• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4: Standby or Power down?

Kyleoty

Neo Member
I would guess that we ALL have something in our home in standby mode and it does not get the talk it to death. YOUR DVR!!!

DirecTVs Genie and all older DTV DVRs had this feature....... How do you think they record something when your not home.

padlock

I can't believe that it uses 70W in standby. That's outrageous. That would mean that keeping your console in standby would cost you significantly more per year than a PS+ membership.

J-Rod

I'm having ps2 flashbacks where people thought it necessary to hit the switch in the back as if machines get recuperative rest. Standby for life.

SMZC

I can't believe that it uses 70W in standby. That's outrageous. That would mean that keeping your console in standby would cost you significantly more per year than a PS+ membership.

And we're done here. I don't have my console yet, but there's no way I'm leaving it on idle 24/7 if it's going to be like that. Waiting 10 or 20 more seconds every time I want to play is not going to kill me.

gruenel

Cerny specifically stated in an interview that part of the reason why an additional ARM chip was implemented was to conform to EU standby power regulations.

I wonder if they calculated the WORST case for standby?

As in downloading something, so the machine turned on for 5 minutes or whatever (like to sync Trophies and patches etc).

Just... can't be true lol.

gruenel

As in downloading something, so the machine turned on for 5 minutes or whatever (like to sync Trophies and patches etc).

They have a seperate figure for standby while downloading.

Lionheart

Or perhaps it was installing a game from disc still? Very strange otherwise... Though you'd hear that.

USC-fan

Banned
I wonder if the PS4 was doing something while they put it in standby. Maybe it was installing something or updating a game.

Just doesnt seem right. Somebody should start a new thread so we can get this clear up.

Why have the extra arm chip? At 70W you can almost just leave the system power. No way someone can say that is a "low-power" state.

McHuj

XB1 doesnt have extra ARM chip on it.

An extra ARM would never consume 70W+. The ARM SOC is probably on the order of 1-2W. The only way they're getting 70W is if the main SOC is on.

IMO, it's probably a bug in the OS that's not suspending it correctly. I'd expect that to get fixed with a future firmware patch.

Wow, I thought the XBone's 14W was high!

70W is absolutely ridiculous. That's enough to power a typical laptop.
Given that it apparently uses 80-90 W when idling, there's practically no power saving compared to just leaving it on 24/7.
I assume Ars must've made a mistake and that the console was doing some major background updating while they were taking the power readings.

PS4 gets around the EU law because "shut down" in PS4-speak meets the definition of "standby" in EU-law speak. I'm going to assume that it does use <1W when you've selected "shut down" and it's just listening for an "on" command.
In EU law it has to be possible to be possible to tell a device to consume less than a watt without having to physically disconnect it.

Out of interest, my 360 is set to continue downloading any pending files when I tell it to turn off. It goes into a low power mode with just the network and HDD remaining active, then shuts down completely when finished. Does anyone know the power consumed in that 'low power' setting?

Apparently, the WiiConnect listening-standby mode uses 9W. This has been criticised because an average Wii (unless WiiConnect is disabled) uses 97% of it's power while on standby (source:http://wpweb2.tepper.cmu.edu/ceic/pdfs/CEIC_11_01.pdf)

As an added benefit for PlayStation Plus members, PS4 can automatically download game patches when in standby mode as well.

You fucking kidding me. This is STILL behind a paywall? a feature which costs them literally nothing? Arbitrarily inconveniencing your customers is not a terribly good marketing strategy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Ars technica updated. It's only 10W in standby, lol.

Yep. Freaked me out the first few times.
Well what's the point of standby then if it won't even keep the house warm this winter!?!??

Fucking Sony fail....

:D

Anyone have boot times from standby and powered off?
Not sure about off, but standby PS button push to user select was like 5 seconds when I timed it earlier.

Power down. Don't waste that power. It costs money and pollutes the atmosphere.

My entire entertainment center is on a power strip that gets shut off when it is not in use. Yours should be too.
LLShC.gif

Kyoufu

Power down. Don't waste that power. It costs money and pollutes the atmosphere.

My entire entertainment center is on a power strip that gets shut off when it is not in use. Yours should be too.
LLShC.gif

Powering down a PS4 means you won't get the benefits of automatic updates. I hope you like making sandwiches.

Zornack

Its bullshit, ignore him.
TV's have used standby for over a decade, if it reduced life we'd know by now.

I think what Vestal meant was that not using standby and turning on/off the system daily is harmful to the hardware.

Personally? Shut down for the most part - why induce significantly unnecessary wear-and-tear and potential problems when you don't really have to?

Turning off and on the system is more harsh on it than leaving it in standby mode forever, unless I'm mistaken.

Flek

Banned
70W = no standby sorry.

Actually could someone who has a ps4 already and maybe even one of those power consumption adapters you plug in your power outlet check that out ?

Dysun

10W for standby insures this will be my go-to unless I'm not planning on using it for a good long while.

Kyoufu

70W = no standby sorry.

Actually could someone who has a ps4 already and maybe even one of those power consumption adapters you plug in your power outlet check that out ?

Check out the ArsTechnica thread. It draws 0.5W in standby unless it's downloading an update.

Turn it off. You save a good bunch of energy and prolong the lifetime of your PS4.

Not really. Standby mode should use very little power.

How long does it take to wake up from standby? IIRC Xbone takes 13 seconds or so and the PS4 takes about 30 to start from a cold boot, but we don't know how fast it wakes up from standby. So could anyone test it out?

jcm

Not really. Standby mode should use very little power.

How long does it take to wake up from standby? IIRC Xbone takes 13 seconds or so and the PS4 takes about 30 to start from a cold boot, but we don't know how fast it wakes up from standby. So could anyone test it out?

10W isn't really very little. Should be 1W or less.

Top Bottom