• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 HDD speed test thread (HDD/SSHD/SSD/STD)

If you want a HDD with pure speed, I'd advise to sacrifice the space and get the 750GB Scorpio Black, as the Travelstar seems a little bit slower.
I second this. The WD Scorpio Blacks are great hard drives, with great read/write speeds. In addition, I have had nothing but great experiences with Western Digital hard drives. I am rocking a 10 year-old 80GB WD hard drive in my home server that just will not die.

mobius006

You are going to be deleting things very often.
I'll be able to fit resogun, cod, killzone, knack, skylanders and need for speed.

That's fine till infamous.

These system will need to delete things no matter what.

I wish the physical disc of cod let you just install the multiplayer like the digital version does.

Sata is backwards compatible.

I have a sata 3 256 ssd in my ps4 now. Was 188 gb after formatting. Boot times for games is fantastic. Much faster then the 5200 standard drive.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've no issue with managing my hard drive space. (There's never a need to have more than 3-4 full retail games on a system at a time.) Looking forward to that speed boost.

Posted this last night.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B99JUBQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

So far cold boot - 17-20 secs from the beep
Complete shutdown - 28-32 secs

Standby shutdown - 20-22 secs
Standby boot - 18-20 secs

All with auto login. I tested it a few more times and the results change a little. Sometimes a little less or sometimes a little more. I can update tonight to see if anything major changes but those were the most common numbers i was getting.
This is what I have coming with my PS4 today. Does anyone know how much this performance differs from the stock HDD?

SATA III speeds aren't supported, but SATA III drives will work.

This is what I have running in my PS4, it's SATA III capable but runs just fine in my PS4; just uses SATA II speeds. I'll try and post up some speeds in this post later, and edit in more games as I test them.

*Edit*

HDD Installed (model # & size): HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (model 0S03563)
Cost of HDD: $70 (was a sale on amazon, currently $90)
Boot from cold time: 20 seconds (from first beep until the first text shows up on screen)
Boot from standby time: 3.5 seconds (from first beep until main screen)
Game boot times (from XMB to actually playing, Disk/Digital):

Resogun: 12 seconds (from pressing start until first text appears)
Killzone: Shadowfall (disk): 10.1 seconds (from pressing start until splash screen)
Contrast: 5 seconds (from pressing start until first splash screen)

Sounds pretty damn fast, and that's the same HDD I got as well.

SATA III speeds aren't supported, but SATA III drives will work.

This is what I have running in my PS4, it's SATA III capable but runs just fine in my PS4; just uses SATA II speeds. I'll try and post up some speeds in this post later, and edit in more games as I test them.

*Edit*

HDD Installed (model # & size): HGST Travelstar 2.5-Inch 1TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s 32MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (model 0S03563)
Cost of HDD: $70 (was a sale on amazon, currently $90)
Boot from cold time: 20 seconds (from first beep until the first text shows up on screen)
Boot from standby time: 3.5 seconds (from first beep until main screen)
Game boot times (from XMB to actually playing, Disk/Digital):

Resogun: 12 seconds (from pressing start until first text appears)
Killzone: Shadowfall (disk): 10.1 seconds (from pressing start until splash screen)
Contrast: 5 seconds (from pressing start until first splash screen)

This looks good.

Is that the same type of comparison with Resogun that is 20 seconds and the SSD was 10s to boot?

Could do with someone putting the standard HDD times in the OP for better results!

Rizzilio

Neo Member
This looks good.

Is that the same type of comparison with Resogun that is 20 seconds and the SSD was 10s to boot?

Looked at the gif,as far as I can see yes I tested the same way they did

ps4_ssd_load_times_by_alo81-d6u4bke.gif

Posted this last night.

All with auto login. I tested it a few more times and the results change a little. Sometimes a little less or sometimes a little more. I can update tonight to see if anything major changes but those were the most common numbers i was getting.

This is the drive I have coming.

xclaw

one thing I'm definitely noticing using the drive that came with the PS4 is how damn slow it is installing games that are currently downloading

hopefully sticking a SSD in would fix that

no, you have to wait for the Samsung 2TB 9.5mm drives to release

They're using a drive that's decent at reads and shit at writes.... so installs are looking to be the "go make a sandwich" time.

nynt9

Those are the directions on how to install the new software on a new hard drive. It's a different file from the 1.5 update. This is for new hard drives and is a 859mb file as opposed to the much smaller update, and it requires a flash drive. If you want the hardware installation directions, GameSpot did a video about it. (They get to the software aspect near the end, but never give you a link to the files you need.)

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-install-a-playstation-4-hard-drive/1100-6416162/

My bad, maybe I should actually read stuff sometimes, eh?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Cant wait for someone to test the new Samsung EVO SSD

8OXXMeD.gif

Ryoohki360

Neo Member
SSD will be great. Especially on BF4, on PC i arrive a good 10 second before on the server vs those with HDD, can start taking points before ;) LOL

Posted this last night.

Ordered this drive as well and am getting the same results!

Posted this last night.

Cold and stand-by boot take the same time or am I comprehending wrong?

Rizzilio

Neo Member
That is a massive difference! Why?

Not sure what his testing consists of, but my interpretation of standby boot is when the console's light is orange and my tv is no longer getting a signal to press the ps button and start my stopwatch when the console beeps, and then stopping the stopwatch when the PS4 is back on the main screen. tried it 4 times now and it's 3.5 seconds everytime.

viveks86

Not sure what his testing consists of, but my interpretation of standby boot is when the console's light is orange and my tv is no longer getting a signal to press the ps button and start my stopwatch when the console beeps, and then stopping the stopwatch when the PS4 is back on the main screen. tried it 4 times now and it's 3.5 seconds everytime.

So you can interact with the UI after 3.5 seconds? This is in complete contradiction to everyone's results. I don't know what to make of it. Could it have to do with SSHD? That's the only difference I see. In any case, good for you Rizzilio. I should get mine in a few hours. Will report back with my findings. :)

DBT85

Could someone with a stock drive also post their times?

Whole bunch of posts glad that we have the thread, not so many actual results lol.

No Love

Banned
I don't have a Samsung Evo on hand, but I have a Toshiba Q 256GB SSD showing up today. I'll let you guys know how it is. Toshiba's SSD's are very fast, many of the other SSD/HDD companies use their NAND in fact.

Do you guys want me to compare stock drive vs SSD? I can benchmark the stock drive, rip it out, put in the SSD...

I don't have a Samsung Evo on hand, but I have a Toshiba Q 256GB SSD showing up today. I'll let you guys know how it is. Toshiba's SSD's are very fast, many of the other SSD/HDD companies use their NAND in fact.

Do you guys want me to compare stock drive vs SSD? I can benchmark the stock drive, rip it out, put in the SSD...

Yes please!!

subbed thread. because 500GB is so small.feel like 1TB is too. is there a 1.5TB HDD that is worht getting?

I almost do too, however, I think it's unlikely I'm going to have too many games cached/installed at any one time.

tenchir

Which is the difference between :

Samsung MZ-7TE500BW Disque Flash SSD interne Série 840 EVO BASIC 2,5" 500 Go SATA grey : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00E3915Y4/

and

Samsung MZ-7PD512BW Disque Flash SSD interne Série 840 PRO 2,5" Controleur Samsung SATA III 512 Go Kit BASIC : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009LI7CYE/

and Which model, can i choose for PS4 ? basic or laptop ?
Many thanks for your help!

The difference is the type of NAND flash they use. The second one last longer and has higher performance than the first one. Don't worry about the lasting longer part because it's relative, they can last for years(even decades) depending on how often they are written on. The PS4 won't even come close to a typical usage of a PC that SSD are designed for. Performance also shouldn't be that different on a PS3 because they will hit the same read/write speed due to SATAII. So either one is fine.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Which is the difference between :

Samsung MZ-7TE500BW Disque Flash SSD interne Série 840 EVO BASIC 2,5" 500 Go SATA grey : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00E3915Y4/

and

Samsung MZ-7PD512BW Disque Flash SSD interne Série 840 PRO 2,5" Controleur Samsung SATA III 512 Go Kit BASIC : http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B009LI7CYE/

and Which model, can i choose for PS4 ? basic or laptop ?
Many thanks for your help!

The new 840 EVO is basically cheaper in production, therefore cheaper in price (you pay way less € per gigabyte). But it is also faster than the older 840 PRO and can hold a higher capacity (e.g. the 1 Terrabyte EVO SSD)

knitoe

Some quick test:

HDD: 5400 vs 7200

Boot: 36s vs 22s
Stand: 25s vs 25s
Ghost: 15s vs 12s

Guessing, with standby, data is loaded into ram so makes no difference in HDD speeds.

tenchir

Åesop;90020096 said:
The new 840 EVO is basically cheaper in production, therefore cheaper in price (you pay way less € per gigabyte). But it is also faster than the older 840 PRO and can hold a higher capacity (e.g. the 1 Terrabyte EVO SSD)

EVO is cheaper because it uses TLC NAND flash, while the PRO uses MLC. The PRO is faster than the EVO, it has higher read/writes and IOPS. So while it is true that EVO cheaper, the tradeoff is that you will lose performance. This only applies to PC though, on the PS4, you will not notice any difference between them.

DBT85

Some quick test:

HDD: 5400 vs 7200

Boot: 36s vs 22s
Stand: 25s vs 25s
Ghost: 15s vs 12s

Guessing, with standby, data is loaded into ram so makes no difference in HDD speeds.

I assume the 5400 was the stock drive? What was the 7200 you used?

Thanks for letting us know :)

Which STD is it? It's important we have the stat on it.

jk thanks for all the postings

Swab is in the post. Will find out soon.

Top Bottom