• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall |OT| Nothing Stops This Rain

Skenzin

Banned
Well im gonna preface this by saying i love shooters, i dont care who makes them, for whatever system.

That said, The multiplayer of this game is awful. I have to vent this out. Having never played a killzone i was really excited to try something new on my new shiny ps4. Instead of a AAA it plays more like Perfect Dark Zero. A very rushed, awkward, and mixed bag shooter online.

Gameplay mechanics: running with a load in your parents and never finding a bathroom, only other pissed underwater runners. Shooting is ok but lack of good hit animations make it very unrewarding.

Maps: very dated feeling map design. Felt like i was playing red faction 2 again.

Graphics: Most shocking! Horribly jaggy looking. Smeary with a wierd LOD engine. goes from super jaggy to out of focus vaseline smear on a dime. Textures look great at extreme closeness, severaly feet away they look unloaded. Everything looks disconnected like a cabinet kitchen visualizer at the home improvement store. Yes you can see the seams. Cant believe this isnt 60fps.

Art style: highly derivative, part red faction, UT, gears of war. Takes a lot from other scifi games but doesnt make anything its own.

This is only from multiplayer. This game offends me that its so below average online. Maybe it needed more time. I feel better.

exYle

Well im gonna preface this by saying i love shooters, i dont care who makes them, for whatever system.

That said, The multiplayer of this game is awful. I have to vent this out. Having never played a killzone i was really excited to try something new on my new shiny ps4. Instead of a AAA it plays more like Perfect Dark Zero. A very rushed, awkward, and mixed bag shooter online.

Gameplay mechanics: running with a load in your parents and never finding a bathroom, only other pissed underwater runners. Shooting is ok but lack of good hit animations make it very unrewarding.

Maps: very dated feeling map design. Felt like i was playing red faction 2 again.

Graphics: Most shocking! Horribly jaggy looking. Smeary with a wierd LOD engine. goes from super jaggy to out of focus vaseline smear on a dime. Textures look great at extreme closeness, severaly feet away they look unloaded. Everything looks disconnected like a cabinet kitchen visualizer at the home improvement store. Yes you can see the seams. Cant believe this isnt 60fps.

Art style: highly derivative, part red faction, UT, gears of war. Takes a lot from other scifi games but doesnt make anything its own.

This is only from multiplayer. This game offends me that its so below average online. Maybe it needed more time. I feel better.

Did we play the same game?

Chorazin

I don't think you're playing the same game as the rest of us. Does the front of your box say Call of Duty Ghosts?

Vitor711

OK, the MP does look a little bit more blurry than the SP but not that much. It still looks great and is smooth as hell with great textures. The only issue is the pop-in that happens far too often and at a close range.

Also, the maps are awesome, the classes are fantastic and the gunplay feels great. It's one of my favourite MP shooters right now and on par with KZ2. 24-player Warzone is fantastic (if you're playing just TDM, you're playing it wrong).

spats

I disagree with every single point you've just made. Don't think I've ever had this happen before.

Beautiful graphics.

I hate the gameplay direction though.

I started playing today. Didn't even have a gun for the first 30 minutes or so. All cinematics, and then sneaking around with a knife. Not cool. Not a good way to start a game (poor design).

Half-life started without a gun. Is it poor design?

Then I killed a few enemies with my knife and I couldn't even take their guns. WTF? Very boring. I feel like I'm going to have to force myself to continue playing this again.

The instructions in the top right hand corner are in a tiny font and almost impossible to read. I'm sure it was fine on their monitors when they were developing the game, but do they even test their games on TV's themselves?

The OWL.... I don't want it.

The OWL is one of my favorite things about the game. It adds variety to the gameplay.

Can I just shoot some Helghast scum and blow stuff up already!? Maybe the game gets better later on, but my first impression right now is negative.

Guerrilla Games really needs to move onto a new IP and possibly find some new designers and directors.

I totally disagree. CoD and BF4 have very short, easy and forgettable campaigns. Killzone is the only FPS with a challenging campaign.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nah he's right. Killzone is ... not great.

Multiplayer looks awful too.
Here, does this really look awful to you? Textures look fantastic at a distance and retain full sharpness.

2x1.png

3x1.png

4x1.png

5x1.png

6x1.png

7x1.png

RaikuHebi

Banned
This game has grown on me. Which is weird since it's taken 3 replays of Chapter 2 for it to happen. The checkpoint system and saving aren't intertwined which was annoying to discover.

Anyway despite repeating the same thing over and over it has helped me get used to the controls. I don't play FPS at all usually (Not a multiplayer person either). Never played KZ till now. But I got the KZ Bundle since it's good value and has the best graphics to show off the launch. At first though the game started so slow and I kept dying:/didn't know what to do that I was gonna trade it in and get AC4. Glad I was patient as I'm quite enjoying it now. Won't be a classic, but worthy enough for launch I reckon.

Now let's discuss texture pop-in. Does this go away in other sections? Seems to be very noticeable in this chapter. I hope it's not my PS4. I wonder if those with SSDs/Hybrids are not seeing this, or if its to do with the game's code?

Here, does this really look awful to you? Textures look fantastic at a distance and retain full sharpness.

Odd, honestly, it looks nothing like that (to me, should I add that quantifier?) when I play multiplayer. The visuals take a pretty massive hit coming from singleplayer, to the point where I thought it had a lower resolution even.

Though looking at those shots, I might be somehow mistaken (because yes, these look good). Are they direct captures from someone running that game on an actual PS4?

Weird, I'm weirded out.

Odd, honestly, it looks nothing like that (to me, should I add that quantifier?) when I play multiplayer. The visuals take a pretty massive hit coming from singleplayer, to the point where I thought it had a lower resolution even.

Though looking at those shots, I might be somehow mistaken (because yes, these look good). Are they direct captures from someone running that game on an actual PS4?

Weird, I'm weirded out.

what resolution does your tv screen say when you play it?
In my case it turned out i had a HDMI splitter that lost a bit of signal so i couldn't get the PS4 to run in 1080P (the 1080P option was greyed out in the ps4 options).
I took the splitter out and from then on everything was nicely 1080P again. And looked much better than the 1080i i was playing before.

Nyx

Wow. You get the OWL, which let's you get the gun, then you get the ammo, then you go shoot dudes. It's like, 5 minutes, maybe 10 if you get lost.

I wanted to post exactly this.

Personally I'm loving the campaign so far (ch 5), DAT atmosphere!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

2x1.png

3x1.png

4x1.png

5x1.png

6x1.png

7x1.png

Wow, these pics look way sharper and cleaner than the game looks in MP for me. The FXAA blur in MP is the heaviest I've seen when it's on my TV. BF4 looks sharper and that's at a lower res and also using FXAA.

This game has grown on me. Which is weird since it's taken 3 replays of Chapter 2 for it to happen. The checkpoint system and saving aren't intertwined which was annoying to discover.

Anyway despite repeating the same thing over and over it has helped me get used to the controls. I don't play FPS at all usually (Not a multiplayer person either). Never played KZ till now. But I got the KZ Bundle since it's good value and has the best graphics to show off the launch. At first though the game started so slow and I kept dying:/didn't know what to do that I was gonna trade it in and get AC4. Glad I was patient as I'm quite enjoying it now. Won't be a classic, but worthy enough for launch I reckon.

Now let's discuss texture pop-in. Does this go away in other sections? Seems to be very noticeable in this chapter. I hope it's not my PS4. I wonder if those with SSDs/Hybrids are not seeing this, or if its to do with the game's code?

LoD pop in happens but chapter 2 and multiplayer are where it's most obvious. It's fine for most of the game. I have an SSHD myself so it's not just you.

I've really enjoyed playing Chapter 4 numerous times. Great variety in that level + plenty of opportunities to riddle Higs with bullets from various weapons. The auto-shotgun you can pick up in the first section is a joy to use during the penthouse raid/rescue section (if you can conserve enough ammo during the train section). Slow-mo auto-shotgun after repelling off the roof = sogood.gif

McLovin

The owl really didn't click for me until the last few chapters. I only really used it for hacking stuff. And when I got to a section when I had to grapple down I always had to remind myself I had the owl option. Also it would be cool if they let you know the sniper mode on your main gun can take force field guys out.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The owl really didn't click for me until the last few chapters. I only really used it for hacking stuff. And when I got to a section when I had to grapple down I always had to remind myself I had the owl option. Also it would be cool if they let you know the sniper mode on your main gun can take force field guys out.

Huh? It tells you this on screen every single time you encounter them and doesn't even let you fight the first one until the prompt comes up.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I made a how to play video of chapter 2 to help people out. I kind of had to rush through to make it fit in the time limit but I hope it helps some people. Each base I approach differently. The first is preventing enemies from hitting the alarm, the second is dealing with an alarm once it goes off, and the third it taking out the alarm before storming the base.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1387065241540954&l=8324546479312124402
Everyone should take a look at this video. I absolutely love it :) You've played it in an unconventional, yet perfectly logical way, it just shows that you can finish the level doing pretty much everything in a completely different way than another person would. I know in my case I did pretty much everything in a different way.

*edit* also, the link is broken now, but this link works: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1387065241540954&l=8324546479312124402

Nyx

Sometimes I see enemies and want to send my OWL towards them, only to find out it was still on Zip line and sending me towards them instead. :D

Wow, these pics look way sharper and cleaner than the game looks in MP for me. The FXAA blur in MP is the heaviest I've seen when it's on my TV. BF4 looks sharper and that's at a lower res and also using FXAA.

Right, so at least it's not just me.

what resolution does your tv screen say when you play it?
In my case it turned out i had a HDMI splitter that lost a bit of signal so i couldn't get the PS4 to run in 1080P (the 1080P option was greyed out in the ps4 options).
I took the splitter out and from then on everything was nicely 1080P again. And looked much better than the 1080i i was playing before.

Thnks, I'll check that, though I suspect it should be fine since it seems to run in 1080p most everywhere else.

Sid

Can someone please explain something to me that has really irked me. What do I adjust the gamma settings to?

am I supposed to slide it all the way to the left? do I leave it at default?

thanks.
What do you think of the SP?

IvorB

Beautiful graphics.

I hate the gameplay direction though.

I started playing today. Didn't even have a gun for the first 30 minutes or so. All cinematics, and then sneaking around with a knife. Not cool. Not a good way to start a game (poor design). Then I killed a few enemies with my knife and I couldn't even take their guns. WTF? Very boring. I feel like I'm going to have to force myself to continue playing this again.

The instructions in the top right hand corner are in a tiny font and almost impossible to read. I'm sure it was fine on their monitors when they were developing the game, but do they even test their games on TV's themselves?

The OWL.... I don't want it. Can I just shoot some Helghast scum and blow stuff up already!? Maybe the game gets better later on, but my first impression right now is negative.

Guerrilla Games really needs to move onto a new IP and possibly find some new designers and directors.

Are you being serious? I really don't get why everyone is lining up to sh*t on this game. You are without a gun for like 10 minutes at the beginning of the game. The OWL is a really cool gameplay addition but you don't want it. I feel bad for GG actually trying to inject some variety in a genre which is normally just the run-and-shoot which you want so badly. Because you know, just running around, shooting and blowing stuff up, THAT is boring.

IvorB

We've been abusing the shield. Indispensable.

D23

They made it much easier with the patch last week. Slowed it way down and improved controls.

wtf, theres a patch to make chapter 8 easier now??

wowowowowow. thats some bullshit lol. everyone should experience the pain of chapter 8

Zaibach

Banned
Having gone through 99 pages of comments and posts, I don't think I have ever seen such a polarizing game.

so divisive, like a Wall.......

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<

LoD pop in happens but chapter 2 and multiplayer are where it's most obvious. It's fine for most of the game. I have an SSHD myself so it's not just you.

There is a massive amount of blur when you run, to a point where you can't see shit in the distance. I started to just walk around lol.

EL CUCO

There is a massive amount of blur when you run, to a point where you can't see shit in the distance. I started to just walk around lol.

This is true. I also notice the FPS take a noticeable hit during the madness of 24 player Warzone. However, in KZSF's defense, it literally is MADNESS when everybody meets up at the objective and there's constant slaughtering and reviving going on. It really A BLAST! :D

wowowowowow. thats some bullshit lol. everyone should experience the pain of chapter 8

Yup.. also makes the end of chapter 7 shorter. They should all be purified thru the fire like the rest of us

RaikuHebi

Banned

This is true. I also notice the FPS take a noticeable hit during the madness of 24 player Warzone. However, in KZSF's defense, it literally is MADNESS when everybody meets up at the objective and there's constant slaughtering and reviving going on. It really A BLAST! :D

Yup.. also makes the end of chapter 7 shorter. They should all be purified thru the fire like the rest of us

I wonder if the blur is an effect they added or an unintended side effect?

Nipo

Yea, they might have over done it too. Was replaying it for the no death achievement and did it on the first try. I felt like I was taking crazy pills until I saw the patch notes.

dk_

Well, I think you PS4 might be broken or your TV sucks.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Chapter 7, how does that big sit in gun appear from no where(!!!) when those little spaceships appear? Took me ages to figure this one out - terrible design that.

Chapter 8, some tank with a big gun keeps mowing me down.

I wish the game was as open as chapter 2, l liked that level.

I'm pretty happy playing the game so far, it's been a real challenge. Certainly less hand holding in this game, feels kinda old school, which l like.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony

No, it should have been easy to begin with - it was supposed to be a short, fun eyecandy sequence to make you feel cool that you're flying through those buildings, and it ended up being a nightmare fuel for a lot of people. They still haven't corrected the HUD rotation that made me so confused which direction you're flying when you move the stick left or right btw, but the motion is much more exaggerated and obvious now that it's not an issue anymore I'd imagine.

TEH-CJ

Banned
What do you think of the SP?

Complete and utter disappointment. Has a few good moments but mostly its just a boring campaign that lacks any
memorable set piece or combat encounters. The last 4 chapters are the just beyond horrible, just terrible game design.

Vooduu

I'll just quote my self :)

Just finished the campaign.

No hyperbole when I say this. But hands down the worst fps I have ever played. Resistance 2 is a masterpiece in comparison to this disgusting shit.

I would even go as far and say its one of the worst games I have played. It was boring, tedious, broken fucking mess.

the last 4 chapters.....are just beyond horrid. I cannot articulate or express in words how bad it was. So bad infact, that I am returning the game tomorrow for knack and I have lost complete faith in Guerrila.

my score. 4/10

So what FPS are worthy of a high score in your opinion?

Alias03

... well that was one of my main complaints. Cutscenes, cinematics, etc.... 30-40 minutes in before you even see a gun.

Its just poor design IMO.

I already did that in Far Cry 3 a few months ago so it wasn't nearly as rad to me.

I know the feeling... I shot a bunch of guns in Wolfenstien3D back in '92 so shooting guns isn't nearly as rad to me either.

After having some trouble actually getting my PS4 I finally have a chance to play this but there's a weird audio issue where certain voices aren't playing. I assume there's meant to be narration at the very start, then the father was very hard to hear and voices were very low for the rest of the intro, although I could hear the helmetless Helghast fine. Anyone else experience this?

I'm playing chapter 7 now. Man the voice acting and animation of the lab-doctor is really really really bad...
The freefall bit in this chapter was hilariously easy and unoriginal. Damn, even Lego City undercover had FAR better freefall segments.
But i realise the biggest freefall segment is yet to come.

I'm at that point where the waves are coming. It's the most difficult part thus far for me personally and i will have to come up with a strategy here :p. Tomorrow.

But i have to say i really like the gameplay till this point. I do think they had a checklist of everything that was ever done in a game and decided they have to include everything in their game. Guerilla is faaar too talented now to do this imo. Just go with your own talents and stick to your roots Guerilla.
After having some trouble actually getting my PS4 I finally have a chance to play this but there's a weird audio issue where certain voices aren't playing. I assume there's meant to be narration at the very start, then the father was very hard to hear and voices were very low for the rest of the intro, although I could hear the helmetless Helghast fine. Anyone else experience this?
Have you tried the speaker setting options in this game? Setting them to small can make quite the difference.

DJ88

What genius created the credits sequence.

Slowest scrolling credits ever. They're in just completely random order instead of alphabetic so no fucking clue when the hundreds long lists are nearing an end. Credits every single person that may have even thought about working on a video game in their lives and their mothers.

Top Bottom