• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eddie Guerrrero is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackMage

Banned
Willco said:
Nobody is making light of his death. Whatshisface said that the documentary was laughable that he came back from his inner demons to win a championship, when a championship is nothing but a scripted event. It's not like he earned it through hard work.

I see a bunch of oversensitive wrestling fans, one person saying the documentary is a farce and two others bothered by the fact that this is three (correction: four!) pages and the Veteran's Day topic is like, five posts.

I don't see anyone saying, "Good riddance."

wrong place, wrong time maybe?

Willco

Hollywood Square
BlackMage said:
wrong place, wrong time maybe?

Since I doubt anyone knew Eddie Guerrero personally, and Littleberu made a legitimate reply to someone posting the documentary, I don't know whether or not I'd say that. It'd be a different case altogether if the topic starter was like, his son or something. He's an entertainer who sadly passed away and I don't think anybody has said anything to the contrary.

BlackMage

Banned
Willco said:
Since I doubt anyone knew Eddie Guerrero personally, and Littleberu made a legitimate reply to someone posting the documentary, I don't know whether or not I'd say that. It'd be a different case altogether if the topic starter was like, his son or something. He's an entertainer who sadly passed away and I don't think anybody has said anything to the contrary.

How fucking dense are you? Knew him or not, someone DIED.. his post wasn't legitimate it was fucking uncalled for.

Willco

Hollywood Square
BlackMage said:
How fucking dense are you? Knew him or not, someone DIED.

I'm going to use this quote any time someone mocks a celebrity or a public figure, which absolutely nobody did in this thread, that passes on the forum. I'm sure this time it's different because it's Eddie Guerrero!

his post wasn't legitimate it was fucking uncalled for.

Someone posted the documentary, Littleberu said:

The DVD clearly state that he defeated his inner demons and then WON the WWE as an act of victory. WTH. Ok, you can watch WWE all you want, you can find it exciting, but there are NO "triumphant victory" in this.

That's not legitimate? C'mon. We're being a tad oversensitive. Littleberu never said he was glad Guerrero was dead or anything. It's totally sad that Guerrero passed, and again, nobody has said anything to the contrary.

Nameless

Where were you Drinky in the Terry Schivo threads?

I'm not going to get into the whole wrestling is teh fake111 arguement, because its a fact that these guys are better atheletes than many guys who play "real" sports. And yes, this thread sure did bring out a ot of assholes. If you don't think his death warrants the response its been getting here DONT FUCKING POST IN THE MOTHERFUCKIN THREAD.

I've been a hardcore wrestling fanatic since I was 3-4 years old. And there has not been a stint of time where I have not followed the SPORT avidly, so when a wrestler dies, especially the one with the talent of Eddie Gurerro, it is a big deal as far as I'm concerned. For the past several years hes been one of the top 5 workers in the company EASILY. And for hes career you could always count on the guy to give you a great match.

Latino heat will be missed for sure.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from this DVD cover... obviously WWE treats the title as a legitimate goal because in fake world the title is what you train and persevere to get, but you want them to say on DVD covers that "Eddie Guerrero was written in to win the belt!" rather than "Eddie Guerrero defeated his tough rival to win the championship"? If they're keeping up the idea that titles are legitimate and hard-work to win on the TV shows, it follows that they would do the same on their DVD retrospectives.

There shouldn't be any debate here except from angry people that are still upset about how they found out wrestling was fake when they were 10 and are still bitter about being tricked for all those years. Eddie Guerrero was an incredible athlete, and while I don't expect people that don't follow wrestling to understand, surely you can respect a guy that wrestles and takes abuse 10-40 minutes at a time in a wrestling ring while still keeping his stamina and agility. That's a true athlete, and it should be respected whether or not you understand all the other factors that attribute to a great wrestler.

BlackMage

Banned
Willco said:
I'm going to use this quote any time someone mocks a celebrity or a public figure, which absolutely nobody did in this thread, that passes on the forum. I'm sure this time it's different because it's Eddie Guerrero!

please do, because i will support you.

NLB2

Banned
whytemyke said:
We like our heroes to be larger than life and able to take on the world... not the everydayman like your soldiers or firefighters are. So is it any real surprise that we show more shock when the 'larger than life' people die than the people who make the choice and sacrifice without our praise? Certainly the soldier deserves our praise more than the wrestler, but at the same time soldiers are never really held up on pedastals of invincibility. It's more tragedy and less shock when we see soldiers die than it is when we see our 'Titans' die.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/MedalOfHonorAudieLMurphy.htm

Nameless

Well since Raw and SD are being taped together hopefully they'll give Eddie the "Owen Hart Treatment" and dedicate one of the shows to rememberign his career and letting wrestlers share their feelings for the guy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Nameless said:
Well since Raw and SD are being taped together hopefully they'll give Eddie the "Owen Hart Treatment" and dedicate one of the shows to rememberign his career and letting wrestlers share their feelings for the guy.
Both shows are going to be tributes.

HOLY SHIT.

I was literally shocked and saddened for a while by this. I have really enjoyed Eddie over the years and this is a loss.

WWE really needs to go balls to the wall with a zero tolerance drug testing poilcy to start curbing this early death due to drugs. Its no secret in the industry, and if they aren't going to do anything about steroids, they can at least come clean about the other drugs flying around the WWE.

damn...

Willco said:
Nobody is making light of his death. Whatshisface said that the documentary was laughable that he came back from his inner demons to win a championship, when a championship is nothing but a scripted event. It's not like he earned it through hard work.

I was referring to him being called "replaceable". I think that most would consider that 'making light' of his death. Don't get me wrong. I wasn't offended, as I don't know anything about the guy who died except that he appeared in the WCW Nitro game.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Guys, I agree with all of you that WWE should go balls to the wall drug testing, but its not going to happen. WWE encourages the use of steroids every time they push someone like London to the back of the pack while giving Chris Masters major face time on TV. Its part of the buisness and it allways will be. There are only a few people in the WWE that might not be on steroids.. HBK, Edge, Christian (he was with the company until recently), Y2J (no longer with WWE) and a handfull of others (Kurt Angle is big, but I think he is likely clean, Shelton might be as well). If you look at those guys, they look like athletes you see in other sports. But 99% of the locker room has pecs sticking out farther than their nose (well, not in HHH's case :lol ). Hell, Vince McMahon roids.. at his age no one should be that size and he blew out both MCL's and was walking again within months.

Its the nature of the buisness, and its a shame, but nothing is going to change this. Most of the wrestlers accept the fact that they will die young (but not this young). If you need any more proof go listen to that HBO sports show with Bryant Gumble on the subject. Rowdie Roddy Piper told the truth and was kicked to the curb for years over his comments.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Littleberu said:
What I meant is this :

Lance Armstrong had the cancer, fought it, and won the Tour de France.

This guy had a drug overdose, came close to death from a car accident, and then won a WWE Championship.

Now let's put it this way : The guy had a drug overdose (not cool), came close to death in a car accident (not cool too, probably due to drug or alcool), and then won a WWE Championship (which is like beating the bad guy in a movie).

Do you guys UNDERSTAND? There's no honor in winning a WWE championship after these things. Maybe if had cancer, lost a lot of weight, and had to compete in a nationnal true physical endurance event (i.e. not fixed).
I'll be sure to troll the highlight of your professional career when you die.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
was this just Drinky and MAF testing how far their ban immunity goes?

back on topic, do you think the government could ever step in and figure out just what the fuck goes on in wrestling and why so many wrestlers die so young and try and regulate it or something? This is getting ridiculous.

J2 Cool

Ninja Scooter said:
back on topic, do you think the government could ever step in and figure out just what the fuck goes on in wrestling and why so many wrestlers die so young and try and regulate it or something? This is getting ridiculous.

I agree. I mean, the wrestlers began to figure it is not a real sport. There's no advantage to steroids. So they feel no guilt, and nobody's going to be checked. After all, it isn't real competition. One guy does it, gets an edge for being built in a business of tough guy appearances. To keep up meanwhile, another guy has to do it. And it rolls from there. All of a sudden around 40 years old, they're all realizing their health has deteriorated and has gotten dangerous from constant use. It's a horrible situation, and someone seriously needs to step in. If not the WWE, as they've had their chances, than the government seems the right ones for the job. It's just too much.

karasu

Willco said:

I see a bunch of oversensitive wrestling fans, one person saying the documentary is a farce and two others bothered by the fact that this is three (correction: four!) pages and the Veteran's Day topic is like, five posts.

I don't see anyone saying, "Good riddance."

Are you serious? I haven't watched wrestling in years, and of course we all knew it was fixed when we were eight But since when is rising to the upper levels of your chosen field not earned through hard work? Is he involved in REAL combat? No. Fuck No. Did it take him lots and lots of hard work, sacfrifice and dedication to rise to the level that he did? Yes. Fuck yes. Anybody who says different has obviously never achieved anything more significant than a few humorous quips on a message board. For a time in his life he held the one of the most coveted positions in his field. That's achievement. It's no different than an actor landing a coveted role when nobody thinks he has a shot. Except it's live, more dangerous, more of a solo endeavour, and requires much more preparation.

Mr Gump

Banned
Holy shit some people need to be banned in this thread.

Too many pompous ignorant fucks here that dont know shit to save their own lives, let alone make light of the fall of anothers.

Matlock

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Littleberu

MrAngryFace

Drinky Crow

Fixed, because someone whined that the ban was "hypocritical" and shouldn't stand because it was an "honest opinion."

Willco

Hollywood Square
karasu said:
Are you serious? I haven't watched wrestling in years, and of course we all knew it was fixed when we were eight But since when is rising to the upper levels of your chosen field not earned through hard work? Is he involved in REAL combat? No. Fuck No. Did it take him lots and lots of hard work, sacfrifice and dedication to rise to the level that he did? Yes. Fuck yes. Anybody who says different has obviously never achieved anything more significant than a few humorous quips on a message board. For a time in his life he held the one of the most coveted positions in his field. That's achievement. It's no different than an actor landing a coveted role when nobody thinks he has a shot.

This is an argument for a different time and place. I'll say this without mentioning Guerrero, because we should stay on topic about his passing, that winning a scripted event is not an achievement. That "actor getting a role" analogy doesn't even make sense, as well. Getting your life together after being addicted to drugs is much more meritable than winning a scripted, fake event that is just entertainment. If anything, Guerrero should be applauded for the former, because beating drugs is hard, so I understand why some have a hard time swallowing that he should be commemorated for winning an illegitimate championship.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OK, I'm not into wrestling at all, but it's sad to see someone die so young. :/

And yeah, "heart failure" sounds a bit fishy. If it's really true that steroids are common in wrestling, that's kind of twisted. :|
I mean shit...I can imagine the use of it going wild if there's noone to regulate and control it. And it's obviously, in many ways, not healthy for your body.
But in a way, it sounds a bit like sumo wrestling...where they eat a lot and die relatively young (and they're fully aware of it, of course)? Although I wouldn't compare wrestling to sumo in any other sense of course.

Guzim

Here are some of the spoilers so far from the taping from PWTorch.com
The show started up with the crowd chanting "Eddie, Eddie." Many fans in the building have signs dedicated to Eddie Guerrero. On the stage, as a tribute to Eddie, they have his car set up. Lilian Garcia opened the show by saying this would be a special tribute show for Eddie Guerrero. There was no pyro, and no special introduction of any of the announcers.

(1) Mr. Ken Kennedy defeated Val Venis in about five minutes. Kennedy got major heel heat for being from Green Bay and playing that up quite a bit while in the midst of Viking Country. This was apparently either a dark match or a Heat match.

Afterwards, all the wrestlers came out. Chris Benoit was crying from the moment he came out of the curtain, and was perhaps more emotional than anyone. Vince McMahon then said some words about Eddie: "Eddie Guerrero has passed away. Eddie was in the prime of his life, in the prime of his career. Tonight we celebrate the life of Eddie Guerrero. He loved the business. He had a passion like no one else. Whether cheered or booed, he loved to perform for the fans. Eddie Guerrero's goal every night was to steal the show. He would want the show to go on. And so we shall."

They had a 10-bell salute for Eddie, and the crowd was silent for it. After this, they aired a tribute video set to Johnny Cash's rendition of the Nine Inch Nails song "Hurt." When the video was done, Vince said, "Viva La Raza!" Pretty much everyone was out for this, including Shane McMahon, who was crying as well. The fans chanted "Thank you, Eddie!"

John Cena then had some words about Eddie: "Eddie was a father figure. Eddie was a man of faith, but selfishly, we'll all miss him."

(2) Big Show & Kane defeated MNM in about four minutes. This wasn't technically a squash match, but it was pretty close to it. The finish came on a chokeslam. Before the match, they showed the angle where Eddie sprayed Big Show with raw sewage from a past Smackdown show.

(3) Kurt Angle defeated Shelton Benjamin. Benjamin got a near fall with a wicked looking back suplex off the top rope. Angle was able to kick out of that and apply the anklelock for the submission victory.

After that, they showed a bunch of old Eddie and Chavo comedy skits from over the years. Chavo on the big screen then gave an emotional speech about how Eddie was like a big brother to him. He talked about how much he looked up to Eddie and how much teaming with Eddie meant to him.

It was confirmed that Joey Styles, Jerry Lawler and Jonathan Coachman are doing the commentary for the Raw show. The show is being presented in such a way that there are no angles whatsoever. It's simply matches and video segments.

(4) Rey Mysterio defeated Shawn Michaels in about 10 minutes. Michaels went for the sweet chin music, but Mysterio was able to avoid it. Mysterio then hit the 6-1-9 and dropped the dime to get the pinfall victory. During the pin, Michaels' legs sort of flailed about, but they still counted the pin. After the match, Mysterio and Michaels hugged. It should be noted also that during the course of the match, Mysterio paid tribute to Eddie by doing his little celebratory dance, which was a nice touch.

Willco said:
Getting your life together after being addicted to drugs is much more meritable than winning a scripted, fake event that is just entertainment.
Once again, you're devaluing the title without knowing what you're talking about. The title isn't randomly handed out to random wrestlers. It's similar to an actor winning an Oscar for their excellent performance in a movie... the title is given to the wrestler that performs better than all of the other wrestlers, or the wrestler that most deserves the responsibility of being champion because they deserve a chance at the main spotlight.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Once again, you're devaluing the title without knowing what you're talking about. The title isn't randomly handed out to random wrestlers. It's similar to an actor winning an Oscar for their excellent performance in a movie... the title is given to the wrestler that performs better than all of the other wrestlers, or the wrestler that most deserves the responsibility of being champion because they deserve a chance at the main spotlight.

I never said it was handed out at random. I'm sure that marketing, popularity and sales all factor into the decision. At the end of the day, it's a fake, scripted event.

Guzim said:

I almost cried reading that. A big FUCK YOU to the idiots who think that "honest opinons" were needed here for this thread.

J2 Cool

Guzim said:

That was great, and a classy thing done by the WWE. I'd definitely going to be watching Raw/Smackdown this week. First in at least 5 years :(

the title is given to the wrestler that performs better than all of the other wrestlers, or the wrestler that most deserves the responsibility of being champion because they deserve a chance at the main spotlight.

I hope by "perform better" you mean on the mic...

If not I call bullshit. My proof? 99.9% of the heavyweights that have held a belt in the WWF.

Matlock

Banned
I'll be watching Raw, no Smackdown...man, it seems that they pull their shit together and do a really great show whenever something shitty happens. :\

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guys please just cut it out with this shit. This isn't the place for that. :/

Willco said:
I never said it was handed out at random. I'm sure that marketing, popularity and sales all factor into the decision. At the end of the day, it's a fake, scripted event.

So since it's fake and scripted... I'm sure you have the talent to get in there and do it?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This would explain why so many people called the store today asking for his action figure...and it would also explain why we sold out of the Classics Series of him so quickly.

J2 Cool

Cerebral Palsy said:
I hope by "perform better" you mean on the mic...

If not I call bullshit. My proof? 99.9% of the people who have held a belt in the WWE.

In some facit they performed better. Either as an entertainer(Warrior, Hogan, Austin, Taker, The Rock) or as a wrestler(Benoit, Eddie, Bret Hart, Michaels). There's definitely been some horrible champions but it's always great to see the truly great performers in the ring win it. Outside of Benoit, that small list are pretty decent mic men too, though Benoit's exceptional ring skill makes up for it. I think Eddie was a seriously complete wrestling entertainer. He's helped the business and entertained every way he could for years.

bobble

I've been gone for the weekend and found out from a text message from a friend a few hours ago while I was in my car....... I nearly barfed :( RIP Eddie. LWO for life.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hoefully Eddie is having 5 star matches with the likes of Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, and Mr. Perfect in wrestling heaven right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom