• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Informer Reviews Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 10/10

balgajo

Starting with three of the worst dungeons in the series plus only having two good ones later on (arbiter and yetis house) probably has something to do with it :p

What? No love for Goron Mines?

I think that Wind Waker has de worst dungeons in 3D series, despite the game being incredibly. The only one I really like is the Earth Temple, but mechanics were similar to Spirit Temple in Ocarina of Time(my favorite in this game too).

trixx

I hate how people are dissing skyward sword. Game was great and there wasn't that much hand holding basically you got the tutorial and the wii mote batteries are depleting.

Anyways can't wait till i get the bundle in the mail.

Not

Banned
I liked a ton of Skyward Sword, but the stuff I didn't like I really didn't like, so it averaged out.

Maedhros

I wish they could make the game non-linear without making every item available from the start and making the dungeons be only a obstacle without any items to be conquered... I dunno if I'll like this...

Not

Banned
If non-linearity is Zelda's new thing, and Aonuma has already confirmed elements from both Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds will influence Zelda Wii U's design, how long will it take for me to die from hype?

A. The Sixth Sense (already dead)

B. Now

C. In a few seconds

D. 8 yards

E. All of the above, somehow

Zelda+-+A+Link+to+the+Past.jpg

Banned
Not sure how trustworthy Game Informer are (I know they gave Paper Mario 2 a 6/10), but that sounds like a pretty good start to me.

There pretty solid. I subscribe to it and their reviews are firm but fair. They actually had readers complain to them because they didn't give TLOU a 10/10 (it got 9.5 lol)

When you consider the -1 they gave the game since they're a western publication and this is a handheld game....

11/10 best game of all time!!!

Link, then Mario, then kill zombies in perversely amusing ways.

Life is good/bad when this is your biggest problem.

If I pick up Zelda I won't put it down for the rest of the day, but then I won't be 100% focused because I'll be anxious to play the others and or multitasking(downloading day one patch etc).

I'm actually hoping Gamestop ships on 11/22 instead of before so that I can receive my Xbox Monday.

B_Boss

As masterful as this game is.....as beautiful as it is anyone else, when first seeing it, wished it was handdrawn like LTTP was? I certainly do and did.

Would I buy it still? Its not up for discussion, it is a given that this game be owned. I've waited countless years for a sequel...even dreamed of it and its actually here...unbelievable.

As masterful as this game is.....as beautiful as it is anyone else, when first seeing it, wished it was handdrawn like LTTP was? I certainly do and did.

I feel like the game just wouldn't work if it was hand drawn or used sprites. It's meant to be seen both from a top-down perspective and in 3D, what with the multi-tiered dungeons, the wall-crawling ability, etc.

B_Boss

I feel like the game just wouldn't work if it was hand drawn or used sprites. It's meant to be seen both from a top-down perspective and in 3D, what with the multi-tiered dungeons, the wall-crawling ability, etc.

I certainly was mindful of the philosophy behind the design but there are many games that have a hybrid pixel/3D look (especially with certain texturing & shading such as Windwaker, Fez, etc). In fact I had hoped that MM9 & 10 would actually have the NES sprites but in 3D (just as an example) but you're definitely right.

Is there a certain order to go from easiest to hardest that you can find by discovering? Or are they all kind of the same difficulty and so it doesn't really matter?

So far, the dungeons more or less seem to be around the same difficulty, though I stress that I haven't played the majority of the dungeons yet. I can say that getting to some dungeons is definitely harder than getting to others, so if the difficulty of the dungeons themselves reflects how hard it is to get to them, we may be looking at varying difficulty.

You can't just come in here and drop that kind of hype bomb when it's still 10 days out :(

Aw, haha sorry! But isn't this at least better than continuing to worry that it's hand-holdy or linear? ;)

Too bad it looks like vomit, dunno if i can get over it

It really doesn't. It looks really nice and smooth during gameplay; there's a beautiful, clean simplicity to it. I will agree, however, that during cutscenes it's plain to see that the character models are very lacking.

Neiteio

I think the game's graphics look great. It's meant to be played in autostereoscopic 3D, and in that regard the characters and settings will look like shiny plastic toys moving around a diorama with tangible depth and solidity.

But of course, the main draw here is the brisk pacing, snappy movement and non-linear dungeon order I've been requesting for some time. That, along with the virtually non-existent handholding, will do a lot to restore this series' sense of adventure.

Top Bottom