• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD rep: Radeon R9 290X running with Mantle API will "ridicule" Titan in Battlefied 4

DieH@rd

Banned
New news, new thread:

We had a chance to sit down with AMD Product Manager Devon Nekechuck to see how AMD’s new top dog R9 290X stacks up against the green team’s best single-GPU offering. According to Nekechuck, even though the R9 290X uses a 438 square mm die, which is significantly smaller than the Titan’s 550 sq. mm GK110 offering, it “will definitely compete with the GTX 780 and Titan.” When we asked what this means in real-world terms, he stated, “with Battlefield 4 running with Mantel (AMD’s new graphics API), the card will be able to ‘ridicule’ the Titan in terms of performance.”

When we asked him what he meant by “ridicule,” he simply stated that it will run Battlefield 4 “much faster than the Titan.” Again, this is provided that you run the game using AMD's Mantel API
, which is set to launch in December.
more @ http://www.maximumpc.com/amd_r9_290x_will_be_much_faster_titan_battlefield_4

So, running in normal DirectX, new AMD singlechip flagship will probably be between GTX780 and Titan, but with Mantle API it will be "much faster than Titan". That's great news, especially since 290X is speculated to cost around 599$ [GTX780 is $650, Titan is $1000).

Official price and release date of 290X is for now unknown, but pre-orders starts on Oct 3.

Mesoian

0.jpg

More interested to see how it runs Titanfall.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
providing you use AMD's mantel is a no-brainer surely? You'll use whatever gets the best out of the system.

that will make for much more polarising benchmarks than before I guess - mantle games will shine but normal DX games will be closer in performance to 780/titan

FGMPR

Banned
I hope its true. I haven't bought an AMD card since my old Radeon 9800 pro, but they have definitely made things interesting with this announcement.

LevityNYC

Banned
point of diminishing returns.

400 bucks for a ps4 or 800 bucks for a video card to run games where you need to sit 4 inches from the screen to notice a difference.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

400 bucks for a ps4 or 800 bucks for a video card to run games where you need to sit 4 inches from the screen to notice a difference.

or just poke your eyes out with a spoon - really cheap and then you can play BF4 on a 3DS and it'll look great

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

Nope; pretty sure I can easily tell the difference between 30fps, 60fps, and 120fps at more than four inches away.

Pretty sure I can notice lack of quality AA from several feet away.

Positive I'll enjoy better effects and whatnot when games are developed around them.

Brofist

I guess you'll have to sit 4 inches from the TV to see the differences from the PS3 to the PS4 if your eyesight is that shitty.

Where's the 7950 replacement in the new line up.?

We go from the R9 270 (basically equal to an old 7870 XT, which was a cut down 7950) then jump to a R9 280 ( a 7970 replacement).

Obviously there will be performance improvements on each new card over the old..but there still seems to be something missing.

mephixto

Banned
AMD: "Hey guys got the benchmarks of BF4 using the 290X on DirectX"
PR: "And?"
AMD: "No difference, sometimes at high res we score lower"
PR: "Sh1t, what now?"
AMD: "No worries, now we make some propietary API and fck Nvidia"

Mr.Mike

Its supposedly open platform, so Windows/Linux/Mac. As for GPU support, API is tightly optimized only for AMD GCN arhitecture, so only 7000 series an R200.

And presumably all AMD cards going forward.

I'll be interested to see what Nvida puts forward in response to this. I expect that most games will still be DirectX or OpenGL, and only the most graphically intense AAA games will bother with Mantle and Nvidia's response to mantle in the first place. Maybe this will lead to a new definition/understaning of what a AAA game is, or we'll see quadruple A to describe games that go this far to optimize for graphics.

kartu

Banned
Multi-plats will tend to favor AMD, if this Mantle thing succeeds, GPU market share will follow.
nVidia can't rewind time and win console contracts.

On top of it "8 core CPU" would be a norm to program game for, which again favors AMD.

AMD: "Hey guys got the benchmarks of BF4 using the 290X on DirectX"
PR: "And?"
AMD: "No difference, sometimes at high res we score lower"
PR: "Sh1t, what now?"
AMD: "No worries, now we make some propietary API and fck Nvidia"

Why would that be a problem though? Smaller die size, so cheaper to manufacture and likely less power hungry, considerably lower price, plus extra features like those "audio pipelines" on top of "most new games will be optimized for CGN"

On top of it "8 core CPU" would be a norm to program game for, which again favors AMD.

Only if you believe current AMD CPU's are a 'genuine' 8 cores...there's a reason why an '8 core' AMD CPU only gets the same scores as a proper 4 Core Intel CPU in most benchmarks.

Raistlin

If mantle is used for consoles as well, this does have a chance to take off.

This also has very interesting implications for SteamBox.

DieH@rd

Banned

Atomski

can only certain cards run mantle?

This was in the other thread from Techspot

We've been told at the GPU14 Tech Day event that the Mantle API is open, so theoretically Nvidia could purpose the technology in their GPUs. It should also make cross-development between PC and console games a lot easier, and also more incredible for those with a high-performance AMD GPU.

More information on Mantle will be available at the AMD Developer Summit in November.

Top Bottom