• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS MiiVerse will not support message exchange between friends or Friend Requests

I was curious as to why the MiiVerse 3DS screens released lacked the messages icon present in the Wii U version so I contacted Nintendo for clarification only to be met with some bad news. The 3DS version of MiiVerse will not support message exchanges between friends or the friend request feature. It's just the community features. And just like that the 3DS is back to lacking a means of contacting friends.

jbnGznemdGTkiq.png

*Not really sure if this was already known but thought it would be a good clarification.

Chindogg

Well when you got older men soliciting kids for sex over Swapnote, this kinda thing is to be expected.

It sucks, but its expected.

I guess it's not surprising after what happened with Swapnote but if they allow it on Wii U why not on the 3DS? Maybe it'll come later?

Then again, it's Nintendo so trying to understand their logic is just a waste of time lol

Vibranium

Banned
Dammit, this sucks. With any luck they'll reform Swapnote with proper parental control and integrate it into Miiverse in the future... a guy can hope.

Sick people are out there but I want SN back as soon as possible.

Chindogg

I guess it's not surprising after what happened with Swapnote but if they allow it on Wii U why not on the 3DS? Maybe it'll come later?

Then again, it's Nintendo so trying to understand their logic is just a waste of time lol

Wii U's not portable. That's the difference.

Maybe when they can get some security measures locked in place they'll reactivate the lost features. But for now, blame the perverts for ruining our potential fun.

cafemomo

Mang, I'm so confused about this Nintendo ID thing for the 3DS.

So e will be getting usernames, but we can't add any others.

What happens to the friends we added via FC though?

Man, fuck. How the hell can we even message friends at all then? That functionality has to be there. You can't even communicate with people. If you can do this on Wii U, why not 3DS. This blows.

Sandfox

Well we lost Swapnote. So now there's no way to communicate with your friends within the system at all.

I thought Miiverse would replace Swapnote at least.

Given the reason why we lost Swapnote in the first place that probably wasn't going to happen.

sakipon

Can 3DS even support friend requests like that? It was built to use friend codes. The same goes for messages: web-Miiverse doesn't support messaging, so it's kinda understandable 3DS won't.

MarkusRJR

Wow that's fucking stupid. Honestly the only gaming device on the market (that has online games) that doesn't have any form of online communication. What is this, 2004?

Busaiku

Can 3DS even support friend requests like that? It was built to use friend codes. The same goes for messages: web-Miiverse doesn't support messaging, so it's kinda understandable 3DS won't.

You can get friends without registering them in Animal Crossing New Leaf and Pokemon Y.

mario_O

Why not make it optional and allow parents to disable messaging? Nintendo must think all their users are kids.

Elija2

Goddamnit. How hard is it to implement a messaging system into the 3DS? I don't care about image or voice clip sharing anymore, just give me the ability to send a text message to anyone on my friend list. That's all I ask.

This is just silly. They have it in their power to make things safer while still allowing direct messaging, but instead they are being lazy.

TunaLover

Best case scenario is these same kids are much more exposed into the surf internet thing.

Hours Left said:
This is just silly. They have it in their power to make things safer while still allowing direct messaging, but instead they are being lazy.
How do you block other forms of comunication as facebook, forums, chats, youtube, twitter, blogs, etc...? The account exchange happened in an outside medium, not through 3DS itself.

VXLbeast

That was...why I was looking forward to this...

Guess I'll go back to communicating through the little status above my Mii's head...

Bullshit, Nintendo. The Wii U barely has messaging support, and then 3DS gets none? That's really awful.

If this is a matter of 'security' for your consumers, then that's what parental controls are for.

Sandfox

Bullshit, Nintendo. The Wii U barely has messaging support, and then 3DS gets none? That's really awful.

If this is a matter of 'security' for your consumers, then that's what parental controls are for.

The 3DS already has parental controls for that but according to the news article kids are smart enough to get around that kind of stuff.

balgajo

Why not limit Miiverse acess with parental controls?
One of Nintendo's problems is to think that the whole world is habited by little kids...

jaz013

Banned
The "parent control" doesn't work when the parents don't know or don't care, or the kid simply find the way to circumvent the lock. And even if is only a single kid who ends up victim of a twisted individual, that's enough to taint the whole thing.

So, far from being a "step behind", this is actually the step on the right direction.

The "parent control" doesn't work when the parents don't know or don't care, or the kid simply find the way to circumvent the lock. And even if is only a single kid who ends up victim of a twisted individual, that's enough to taint the whole thing.

So, far from being a "step behind", this is actually the step on the right direction.

How do xboxLive and PSN handle this? Not by cutting off functionality to everybody.

Just as many kids with no adult supervision are on those services.

wrowa

All this "it´s because of pedos" thing can't be solved with the parent control option?

Parental controls are useless. Kids are smarter than their parents when it comes to their toys.

However, the problem isn't messaging friends. The problem is that Nintendo made a system that makes it too hard to identify the person who wrote a message. Swapnote was less secure than your average chat in that regard... They could have made communication more secure with Miiverse, but they've chosen to rather play it safe -- that people, even kids, expect their devices to be connected with their friends is something they apparently don't care about. Luckily, kids don't use cell phones or computers these days...

All of this could be solved with parent who pay attention to their kids's hobbies, but a lot of parents just aren't capable of that. If you don't understand thr devices of your kid, at least be sure that he can't access your damn wifi key.

Top Bottom