• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 thumb sticks might have a problem?

Ponchito

Just wanted to share my experience:

Have two DS4s since launch. A few weeks ago one the sticks started showing this issue. Called Sony, was told to take the producto to a Sony Shop, they received it and since it was under warranty, they gave me a new one a week later.

They did tell me that the warranty of the DS4 that I bought separately was 3 months, and the one that came with the system was for 1 year. I thought that was weird but filed the replacement for "the one that came with the system" to avoid any problems.

Tainted

My bought my PS4 back in May and I started to notice my left stick starting to flake away at the base.

I promptly bought some xbone sticks off ebay and modded my DS4 and haven't looked back :)

I haven't yet seen someone claiming to have a stick rubber peeling issue with colored controllers.
Sorry, wasn't clear on that, but I remember reading that people still have had problems with sticking triggers on newer ones, though there seems to be different reports of varying levels of the feeling of the rubber coating with the colored controllers, with some claiming it's different and some saying it's not or, at least, hard to tell. Most people who had it happen didn't report having problems with their pre-color controllers until a few months in and some are just recently finding it occur on launch units. I think I'll remain skeptical about newer ones until it's been a few months into the new year about any change since it's all been assumptions rather than Sony saying something about it, which they still haven't since this all started. Gamestops, at least around me, have still received and replaced them on such a regular basis that they immediately know what one is talking about when a problem with controller is mentioned.
Both launch controllers replaced. New ones made of different material. They are fine. That's all.
Fine, so let's hope for this being an effective solution as I don't want to think Sony is unaware of all that is going on with their controllers when they have to replace them directly.

Hugstable

Banned
Same here, even with the 'prepaid shipping' Protection Plan. I ended up working my way up the chain until I got passed to executive support and the sent me a shipping label.

Wait you can get shipping labels? Ugh I had to spend 7 bucks to ship it out. I mean it's not much at all, but still if I could have got a shipping label that woulda been nice.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Got my Kontrol freek alphas today. They still add some height but it they are more manageable than the cqcs I tried previously. The shorter height gives me a better grip and so far less thumb fatigue.

Grip is much better than stock because of the concave. the increased diameter also means my thumb feels more like its on top of the stick at all times versus hanging on for dear life when moving the stick in one direction for a long time. ( for example when performing unlimited stick sprinting in something like bf4 or destiny)

Haven't had any long play sessions yet so no final verdict yet on comfort but so far so good I say. Then again this is how I felt about the cqcs, cqc sigs, and Futbol freeks lol one thing I noticed is that these snap on much tighter. Gotta be careful when putting them on less th edges dig into the rubber. Not really designed to be constantly removed.

Some pics showing the added weight and increased diameter with these on.

filrFQI.jpg

hSoI28f.jpg

Got my Kontrol freek alphas today. They still add some height but it they are more manageable than the cqcs I tried previously. The shorter height gives me a better grip and so far less thumb fatigue.

Grip is much better than stock because of the concave. the increased diameter also means my thumb feels more like its on top of the stick at all times versus hanging on for dear life when moving the stick in one direction for a long time. ( for example when performing unlimited stick sprinting in something like bf4 or destiny)

Haven't had any long play sessions yet so no final verdict yet on comfort but so far so good I say. Then again this is how I felt about the cqcs, cqc sigs, and Futbol freeks lol one thing I noticed is that these snap on much tighter. Gotta be careful when putting them on less th edges dig into the rubber. Not really designed to be constantly removed.

Thanks for the update man!

Yeah, they already sort of look too tall for me :(

Kind of like the concave ORB stick tops from the UK that I recommended pages back, which I also ended up bailing on :/

LOLCats

Banned
Also got the alphas today in the mail. Feel nice to me ill do some diablo after dinner and report back

Alright, first impressions. Feel a little big, my thumb touches right analog if i hit square off center. Concave is nice yep and immediately you dont have thumb slipping off left analog syndrome. I do think these will probably damage the DS4 rubber over time. I will probably take off the right and only used left for now. But thats just an hour use, ill give it a few days and see how it goes.

Neither of my DS4s (the first one came at launch, was replaced due to sticky L1 and now this is a replacement I've had since June) have had this issue, and I'm hoping I won't get it. I don't use the thing all that much, though. Maybe 60-70 hours since I got it, if that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Also got the alphas today in the mail. Feel nice to me ill do some diablo after dinner and report back

Alright, first impressions. Feel a little big, my thumb touches right analog if i hit square off center. Concave is nice yep and immediately you dont have thumb slipping off left analog syndrome. I do think these will probably damage the DS4 rubber over time. I will probably take off the right and only used left for now. But thats just an hour use, ill give it a few days and see how it goes.

same here. grip wise it is so much better than my slippery, worn stock left thumb stick. even with sweaty hands my grip is still pretty good.

these seem much tighter than the previous kontrolfreeks ive tried. if you don't put it on carefully it can actually dig into the and/or push down on the sides of the rubber a bit. i did that the first time and was like oh shit. it also left a ps4 identation in the center of my worn left thumbstick. lol

definitely not designed to be taken on and off often.

blazeuk

I thought I was fairly lucky with my launch PS4 not having this problem but today it has finally revealed itself, left stick has managed to split in 2 places, not sure when it happened but I've only just noticed it today so that's what I'm going with. Not sure what to do yet, either get a replacement or just replace the sticks with Xbox One ones instead.

Spinluck

So, Sony is having me send both my controllers in separately because of this issue. Both of my controllers are suffering from this wearing bullshit, and they said I'll get them replaced (yay). One of them even has this issue where the sticks are not aligned correctly and it results in an inaccurate input whenever I use it. They assured me that they'd look into it and send me a replacement.

Now here is the bad news, only the one that came with the console is covered. The one that I bought separately is not going to be covered unless I find the receipt for proof of purchase. I have moved since I bought my PS4 and controller (bought them on the same night), and have no idea where the receipt may be, is there a workaround this? Really inconvenient for me at the moment.

My sticks just started tearing on me too. The builds are shoddy and I'm tempted to get a white controller.

Instead u Got some GelTabz off amazon and put them over the tearing rubber. They feel fine now, but I think I'll be better off ripping the rubber off & reapplying them

mekes

I have an issue with both DS4's I got with the PS4 (big bundle with the camera included).

On the pad I tend to play on the most, I have rubber flaking away on the left analogue.

On the pad I hardly touch let alone play on, the left analogue is messed up. L3 jams and doesn't respond properly, and moving left on the stick results in glitching diagonally up and down - say 7,1& finally 4 on your number pad on the keyboard. I wonder if its another 'grit' problem.

Sending the second one back. I don't really care about the first one, not to the point of having no damn pad to play any games with after buying so many games lately. Sony have emailed me a label to print and say it will take 21 days. So I will suffer the breaking first pad.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
All 3 of my DS4s sticks were jacked within months, have replaced the sticks in two of them.

But now on my last virgin, unopened DS4, the R2 has gone wonky. It will trigger if you breathe on it the wrong way. While playing Diablo it just constantly triggers my R2 move off and on.

Santar

Maybe it's time to remove the "might " from the thread title?
I mean, even people with the new white destiny sticks has this problem.

Minions

My left stick has competley fallen apart due to use, can't afford a new one atm so will have to pick up cod on my xbone:/

Tiger direct has DS4's for $30 after a $20 rebate and $10 discount coupon.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=lw9MynSeamY-DT.lONtEB7VGu1wwFbdHIw

Use:
http://slickdeals.net/f/7270554-tigerdirect-coupon-10-off-50

to get a $10 off coupon. Making the controller $50 with a $20 rebate.

That is the best deal on dualshock 4's that I can find....

No_Style

My DS4's left thumbstick is falling apart. Contacted Sony via chat and they're sending me a box to ship it back to them. Surprisingly easy to get the process going. Hopefully it's equally easy to get a replacement back to me.

Hugstable

Banned
how long does the whole repair or replacement process usually take? Sent my controller about 4 days ago but I have no idea how to know when they actually get it or are sending it back. Do they usually just give new controllers or do they just replace the sticks?

superheisenberg

Neo Member
Just wanted to post my experience as well.

Two controllers since launch, stick peeling issue happened pretty quickly and I play the thing about 5 hours a week, 10 max. So I got whatever brand the covers that gamestop carries are. They're fine.

A week ago I was hit with the R2 failure. Thing just went limp. Seems like a problem with spring or w/e. Called it in, got case number.

For a long time I have noticed a problem with my *other* launch DS4. Mostly the cursor constantly moving by itself in the web browser. Didn't really effect ingame much. Then I started really feeling it in 2k15, similiar to what someone a few posts up describes. The inputs for my left analog stick are super inaccurate and clunky.

Called it in. Requested to be able to ship them together, no dice. Only option is chat on a sunday but I will call tomorrow. I'm never the type to complain but I feel like this is unacceptable. At least give me a return label to ship this garbage in.

Good luck out there.

Grimsen

Either my 100+ hours of Destiny or my 3 year old's tiny nails have finally caused my launch ds4 to have ripped thumbsticks.

I just ordered some XBONE thumbsticks on eBay. Can't wait to give them a try, actually.

terrible

Banned
Either my 100+ hours of Destiny or my 3 year old's tiny nails have finally caused my launch ds4 to have ripped thumbsticks.

I just ordered some XBONE thumbsticks on eBay. Can't wait to give them a try, actually.

Considering how common this is I don't think you can blame your 100+ hours with Destiny or your child's nails. The poor build quality is the only thing you can blame.

Grimsen

Considering how common this is I don't think you can blame your 100+ hours with Destiny or your child's nails. The poor build quality is the only thing you can blame.

Yeah, its a weird problem. Mine took almost a year to break, as opposed to weeks or months for others.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
So I put these covers on my right stick. Though, when I push it to the up and right the cover bumps into the glossy part of the face button area. Has anyone used these and noticed it affecting their right stick movement in-game?

Had to replace my first controller because of a trigger problem. Best Buy warranty worked for a change. When I got back, I noticed that my second controller was starting to get wonky too. Same problem, the trigger. Although that controller was under warranty too, I decided to look up this issue and saw that it's fairly common. I popped open the controller and removed both springs from the triggers and now it works great. It might be a tad too sensitive, but I've adapted.

Vespene

I recently bought a white DS4 and noticed the rubber material on the thumb sticks feels different from my launch day PS4's. I think the corrected the problem and the people experiencing the problem are launch line consoles.

slapnuts

click pic to zoom
filrFQI.jpg

My launch PS4 controller had the same textures (abit rough) as the left thumbstick in the pic above but my new separately bought PS4 controller i just bought has an all smooth texture on both sticks.....

One of the first things i noticed with my launch PS4 controller was the texture being like that in the pic above...but now with the new PS4 controller i bought, its smooth, completely on both sticks...maybe they are using a new material now or there was an issue with how the rubber molding was with the launch era controllers? Not sure....what i do know is side by side both of my launch and newly bought PS4 controller have very different textures with the new one being much better imho

PS my launch ps4 controller is still fine, no wear down yet or any rips occurring yet.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I recently bought a white DS4 and noticed the rubber material on the thumb sticks feels different from my launch day PS4's. I think the corrected the problem and the people experiencing the problem are launch line consoles.

My controller that Sony sent me had the different rubber. My right stick is worn down, but my left is completely fine. :(

This is a bit off-topic, but has there been any news about the Magma Red variation coming to North America? I hadn't seen anything online, myself, after it was said to be coming then didn't and only Blue did. However, when I was at Walmart, their shelf had a spot for it with a price tag.

That said, the price was $59.99, not $64.99 CAD like the others, and that entire shelf was devoid of any DS4s. The only ones I could find were a couple white ones featured elsewhere.

I want the Magma more than White, so I'm curious.

SAiLO

Out of two DS4's I've had since launch one has developed a peeling thumbstick problem and also the same stick does not work properly. Sending for repair/replacement.

My second DS4-- bought at launch last year-- has started to peel bad. Good thing I bought two sets of those X1 analog sticks just in case. The other two DS4s I have were both purchased this summer so hopefully they're of a different batch and aren't as prone to degradation as the first two :\

51UDClqQjyL._SX300_.jpg

Just bought these the other week because my DS4 was starting to rip pretty bad. I love them. The were kind of a bitch to get on though.

It does feel like the might be stopping the thumb stick shorter than what it can actually go

Sizzle55

Called Sony the other day about replacing my two DS4's said just take them to the store I bought them at for a straight swap. Took them back today swapped over no problems, thanks Eb Games and Jb Hi Fi was easy to deal with. Always keep them receipts guys! Though EB saves them to your membership card.

jonabbey

51UDClqQjyL._SX300_.jpg

Just bought these the other week because my DS4 was starting to rip pretty bad. I love them. The were kind of a bitch to get on though.

It does feel like the might be stopping the thumb stick shorter than what it can actually go

Yeah, These are what I got at Fry's. Love these. You just have to turn them inside out, put them on top of the sticks, and let them flip right side out over the sticks.

Cyborg

My left analog stick began peeling a little bit after about a year of use, so I grabbed some analog covers at Labi in Japan. Gotta say, they feel even better than they did new. Love the grip and texture of the rubber. Even if your thumbsticks aren't ruined, it's worth considering grabbing covers. They're typically cheap too.

this is what they look like by the way. Brand's called "Cool Clown":

m0fbEty.jpg

I have the same but they arent that great. They are from different material than the original and they have very lil grip!

My launch controller started showing signs of wear within the first month. I tried using Orb Thumb Grips, they worked for a while but occasionally they'd slip off the stick entirely. Maybe it's because I played FIFA a lot, I don't know. In August I finally decided to upgrade to the Xbone sticks. In my opinion they are an absolute necessity when it comes to these controllers. My brother bought a Dualshock 4 about a month ago. The thumb sticks are already starting to peel off. It's crazy how Sony will charge £40+ for these controllers despite its obvious flaw.

ArynCrinn

Banned
Posted this in the other thread a long time ago, but looks like we all had the same idea.

My solution, for the moment, be great if I could find a gel cover/s/FPSFreaks that also covered the entire stem... Tiny rubber bands could also be a deterrent to wearing the stem's rubber down. :\

d8pa1me.jpg

And for the whole bedroom setup, mostly for playtesting.
yHzNZu2.jpg

Finally got the vastly superior PS3 style analogs, now I will actually be able to shoot with precision.

This is how the controller should have been.

wow... this is perfection. Convex is always better for analogue sticks. Where did you get these? Do you have to exchange the entire sticks?

naw. concave on the left stick for better grip.

What grip? Stock DS4 sticks are the opposite of "grip".

Ogawa-san

I got these covers, and I sure got what I paid for: $3 thumb spikes. At least it keeps the original sticks from disintegrating... I guess.

9ohWMBO.jpg

I might try those X1 sticks next, but I'm pretty sure I'm not getting original ones for $5. Still worth it?

Top Bottom