• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Yes I understand the implications. Doesnt GFWL get pulled in July though? I never had any savegames wiped or any problems at all! Until now anyway, ironically! If I can get the saved games back for both games I wont be quite so annoyed, but man, the amount of hours I have potentially lost here is not cool!

Almighty

So GFWL and Securom are gone and the games are 75 percent off. Say no more they are now both bought and I will be enjoying some Batman fun this weekend.

Wonko_C

1g3bCIU.jpg

This... incompleteness will haunt me forever. Now I lost motivation to go through the rest of the campaigns with Robin and Nightwing. My plan to keep playing vanilla AC and see if it still connected to GFWL came to a sudden halt once I tried running the game and being asked for the activation key again, and Steam no longer shows me the key (it shows me the three DLC keys, though, strange.)

On the other hand, free GOTY edition for both games! whoopeeee! I think I'll revisit AA because I didn't get any DLC for it nor did I do any of the challenge rooms.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes I understand the implications. Doesnt GFWL get pulled in July though? I never had any savegames wiped or any problems at all! Until now anyway, ironically! If I can get the saved games back for both games I wont be quite so annoyed, but man, the amount of hours I have potentially lost here is not cool!

Yes, GFWL will be dead come July next year, but the sooner it's patched out, the sooner people can move on.

Storm360

Did you use the fix I posted last page?

Yup, seems to be working fine

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186764030

I tried it with asylum and that resulted in corrupt data, but that was a random save downloaded from the internet (Was testing a 40% save for ChoklitReign) so could be related with the game, I don't have my own AA save to test sadly

EDIT: May be worth noting - My save file went from

Retail GOTY - Steam GOTY - Steam GOTY (No GFWL)

Linkark07

Banned
Yes, I saved like $10 on DLC. Was planning to buy them anyways, but still, this is great.

Strange thing though, now I have 2 Batman AC in my Steam account. The normal one and the GOTY edition.

Grief.exe

Yup, seems to be working fine

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=186764030

I tried it with asylum and that resulted in corrupt data, but that was a random save downloaded from the internet (Was testing a 40% save for ChoklitReign) so could be related with the game, I don't have my own AA save to test sadly

EDIT: May be worth noting - My save file went from

Retail GOTY - Steam GOTY - Steam GOTY (No GFWL)

I will add the fix to the OP.

Yes, I saved like $10 on DLC. Was planning to buy them anyways, but still, this is great.

Strange thing though, now I have 2 Batman AC in my Steam account. The normal one and the GOTY edition.

That is how they are upgrading people.

Miker

Since these games use non-protected saves now, I should be able to import someone else's completed save, right? I lost my GFWL during a reformat ages ago and I would be interested in playing New Game+ right from the start.

On that note, is there already a fully completed save floating around somewhere, Steam forums, Reddit, or otherwise?

scitek

You mean Warner Bros, right?

Seriously, the broken state AC launched in despite a month delay combined with the BS that they were supposedly using the extra time to polish the game when they were really on vacation did the opposite for me.

I just remembered that with the Steamworks version now out I can finally see Arkham City on the Steam store.

LOL GFWL sucked ass with that region shit.

yes, you are the only one.

I actually liked GFWL, only even ran into an issue once when it came to applying a game update on F1 2010. I also liked doing gamerscore contests with others.

In the case of Arkham Asylum i actually got the standard edition for $2 in a Microsoft Points promotion back in 2010 (it was something like 120msp) and picked up the GOTY edition on Steam later that year for under $10. As with the Xbox 360 and ps3 versions i loved playing the same game so many times to get double the rewards (trophies/gamerscore).

I was happy to play Arkham Asylum 4x times to record 1000/1000 and thus get 4000 points for effectively playing the same game over and over again. And a game like Arkham Asylum is worth playing over and over and over and over again, like GTA: Vice City still is.

Valnen

Was waiting to reinstall AC for this. Sucks that I have to beat the game again but it's not like it's a long game. When GFWL is dead I plan on doing a fresh install of Windows just to remove all traces of it from my PC. Can't wait.

Dark Souls, Dead Rising 2/OTT, and RE5 are the only other games I need patched now.

that save fix appears to have worked for me! My 100% Arkham City save is back and ready for Calendar Man completion!

I don't think I'll bother with Asylum, though, since I actually have an excuse to replay it for the Steamchievements

Exuro

Installing batman AA GOTY Edition somehow enabled my nvidia drivers to run in 3d mode, so some of my games started out with that red/blue hazy.

Docpan

Is performance better without the gfwl bullshit? Framerate always sucked despite graphical toggles and nvidia experience recommending me to max everything out. I suspected that drm bullshit may have had something to do with my stuttering... Any first hand experience?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is performance better without the gfwl bullshit? Framerate always sucked despite graphical toggles and nvidia experience recommending me to max everything out. I suspected that drm bullshit may have had something to do with my stuttering... Any first hand experience?

The removal of Securom should make it run a tad better.

sflufan

Banned
OK, neither the CD key on my retail copy of AA nor the key for my Origin copy of AC work for adding the games to my Steam library.

Am I supposed to use the keys from the GFWL client instead (I think they're different)?

Valnen

I find turning off DX11 in AC fixed the framerate for me. Something about it is broken.

JerryEveryday

Neo Member
Just started playing Batman AA like 3 days ago. Getting the GFWL achievements and I was about 50% completed story wise then I got the update tonight. Now, all my progress is lost and I'm out on all those GFWL achievements. Le sigh.....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Oh boy! Can't wait to lose my 18 hours in Dead Rising 2. I should just stop playing right now.

What's the best way to get a controller working in that? I picked it up a few days ago and it doesn't support any of my controllers, including my Xbox 360 wireless.

Psi

I've only played a little bit of AC in DX9 mode with everything else close to max, and when gliding around the city there used to be some kind of stutter I could never get rid of that seems to be gone now.

I find turning off DX11 in AC fixed the framerate for me. Something about it is broken.

actually, having GFWL removed does help with the framerate. i did the same thin you did, turning off DX11, but the game still stuttered to me. Now, it feels really smooth.

EDIT: sorta beaten :p

Eusis

Another patch was issued to fix the GFWL/Securom rollback.
Well, that's good to know then. Guess I'll start sooner than later afterall.

... And yeah, a straight copy of the AA save didn't work, I wonder if your posted AC fix can apply to AA as well? Not that I'm TOO attached, I had more invested in AA but it was still an incomplete hard run, and that's not really the kind of thing you want to jump back into after a hiatus.

EDIT: And any framerate boost is almost certainly more due to Securom. Though given GFWL seemingly had Securom by default I guess it's one and the same anyway.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
My Batman:AC save transferred nicely to the new GOTY.

AA, on the other hand, is straight up making the game crash... :(

I'm not sure what else to do to make it work. Anybody was successful with AA?

So, was it always a thing where the GOTY edition of Arkham Asylum didn't complain about using MSAA with an AMD graphics card, or is that new with this GFWL free version? I saw the complaint on the standard version still before I updated to the GOTY version I now have.

Also, is the benchmark gone now? Weird.

Miker

My Batman:AC save transferred nicely to the new GOTY.

AA, on the other hand, is straight up making the game crash... :(

I'm not sure what else to do to make it work. Anybody was successful with AA?

Is your AC GOTY save a completed save with new game plus? If it is, would you mind uploading it so players like myself and others don't have to play the game again to start NG+?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Good to know, I will add that fix to the OP.

There's 00:00:EE:00 on both AC's original GFWL save and AC:GOTY save.

That string is present on old AA save, but not on AA:GOTY save. Hmmm...

Edit: Also, make sure you start the game once and create a save on the same slot you had a save before. It won't work if you don't do it.

Top Bottom