PSP and PS1 game systems have several control schemes, and even one user-customizable scheme.

Q: Remote Play on PS3 used lower resolutions (270p on PSP and 480p on Vita). Will PS4 offer better image quality?
A: Yes. Vita will receive video in its full native resolution of 544p and Vita TV in 720p.

Q: Is Remote Play stream quality good?
A: On Vita is great, but on VitaTV you will be able to spot compression and upscaling artifacting (journalist described it like "watching 1080p YouTube video on your big HDTV).

Q: I like 60 fps PS4 games. Will Remote Play stream on Vita and Vita TV be in 30 or 60 fps?
A: March 2015 UPDATE - PS4 fw 2.50 and Vita fw 3.50 have enabled 60fps Remote Play streaming! To enable 60fps stream go into Settings of Vita's Remote Play app. During 60fps RP sessions, Game DVR will not be active.

Q: Can I use Dualshock 4 Share Button capability while Remote Play is active?
A: Yes, its accessed by pressing Select button on your Vita. GameDVR and screenshot taking option is present, but broadcasting is not.

Q: Can I use my PS4 with Remote Play like my Wii U, totally without HDTV?
A: Yes… HOWEVER you need to attach PS4 to TV with HDMI port once for its first boot, setting up of accounts and pairing up PS4 and Vita. After that you can fully control PS4 with Vita or Vita TV.

Q: Is Remote Play laggy in home conditions?
A: Remote Play has a great functionality inside your home. Its fast and snappy, and if your TV has a big display lag, Remote Play may even have same or faster response time than your TV. WiFi interference from multiple wireless devices or saturation of your WiFi channels may cause stuttering or loss of connection. 60fps RP mode reduces latency.

Q: Is Remote Play laggy when playing away from home via Internet?
A: Lag outside home will be impacted by the quality of Internet infrastructure, distance from your home, and quality of WiFi in the place you want to establish Remote Play connection. Comprehensive testing of this type of Remote Play connection will be performed after PS4 launch. At lower distances (up to 50km), additional lag should be acceptable in good conditions (non-crowded router at the end). Early reports mention that playing outside home can give excellent experience.

Q: Can I hotspot my 4G connection with smartphone and connect Vita to that WiFi network?
A: Yes, but don’t expect low lag. However if your phone/tablet can produce stable internet connection with 30-45ms of lag, then slower paced games will be playable Please be aware that all cellular internet connections can produce large variation in connection speed and latency.

Q: How is PS4 Remote Play combating latency?
A: Integrated PS4 hardware for fast video encoding, fast controller data transfer from Vita, fast video decoding by Vita, minimal display lag from Vita screen (large amount of gameplay latency on home consoles comes from HDTV displays), and software techniques provided by Gaikai (both on PS4 and Vita end). 60fps RP mode reduces latency.

Q: What additional gear (routers, modems, cables, access points) do I need to use Remote Play at home?
A: Nothing! PS4, Vita and Vita TV have their own Wi-Fi modules for local wireless communication.

Q: I am an offline gamer (or my internet upload sucks), do I get to use Remote Play?
A: Yes. Remote Play is not requiring you to have Internet if you want to use it only in your home.

Q: Does Remote Play require PS+ subscription?
A: Nope.

Q: What’s the transmission distance of PS4’s Remote Play at home?
A: We don’t have tests, but 10m should be achievable even with 1 wall in between you and PS4.

Q: How fast upload speed do I need for my home internet connection to play Remote Play away from home?
A: Gaffers reported Remote Play working fine without data loss with 5 mbit of upload at home.

Q: Can I play PS4 game via Remote Play and at the same time broadcast my playtrough over the internet?
A: No. Internal video scaler is busy with providing fast video stream to Vita/VitaTV.

Q: PS3 shuts down its main HDTV feed when Remote Play was active. Is the same true for PS4?
A: No. PS4 is keeping HDTV feed active while Vita or Vita TV are using Remote Play. Gameplay is mirrored on all devices.

Q: Does this mean that I can use Vita as controller even if I am gaming in front of my big HDTV?
A: Yes. However you first need to do initial one-time setup of Remote Play with regular gamepad.

Q: Can I play 2-4 coop game with players on the PS4 and Vita/VitaTV?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I play online multiplayer with Remote Play?
A: Yes.

Q: Can I wake up PS4 from sleep remotely via Vita or Vita TV?
A: Yes. If you have active game session saved in Suspend mode, you can continue playing that session on your Vita without problems.

Q: Can I access my PS4 OS usin Remote Play, browse livestreams of my friends and join in their multiplayer matches?
A:
Yes.

Q: Enough with games. Will all OS features be streamed to my Vita and Vita TV?
A: The only things that will not work are some 3rd party apps whose developers don’t allow remote stream compatibility, also streaming multimedia or physical multimedia (Blu-Ray discs that are inserted in PS4 drive) that has strict digital protection.

Q: Enough with talk. Show me faked GIFs of PS4 games running on Vita!
A: No problem:

Killzone: Shadow Fall intro http://i.minus.com/iIbdlh4bVc7xS.gif
Killzone: Shadow Fall MP http://i.minus.com/ibpnsvlEYNSyRr.gif
Destiny http://i.minus.com/i7QgttdK3NUar.gif
Drive Club http://i.minus.com/ieiAnHprzY0rT.gif
Witcher 3 http://i.minus.com/i2GigPNx2M3B5.gif
Deep Down http://a.pomf.se/0Ix4.gif

If anyone has any information that needs to be in OP, leave post in this thread or contact me... in the meantime:
witcher-in-tub8bqgg.gif

ib1UkayUQFl6sk.gif

Liamario

Banned
Well done OP. No doubt these questions will still be raised by those who are too lazy to look; but you've done all anyone can, short of visiting their homes and showing them.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I don't think you can use a wire for remote play. This thread is kind of premature to be honest

Maybe that's for Vita TV?

Edit: Re-read it, I think it just means connection to the router

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone confirm if PS3 with direct connection to Vita can use its WiFi module to connect to the web [no LAN cable attached]? I think that PS3 dedicates entire WiFi module just for Remote Play in that case.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
rphouserouter6cjcw.png

What's the basis for "lag problems if you use 802.11g router"?

And please don't cite the Nvidia Shield Digital Foundry article because they changed several variables, which means it wasn't sufficiently isolated.

am still skeptical until proven otherwise.

but if it works as it should i can see myself buying multiplatform games on ps4 instead of my better pc.

hope this works if the internet is down though, like locally.

You're missing probably the main reason PS3/PSP remote play wasn't used often - in order to check that the video encoding wasn't causing issues for a game, it had to pass a second round of certification just for remote play. This took time and cost money, and caused most publishers to pass.

bebop242

good info and good job on the OT. This needed to be done, there are a lot of misconceptions in regards to remote play.

jwk94

Can you add this to the op? Shuhei yoshida confirmed that you can still use local multi-player if someone using doing remote play

DieH@rd

Banned
rphouserouter6cjcw.png

What's the basis for "lag problems if you use 802.11g router"?

And please don't cite the Nvidia Shield Digital Foundry article because they changed several variables, which means it wasn't sufficiently isolated.

Well that... and also personal experience of a friend who changed home routers and PS3>Vita RP got little better. Maybe it was not really related to standard, maybe it was settings in the routers. If you want I can remove mentions of n/g standard from the OT.

Can you add this to the op? Shuhei yoshida confirmed that you can still use local multi-player if someone using doing remote play
link?

hope this works if the internet is down though, like locally.

Remote Play at home is not requiring Internet.

Fantastic OP DieH@rd!

This thread was really needed, reading through the impressions thread was very painful considering the amount of either outdated or just wrong opinions about remote play.

Has to be probably my most anticipated feature of PS4 (as well as game suspension), gonna feel so free not being restricted to having to have access to my living room TV considering my wife watches a lot of films etc.

Looks good, but this thread really isn't necessary until closer to the PS4 launch.

I say its needed, this could sway someone to buying the system that may not have been convinced quite yet.

benny_a

If you want I can remove mentions of n/g standard from the OT.
I just think it should include only confirmed or well reasoned speculation. The n/g stuff I don't feel is that. There are many factors and we'll probably only know a bit after launch what's the best setup when it comes to interference, standards and stuff like that.

Just as a comparison I think arguing that LAN remote play will work better than internet remote play is completely justified due to the additional hops and inconsistency in the real world. :p

hwy_61

Banned
Hey guys, quick question:

American here.

I've never imported anything, but I'm seriously considering doing so for a VitaTV. What do I need to know about dealing with a Japanese VitaTV? I don't know how to speak any Japanese.

Thanks, and great OT, OP.

Can someone confirm if PS3 with direct connection to Vita can use its WiFi module to connect to the web [no LAN cable attached]? I think that PS3 dedicates entire WiFi module just for Remote Play in that case.

Yes, I did a test on this a few weeks back. Wireless off, no ethernet plugged in - remote play still worked through what it deemed "ad hoc."

But I'm not sure that we can make the jump in logic that this is the case with the PS4 until someone at Sony says so or we get our hands on it.

DieH@rd

Banned
If you dont mind paying $50 more [+shipping], you can get one from Play Asia.
http://www.play-asia.com/playstation-vita-tv-paOS-13-49-en-70-726d.html

There is no region locking for hw and sw.

Yes, I did a test on this a few weeks back. Wireless off, no ethernet plugged in - remote play still worked through what it deemed "ad hoc."

When you create such direct connection to Vita, can PS3 still connect to the web its own WiFi module? Or does PS3 require that you need LAN cable for web then?

Arttemis

Awesome OT! I can't even describe how excited I am for the universal, native Remote Play support between Vita and PS4.

My wife talked me into buying one on launch day as we were out of town and I had been going on and on about how great it would be to play my favorite games while she could watch TV. I specifically wanted a Vita because I was hoping essentially all PS3 games from that point forward would begin supporting it regularly. That definitely didn't happen, but with a PS+ membership, I was at least satisfied owning it.

Reading about the negligible latency has me so pumped for next gen!

Edit - Seems like this capability really came through beyond what most expected!

I'm currently holding out for a PS4, but I'm considering waiting for an internal revision as well as a Vita 3000, because if they add 5GHz wifi to both, the connection is sure to be even smoother.

Vashetti

Banned
Nice to see the errors fixed, great thread :)

It was only a day or so ago I wished there was this thread, so much misinformation being spread about

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow, this latest RP video from Gamespot is really great. Guy who plays it really knows how to control Knack, great fights.

jwk94

Well that... and also personal experience of a friend who changed home routers and PS3>Vita RP got little better. Maybe it was not really related to standard, maybe it was settings in the routers. If you want I can remove mentions of n/g standard from the OT.

link?

Remote Play at home is not requiring Internet.

jGqsF6p3gXPvA.PNG

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/381235215558914048

I assume this will not work with disc-based games.

They will. Remote Play just streams the videos feed to your PS Vita. So you still have access to all the PS4's features thus allowing you to play disc and/or digital games.

androvsky

But I'm not sure that we can make the jump in logic that this is the case with the PS4 until someone at Sony says so or we get our hands on it.
I'm not sure if that answers the question - when using remote play directly connected to the PS3 via wifi, could you use the web browser, for example, if the PS3 doesn't have an ethernet connection?

Ploid 3.0

I was just wishing that I could play gta5 anywhere in my house. PSV will be vital to my PS4. I still want PSV TV more, maybe I'll have both.

benny_a

le sigh, all fixed, mentions of 802.11g/n removed
The text on the PSP and PS3 images now use the background color for the GAF dark theme. It's unreadable. :p

I'm curious, who actually does this?
I have my PS3 connected via Ethernet and will have my PS4 connected via Ethernet as well. Ethernet used to be the way to connect devices a few years ago.

androvsky

I'm curious, who actually does this?
You mean use ethernet to connect their PS3/4 to the internet? Seems pretty sensible to me, especially for the PS3. And that leaves the console's wifi free to handle remote play, it gives the best results all around.

VanWinkle

Very nice. I have to say, though, the wording "non Camera or Move based games" might cause some confusion from people who will say "Well, Driveclub uses the camera, will that work?" or "Octodad has Move support, does that mean it won't work?" I understand what you're saying, but perhaps better wording might create less confusion. Something like "It works for all games that do not strictly REQUIRE the use of the Playstation camera or Move."

When you create such direct connection to Vita, can PS3 still connect to the web its own WiFi module? Or does PS3 require that you need LAN cable for web then?

I don't know how I would test that since the PS3 goes to a black screen saying that remote play is in use. Or do you mean use the Vita remote playing to fire up the browser and connect to something? Does the browser even work with remote play?

I have a few minutes before I go to work, I'll fuck around with it and report what I find.

Top Bottom