• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

ghostmind

Alright, I have $350 alotted Christmas money to spend on myself. I am getting R2D2 for sure. So that is 180 gone. 170 to spend still. What do I spend it on?

My list of possibilities are:

79109 Colby City Showdown
10226 Sopwith Camel
31012 Family House
60026 Town Square
79105 Baxter Robot Rampage

Obviously I want all these sets. But which should I go with during double VIP? Also take into consideration that I will be getting 10235 Winter Village Market on brick Friday. I also plan on getting city advent calendar, but should I wait until after Christmas to get it cheaper?

Is 79109 Colby City Showdown worth the $50?

At this point, I wouldn't pay that much for Colby City. If it isn't on clearance now, it will be soon I think.

Of these sets, I would go for the Town Square, Baxter (since it is a TRU exclusive otherwise) or the Sopwith Camel (since it doesn't look like 10,000 series sets are going on sale, save for perhaps on Bridck Friday).

Greetings from Seattle. BrickCon 2013.

Q2G15SRl.jpg

wetwired

Okay, a few questions about this one:

1. How stable and secure is that track as it runs a spiral? Just doing a small curve elevated on my diorama didn't seem that stable, so I am curious if something like this could actually sustain a train moving on it. From the looks of it it is not meant to do that, but it gets my mind racing.

2: Is this a roller coaster? I see a motor at the back of the display. So is it raising a car up the middle then sending it on a ride down the tracks? I would love to see this thing in motion if that is the case.

3. All that black mast rigging used on the fence. With Siegfried (i think it was him) talking about how expensive those pieces are lately, that is one pricey (and great looking) fence. :)

Thank you for the pics. Some amazing stuff on display.

That is indeed a working roller coaster, I'll try and get a video if it action today (last day)

Really enjoyed this SHiP. Would love to see more.

That guy had to pack up yesterday (he also did all that WW2 military stuff), He's a doctor and had to get back to work today.

I also went to the Seattle Brickcon a little earlier today. Bought a few minifigs I wanted (Mr. Freeze and Doctor Doom) and looked around a bit.

Some custom made minifigs. I really wanted Rouge, but they were all $25 which is way too much even for a custom.

A very cool, very large robo kitty.

A very cool looking Cthulhu.

And finally my favorite set I saw: Giant Squid vs. Super Star Destroyer. Hilarious, creative, and it looked great.

So, over the past week or so I was working on the time lapse video for Red Five Sex Wing, but hit a point where I was trying to figure out how to place the camera and still get the full model in view at all times. After a day or two of trying to get a set up that worked and didn't annoy my wife any more, I just gave up and finished the model.

TLDR: No time lapse Red Five Sex Wing video for you!

However, the main point of it, to rebuild the set and reevaluate its merits, were successful. A masterful set. Definitely a top 5 this year for me. I said in May it was my #1, but Hive Crawler supplanted it. After a revisit to both, Hive Crawler still reigns. But Red Five still hangs tough. Especially for the main body of the ship.

I finished up Jabba's Palace last night.

Overall the build was exceedingly dull. The "sliding" aspects (front door, Jabba's slab and the trap door) are well implemented but the nothing else grabbed me. I don't think it looks particularly nice as a display piece either.

I honestly feel like I paid $150 for seven minifigures...and it may have been worth it. All of the figures are incredible and they've pretty much guaranteed that I'll get the Rancor Pit and stupid Sail Barge later this month. I'm an idiot.

Salacious Crumb! Is he worth $150 alone? Perhaps.

I'm a huge fan of the Jabba mold. You can practically hear him laughing to himself.

Most importantly...BOUSHH!

My daughter and I compared some of the figures...

She called this one "baby pig"

Started the Haunted House. Through all the #1 bags. Mighty impressive. Like the details so far. Stuff in jars is something I would have never thought of and i love the table for the note.

Started the Haunted House. Through all the #1 bags. Mighty impressive. Like the details so far. Stuff in jars is something I would have never thought of and i love the table for the note.

Bag #1 is the only real criticism I will level at that set. In other sets, those details would not be built until they were added to the interior. Instead, with HH you set them aside for a long time until randomly you need them, and sometimes without warning.

But if you loved bag #1, prepare for mind blowage for the rest of the set.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
So wait until after Christmas to buy the city advent calendar? I will be able to get it cheaper then correct?

ghostmind

So wait until after Christmas to buy the city advent calendar? I will be able to get it cheaper then correct?

If you don't care about opening them every day leading up to Christmas then yes, wait. I think last year they went on sale even before Christmas, so keep an eye on the Deals section of S@H. I think retail waits until Christmas is over to put them on sale.

I'll be getting the CITY and Star Wars calendars before December, as I have in previous years, so that my son and I can open one each day before Christmas. He was just asking me about them the other day, as I know he looks forward to it.

If you don't care about opening them every day leading up to Christmas then yes, wait. I think last year they went on sale even before Christmas, so keep an eye on the Deals section of S@H. I think retail waits until Christmas is over to put them on sale.

I'll be getting the CITY and Star Wars calendars before December, as I have in previous years, so that my son and I can open one each day before Christmas. He was just asking me about them the other day, as I know he looks forward to it.
Many places mark them down before Christmas. I think it was around Black Friday weekend that BN had them for 50% off in their stores for a few days. Almost snagged the Star Wars one for Santa Maul, but didnt.

ghostmind

Many places mark them down before Christmas. I think it was around Black Friday weekend that BN had them for 50% off in their stores for a few days. Almost snagged the Star Wars one for Santa Maul, but didnt.

I stand corrected. Hopefully I can find a good deal on them before December.

@Rodney Next time we should have GAF meet-up! I saw that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea Star Destroyer at Portland BrickCon earlier this year and love it also.

Warning: Photo bomb incoming.

This is the most impressive set I saw today, LEGO replica of Revendell

BrickCon 2013 by antiquegamer, on Flickr

I love this space ship

The brick work on the fins is just amazing.

ghostmind

That Venator is a thing of beauty.

And regarding wetwired's pics - Bananas in Pajamas!

That Giant Squid (Octopus?) vs the SSD is great!

Arrived back to California from New York earlier this afternoon and decided to tackle the Farnsworth House. F all of those tiny 1x1 flat white tiles... But the result was amazing.

07C05EA5-AED1-4E63-9375-3A7A24D23BF0-319-00000035BE750644_zps89ab929a.jpg

4106A6F3-8EFE-4BCF-878A-6DB758A7F512-319-00000035C59E49BB_zpse5439796.jpg

R-User!

At the local LEGO Store, last Brick Friday specifically, Star Wars Advent Calendar was 50% off for either $25 or $20. Either price, it was a steal... So I got Star Wars.

What I don't remember is if the City or Friends Advent Calendar was also on sale for 50% off too.

Call your local or closest LEGO store to see if they remember which calendars they had on sale to see if you can plan to pick one up on that day.

ghostmind

At the local LEGO Store, last Brick Friday specifically, Star Wars Advent Calendar was 50% off for either $25 or $20. Either price, it was a steal... So I got Star Wars.

What I don't remember is if the City or Friends Advent Calendar was also on sale for 50% off too.

Call your local or closest LEGO store to see if they remember which calendars they had on sale to see if you can plan to pick one up on that day.

Hopefully they do the same again this year, so I can make it part of my Brick Friday purchase plans.

The LEGO store was so crazy last year. It's the only store I am going to this year.

R-User!

Hopefully they do the same again this year, so I can make it part of my Brick Friday purchase plans.

The LEGO store was so crazy last year. It's the only store I am going to this year.

I hope so too, and I was there at 6am I think, so it was totally crazy like during the monthly model build, but it was busy!

Edit: you did get my PM I sent right? If
so, then you probably've been too busy to bounce back your response yet... No worries.

neonglow

They had Chima Speedoz races for kids and giving out Lego Movie posters.

There were several LEGO sellers there (Chowren etc.)

Ah ok. When I went to Bricks by the Bay, they were giving away the Ring of Fire Chima set for anyone willing to try out the Speedorz toys. My friends and I all got a set.

wetwired

More photos to come tomorrow night of the expo but I knocked up a brief video showing a small selection of what was on offer at this years BrisBricks show, including showing those rollercoaster and other rides in action and an overview of my display.

Thinking about buying myself a birthday lego this week (lol) and of course, here comes TRU with a new fancy super box set: http://toysnbricks.com/bricktober-2013-lego-sale-week-1-at-toys-r-us-america/
I originally just wanted to pick up Jek-14's set but now i'm thinking that box set is better.

Honestly, I think the Jek ship looks much better than any of the vehicles in that 3 in 1 set.

Those pieces are awesome once they're in the final set, but I agree with Bone that the build order is really strange.

This is the most impressive set I saw today, LEGO replica of Revendell

That is insane. Amazing.

R-User!

More photos to come tomorrow night of the expo but I knocked up a brief video showing a small selection of what was on offer at this years BrisBricks show, including showing those rollercoaster and other rides in action and an overview of my display.

Thanks for the video!

My son is really interested in the Bat Pod in your display, so before you dismantle it (if you were going to ever do so), would you mind revealing the secrets to its design in total (via a few pics from all sides) so that my son and I can shamelessly "steal" it and create our own Pods?

When you aren't too busy of course...

I wonder though, are there any very rare pieces used to build the Pod, because my son thought that you were perhaps using a LEGO head of some sort for the core of the handlebars (where the bley wrench is sticking up from), but he wasn't sure. TL;DR any rare elements in that build?

Thanks for helping foster a love of LEGO in me and my sons world! :)

ruxtpin

Banned
Well.

Went by my local store yesterday and snagged the Ewok Village. Didn't have time this past weekend to put it together, but I did assemble the Hive Crawler. Such a cool looking model, and pretty ingenious how they got the little legs to move.

And the PAB at the store is on a roll. Picked up 2 large cups, jammed full of the palm tree leaves and 1x1 dark grey bricks.

Had a shitty day at work to start off a week that will end with a funeral (not mine). Hopefully some parts will turn up so I can keep myself distracted, but just in case I bought a little set.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.

Is the brick Friday sale in store only? If so I will most likely have to miss out since the nearest store is 2.5 hours away.

ghostmind

I hope so too, and I was there at 6am I think, so it was totally crazy like during the monthly model build, but it was busy!

Edit: you did get my PM I sent right? If
so, then you probably've been too busy to bounce back your response yet... No worries.

Yep, I have your PM. I'm sending them out tomorrow, and will send you my info sometime tonight probably.

ghostmind

We should be seeing the new Hobbit sets soon, which will bring me to a decision.

I'm thinking of skipping the rest of the Hobbit sets, unless they really deliver on the design. Last year's sets were all rather lacking, save for the magnificent Unexpected Gathering set.

We should be seeing the new Hobbit sets soon, which will bring me to a decision.

I'm thinking of skipping the rest of the Hobbit sets, unless they really deliver on the design. Last year's sets were all rather lacking, save for the magnificent Unexpected Gathering set.

Is that set really that good? I still have it in my closet, unopened. I should really try to build that darn thing.

Top Bottom