• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Adam Sessler's: On Xbox One and PS4's Resolutiongate, and Day One Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blbwas3YEBU

Basically says that Sony, MS, EA, Activision, etc. have pushed 1080p/60 fps as an improbable standard because of marketing, and PR. Then says that the games ultimately matter.

Also, a question about how day one patches matter for consoles.

---

Edit: So, after I watched today's Sessler's Something, I thought the whole argument was odd, since I remember Adam Sessler's pretty much arguing that his expectation were always 1080p/60 for these two new consoles, and that they needed to show something more.

So I looked up the video from his panel he did last June for this year's Screw Attack Gaming Convention, and well....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55mJl_zKAu0

Certainly, Adam Sessler has always said that games needs to innovate and show us(the consumers and the press) what a next gen concept and game is; but he certainly expected both the XBox One, and PS4 to be 1080p/60.

So now that we have confirmation that one system is clearly having issues with reaching 1080p/60 with multiplat games, what changed in Sessler's expectations?

This guy is on my shit list and has been for some time. I've gotten to the point where I disagree with virtually every position he holds.

Resolution and frame rate was a huge selling point for 360 multiplatform titles and now it suddenly doesn't matter? Where's the Jennifer Lawrence okay gif when you need it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like Sessler but he's repeating the same misunderstanding of the argument I keep hearing over and over. We're not saying that graphics are more important than gameplay, we're saying that it's a serious issue when a considerably less expensive console offers the same games with substantially better visuals.

Basically says that Sony, MS, EA, Activision, etc. have pushed 1080p/60 fps has an improbable standard because of marketing issues, says that the games ultimately matter.

Confusing sentence. Please see me after class.

Edit: Oh, you mean "pushed 1080p/60 fps as an improbable standard"

I like Sessler but he's repeating the same misunderstanding of the argument I keep hearing over and over. We're not saying that graphics are more important than gameplay, we're saying that it's a serious issue when a considerably less expensive console offers the same games with substantially better visuals.

Exactly. They are writing off our point entirely and that is a mistake. We matter. We're not fanboys for caring about this. We would hold the same position on resolution if the consoles were swtiched.

diamount

Banned
This guy is on my shit list and has been for some time. I've gotten to the point where I disagree with virtually every position he holds.

Resolution and frame rare was a huge selling point for 360 multiplatform titles and now it suddenly doesn't matter? Where's the Jennifer Lawrence okay gif when you need it?

Nice to see you have discovered time travel where you watched a 6 minute video in 2.

TheHater

Adam is becoming one of the biggest joke in video game journalism. No wonder many can't take video game journalist serious when so many refuse to present the fact to the readers.

badb0y

Ok, no one find it fucking weird that every major outlet is making apologist responses for Microsoft? What the fuck is wrong with these people?

Like do these people not understand that it's the same game, one version just looks better? Everyone of these "resolutiongate" responses always delves into "I want the games artistic design to be more interesting rather than it look better than the competitors," no fucking shit but that's not the point being discussed here.

Mr.Speedy

Banned
I'm not going to say his opinions don't matter but I lost a whole lot of respect for him when he had his childish VERY unprofessional Twitter breakdown.

Nice to see you have discovered time travel where you watched a 6 minute video in 2.

Nice try, but his position was outlined in the OP and I knew what his position was before I even walked into this thread because Sessler has turned into an apologist joke. Not to mention this video has been up for a while now.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think he's all over the place in this video, and he's neither incorrect nor insightful with any particular comment. Agreed, gameplay is important. Agreed, I want games to look interesting from an art perspective as well. No, IQ is not marketing and I don't want great IQ because that has been marketed to me-- it is important as this is a visual medium and graphics are a key part of the user experience. No, discussing resolution and how games look does not take away from people discussing the games and the gameplay itself (those games are not out yet so please let us know what you would like to discuss and we will do so).

This is really so perplexing to me. A very simple discussion was happening in the enthusiast community and the reaction to it has just been to treat it like an anathema; like technology is not or has not been something critical to our hobby for 30 years.

Just deal with it.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm not sure I can trust the words of a person, who was talking about quitting their work because they couldn't get a free console.

Shame...I used to deeply respect Sessler.

Elginer

Ok, no one find it fucking weird that every major outlet is making apologist responses for Microsoft? What the fuck is wrong with these people?

I feel they fear not getting MS support or in the case of some of these guys free games and consoles.

Derrick01

Banned
I only had to read the title to guess that he was going to make excuses for MS. He's been awful since they revealed the console with all their DRM.

It is as if the PS4 has some special hardware which automatically ups the resolution in games. I could see the point if that was true, but of course it isn't. The resolution is just an easily quantifiable representation of the current differences in power. It could be used for all sorts of other things.

Valnen

Nice try, but his position was outlined in the OP and I knew what his position was before I even walked into this thread because Sessler has turned into an apologist joke. Not to mention this video has been up for a while now.

The only joke here is your false beliefs.

I think he's all over the place in this video, and he's neither incorrect nor insightful with any particular comment. Agreed, gameplay is important. Agreed, I want games to look interesting from an art perspective as well. No, IQ is not marketing and I don't want great IQ because that has been marketed to me-- it is important as this is a visual medium and graphics are a key part of the user experience. No, discussing resolution and how games look does not take away from people discussing the games and the gameplay itself (those games are not out yet so please let us know what you would like to discuss and we will do so).

This is really so perplexing to me. A very simple discussion was happening in the enthusiast community and the reaction to it has just been to treat it like an anathema; like technology is not or has not been something critical to our hobby for 30 years.

Just deal with it.

It's more than perplexing. Like I said earlier, the 360 had superior third party titles and that was touted as a major advantage. Now that the PS4 is running games at a higher resolution and better frame rate it suddenly doesn't matter? Come again?

ZeroEdge

Hey guys you know what fuck cars I'm going back to horse and buggy cause it's "good enough" I mean they both get me from point A to point B right?

Seriously yes Games matter but so does performance, price and progress. If a fucking system is struggling running games in what should be a standard resolution for today's age how the fuck do you expect it to have the ability to power some awesome new game changing game or better AI as Sess talks about...

It's like fucking bizarro world in game journalism land where down is up, black is white, and 720p is the best thing ever...

mujun

How is it a "serious issue"?

Krakn3Dfx

Seriously, wtf, let's not acknowledge that the PS4 has the advantage this time around, let's do anything we can as journalists to completely muddle the waters and try to make it seem like MS didn't go out of their way to completely bone a complete generation of game consoles.

Sessler has been in defense mode over the XB1's problems since E3 though, so I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise.

UberTag

The other challenge to his argument is that when game publishers/developers offer us NO advances to speak of with their next-gen offerings over their current gen fare apart from visuals and the number of players that can play online with one another, it makes complete sense for the visual advantage to be overly scrutinized.

A lot of the next-gen promises of advanced/independent AI are just "pie in the sky" wish list ideas that very few developers will ever fully realize. Especially because they need to ensure these games will have current gen incarnations that play relatively the same until these new platforms build an install base.

Klocker

So then what's the point of next gen if graphics don't matter?

Just keep the same hardware if no one cares anyway

He didn't say hardware doesn't matter, he said animation, and Artificial Intelligence advancements primarily more so than resolution should be more or equally valued and improved upon with the new power

Josman

I'll never get people who say these things don't matter, when I think of next-gen the first thing that comes to mind is performance, gameplay remains the same, if I didn't care about graphics I'd stay on current gen ffs. I couldn't bear the jaggies and low resolution on BF3 ps3, if the X1 doesn't fix this issues and the ps4 does why the hell would I pay more for the X1? It matters, at least to most of us.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It really irks me how the gaming press is completely shrugging off the disparity between PS4/XB1 multiplat games. As others have said, the issue is that Microsoft is offering a $500 console that can't graphically compete with a $400 competitor.

People compared and published differences between PS3/360 multiplats (isn't this basically why Digital Foundry even exists?). Why not now that the tables have turned?

HORRORSHØW

Resolution and frame rate was a huge selling point for 360 multiplatform titles and now it suddenly doesn't matter? Where's the Jennifer Lawrence okay gif when you need it?
Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

This guy essentially cried because he didn't get a console and has been apologizing for Microsoft since their DRM bullshit. He's also had several twitter meltdowns. He's quickly approaching Gies/Polygon territory.

It amazes me how different the games media is when MS is in a tough position. Back in 2006 you were a complete pariah if you were a media person with a positive view on Sony. I still remember how much shit Shane Bettenhausen used to get on 1up yours from his fellow editors if he said anything remotely positive about the PS3. Now MS are getting the backlash from fans but there is nothing but the most vocal of support for them from the media at every misstep and it's totally out of tune with the public

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Honest question: If the issue was backwards; PS4 games as 720p vs Xbone's 1080p....would we have the same journalistic apologism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom