• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD Ghosts Xbox One offline (2 weeks before launch) not possible without Live?

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
No, the issue is that though it might not be system wide DRM, it will be game to gane DRM, including stuff the single player portion.
But we don't have enough information to draw from this.

I mean we know that games can do this, as they've done it in the past as well.

At this point all we can comfortably say is that we get a glimpse into what Microsoft had in store for us if costumers hadn't given them the cold shoulder.

But he wasn't online, a ban effectively cuts you out of every way to conect to internet, you can log in except to the local profile which is offline.
How do you know how a ban works on Xbox One?

Amir0x

Banned
What are you finding insane? That some publishers can choose to stay online only?

We've seen(dumb) examples of it with Final Fight: Double Impact and Bionic Commando Rearmed 2. The only shit part about that was not knowing ahead of time to not support it.

I find it insane that Microsoft would allow the absolute biggest third party game coming to XBO - which they have a partnership on - to have such DRM checks on Xbox One, while there are none on PS4.

It would be a catastrophic issue, no two ways about it. It suggests not only that it must therefore be must simpler to implement such fuck ups on XBO, but that devs are already starting to right from launch. For games that demonstrably should never require it.

Again, I don't believe this shit is true (or at least we're missing crucial details), but if it were, it's is fucking bad.

Well I don't know if this means anything, but on the back of KIllzone Shadow Fall it says Online play optional, but does not have the offline play enabled on the back. So that brings to question why would that be on the back of the COD Ghosts case and not on the back of the Killzone Shadow Fall case?

But we've already known it was up to the publisher haven't we ? I'm just waiting to see which publisher will commit a PR self-destruction but I thought this was known.
Honestly, this cop out kind of pisses me off. It's their console. Microsoft and Sony should be able to dictate that if a game has a single player element, it should be allowed to be played offline. Sure, Simcity doesn't, but that's EA.

Based on everything else wrong with Ghosts. Who knows.

Also why would this thread go 20 pages off the realization that publishers can do whatever they want in regards to online/offline access.
How big did the Simcity thread get. People hate that shit.

Wille517

Neo Member
Is this a catastrophic situation though?
Currently I'd have to rate this a 4/10 shitstorm but IF this a trend where ONE games have online only DRM where their PS4 counterparts don't = Catastrophic Or IF the day 1 patch doesn't completely or successfully remove DRM then crank the shitsorm dial to 11 and head for a mountain bunker.

SRTtoZ

Ok, I just found a picture of Call of Duty: Ghosts Xbox One packaging.

It does NOT say offline play is enabled.

whatcallzko80.jpg

This doesn't confirm anything one way or the other, of course, but there it is.

To be fair, the back of the XB1 boxes is missing a lot of detail compared to the PS4 ones. It doesnt even list resolutions. I've noticed this with Forza, Ryse and DR3.

Raymo

24 hour check in allegedly kicked in.

Or the console ban just disables your system. I don't think this is a DRM thing. People expected the console ban to just apply to accessing live, but I think what we are seeing is that it disables all features of the console.

Makes more sense than Microsoft waiting until launch to remove the DRM. They would have removed that months ago. The need for the Day One patch is just because they knew they would need that extra window of time to finish the OS.

Massa

I bet the guy who hit the ban and copyright infringement button on this situation is feeling pretty shitty right about now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I find it insane that Microsoft would allow the absolute biggest third party game coming to XBO - which they have a partnership on - to have such DRM checks on Xbox One, while there are none on PS4.

It would be a catastrophic issue, no two ways about it. It suggests not only that it must therefore be must simpler to implement such fuck ups on XBO, but that devs are already starting to right from launch. For games that demonstrably should never require it.

Again, I don't believe this shit is true (or at least we're missing crucial details), but if it were, it's is fucking bad.

Oh, so you're taking the cboat post to imply it specifically on Ghosts. I guess I could see that from the situation at hand.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Yuck. More teasing.

I honestly don't. I'm more in concurrence with what cboat's said. It's just seeming more and more real now since the console is almost out.

Them twitter responses are typical though. Them guys should be able to answer more directly but it seems like they're dodging a little.

I imagine it's not a big deal if both Albert and Major Nelson don't know why it's happening.

It's just FUD until you be more specific man.

You can think that. It's your opinion.

Bed time.

Tsundere

Banned
It's one of either two things:

1. Microsoft can control your offline play functionality through a ban system.
  2. Offline play can be disabled at the publisher/developer's will.

Either one is bad.

Microsoft either restricted everything the user can do, this gives them unprecedented control over "your" console.

Or publishers and developers can choose not to enable offline play without an internet connection/connection to the game network.

Pain

Banned
But he wasn't online, a ban effectively cuts you out of every way to conect to internet, you can log in except to the local profile which is offline.
Then how would these bans be reversible? Obviously there is still internet access although restricted/cut off from the users end.

MaulerX

And here lies the inherent problem of Targets fuck up. Ship a system two weeks before it's time and before the final patches are complete and now a myriad of misinformation and fud is spreading. I'm honestly not worried about this at all.

CLEEK

To be fair, the back of the XB1 boxes is missing a lot of detail compared to the PS4 ones. It doesnt even list resolutions. I've noticed this with Forza, Ryse and DR3.

Hmm, why would the Xbox games not list resolutions or offline modes, but the PS4 version would?

I just can't think of a reason for those omissions...

The fact that Albert and Major are "looking into it" just confirms to me DRM is alive and well (depending on pubs). Or XBL bans block offline and online play. Either way thats fucking horrible.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Isn't he console banned, not Xbox Live banned?

Console == X-box Live access banned.
Console =!= X-box Live ACCOUNT banned.

Big difference.

His Live account is in good standing, but they (temp)-banned his access to Live for the time being.

And unless he shows that the single-player throws up a "no, you can't play offline, you need to be signed into X-box Live" and the same for the versus mode, I wouldn't panic just yet. He may be wording it in a way that "oh, I can't play X-box Live :(" instead of "Oh, I can't play the game. :("

(Of course, he could also be saying that his 360 copy since he owns that IIRC is also banned, which would make sense since his access to X-box Live with that account right now is revoked.)

hawk2025

Ok, everyone just hold on to your butts and wait for his response. :p Larry has also said he has the team looking into it.

I find it hard to believe that neither of them would know about the biggest game in the console having a online check-in requirement, so IMO this makes the "patch wasn't ready" scenario much more likely. :)

Why would this be allowed on Xbox, but not on PS4 and why would the box explicitly state that offline play is enabled, but another game like Killzone doesn't state that and only says online optional?

It's true that any publisher can make their game online only, but why would they do that for the Xbox version and not the PS4 version, that is if all of this is true?

Rhindle

I'm confused. Why are we talking about COD and publisher policies?

The guy clearly said he has an unusable console, and can't even access system settings. How does that have anything to do with COD?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's one of either two things:

1. Microsoft can control your offline play functionality through a ban system.
  2. Offline play can be disabled at the publisher/developer's will.

Either one is bad.

Microsoft either restricted everything the user can do, this gives them unprecedented control over "your" console.

Or publishers and developers can choose not to enable offline play without an internet connection/connection to the game network.

There's still the chance of a full patch not being up and the 24 lock still happening. Would have been a lot clearer if he attempted to play Ghosts offline before the ban.

Pain

Banned
Or the console ban just disables your system. I don't think this is a DRM thing. People expected the console ban to just apply to accessing live, but I think what we are seeing is that it disables all features of the console.

Makes more sense than Microsoft waiting until launch to remove the DRM. They would have removed that months ago. The need for the Day One patch is just because they knew they would need that extra window of time to finish the OS.
I don't if that would better or worse.
We shouldn't jump to conclusions though. There's many explanations to this.

ascii42

The fact that Albert and Major are "looking into it" just confirms to me DRM is alive and well (depending on pubs). Or XBL bans block offline and online play. Either way thats fucking horrible.

I have a feeling it's an unforeseen consequence of console banning before all the patches are in place. They may be looking into it because this situation wasn't expected to come up.

Or not, we'll hopefully find out soon enough.

viveks86

Console == X-box Live access banned.
Console =!= X-box Live ACCOUNT banned.

Big difference.

His Live account is in good standing, but they (temp)-banned his access to Live for the time being.

And unless he shows that the single-player throws up a "no, you can't play offline, you need to be signed into X-box Live" and the same for the versus mode, I wouldn't panic just yet. He may be wording it in a way that "oh, I can't play X-box Live :(" instead of "Oh, I can't play the game. :("

(Of course, he could also be saying that his 360 copy since he owns that IIRC is also banned, which would make sense since his access to X-box Live with that account right now is revoked.)

Huh? He specifically says he can't play it at all.

Barzul

I figure not delving too deep into specifics is what keeps him safe from detection. Though to be perfectly honest I agree, it would be really nice to have some damn specifics on these kinds of things.

Best 'Bone owners can hope for right now is that it's another situation like the indie games thing, where CBOAT might be sitting on outdated/incorrect info. (Assuming the worst-case assumption is the correct one, anyway)

I just can't believe MS would be stupid enough to ever let DRM in the form it existed in pre-180 ever rear it's head again. It would be suicidal this close to launch. That's why I feel cboat should have been more detailed, s/he can't get away with regular trolling knowing the kind of weight his/her posts carry.

Top Bottom