• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - First English voice over actor revealed?

Exentryk

Looks like Square Enix is already thinking about Final Fantasy XV's English voicing. You will hear Jay Preston's voice in the upcoming Final Fantasy XV Video Game!! This info is up on his website, and on his Linkedin page too.

Here is a sample of his voice - https://soundcloud.com/jaypreston/jay-prestons-commercial
For more samples, check this link - http://www.jaypreston.com/#!VoiceOver/c1azn

So, who do you think he'll be voicing?

Vi66czR.png

pX31kul.png

qPQ6i94.png

Voror

Interesting. Can't say for sure quite yet, but he doesn't seem to be anyone who's been involved in the industry before so it might actually be nice to have some fresh voices. Not that I have a problem with a lot of the regulars.

Of course, it could always be background characters or something.

I'd guess maybe Prompto.

Squire

Banned
Ignis is my guess.

He sounds alright. The thing about voice casting is the games industry kind of really has it's shit together in that regard. FFXIII's cast was sub-par for 2010. If XV is on the same level I think it's going to be really glaring. Same goes for KHIII when it rolls around.

Oh really? I never noticed though it has been some time.

That's the beauty of North's talent. People don't realize it's him in most of his roles.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ingnis is my guess.

He sounds alright. The thing about voice casting is the games industry kind of really has it's shit together in that regard. FFXIII's cast was sub-par for 2010. If XV is on the same level I think it's going to be really glaring. Same goes for KHIII when it rolls around.

That's the beauty of North's talent. People don't realize it's him in most of his roles.

SE's voice direction has remained horrendous lately.

OmegaDL50

He reminds me of Michael McGaharn (Who voiced Knuckles in Sonic Adventure 1, and Jansen Friedh in Lost Odyssey)

Listening to the VO sample material on the soundcloud page. He would make for a good snarky / sarcastic type of role.

Listening to his fake Scotsman material was interesting though.

His natural speaking voice sounds like a typical average not-overly-confident hero voice type. (Edge Maverick, Rush Sykes, etc)

I guess we'll see what sort of role he will voice in due time.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Maybe he's just voicing the commercial.

If he's a character, my guess would be the guy with the glasses.

Squire

Banned
SE's voice direction has remained horrendous lately.

I don't really understand why. They have the same guy directing who did the games last generation. They have a good talent pool, too, yet they cast mostly unknowns for XIII and not really for the better.

Edit: You know who he sounds like? Yuri Lowenthall.

SE, just cast Yuri.

Voror

Ignis is my guess.

Hmm, I could see that as well.

In some regards I agree though I do think some performances like Sazh's were good. I do hope it turns out well here, though I don't have too much worry about KHIII as that series has generally always had good voice actings aside from a few instances.

A lot of the time I can tell it's him if he's doing his Drake voice, but in many other instances it is very hard to tell it's him.

Swishh

Banned
Man when is this game coming out? Final Fantasy games used to be good in the psone/ps2 era, and I miss that.

Haven't bought one in 8 years because they've been so bad :(

Whompa

Well if he sounds like he did during his demo reel, I can deal. It's not bad at all.

edit: jesus he could do a bunch of different voices. Best just wait to hear WHO before speculating.

Greaver

Banned
I am still hopeful for a Japanese voice acting with English subtitles version the Japanese voice actors for this this game are honestly perfect at least for the main characters.

One One can hope -_-

Squire

Banned
Wait, so all 5 of them aren't voiced by Troy Baker? MEGATON

Honestly, Troy bordered on awful as Snow. It's the same issue with Ali Hillis and Lightning. They cast these excellent, really capable actors, but didn't bring out those traits in their performances. It's wasted talent. A real shame.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wonder how long it will take SE to yell at him. They're super protective of this stuff for whatever reason.

HeelPower

lol. I just hope they get someone who actually knows good voice direction this time around. It's embarrassing.

I don't have a particularly good ear for Japanese VA (can't say I can easily discern good from bad),but I feel like the acting was really sharp in the trailer.

Especially that line with Stella when says "go on without me" or something to that effect.

I also liked the translated english lines.So here's hoping its gonna be great!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't have a particularly good ear for Japanese VA (can't say I can easily discern good from bad),but I feel like the acting was really sharp in the trailer.

Especially that line with Stella when says "go on without me" or something to that effect.

I also liked the translated english lines.So here's hoping its gonna be great!

The Japanese cast is fine. I'm referring to their English efforts as of late.

HeelPower

The Japanese cast is fine. I'm referring to their English efforts as of late.

I think they should allow english and japenese performances to be different and let them do their own version of it.

I actually think Vanille's VA is good ,but she might have been working within boundaries trying to match her Japanese counterpart(I remember the cast saying that once)

The too languages aren't compatible in that manner.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think they should allow english and japenese performances to be different and let them do their own version of it.

I actually think Vanille's VA is good ,but she might have been working within boundaries trying to match her Japanese counterpart(I remember the cast saying that once)

The too languages aren't compatible in that manner.

It's been downhill since 12. Even 14 - which has a great written localization - suffers from poor voice direction.

HeelPower

It's been downhill since 12. Even 14 - which has a great written localization - suffers from poor voice direction.

I don't know why they would relapse after such an improvement in VA seven years ago.

I know this isn't what it seems like but damn this is ominous lol 2022 release date confirmed.

1385611_10151831185293369_1990416756_n.jpg

14 had poor presentation overall in many cutscenes, but most of the cast of XIII had good to great voicework some better that the japanese even, like Hope.

I expect them to do good work for XV as well.

HeelPower

14 had poor presentation overall in many cutscenes, but most of the cast of XIII had good to great voicework some better that the japanese even, like Hope.

I expect them to do good work for XV as well.

I love that Voice acting with Vanille and Sazh in Nautilus.That was remarkable imo.

Blackage

Still hoping with install sizes hitting 50GB anyway they just say fuck it at one point and include Japanese VAs with subtitles. :)

HeelPower

Troy Baker can voice everything, just look at his recent role as The Joker.

Joel </3 James in Silent Hill 2( a commonly overlooked( due to fan prejudice to the terrible old voice)but excellent role.)

Yep, even shitty characters like Snow and Serah did good work despite what they were saying.

I hated snow's voice ,but he was such a retarded skull head and his body language almost required that kind of obnoxious performance.

I honestly can't understand how they let this happen and how (and/or why?) SE's voice direction is actually getting worse as of lately.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I honestly can't understand how they let this happen and how (and/or why?) SE's voice direction is actually getting worse as of lately.

It baffled me. They have some really nice production values in some of their games but the VA typically ruins part of the experience... at least for me.

Top Bottom