• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
beautiful as ever

3Uv.png

4Uv.png

Huh...looks better than Bloomwaker...

As for Xenoblade working/not working debate, I only got it to work for a little bit perfectly before problems started coming up in the audio after playing it a bit. Restarting would resolve the problem until it came up again, but bleh, it just killed the momentum I had so I just said fuck it.

If someone can confirm 4.0 works flawlessly with it, I might jump back in.

Huh...looks better than Bloomwaker...

As for Xenoblade working/not working debate, I only got it to work for a little bit perfectly before problems started coming up in the audio after playing it a bit. Restarting would resolve the problem until it came up again, but bleh, it just killed the momentum I had so I just said fuck it.

If someone can confirm 4.0 works flawlessly with it, I might jump back in.

Haven't played long enough, but this latest build seemingly fixes all the audio crackling / issues I had before. (i5 750 / OSX)

DedValve

Banned
The question is can I FINALLY finish Pikmin and Wind Waker (pikmin 2 can't get past the credits and Wind Waker crashes when I finally meet the boat)?

But fuck yeah.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Ugh. Stop putting app data in the my documents folder developers. *internet rage*

Blame Microsoft for this, not developers, UAC has made this almost always necessary.

I've always used the x64 builds but I've always wondered, is there any point to using the x64 version over the x86?
Is the x64 version of Dolphin actually faster?
I know x64 allows applications to use large amounts of ram but gc and wii games aren't exactly hungry for it.

OpenGL being the fastest backend, the Linux CPU optimizations and the HLE audio and surround sound improvements are the best new additions in this release. Can't wait to try it out.

Malajax

Is there any way to play GameCube and Wii games on Dolphin that doesn't require modding my Wii?

If you have an extremely specific kind of DVD drive that can read/rip wii games on PC, you can go that route. There's a list on the official website iirc.

Otherwise, you might be SOL. I should say that modding your wii is a painless procedure these days. Takes like 5 min.

DogMeat77

Oh sweet. I didn't realize the new version came out. I hope this fixes some of the audio issues I was having.

I love a reason to replay some of my old Wii games while removing the fugly from them.

So, no more Skies of Arcadia slowdowns.
HLE seems to be working as good as LLE (but faster).

The FPS are very stable now.
Amazing work!

And did I miss something or does the devs really included a native LLE plugin into the emulator?
When I tried LLE, it didn't ask me for the DSP files.

Garteal

I've always used the x64 builds but I've always wondered, is there any point to using the x64 version over the x86?
Is the x64 version of Dolphin actually faster?
I know x64 allows applications to use large amounts of ram but gc and wii games aren't exactly hungry for it.
64bits supports 16 GPR and 16 XMM registers as opposed to 8 in 32bits. Dolphin also doesn't support fastmem on 32bits which can have an improvement of 10-15% in performance.

And did I miss something or does the devs really included a native LLE plugin into the emulator?
When I tried LLE, it didn't ask me for the DSP files.
Yes. They've been distributing the reverse-engineered DSP files for a while now. You don't need to dump your DSP anymore, except for a number of games.

64bits supports 16 GPR and 16 XMM registers as opposed to 8 in 32bits. Dolphin also doesn't support fastmem on 32bits which can have an improvement of 10-15% in performance.

Yes. They've been distributing the reverse-engineered DSP files for a while now. You don't need to dump your DSP anymore, except for a number of games.

Oh, thanks for clearing that up!

Rogue Leader isn't really "playable" but this branch https://dolphin-emu.org/download/list/zfreeze/1/ with these settings https://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/issues/detail?id=3334#c71 can at least get you in game and fixes the rendering distance. The FPS fluctuates a lot in the 30-high40s (on a 2500k @ 4.4), audio stutters, lighting flickers, so it's a... functional experience at best. But you can get some pretty pictures out of it =P

I eagerly await the day RS3 can boot!

Edit: Heh, Garteal said as much on the first page -_-, but yeah!

It seems to have fixed the coloring on the characters issues I was having in Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid Other M on OSX. However it seems I have to run all these games at a lower resolution now and they are slowing down a lot wheras on the previous build I had found stable settings.

the most egregious of these is Xenoblade which I could play at the highest graphics settings and on 4.0 I had to downgrade the resolution considerably and am still getting tons of slowdown :-(

Grief.exe

New AX DSP HLE emulation code

DSP HLE is the main audio emulation technique used in Dolphin. Before 4.0, it was extremely inaccurate and full of bugs, mostly due to how it was implemented. Dolphin 4.0 introduces a full rewrite of the audio emulation used in 99% of games, fixing hundreds of audio related bugs in Dolphin. On the flip side, it is now required to run a game at full speed to get full speed audio out of it, which is a direct consequence of fixing these bugs.

This sounds huge.

No. SCP is not related to MotionInJoy in any way. Better DS3 relies on the MotionInJoy drivers. You'll only need the download from the page I gave you before.

Hmm, ok. So I installed it, but my DS3 won't sync wirelessly. When I plug it in with USB it works fine, but it will not use the Bluetooth adapter (I unplugged the one dedicated to WiiMote usage). You said before maybe it is not supported, but I could add support? I assume I just add the I'd number to a certain list in a file somewhere, like I did for my WiiMote adapter to install the Toshiba stack. But I don't know where that file could be, and when I look in device manager, the only Bluetooth entry is "Bluetooth RFCOMM". And when I go to Properties>Details>Hardware IDs, all I see is "rootBluetooth_com". My motherboard is a P8Z68-V Pro, and I've been searching for a way to find out the built in Bluetooth's ID. If you could tell me where to add the ID to the list that would help a lot. Right now I'm installing the default motherboard drivers to try to sniff out the ID.

For those of you using project m 2.6 on the new 4.0, you should upgrade to project m 2.6b.

2.6b gets rid of snake's tendancy to crash the game at the victory screen, and reduces audio bugs and gameplay stuttering that come with using 2.6 on 4.0.

However, everything sounds like an echo chamber in dolphin 4.0. It's kinda weird.

clem84

Gold Member
It's amazing that Rogue Leader still isn't playable. What is it about this game? I remember it was one of the best looking game on GC... maybe it was pushing it in some unorthodox way to achieve those graphics.

Garteal

Hmm, ok. So I installed it, but my DS3 won't sync wirelessly. When I plug it in with USB it works fine, but it will not use the Bluetooth adapter (I unplugged the one dedicated to WiiMote usage). You said before maybe it is not supported, but I could add support? I assume I just add the I'd number to a certain list in a file somewhere, like I did for my WiiMote adapter to install the Toshiba stack. But I don't know where that file could be, and when I look in device manager, the only Bluetooth entry is "Bluetooth RFCOMM". And when I go to Properties>Details>Hardware IDs, all I see is "rootBluetooth_com". My motherboard is a P8Z68-V Pro, and I've been searching for a way to find out the built in Bluetooth's ID. If you could tell me where to add the ID to the list that would help a lot. Right now I'm installing the default motherboard drivers to try to sniff out the ID.
Your built-in Bluetooth should be supported according to this post.
What OS are you running and what is the output when you install the drivers? (Feel free to install it again to see the output, it won't break anything).

I ran into the same issue myself and eventually just ticked Force Install (using Windows 8.1 Pro here) and after a reboot, the Bluetooth worked perfectly.

Did they ever fix the wiimote speaker emulation? Played Fatal Frame 2 Wii most recently using dolphin and it was great for the most part(could even remove that awful mini map!) but the wiimote speaker usage was completely broken.

Garteal

Who would want to use single core anyway, I guess.

I wonder if any of the Resident Evil games run any better at all.
Single Core is essential for Netplay to avoid desyncs. There are also a number of games that require Single Core to avoid crashes and the like.

Lijik

Man its too bad Mario Sunshine at a high resolution is still practically unplayable thanks to the heat effect

Elija2

Can local multiplayer games be played online? I don't really pay attention to this emulator so that may have already been a feature. I'm just imagining playing New Super Mario Bros. Wii online with others. Emu devs doing what Nintendon't.

EDIT: I'm laughing at the reviews of the Android version complaining about games not working or running too slow. What did people expect? It says right in the description that no Android devices will run it well.

Your built-in Bluetooth should be supported according to this post.
What OS are you running and what is the output when you install the drivers? (Feel free to install it again to see the output, it won't break anything).

I ran into the same issue myself and eventually just ticked Force Install (using Windows 8.1 Pro here) and after a reboot, the Bluetooth worked perfectly.

This is after ticking Force-install, I rebooted afterwards to check, and it works when plugged in USB, but when I take the cord out it just blinks endlessly. :(

SCP Bluetooth Driver Installer 1.0.0.103 [9/22/2013 1:13:13 PM]

Detected - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (6.1.7601.65536 AMD64)
Selected WIN7 configuration.

INFO - ENTER: DriverPackageInstallW
INFO - Looking for Model Section [SCProductions.NTamd64]...
INFO - Installing INF file 'C:\Program Files\Scarlet.Crush Productions\bin\System\ScpVBus.inf' (Plug and Play).
INFO - Installing devices with Id "root\ScpVBus" using INF "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\scpvbus.inf_amd64_neutral_21ca245c0e23d7a5\scpvbus.inf".
INFO - Will force install because driver is not better and force flag is set.
INFO - ENTER UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices...
SUCCESS - RETURN UpdateDriverForPlugAndPlayDevices.
INFO - Installation was successful.
SUCCESS - Install completed
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0x0)
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)
INFO - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)

Install Succeeded. [Reboot Required]

-- Install Summary --
Bus Driver

no differences on my PC playing Galaxy 2

Core i5 @3.5 with Turbo Boost,4 GB ram, GTX 460

Audio still fucked with HLE, and giving same speed as previous official build.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I spent almost 2 hours trying to get my Wiimote with built-in motion plus working. Finally managed to find some really good instructions and got it all set up. Booted up Skyward Sword and it worked flawlessly.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the guide on this computer. When I get home, I'll go to my history and find it.

Syf

Banned
Hell yeah, giving it a try now. Hoping this one runs Metroid Prime a lot better than the last one I tried.

Top Bottom