• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jeff Green's new band is called "Furtive Pygmy" [Black Dragon plays Dark Souls]

Bedlam

I love how quickly Jeff discovered the concept of the boss run, where you just run past all enemies.

Watching the latest one now. I want him to get the sword you can get from shooting the tail off the dragon soooo baaaaaad.
Bad idea. Then he'll never learn to upgrade weapons or fight properly for half the game.

Seriously, fuck the Drake Sword. It ultimately prevents players from getting good at the game and when it becomes useless, they hit a wall and quit.

I never suck at any game
I bet I could obliterate you at Rock Band.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I love how quickly Jeff discovered the concept of the boss run, where you just run past all enemies.

Bad idea. Then he'll never learn to upgrade weapons or fight properly for half the game.

Seriously, fuck the Drake Sword. It ultimately prevents players from getting good at the game and when it becomes useless, they hit a wall and quit.

I bet I could obliterate you at Rock Band.

You probably could. I don't suck at it though.

Dartastic

I just wanna see him try and shoot the tail a lot. Haha.

eot

Banned
Jeff another tip, I think you started as a Knight, so if you go back to Firelink Shrine (where you start after the tutorial) you can buy a healing miracle from an NPC. That'll effectively give you another 5 estus flasks. You might need to level up once to use it though.

fallagin

Hopefully jeff can get the black knight halberd, that shit is sick. I got it on my first playthrough and it tore shit up.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Jeff, do you happen to know this man?

7SCgdax.jpg

Just askin'.

JeffGreen

97.5: The Brodeo
Jeff, do you happen to know this man?

7SCgdax.jpg

Just askin'.

Dad?

Actually I have no idea who this is. Should I?

Also I won't be live streaming because I am going to a three hour French movie with my wife. Which may sound bad except I've been promised that there's girl-girl sex.

KHarvey16

Dad?

Actually I have no idea who this is. Should I?

Also I won't be live streaming because I am going to a three hour French movie with my wife. Which may sound bad except I've been promised that there's girl-girl sex.

I thought being three hours long and including girl-girl sex was a prerequisite for even being a French movie!

Enjoying the heck out of watching you go through the game.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
I can't stop watching Jeff play for some reason. If I could just play for him for one second, I could show him so many things that would help him enjoy the game much more, or so at least that's how I see it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Alright Jeff you've for real gotta figure this out!

Dark Souls attacks chain together, so if you press RB twice, it'll do to swings that connect together, some times the second swing doing more damage than the first.

Everytime you do a second swing, you're waiting too long to press the button again so the animation - and what you're actually doing - are basically "first swing, pause, first swing" as opposed to "first swing, second swing" like it's supposed to be.

You don't have to wait for the entire animation to be over before you input another command because most of the time (as long as you don't press it a billion times) Dark Souls will queue up at least one move of yours.

So if you roll and then press "drink health potion" while rolling, even if you're pressing the attack button by the time you're out of the roll you'll still take a drink and recover health first.

If you press RB and then press it again during the middle of your attack, you'll take another swing that combos with the first one.

You'll be taking out enemies a lot more swiftly if you just start doing 1 - 2 combos, rather than 1 - 1 combos.

nbthedude

Alright Jeff you've for real gotta figure this out!

Dark Souls attacks chain together, so if you press RB twice, it'll do to swings that connect together, some times the second swing doing more damage than the first.

Everytime you do a second swing, you're waiting too long to press the button again so the animation - and what you're actually doing - are basically "first swing, pause, first swing" as opposed to "first swing, second swing" like it's supposed to be.

You don't have to wait for the entire animation to be over before you input another command because most of the time (as long as you don't press it a billion times) Dark Souls will queue up at least one move of yours.

So if you roll and then press "drink health potion" while rolling, even if you're pressing the attack button by the time you're out of the roll you'll still take a drink and recover health first.

If you press RB and then press it again during the middle of your attack, you'll take another swing that combos with the first one.

You'll be taking out enemies a lot more swiftly if you just start doing 1 - 2 combos, rather than 1 - 1 combos.

You are not wrong, but what he is doing now is a huge improvement over smashing the attack button over and over again. To simplify I would just say this: in most cases he should be doing two quick attacks (RB) and then backing off to block/charge endurance/reposition.

nbthedude

New players like to armor up and play slow, so I think Lightning Zweihander is a good way to go. It teaches you how all the weird upgrades work, and you can always double back and make a proper fully powered standard version as well.

Its pretty good for someone who is playing with lots of single swing and defend patterns. And it trivializes certain enemies, like how it literally bashes those lizardmen in Sen's Fortress into the ground.

Or he could learn the efficient way to play and be an Uchigatana-weilding ninja hero.

I think in the long run Jeff would be better going for Strength based build and should mainly focus on Endurance, Vitality and Strength.

The reason for this is that it allows him to play slower. It seems like Jeff would have an easier time playing a slower, heavier character who blocks, take more hits and do more damage as opposed to a fast character who dodges a lot.

I think in the long run Jeff would be better going for Strength based build and should mainly focus on Endurance, Vitality and Strength.

The reason for this is that it allows him to play slower. It seems like Jeff would have an easier time playing a slower, heavier character who blocks, take more hits and do more damage as opposed to a fast character who dodges a lot.

I think this is sound advice, although I think he's going to take a shine to button mashing with his fast UGIGATANA on the next stream. :D

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I love that style but I've never been good at it. I've done heavy, I've done magic builds, but I've never been 100% on super light melee characters, just because it makes it so much more of an action game. Certain bosses are meant for it. Or minibosses. I always get naked to roll around Havel like a boss.

It's weird, I've got over 100 hours in Dark Souls and I've never done a strength build.

Right now I'm doing a magic/dex character and playing with the aggression mod for added difficulty. I feel like dex is an easier way to go than strength because with strength you have to be so deliberate with all of your actions and theres not as much room for error with those long wind ups

It's weird, I've got over 100 hours in Dark Souls and I've never done a strength build.

Right now I'm doing a magic/dex character and playing with the aggression mod for added difficulty. I feel like dex is an easier way to go than strength because with strength you have to be so deliberate with all of your actions and theres not as much room for error with those long wind ups

I've found my caveman playthrough to be much easier than my current Dexterity one, and he's 20 levels higher than my strength character.

The thing about strength is, you can just wail on something and either stun it or kill it immediately upon the first strike. Drop upgrades into vitality and you're always ready to take a hit, even being a naked caveman.

eot

Banned
New players like to armor up and play slow, so I think Lightning Zweihander is a good way to go. It teaches you how all the weird upgrades work, and you can always double back and make a proper fully powered standard version as well.

Its pretty good for someone who is playing with lots of single swing and defend patterns. And it trivializes certain enemies, like how it literally bashes those lizardmen in Sen's Fortress into the ground.

Or he could learn the efficient way to play and be an Uchigatana-weilding ninja hero.

Knocking people to the ground with the zwei's heavy attack is the best thing.

I also agree with the rest of you that strength builds are easier, you don't even need a shield for the most part. Just break poise and kill stuff.

nbthedude

Knocking people to the ground with the zwei's heavy attack is the best thing.

I also agree with the rest of you that strength builds are easier, you don't even need a shield for the most part. Just break poise and kill stuff.

Strength builds with high END + the spell Iron Sweat. That's Jeff's key to victory. :)

But for now he should just focus on building up END, VIT, and a little Strength.

I think some people in the chat had the expectation that Jeff should focus on endurance so he can do barnum and bailley's somersaults while PVPing after mastering the back stab. I don't think... that's going to happen.

I think making him a sword and board tank is the way to go. He can just keep getting better at what he's already doing and scale his health/stamina proportionate with the damage the enemies will dish out.

STR/END and then a little less on VIT. All day, every day.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think some people in the chat had the expectation that Jeff should focus on endurance so he can do barnum and bailley's somersaults while PVPing after mastering the back stab. I don't think... that's going to happen.

I think making him a sword and board tank is the way to go. He can just keep getting better at what he's already doing and scale his health/stamina proportionate with the damage the enemies will dish out.

Yeah for real. It seems like the chat keeps trying to push him towards maJur elite pr0 gam3rz skill when as a beginner, that's WAY out of the realm of reality.

Endurance seems like a really important stat for his playstayle at the start.

Also oh god.

Jeff.

This is important.

For real.

You regenerate stamina REALLY slowly while you're shield is up.

It's tough to do, but you've gotta put your shield down more in combat. It should be up when you're expecting them to immediately attack and down most of the rest of the time to make sure you have stamina to attack and block with.

nbthedude

I think you mean they were trying to get him to focus on Dex.

I agree with you Strength, Endurance and Vit are what he needs and match his playstyle. I'm sure he'll have fun with the Itchy Katana for a while. But he just picked up the Claymore, which is a fantastic heavy sword with great range and power. There is a reason it and Zweihander are a lot of people's favorite weapons, especially if you are playing a heavier, tank-like character.

I think you mean they were trying to get him to focus on Dex.
Yes! That's what I meant.

I've been trying to imagine what it would be like if he went the route of a ranged character. Having done it, it completely changes what makes you confident and what gets terrifying. It seems easier at first but then has wild difficulty spikes with increasing frequency.

ANYWAY, Jeff, if you're reading this thread when it gets bumped, when's the next likely chance you'll stream?

Balder Knights vs itchy katana.

Kind of like a quiz to see if Jeff's got the fundamentals of combat down and can take them on one at a time. Big rewards if he can get a the side sword drop!

derubermax

Neo Member
Love Jeff Green, now we need Shawn Elliott and the rest of the Brodeo to get back and stream together. That would be awesome. But yeah I love these Jeff Green 'Let's Play's'. Keep 'em coming Jeff!

He had an amazing run past all but one of the balder knights, stopped to admire the view, then got backstabbed.

He's also been rewarding runs with Trader Joe's peanut butter pretzels because he says he hopes it'll train him like a dog to do better.

Dartastic

That was awesome. So glad he didn't get killed at the end and made it to the bonfire. Now I just want Dark Souls 2 to come to PS4 so I can stream it too. :/

Owensboro

Love Jeff Green, now we need Shawn Elliott and the rest of the Brodeo to get back and stream together. That would be awesome. But yeah I love these Jeff Green 'Let's Play's'. Keep 'em coming Jeff!

Dream stream: Shawn Elliot, Jeff Green, and Robert Ashley all using DSFIX to play together, summoning each other into their games to help.

I don't think there's any new advice to give after this run.

He missed a few items in the zombie tower, but they might not be important. I forgot what they were.

Dealing with that nonsense in the church is pretty straight forward.

He's getting better really, really fast.

Top Bottom