• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

ElTorro
I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
(10-18-2013, 02:03 PM)
ElTorro's Avatar
The German magazine ComputerBild is currently running an analysis with a PS4 debug unit. They have measured the unit's noise level while navigating the system menu and compared it to the original PS3.

After 10 minutes of operation
PS3: 0.83 sone
PS4: 0.815 sone

According to the magazine, a "slight noise" is audible from 40cm (= 15.75 inches) distance.

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

A sone is a unit of perceived loudness: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone (with examples).

Source: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/3...events/2475845

Last edited by ElTorro; 10-18-2013 at 02:26 PM.
uncleniccius
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:04 PM)
uncleniccius's Avatar
How does this compare with the slim?
artist
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:05 PM)
artist's Avatar
Beaten like a - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698974
wapplew
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:05 PM)
wapplew's Avatar
Silence like a mouse
DBT85
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:05 PM)
DBT85's Avatar

Originally Posted by uncleniccius

How does this compare with the slim?

the question for all the PS3 comparisons is, which revision. The Slim you could buy on day 1 was not the same slim you could by just before the Super SLim came out. Similarly the Fat that you could buy at launch was not the same one you could buy just before the Slim came out.
Acquiescence
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:06 PM)
Acquiescence's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTorro

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

Hoo-doo
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:07 PM)
Hoo-doo's Avatar
Extremely impressive if it's that silent during actual use.
StuBurns
just talking loud
and saying nothing
(10-18-2013, 02:07 PM)
StuBurns's Avatar
40cm, not bad, I'll be eight foot from it, and it'll be behind a TV.

Not gonna hear shit.
Kazuma Kiryu
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
Kazuma Kiryu's Avatar
Finally, some actual numbers. Really glad we're reaching the launch of these consoles, enough with "virtually silent operation" PR points.
DieH@rd
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
DieH@rd's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTorro


According to the magazine, a "slight noise" is audible from 40cm distance.

Its worth pointing out that they have placed mic 40cm away from back grill. Directly in the path of the exiting sound.
uncleniccius
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
uncleniccius's Avatar

Originally Posted by DBT85

the question for all the PS3 comparisons is, which revision. The Slim you could buy on day 1 was not the same slim you could by just before the Super SLim came out. Similarly the Fat that you could buy at launch was not the same one you could buy just before the Slim came out.

I didn't know that, how loud would it be then? Is there any way to tell?
OddMorsel
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
OddMorsel's Avatar
Kind of matters how old the systems are, too. All hardware eventually collects dust inside and get louder over time. My CPU fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it operating, even under full load, when I first bought it. Now it sounds like a jet engine.
derExperte
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
derExperte's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hoo-doo

Extremely impressive if it's that silent during actual use.

I doubt it. But it's a good start.
Hyunashi
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:08 PM)
Hyunashi's Avatar
My original PS3 still makes no audible noise (after cleaning it a few times during its life) so this is good news.
chadskin
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:09 PM)
chadskin's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTorro

After 60 minutes of operation
PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

It should be noted (and it was in the OP, sigh), "operation" doesn't mean playing games, it's basically just running the menu. For all we know, it could be louder than the PS3 in games.
Acheteedo
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:09 PM)
Acheteedo's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTorro

They have measured the unit's noise level while navigating the system menu

Ok, but the part that matters is how is performs under strain. Does it jet-engine like the PS3?
gruenel
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:09 PM)
gruenel's Avatar

Originally Posted by DieH@rd

Its worth pointing out that they have placed mic 40cm away from back grill. Directly in the path of the exiting sound.

They also blocked the vents a little:

elite09
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:09 PM)
elite09's Avatar
Actually i don't care if my PS4 is a bit loud when i'm playing videogames, but it's quite annoying when watching movies. So if it keeps this level of noise when playing blurays i will be happy :D
gruenel
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:10 PM)
gruenel's Avatar

Originally Posted by OddMorsel

Kind of matters how old the systems are, too. All hardware eventually collects dust inside and get louder over time. My CPU fan was so quiet I couldn't hear it operating, even under full load, when I first bought it. Now it sounds like a jet engine.

You know you can clean these things, right?
Captain Tuttle
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:11 PM)
Captain Tuttle's Avatar

Originally Posted by chadskin

It should be noted (and it was in the OP, sigh), "operation" doesn't mean playing games, it's basically just running the menu. For all we know, it could be louder than the PS3 in games.

Well doesn't the PS4 have mandatory installs? It'll definitely be quieter just because of that.
Bradach
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:11 PM)
Bradach's Avatar
by 'operation' do they mean with a game playing? or just switched on

NVM
Last edited by Bradach; 10-18-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: my question was answered while i was typing
smallios74
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:12 PM)

Originally Posted by chadskin

It should be noted (and it was in the OP, sigh), "operation" doesn't mean playing games, it's basically just running the menu. For all we know, it could be louder than the PS3 in games.

Are you sure? my PS3 makes no more noise if its sat on the xmb after an hour as it does after 10 minutes, if its playing a game after an hour or so the fans will ramp up and be more audible.
Terbinator
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:12 PM)
Terbinator's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bradach

by 'operation' do they mean with a game playing? or just switched on

In the menu... compared to the jet engine phat PS3.
DeadManWalking
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:12 PM)
DeadManWalking's Avatar
I can't even hear my ps3 slim. This is great.
RoboPlato
I'd be in the dick
(10-18-2013, 02:12 PM)
RoboPlato's Avatar
Wow at the 60 minutes figure.
Kayero
Junior Member
(10-18-2013, 02:12 PM)
Kayero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bradach

by 'operation' do they mean with a game playing? or just switched on

Just navigating the menu.
ElTorro
I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
(10-18-2013, 02:13 PM)
ElTorro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bradach

by 'operation' do they mean with a game playing? or just switched on

According to them, they measured the noise level during "menu mode".
Tarsul
Junior Member
(10-18-2013, 02:13 PM)
the drive is usually the loudest, is it not? Wondering how loud that is...
shandy706
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:14 PM)
shandy706's Avatar
What's the point of doing this while going through menus?

How about after 60 minutes of Killzone?
Kinyou
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:14 PM)
Kinyou's Avatar
Finally some real numbers. Now I want to know how this compares to the Xb1
coolasj19
Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
(10-18-2013, 02:14 PM)
coolasj19's Avatar
"slight noise"? Doooooooooom or an air canister. I'll keep an air canister handy. Hopefully they let me clean it without invalidating warranty. And if that sound is even less when it's on standby than my PS3 Slim, that's good. But it could be better. But then again, I don't know how much a scone is.
ElTorro
I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
(10-18-2013, 02:16 PM)
ElTorro's Avatar

Originally Posted by shandy706

What's the point of doing this while going through menus?

That's actually the noise level that I care about. During games, everything is drowned out by the game's sound.
DistortionOfReality
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:16 PM)
DistortionOfReality's Avatar
Where do these 'Jet Engine PS3' comments come from? I have a 40gig phat and It is practically silent (the one exception being The Last of Us. Until that game I didn't even know the PS3 had a louder/higher fan speed)

Then again I was using the 360 waaaay more over the years, so maybe I have been spoiled by the true Jet-Engine noises from that beast

OT, awesome news about how quiet it is, even if it is just the menu. Perfect for blurays, I found volume was menu levels when watching blurays on the PS3
Prince Vultan
Banned
(10-18-2013, 02:17 PM)

PS3: 2.1 sone
PS4: 0.83 sone

Serious downgrade from PS3.

Pathetic.
Jonesy7707
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:18 PM)
Jonesy7707's Avatar
The distance the slight noise was heard at is 40 inches not cm's according to their updates, so about 102cm.
Drencrom
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:20 PM)
Drencrom's Avatar

Originally Posted by Prince Vultan

Serious downgrade from PS3.

Pathetic.

lol
keit4
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:20 PM)
keit4's Avatar
Sounds good.
Acheteedo
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:20 PM)
Acheteedo's Avatar
ElTorro
I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
(10-18-2013, 02:20 PM)
ElTorro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonesy7707

The distance the slight noise was heard at is 40 inches not cm's according to their updates.

It is definitely in centimeters.

Nach zehn Minuten Laufzeit sind das 0.815 Sone, gemessen 40 Zentimeter entfernt vom Gerät.

Nobody measures distances in inches in Germany.
Sum-Mischief
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:22 PM)
Sum-Mischief's Avatar
Quiet is good ....!
Gangxxter
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:22 PM)
Gangxxter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonesy7707

The distance the slight noise was heard at is 40 inches not cm's according to their updates, so about 102cm.

Where did you read that?
It's a German magazine, Germans (especially Computer BILD) only know the metric system.
Jonesy7707
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:23 PM)
Jonesy7707's Avatar

Originally Posted by ElTorro

It is definitely in centimeters.



Nobody measures distances in inches in Germany.

Google translate isn't doing it's job probably in that case.
LTWheels
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:25 PM)
LTWheels's Avatar
We also need the values whilst it's playing a game before we can draw any conclusion.

But hopefully the signs are looking good.
Jonesy7707
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:25 PM)
Jonesy7707's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gangxxter

Where did you read that?
It's a German magazine, Germans (especially Computer BILD) only know the metric system.

Yeah my mistake, Google translated before I got to see Zentimeter. Somehow that became inches :/
luxstellarum
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:25 PM)
luxstellarum's Avatar
Wait until TLOU 2.
Lacix
Junior Member
(10-18-2013, 02:26 PM)
What about the disc spinning noise during gameplay or blu-ray playback ?
This is what worries me. (6x instead of 2x)
Gangxxter
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:26 PM)
Gangxxter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Jonesy7707

Yeah my mistake, Google translated before I got to see Zentimeter. Somehow that became inches :/

Yeah, I see. Really strange that Google translates Zentimeter to inches...
NTIETS13A_Superiority
Banned
(10-18-2013, 02:27 PM)

Originally Posted by Jonesy7707

The distance the slight noise was heard at is 40 inches not cm's according to their updates, so about 102cm.

Why German site uses inches. Idiotic.
FonkyByNature
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:29 PM)
FonkyByNature's Avatar
This is great news.
crazygambit
Member
(10-18-2013, 02:29 PM)
crazygambit's Avatar

Originally Posted by DistortionOfReality

Where do these 'Jet Engine PS3' comments come from? I have a 40gig phat and It is practically silent (the one exception being The Last of Us. Until that game I didn't even know the PS3 had a louder/higher fan speed)

Then again I was using the 360 waaaay more over the years, so maybe I have been spoiled by the true Jet-Engine noises from that beast

OT, awesome news about how quiet it is, even if it is just the menu. Perfect for blurays, I found volume was menu levels when watching blurays on the PS3

I have a launch 60 GB and it was virtually silent when I bought it, but now it's a jet engine even on the XMB. I should really look for a tutorial on cleaning the fans to see if I can get it quieter, because it's a problem at night.

Thread Tools