• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

woodypop
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:43 PM)
woodypop's Avatar
So the Wii U was released in November, 2012 in North America (not quite one year ago). In today's paper I saw this advertised in Fred Meyer's print insert:



Granted, the employee who put this ad together may have just been on auto-pilot, but I'm a little surprised that this kind of thing still occurs. (I remember an incorrect photo accompanying a similar Target ad not too long ago as well.)
eXistor
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:45 PM)
eXistor's Avatar
That's one funny looking box, the dimensions are all off 'n shit.
Blacksafs
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:46 PM)
Blacksafs's Avatar
$100 for a wii u what a steal

it is weird though that they even have the wii u logo under the blurb
IsntChrisL
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:47 PM)
IsntChrisL's Avatar
Get your shit together, Fred.
DJIzana
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:47 PM)
DJIzana's Avatar
Pretty sure that won't matter a single bit once their AAA titles start pouring out. Word of mouth is still the best form of marketing and influence. :P
Saint Gregory
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:48 PM)
Saint Gregory's Avatar
The fact that Nintendo hasn't addressed this issue yet after nearly a year is really baffling. Are the higher ups unaware that this is a real issue or are they assuming it's just an internet meme?
pikablu
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:49 PM)
pikablu's Avatar
Look at the page on the website.

http://fredmeyer.inserts2online.com/...pStoreID=00608

http://i.imgur.com/Tqn0Dyd.jpg
Bsigg12
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:49 PM)
Bsigg12's Avatar
I had a woman asking if Wii U games would work on the Wii today while I was auditing a Best Buy. She didn't know the Wii U was a new system.
Wolfgang Jr
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:50 PM)
Wolfgang Jr's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

The fact that Nintendo hasn't addressed this issue yet after nearly a year is really baffling. Are the higher ups unaware that this is a real issue or are they assuming it's just an internet meme?

Reggie says that it isn't an issue.
Reggie is dumb as fuck.
SolarPowered
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:50 PM)
SolarPowered's Avatar

Originally Posted by DJIzana

Pretty sure that won't matter a single bit once their AAA titles start pouring out. Word of mouth is still the best form of marketing and influence. :P

Surely mean dripping out. We have 3D World in November, Tropical Freeze in February 2014, MKU in Q1 2014 and Smash... probably around Fall of 2014.

I would hardly call that "pouring out".
Mellahan
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:50 PM)
Mellahan's Avatar
Anyone else think this problem could be alleviated if Nintendo simply discontinued Wii?

It's being discontinued it Japan, sure... but what of the rest of the world?
PsychoRaven
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:53 PM)
PsychoRaven's Avatar
Not shocking. At this point it's not even comical anymore. It's just really sad. Nintendo seems determined not to get a clue.
Haines
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:53 PM)
Haines's Avatar
I honestly thought Nintendo would quickly realize that they needed to relaunch it as Wii 2 and do it before the big fall push. I understand a name change doesnt come free, but it would have saved this ambarassmnet
H_Prestige
Banned
(10-17-2013, 10:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Mellahan

Anyone else think this problem could be alleviated if Nintendo simply discontinued Wii?

It's being discontinued it Japan, sure... but what of the rest of the world?

Nope, wouldn't do anything. Solution is to change the name to "U" and drop the controller. Then a launch a new marketing campaign like Sony did with the ps3 slim.
gryz
Banned
(10-17-2013, 10:54 PM)
fred meyer rules for getting games on day 1 though.

even though for wonderful 101 i had to ask the guy to get it out of the back and he had no idea what it was.
IMBored
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:55 PM)
IMBored's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bsigg12

I had a woman asking if Wii U games would work on the Wii today while I was auditing a Best Buy. She didn't know the Wii U was a new system.

Yesterday I went in a big chain store that had a big information note on top of the only two WiiU boxes that said that WiiU games don't work on the Wii, so I guess that question is not uncommon.

As a side note they also had a empty case and monitor display with a PS4 where I guess they'll have PS4 demo units in the future.
DJIzana
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:56 PM)
DJIzana's Avatar

Originally Posted by SolarPowered

Surely mean dripping out. We have 3D World in November, Tropical Freeze in February 2014, MKU in Q1 2014 and Smash... probably around Fall of 2014.

I would hardly call that "pouring out".

Yeah... bad phrasing on my part. Regardless though, curious to see what else they have planned once all those titles get released. ;)
Brannon
Ladies! On my signal,
unleash boobs.
(10-17-2013, 10:57 PM)
Brannon's Avatar
Super Wii.

Come on Nintendo. Swallow that pride and re-christen it!
daxgame
Member
(10-17-2013, 10:59 PM)
daxgame's Avatar
That's what they deserve for giving a shitty name to the console.
IdreamofHIME
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:00 PM)
IdreamofHIME's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

The fact that Nintendo hasn't addressed this issue yet after nearly a year is really baffling. Are the higher ups unaware that this is a real issue or are they assuming it's just an internet meme?

Reggie said in an interview last month that confusion wasn't an issue.

The man is a jackass.
DJIzana
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:02 PM)
DJIzana's Avatar
Also... things are improving for Nintendo.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/17/wii-...s-console-npd/
bumpkin
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:02 PM)
bumpkin's Avatar
It's funny how people would *get it* if it was a "2", but are completely retarded when it's a "U".
Otakumegane
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:03 PM)
Otakumegane's Avatar
At this point the confusion may help the WiiU.

People might buy thinking it was a Wii.
mantidor
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:03 PM)
mantidor's Avatar

Originally Posted by H_Prestige

Nope, wouldn't do anything. Solution is to change the name to "U" and drop the controller. Then a launch a new marketing campaign like Sony did with the ps3 slim.

No matter how many times you repeat it the controller isn't the issue.

And if it was then there's nothing else to do, the name wouldn't matter.
jay
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:03 PM)
jay's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

The fact that Nintendo hasn't addressed this issue yet after nearly a year is really baffling. Are the higher ups unaware that this is a real issue or are they assuming it's just an internet meme?

They know but it's embarrassing so they do nothing and just hope it will go away. It's called the leaking nuclear reactor strategy.
SolarPowered
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:05 PM)
SolarPowered's Avatar

Originally Posted by DJIzana

Yeah... bad phrasing on my part. Regardless though, curious to see what else they have planned once all those titles get released. ;)

Yoshi, X, drought, Animal Crossing, more drought and Zelda. I can live with this since Bayo 2 will probably be 2014.
hatchx
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:05 PM)
hatchx's Avatar

Originally Posted by jay

They know but it's embarrassing so they do nothing and just hope it will go away. It's called the leaking nuclear reactor strategy.

Hahah oh man I feel bad for laughing so hard.
JABEE
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:07 PM)
JABEE's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

It's funny how people would *get it* if it was a "2", but are completely retarded when it's a "U".

The importance of competent branding.
hamchan
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:07 PM)
hamchan's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

It's funny how people would *get it* if it was a "2", but are completely retarded when it's a "U".

Of course. The "2" clearly shows a progression, a next step up.

A "U" doesn't, especially when Nintendo has already established a line of "Wii _____" products.
Saint Gregory
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:07 PM)
Saint Gregory's Avatar

Originally Posted by Wolfgang Jr

Reggie says that it isn't an issue.
Reggie is dumb as fuck.

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

Reggie said in an interview last month that confusion wasn't an issue.

The man is a jackass.

It illustrates how out of touch Nintendo is with the market right now. Every single person that's visited me and saw the system so far assumed it was a Wii with a new peripheral. And I've tried to explain to people that's it's not a Wii but struggled trying to explain to them what made it a new system.

These are real problems Nintendo, real problems.
antitrop
does not much care for
anti-shooter bias
(10-17-2013, 11:09 PM)
antitrop's Avatar
I literally cannot believe that Reggie said that with a straight face. Of course the branding is an issue, you could use the Wii U in a Marketing class as an instruction manual on what NOT to do.

Super Wii, Wii 2, Wii Next, hell even fucking Wii: The Next Generation would have been fine.

Anything but Wii U. You have to let people know that this is the next thing they're supposed to buy.
Last edited by antitrop; 10-17-2013 at 11:13 PM.
kaioshade
Member
(10-17-2013, 11:10 PM)
kaioshade's Avatar

Originally Posted by bumpkin

It's funny how people would *get it* if it was a "2", but are completely retarded when it's a "U".

careful, i got banned for saying something like this. even jokingly.
H_Prestige
Banned
(10-17-2013, 11:12 PM)

Originally Posted by mantidor

No matter how many times you repeat it the controller isn't the issue.

And if it was then there's nothing else to do, the name wouldn't matter.

The name absolutely is a problem. Especially combined with the console's entire look and feel. If it were called the Nintendo U right from the start it would be obvious to anyone that it wasn't the Wii, but something different.

Controller is mostly an issue because of price and that no one seems to give a shit about it. But it also feeds into the confusion problem. People hear the name "Wii U" and rightly assume it must be something you buy for your Wii, or some new model of the Wii. Then they see that giant tablet controller and realize "Aha! That must be it! That's the new ipad device for my Wii!".
IsntChrisL
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:37 AM)
IsntChrisL's Avatar
Nintendo's choice to make the console look so similar to the Wii hasn't done them any favors either.
ArkkAngel007
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:40 AM)
ArkkAngel007's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

It illustrates how out of touch Nintendo is with the market right now. Every single person that's visited me and saw the system so far assumed it was a Wii with a new peripheral. And I've tried to explain to people that's it's not a Wii but struggled trying to explain to them what made it a new system.

These are real problems Nintendo, real problems.

Not to be an ass, but how would you struggle describing it as a new system like you would with a new Xbox or Playstation? Sure, maybe struggle in how it's a new system in comparison to a 360 or PS3, but from the Wii?
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(10-18-2013, 12:44 AM)
EloquentM's Avatar
People keep saying they're not doing anything about it. Wasn't there a advert posted here that dealt with that very issue?
hydragonwarrior
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:46 AM)

Originally Posted by Mannny

People keep saying they're not doing anything about it. Wasn't there a advert posted here that dealt with that very issue?

I think you need more than 1 advertisement...
Plinko
Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
(10-18-2013, 12:47 AM)
Plinko's Avatar

Originally Posted by antitrop

I literally cannot believe that Reggie said that with a straight face. Of course the branding is an issue, you could use the Wii U in a Marketing class as an instruction manual on what NOT to do.

Super Wii, Wii 2, Wii Next, hell even fucking Wii: The Next Generation would have been fine.

Anything but Wii U. You have to let people know that this is the next thing they're supposed to buy.

This. Nintendo can only blame themselves.
Hiltz
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:50 AM)
Hiltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mannny

People keep saying they're not doing anything about it. Wasn't there a advert posted here that dealt with that very issue?

Yeah, it was this chart comparison flyer.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industr...-wii-u-poster/
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(10-18-2013, 12:51 AM)
EloquentM's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

Yeah, it was this chart comparison flyer.

http://hexus.net/gaming/news/industr...-wii-u-poster/

I swear there was a reminder in a recent video ad for the console though. Oh we'll my memory escapes me.
Hiltz
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:53 AM)
Hiltz's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mannny

I swear there was a reminder in a recent video ad for the console though. Oh we'll my memory escapes me.

Oh, well if there was one,then I don't remember it. :)
Hyoukokun
Junior Member
(10-18-2013, 12:54 AM)
Hyoukokun's Avatar
Is there a similar degree of name-related confusion in other markets, such as Japan?
TunaLover
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:54 AM)
TunaLover's Avatar
They barely advertise its system, I think the Nintendo logic is that the system will sell eventually when first party games start pouring, so they think they don't need do anymore to help the Wii U brand.
ArkkAngel007
Member
(10-18-2013, 12:55 AM)
ArkkAngel007's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mannny

People keep saying they're not doing anything about it. Wasn't there a advert posted here that dealt with that very issue?

I'm not familiar with the advert, but it needs to be treated with the same priority as all the marketing they put in for Pokemon X&Y. Hell, I think Mario & Luigi: Dream Team had more marketing behind it.

I mean, look at the effort Microsoft is going through to try and turn around opinions on the Xbox One with their new advertisements. However we as game enthusiasts view the situation regarding their 180, the general person who doesn't follow this stuff would see those adverts and find it to instantly dispel whatever they may have saw in a CNN blurb or from one of the guy's from the 4th floor.

What's worse is that Nintendo doesn't really seem to care. Every problem they say isn't a problem, that their competition isn't something that can affect them, and the one thing they admit to being an issue [games] they aren't doing squat about in marketing or goodwill.

Edit: I haven't seen any videos on the regular networks, from CBS to Fox to Nickelodeon. Seen plenty of X&Y ads though. Except for a few days around when the first ads for the Wii U came out, I haven't seen anything.
The good thing about this is that Fred Meyers will be selling quite a few Wii U systems until someone in management posts up a notice for customers to clarify the situation. The bad news is that they're going to lose money on it.
Last edited by ArkkAngel007; 10-18-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Hiltz
Member
(10-18-2013, 01:00 AM)
Hiltz's Avatar
In the U.S., Nintendo's only had like two TV ads for Lego City and Pikmin 3 this year. 3DS has had ads for Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon X&Y. I'm not sure if DKC: Returns 3D got one.
Last edited by Hiltz; 10-18-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Saint Gregory
Member
(10-18-2013, 01:04 AM)
Saint Gregory's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArkkAngel007

Not to be an ass, but how would you struggle describing it as a new system like you would with a new Xbox or Playstation? Sure, maybe struggle in how it's a new system in comparison to a 360 or PS3, but from the Wii?

People that have seen it haven't seen the graphics and even if they did I'm not sure that they would care. All the know is that the console looks almost exactly like the Wii but with a new controller. The Wii had so many extraneous add-ons that it's not hard to see why people are confused.

I say that it's a new system and they don't seem to really understand what makes it new aside from the controller which they feel they should be able to just go out and buy for their old Wii.

Building the Wii around the controller and not graphics probably seemed like a great idea at the time but now most non-gamers don't automatically associate a new system with more powerful graphics.
BatDan
Member
(10-18-2013, 01:06 AM)
BatDan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hiltz

In the U.S., Nintendo's only had like two TV ads for Lego City and Pikmin 3 this year. 3DS has had ads for Fire Emblem, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing, and Pokemon X&Y. I'm not sure if DKC: Returns 3D got one.

DKC Returns 3D did get one. The Wonderful 101 did not (and that annoys me). Neither did Wind Waker HD.

More commercials! More marketing! Stop being deaf and clear up the confusion!
EloquentM
aka Mannny
(10-18-2013, 01:10 AM)
EloquentM's Avatar

Originally Posted by ArkkAngel007

I'm not familiar with the advert, but it needs to be treated with the same priority as all the marketing they put in for Pokemon X&Y. Hell, I think Mario & Luigi: Dream Team had more marketing behind it.

I mean, look at the effort Microsoft is going through to try and turn around opinions on the Xbox One with their new advertisements. However we as game enthusiasts view the situation regarding their 180, the general person who doesn't follow this stuff would see those adverts and find it to instantly dispel whatever they may have saw in a CNN blurb or from one of the guy's from the 4th floor.

What's worse is that Nintendo doesn't really seem to care. Every problem they say isn't a problem, that their competition isn't something that can affect them, and the one thing they admit to being an issue [games] they aren't doing squat about in marketing or goodwill.

Edit: I haven't seen any videos on the regular networks, from CBS to Fox to Nickelodeon. Seen plenty of X&Y ads though. Except for a few days around when the first ads for the Wii U came out, I haven't seen anything.
The good thing about this is that Fred Meyers will be selling quite a few Wii U systems until someone in management posts up a notice for customers to clarify the situation. The bad news is that they're going to lose money on it.

Oh no I agree, don't get me wrong. I just thought they were doing something about it which is why I asked.
ArkkAngel007
Member
(10-18-2013, 01:11 AM)
ArkkAngel007's Avatar

Originally Posted by Saint Gregory

People that have seen it haven't seen the graphics and even if they did I'm not sure that they would care. All the know is that the console looks almost exactly like the Wii but with a new controller. The Wii had so many extraneous add-ons that it's not hard to see why people are confused.

I say that it's a new system and they don't seem to really understand what makes it new aside from the controller which they feel they should be able to just go out and buy for their old Wii.

Building the Wii around the controller and not graphics probably seemed like a great idea at the time but now most non-gamers don't automatically associate a new system with more powerful graphics.

I get that and agree, but you didn't make it clear that the whole issue was surrounding what the box looked like ; )

However, I'll say that it's a question that is common for every system at retail. To them, they all look the same. Obviously, there's an issue where the controller is priority real estate in marketing and the name follows too closely with the peripheral names, but that sort of questioning is far from being exclusive to the Wii U.

Just last week I had someone ask me about the new Xbox, as well as the usual can I use my old stuff with it, can you play its games on the 360, and so on and so forth.
erawsd
Member
(10-18-2013, 01:13 AM)
erawsd's Avatar

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

Reggie said in an interview last month that confusion wasn't an issue.

The man is a jackass.

Its probably a minor issue. Truth is, if someone was interested in a WiiU game then they'd naturally find out on their own that its something new. They don't know the WiiU is something new because they don't care. With Mario Kart and Smash Bros on the horizon I'm sure that'll start to change.

Thread Tools