• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Rumors: PS4 PSN > XBL, snap crashes games, ES RAM life long bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironcreed

Banned
Boating-Gone-Bad.gif

God damn.

Is "snap" something its even possible to delay if they can't get it working reliably by launch? Can you really use the Xbox without it?

chadskin

Evidence is piling up it seems. The coming weeks will surrrrely be interesting. Cherish it, people, it'll be 6-7 years before the pre console launch hypehate returns again.

Magical dev tools will NEVER appear and turn eSRAM CACHE into something that actually improves the stock DDR3 RAM bandwidth.

It's freaking 32MBs of CACHE. If you want to push 1080p art assets in real time, you need a LOT more than 32MBs of CACHE.

You need..... wait for it...... wait for it....

GDDR5 RAM!

qirex

One thing a lot of people don't seem to be getting is that even if they decide to delay the feature just producing a "clean" build without it is a major undertaking on a system that big, it's not like there's a snap = "true" flag in a header file and then they can just recompile and release, this is operating system software.

Korezo

Feel sorry for the people from the future that pre ordered Xbox1 because live and the remote was better than ps4s...

tkalamba

So, are people still denying? I know Reddit's XboxOne community is very stubborn and selective with their reasoning, but it seems we are getting all kinds of confirmations from all kinds of people. I mean, past thuway, CBOAT, and Mort.

What are the chances this is all incredibly overblown or just flat out false?

I know there was one very weak rumour this morning about PS4 also having OS issues because of reversed DRM. Even so, that rumour has really taken off by people who seem convinced of the Youtuber who posted it.

I need truthfacts

Thuway also mentioned PS4 OS issues in his tweets.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
ESRAM sounds damning, but I'm not concerned about snap causing crashes at this stage. It is a software development project after all, and we don't if it's all apps or just a few.
At this point it's becoming more and more apparent that the OS development for XBO has suffered from a serious lack of coherent focus, even going so far as to reinvent the wheel for things that already worked really well for the 360. It's typically not easy for software projects like that to recover quickly and the effects tend to linger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom