• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Exentryk
(10-27-2013, 07:11 AM)
Looks like Square Enix is already thinking about Final Fantasy XV's English voicing. You will hear Jay Preston's voice in the upcoming Final Fantasy XV Video Game!! This info is up on his website, and on his Linkedin page too.

Here is a sample of his voice - https://soundcloud.com/jaypreston/ja...ons-commercial
For more samples, check this link - http://www.jaypreston.com/#!VoiceOver/c1azn

So, who do you think he'll be voicing?

Voror
(10-27-2013, 07:16 AM)
Interesting. Can't say for sure quite yet, but he doesn't seem to be anyone who's been involved in the industry before so it might actually be nice to have some fresh voices. Not that I have a problem with a lot of the regulars.

Of course, it could always be background characters or something.

I'd guess maybe Prompto.
IdreamofHIME
(10-27-2013, 07:17 AM)
I was expecting Troy Baker or Nolan North, lol.
KePoW
(10-27-2013, 07:18 AM)

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

Wasn't North in FF13?
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:18 AM)

Originally Posted by KePoW

Wasn't North in FF13?

12 as Vossler.
Voror
(10-27-2013, 07:19 AM)

Originally Posted by Kagari

12 as Vossler.

Oh really? I never noticed though it has been some time.
Inorigo
Ignis is my guess.

He sounds alright. The thing about voice casting is the games industry kind of really has it's shit together in that regard. FFXIII's cast was sub-par for 2010. If XV is on the same level I think it's going to be really glaring. Same goes for KHIII when it rolls around.

Originally Posted by Voror

Oh really? I never noticed though it has been some time.

That's the beauty of North's talent. People don't realize it's him in most of his roles.
Last edited by Inorigo; 10-27-2013 at 07:22 AM.
SolidSnakex

Originally Posted by IdreamofHIME

I get the feeling that a lot of people on Tumblr will go into rage mode if Troy isn't voicing Prompto.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:20 AM)

Originally Posted by SolidSnakex

I get the feeling that a lot of people on Tumblr will go into rage mode if Troy isn't voicing Prompto.

Troy is kind of too deep for Prompto imo...
TheMink
(10-27-2013, 07:20 AM)

12 as Vossler.

Indeed, you would never guess.
IdreamofHIME
(10-27-2013, 07:21 AM)

Originally Posted by KePoW

Wasn't North in FF13?

He was in 12, 13 and 14.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:21 AM)

Originally Posted by Inorigo

Ingnis is my guess.

He sounds alright. The thing about voice casting is the games industry kind of really has it's shit together in that regard. FFXIII's cast was sub-par for 2010. If XV is on the same level I think it's going to be really glaring. Same goes for KHIII when it rolls around.

That's the beauty of North's talent. People don't realize it's him in most of his roles.

SE's voice direction has remained horrendous lately.
OmegaDL50
(10-27-2013, 07:22 AM)
He reminds me of Michael McGaharn (Who voiced Knuckles in Sonic Adventure 1, and Jansen Friedh in Lost Odyssey)

Listening to the VO sample material on the soundcloud page. He would make for a good snarky / sarcastic type of role.

Listening to his fake Scotsman material was interesting though.

His natural speaking voice sounds like a typical average not-overly-confident hero voice type. (Edge Maverick, Rush Sykes, etc)

I guess we'll see what sort of role he will voice in due time.
hateradio
The Most Dangerous Yes Man
(10-27-2013, 07:23 AM)
Maybe he's just voicing the commercial.

If he's a character, my guess would be the guy with the glasses.
Inorigo
(10-27-2013, 07:24 AM)

SE's voice direction has remained horrendous lately.

I don't really understand why. They have the same guy directing who did the games last generation. They have a good talent pool, too, yet they cast mostly unknowns for XIII and not really for the better.

Edit: You know who he sounds like? Yuri Lowenthall.

SE, just cast Yuri.
Voror
(10-27-2013, 07:25 AM)

Originally Posted by Inorigo

Ignis is my guess.

Hmm, I could see that as well.

In some regards I agree though I do think some performances like Sazh's were good. I do hope it turns out well here, though I don't have too much worry about KHIII as that series has generally always had good voice actings aside from a few instances.

A lot of the time I can tell it's him if he's doing his Drake voice, but in many other instances it is very hard to tell it's him.
Swishh
Banned
(10-27-2013, 07:26 AM)
Man when is this game coming out? Final Fantasy games used to be good in the psone/ps2 era, and I miss that.

Haven't bought one in 8 years because they've been so bad :(
Whompa
(10-27-2013, 07:28 AM)
Well if he sounds like he did during his demo reel, I can deal. It's not bad at all.

edit: jesus he could do a bunch of different voices. Best just wait to hear WHO before speculating.
Last edited by Whompa; 10-27-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Soriku
(10-27-2013, 07:30 AM)

12 as Vossler.

Really? Huh.

Originally Posted by Swishh

Man when is this game coming out? Final Fantasy games used to be good in the psone/ps2 era, and I miss that.

Haven't bought one in 8 years because they've been so bad :(

Well FF XII came out less than 8 years ago...
Big Jeffrey
(10-27-2013, 07:31 AM)
Thought it was Troy Baker
Aussie Legend
Banned
(10-27-2013, 07:32 AM)
Wait, so all 5 of them aren't voiced by Troy Baker? MEGATON
Greaver
Banned
(10-27-2013, 07:33 AM)
I am still hopeful for a Japanese voice acting with English subtitles version the Japanese voice actors for this this game are honestly perfect at least for the main characters.

One One can hope -_-
Cert.in.Death
(10-27-2013, 07:33 AM)
No indication of which character (or what kind) he'll be voicing?
Inorigo
(10-27-2013, 07:36 AM)

Originally Posted by Aussie Legend

Wait, so all 5 of them aren't voiced by Troy Baker? MEGATON

Honestly, Troy bordered on awful as Snow. It's the same issue with Ali Hillis and Lightning. They cast these excellent, really capable actors, but didn't bring out those traits in their performances. It's wasted talent. A real shame.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 07:38 AM)

He could work really well as Gladio.

Its great SE is seeking less familiar talent.
Last edited by HeelPower; 10-27-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:44 AM)

Originally Posted by HeelPower

He could work really well as Gladio.

Its great SE is seeking less familiar talent.

Maybe but I'd rather them go for some fresh blood for once.
Exentryk
(10-27-2013, 07:45 AM)
Here is a video of the guy.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/e0c.../actor-in-need
Musolf815
(10-27-2013, 07:47 AM)
I was expecting Johnny Yong Bosch. As Noctis.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:47 AM)
I wonder how long it will take SE to yell at him. They're super protective of this stuff for whatever reason.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 07:53 AM)

I wonder how long it will take SE to yell at him. They're super protective of this stuff for whatever reason.

Sorry.There may have been a misunderstanding regarding this announcement.We cannot confirm anything at this time.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 07:55 AM)

Sorry.There may have been a misunderstanding regarding this announcement.We cannot confirm anything at this time.

lol. I just hope they get someone who actually knows good voice direction this time around. It's embarrassing.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 08:00 AM)

lol. I just hope they get someone who actually knows good voice direction this time around. It's embarrassing.

I don't have a particularly good ear for Japanese VA (can't say I can easily discern good from bad),but I feel like the acting was really sharp in the trailer.

Especially that line with Stella when says "go on without me" or something to that effect.

I also liked the translated english lines.So here's hoping its gonna be great!
Exentryk
(10-27-2013, 08:03 AM)
Lol.

Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 08:05 AM)

I don't have a particularly good ear for Japanese VA (can't say I can easily discern good from bad),but I feel like the acting was really sharp in the trailer.

Especially that line with Stella when says "go on without me" or something to that effect.

I also liked the translated english lines.So here's hoping its gonna be great!

The Japanese cast is fine. I'm referring to their English efforts as of late.
kurahador
(10-27-2013, 08:09 AM)
They didn't fully hired the full english voice cast yet??

Late 2016 or early 2017 release....not even joking.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 08:10 AM)

The Japanese cast is fine. I'm referring to their English efforts as of late.

I think they should allow english and japenese performances to be different and let them do their own version of it.

I actually think Vanille's VA is good ,but she might have been working within boundaries trying to match her Japanese counterpart(I remember the cast saying that once)

The too languages aren't compatible in that manner.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 08:20 AM)

I think they should allow english and japenese performances to be different and let them do their own version of it.

I actually think Vanille's VA is good ,but she might have been working within boundaries trying to match her Japanese counterpart(I remember the cast saying that once)

The too languages aren't compatible in that manner.

It's been downhill since 12. Even 14 - which has a great written localization - suffers from poor voice direction.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 08:26 AM)

It's been downhill since 12. Even 14 - which has a great written localization - suffers from poor voice direction.

I don't know why they would relapse after such an improvement in VA seven years ago.

I know this isn't what it seems like but damn this is ominous lol 2022 release date confirmed.

Last edited by HeelPower; 10-27-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Ganon Dragmire
(10-27-2013, 08:30 AM)
14 had poor presentation overall in many cutscenes, but most of the cast of XIII had good to great voicework some better that the japanese even, like Hope.

I expect them to do good work for XV as well.
HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 08:32 AM)

Originally Posted by Dragmire666

14 had poor presentation overall in many cutscenes, but most of the cast of XIII had good to great voicework some better that the japanese even, like Hope.

I expect them to do good work for XV as well.

I love that Voice acting with Vanille and Sazh in Nautilus.That was remarkable imo.
Sn4ke_911
If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
(10-27-2013, 08:33 AM)

Troy Baker can voice everything, just look at his recent role as The Joker.
Blackage
(10-27-2013, 08:37 AM)
Still hoping with install sizes hitting 50GB anyway they just say fuck it at one point and include Japanese VAs with subtitles. :)
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 08:38 AM)

Originally Posted by Blackage

Still hoping with install sizes hitting 50GB anyway they just say fuck it at one point and include Japanese VAs with subtitles. :)

The issue with Japanese VA is a licensing issue more than anything.
Ganon Dragmire
(10-27-2013, 08:39 AM)

I love that Voice acting with Vanille and Sazh in Nautilus.That was remarkable imo.

Yep, even shitty characters like Snow and Serah did good work despite what they were saying.
Exentryk
(10-27-2013, 08:40 AM)
Btw, this news was posted on Jay's site on 15th June, 2013.

HeelPower
(10-27-2013, 08:43 AM)

Originally Posted by Sn4ke_911

Troy Baker can voice everything, just look at his recent role as The Joker.

Joel </3 James in Silent Hill 2( a commonly overlooked( due to fan prejudice to the terrible old voice)but excellent role.)

Originally Posted by Dragmire666

Yep, even shitty characters like Snow and Serah did good work despite what they were saying.

I hated snow's voice ,but he was such a retarded skull head and his body language almost required that kind of obnoxious performance.
Last edited by HeelPower; 10-27-2013 at 08:46 AM.
Ragnarsson
(10-27-2013, 08:56 AM)

I honestly can't understand how they let this happen and how (and/or why?) SE's voice direction is actually getting worse as of lately.
Kagari
Super Mode
(10-27-2013, 08:59 AM)

Originally Posted by Ragnarsson

I honestly can't understand how they let this happen and how (and/or why?) SE's voice direction is actually getting worse as of lately.

It baffled me. They have some really nice production values in some of their games but the VA typically ruins part of the experience... at least for me.
Equinox
(10-27-2013, 09:03 AM)

Originally Posted by kurahador

They didn't fully hired the full english voice cast yet??

Late 2016 or early 2017 release....not even joking.

Who says they haven't? And localisation doesn't require three years to complete you know.