• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

GribbleGrunger
(11-06-2013, 07:58 PM)
Lock if old

"Some of the tracks needed updating," said Greenawalt. "Some of them needed light updating, and some of them needed heavy updating. Silverstone, for example, was a complete recapture. Several of our tracks were just plain wrong, either because they were poorly captured and technology's moved on, or the track's changed like Silverstone.

"We're grading the tracks on what state they're in, and if they didn't make the grade they were gone. For me it was less about do I want to deliver this or want to deliver that, I wanted to deliver the next-generation quality - and that meant having the shaders, and the imperfections in the concrete. And the easiest way to get those is to laser scan the track, as that captures those imperfections. We had old references on tracks where if the tracks we had were close we were able to go back to the old reference and recreate that imperfection. By definition that means these tracks take more time than ever."

"We're looking at laser scanning of everything moving forward - that's what it comes down to," Greenawalt said of Turn 10's approach. "We want that to be the standard for next-generation. Our goal's not to carry old content over - and even with all the cars, we did the same process. There were some inaccuracies, and some cars were old-spec that we'd updated from Forza 2 to 3 to 4. But they didn't have the poly count where we wanted it - and they weren't as easy to up-res, so we just recaptured them. Some of them, the spec was good and we could add polygons where we needed them. So it came down to this rating system - and any track or car that wasn't an A grade got either chucked or recaptured."

"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...s-than-forza-4
Weenerz
Banned
(11-06-2013, 07:58 PM)
Just spend $50 extra and you get the cars you are missing from Forza 4.
daxgame
(11-06-2013, 07:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Weenerz

/thread
Ludist210
"Why Forza Motorsport 5 has fewer cars and tracks than Forza 4"

Because they want more monies from people?
monlo
Banned
DLC

Duh

Pay more. You get.
Console baby rape.
Wynnebeck
get daddy a sandwich
(11-06-2013, 08:00 PM)

$50 DLC is just the beginning.
Night Hunter
Let me put this through the PR descrambler real quick

???

Airgetlam
I just assumed they wanted to get something out in time for the Xbox One launch.
paskowitz
In fairness, it is a launch title and people should have expected this.

Second, considering how absolute crap FM1-4's track accuracy was/is, I think it is better they properly recreate each track.
Triggerhappytel
(11-06-2013, 08:01 PM)
Because DLC.
Gigarator
R dott B
Launch title gonna launch title.
Gumball
(11-06-2013, 08:02 PM)
I'd rather the full deal straight up on the disc please.
Loudninja
No oxygen in space?
How does the sun burn?
Food for thought.
(11-06-2013, 08:03 PM)
Well it is a launch title,but they do have DLC coming out the very same month as the game.
Psycho_Mantis
Banned
(11-06-2013, 08:03 PM)
Bullshit.

Didn't Turn 10 admit that not all their tracks in F5 aren't laser scanned?
TheRealTalker
(11-06-2013, 08:04 PM)
aren't they having free dlc or something

10 cars every month

which is pretty cool

could be wrong though (about it being free)
El_Chino
(11-06-2013, 08:04 PM)

like Forza is the first to do so.
Amused
(11-06-2013, 08:05 PM)

Originally Posted by El_Chino

Huh?
monlo
Banned
(11-06-2013, 08:05 PM)

80 wrongs don't make a right
jordan0386
paid access - Netflix
paid access - Skype
paid access - IExplorer
paid access - TV guide
(11-06-2013, 08:06 PM)
All those words just to say, I didn't have enough time.
chubigans
y'all should be ashamed

Forza Motorsport 5's season pass costs some $50, and allows access to six monthly add-ons that feature 10 cars each. It's not an uncommon practice for the series, but is it good value? "The response has been good. That's not to say everyone's been happy about it. It's just to say that the response with people that have been buying it and redeeming it, it's one thing to buy it but if it's a season pass it's whether or not you log in every month to get it. People have been making the purchase and then logging in. It's kind of like the whole gym membership thing - you buy 6 months and you never go. With the season passes, people redeem it, so we're keeping people playing for 6 months."

Uh huh.

There's hope that some of those missing tracks will make their way to Forza Motorsport 5 - indeed there's a rumour that the Nurburgring is shaping up for release early next year - but there's no commitment from Turn 10 just yet. "We're looking at what we're going to add as DLC. Obviously we're committed to cars - that's something we do very well. We're looking at tracks as well to see what we can do there."

They're charging for the ring, aren't they? Wow. WOW.
Wilester

Originally Posted by Gigarator

Perfect.
DyslexicAlucard
(11-06-2013, 08:07 PM)
It's a launch game, and resources are more expensive than ever. This is pretty much happens at the launch of every new console.

Originally Posted by Pyscho_Mantis

Bullshit.

Dat triple negative...
jem0208
(11-06-2013, 08:08 PM)

Originally Posted by Airgetlam

I just assumed they wanted to get something out in time for the Xbox One launch.

Basically. Didn't have enough development time.

Oh well, what is in the game looks bloody amazing.
soundscream
ATTN MEN: visually inspect your condom before disposal

Originally Posted by Pyscho_Mantis

Bullshit.

Originally Posted by BADNED

Just for the info, every track has been rebuild from the ground up using laser scan data, varying from pure surface scans to full-on 3D scans, including fantasy tracks.

2 different types of scanning.
nikos
Greenwalt has been spewing BS for years.
Xanadu
Banned
(11-06-2013, 08:09 PM)

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ifj0FGLfIZoXU.gif[/IMG

haha
V_Ben
(11-06-2013, 08:11 PM)

Excellent Pilkington use, 10/10

Yeah, this excuse doesn't fly with me. If you're making less content because you're a launch game, that's fine. But don't excuse it with a mountain of paid DLC.
Demon Ice
I think it shows that they understand that people who buy an XBox 1 are perfectly okay with paying more for less.
El_Chino

Originally Posted by Amused

Huh?

Everyone is busting Turn 10's balls for the $50 DLC package. They're not the first or last to do so.

Originally Posted by monlo

80 wrongs don't make a right

No, just makes it the norm now. It's been successful for Battlefield and CoD so of course they'll do the same.
flyinpiranha
DLC and launch rush. It's sad to see this happen to such a great franchise. I'm pretty turned off by it honestly.
Krakn3Dfx
(11-06-2013, 08:12 PM)

#TRUTHFACT
RedNumberFive
Xbone credit card reader

One and done.
Ice Lightning
Nevermind, fine print states only for email recipient.
Last edited by Ice Lightning; 11-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Metfanant
(11-06-2013, 08:15 PM)
part of me says kudos to them for going quality over quantity...something that Polyphony could learn a lesson from...HOWEVER...the way they talk about the DLC for this game, you know they are just sitting on a large quantity of cars and tracks that were ready for launch but would rather get that DLC money
swordfishtrombones
(11-06-2013, 08:15 PM)

Originally Posted by Loudninja

Well it is a launch title,but they do have DLC coming out the very same month as the game.

Day one, even. So I don't buy the "not enough time" excuse.
ricochetguro
(11-06-2013, 08:16 PM)
The season pass is for cars only, not tracks right? That's the main killer, Forza has always had a paltry selection compared to Gran Turismo and instead of expanding they've cut the amount down to 14 :/ Game does look great though, and one imagines Forza 6 will have a greatly expanded selection.
The Crimson Kid
what are you waiting for
(11-06-2013, 08:19 PM)
Seems like it would just be best to wait for Forza 6.

I can deal with 200 cars, but only having 14 tracks is absolutely dreadful for a $60 racing game.

Between the extreme lack of tracks and the huge day 1 patch, it's clear that this game is getting rushed out the door regardless of whether it should or not. And this is assuming that the game functions properly.

Then you're up to 250. Forza 4 had over 500. And you're still missing a bunch of tracks.
NullPointer
#INTESTINAL
(11-06-2013, 08:19 PM)

Wouldn't you need five or six of those $50 car passes to match the number of cars in release day Forza 4?

And then there's the tracks. Next gen is expensive.
GrayFoxPL
(11-06-2013, 08:20 PM)

Originally Posted by soundscream

2 different types of scanning.

1. Scanning

2."Hey artist guy! Draw some track and shit, k?"
Xanadu
Banned
(11-06-2013, 08:22 PM)

Originally Posted by flyinpiranha

DLC and launch rush. It's sad to see this happen to such a great franchise. I'm pretty turned off by it honestly.

pgr5 was the true launch title needed rip
phosphor112
Banned
(11-06-2013, 08:22 PM)

"We found that we ship a game that has over 200 cars, and they're all to this level of detail with huge diversity. It's been a successful program for us, having the paid DLC. Those that don't want it don't have to get it, and those that want it can buy it. The season pass allows them to buy it as a subscription."

Also... damage control / PR articles need to stop.
shandy706
(11-06-2013, 08:23 PM)

Originally Posted by GrayFoxPL

1. Scanning

2."Hey artist guy! Draw some track and shit, k?"

I believe even the imaginary tracks are built off real road data from different locations.
Honey Bunny
(11-06-2013, 08:24 PM)

Casualties include Suzuka, Infineon Raceway and, perhaps most notably, the Nurburgring and its famously torturous 12.93 mile long Nordschleife configuration. They're victim, Turn 10's creative director Dan Greenawalt told Eurogamer, to the level of detail required in Forza's next-gen vision.

Pretty awful next-gen vision for a sim racer, then.

I get that it's difficult to create content-rich launch titles though, so if they release the Nurb as free DLC it's a non-issue...
Tokyo Rain
(11-06-2013, 08:26 PM)
Xboned.
Triggerhappytel
(11-06-2013, 08:26 PM)

That doesn't make it okay.
tbm24
(11-06-2013, 08:27 PM)

Originally Posted by V_Ben

Excellent Pilkington use, 10/10

Yeah, this excuse doesn't fly with me. If you're making less content because you're a launch game, that's fine. But don't excuse it with a mountain of paid DLC.

As someone who is looking forward to buying Forza 5 sometime in the near future, if the content like tracks aren't there id at least like to buy the dam nurburgring.
Team Vernia
(11-06-2013, 08:28 PM)
Already said in this thread, but... launch game.

Just how it is. The game looks amazing, though.
Off-Kilter
(11-06-2013, 08:31 PM)
It sounds to me that the product was rushed, and that they scrambled to update tracks and when they didn't meet the deadline, they were cut.

My initial takeaway from this is that it adds just a bit more credence to Cboat's claim that the Xbox One was meant for 2014.
El_Chino
(11-06-2013, 08:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Triggerhappytel

That doesn't make it okay.

Read my other post.