• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Hardware Troubleshooting / Q&A Thread

Schrade

Gaf, long and excruciating story short, I reformatted my 1TB SSHD to NTFS as per the Sony tech's ultimately redundant advice (it turns out the problem was that Sony are shit and are yet to get around to hosting the proper FW reinitialization files).

So, my question is basically whether there are any issues with using an NTFS-formatted HDD in a PS4. It seems to be working a-OK.

Many thanks.

The firmware should reformat the hard drive to the filesystem that the firmware uses (probably a FreeBSD filesystem)

Are you having problems downloading the full firmware (and not just the update)?

Reule

I'm not sure if it's an issue but I noticed something today when my girlfriend was cancelling auto-renewal for PS Plus.

If you go to Settings>PSN>Account Information, look at the top where you'd change your sign-in e-mail address. Anyone else getting a Not Verified alert next to it? Girlfriend has the alert and so do I on two different PS4s. My e-mail address has been verified for a long time now, so not sure why it says that.

Edit: Well, I tried to verify but the page that the link forwards me to times out. Cool.

Edit 2: Either it was my home connection or Sony had some issues the other day, all is resolved. Good and verified. I'd suggest everyone check to see if you're verified or not since a few of my friends were also unverified. Guess they want everyone to do it after some of the DDOS attacks or something. Who knows?

alright can anyone help me out please.
So last week I was playing my PS4 flawlessly All week long. I played for countless hours. Then On Christmas Eve I downloaded a DLC for Shadow of Mordor (Lord of the Hunt) I downloaded it and before it starts it gets stuck forcing me to turn off the ps4 completely. Now whenever I play any game my Ps4 screen glitches, gets stuck, and shuts down completely. It had did this one time before but the problem had i went away.It's getting to the point where I cant even keep it on for a minute before it shuts down. I brought my PS4 in April. it has the newest software installed also. Thanks in advance.

sal0713

Neo Member
My ps4 yesterday decided to turn on by itself and spit my disc out. I barely use the disc drive but I do have a few games on disc and the ps4 spits any disc out. Is there a solution for this? Do i need to send it to sony?

LAM09

My PS4 froze twice today, and I wanted to know what's possibly causing it, and if there is a way to prevent it from happening again?

Farseer M

Neo Member
Hi,This night I downloaded Dead Nation AE on my brand new PS4 bought this christmas with firmware 2.03.
I downloaded both game and update, together with the Pix the Cat game and I left the PS4 in rest mode during night (thanks shitty ADSL).
This morning everything was downloaded, BUT, when starting PIx the Cat, the system says that there is an update available and I cannot use network functions. I already have the update installed, so I deleted the update and I download it again. Everything works fine.
Now the main problem is Dead Nation: same message about the network function, tried download again the page, but the installation goes in loop. Tried to delete the game and the PS4 stays for ten minute in the "wait" page. Switched off the console manually, restarted in safe mode, rebuilded database. At startup the game was not deleted, the update was downloaded and the game starts and goes at least at the main screen without problem. Then I had to go to the office, so no time for other tests.
these are not the firsts games installed on my system, I allready downloaded Resogun, PvsZ GW, Driveclub, Trine 2, Infamous FL, without any problem in rest mode.
What do you think about this? may be a firmware issue combined with an old game?

(this question is also posted in the Dead Nation update thread, maybe this is a better place to ask)

M

Elginer

Well, it happened. My PS4 has gone to heaven but it was kind enough to work long enough to get my saves on a USB drive. It just randomly shutdown in the middle of a Destiny Strike. I was like wtf. Tried to turn it back on and the light would flash blue, I'd hear a click and then it would turn off.

After a google search seems it's happened to a few people and a fix was and I'm not joking was slapping the fuck out of it on the side. Sony wanted 150 for a repair as I'm out of warranty so I just decided to trade it in to GameStop and pay the difference to get a new system next month in time for the Order. I'm kind of shocked that it happened as I've hd few problems with my PS3 and it's been running for about 4 years now like a workhorse.

I've got something weird. Randomly while playing my PS4 will make one single loud BEEP.

Thats its.

System doesn't restart or shut down. Screen doesn't flicker, in-game audio isn't affected.

Am I looking forward to the BLOD?

Well, it happened. My PS4 has gone to heaven but it was kind enough to work long enough to get my saves on a USB drive. It just randomly shutdown in the middle of a Destiny Strike. I was like wtf. Tried to turn it back on and the light would flash blue, I'd hear a click and then it would turn off.

After a google search seems it's happened to a few people and a fix was and I'm not joking was slapping the fuck out of it on the side. Sony wanted 150 for a repair as I'm out of warranty so I just decided to trade it in to GameStop and pay the difference to get a new system next month in time for the Order. I'm kind of shocked that it happened as I've hd few problems with my PS3 and it's been running for about 4 years now like a workhorse.
Did you try any of this stuff?

Yep, tried all of that. It would work for a bit but then randomly shutdown after about 20 mins and then do the whole not wanting to turn back on bit.
Hmm. Did you do all the fixes at once, or did you narrow down the actual source of the problem? Like, loose HDD, or what?

My PS4 (launch unit) won't accept discs anymore. It was in standby, turned itself on and ejected the disc inside and since then I can't even put a disc in the drive. And it keeps trying to eject a disc every five seconds despite there not being a disc in the drive. It happened a few times before but the problem was always gone after switching the console off, removing the power cord and then switching it back on. I've tried that ten times already but it just keeps beeping and ejecting.

Is my PS4 dying?

I'm pretty bummed because I've only played one single game from disc (Dragon Age, about 50 hours) since launch day and the disc drive is failing. :/

Data Ghost

Okay this has been bugging me for a while so Im wondering if anyone else has the same issue. This only really applies to people who buy physical disks rather than digital content. Ive not seen this issue mentioned ANYWHERE which is affecting my OCD ;)

SO, the PS4 disk drive seems to suck at pulling in disks. Its loud and scratchy sounding and I always get the feeling that I need to help the disk along with my finger, kind of like the loading mechanism is on the way out. This is amplifies by the fact that my Xbox One and Wii U have strong quiet drive loading mechanisms that pull the disks in smoothly with barely any noise. The feel of a much higher quality, and don't feel like they are about to break.

I also know that this isn't a one off as I am currently on my 4th replacement PS4 and all of them bar one have been the same. Anyone else notice this? I mean, I could ignore it and just push the disk in further but it feels weird to do that when the other consoles catch the disk and pull it in as soon as it touches the drive.

The PS4 drive just feels so cheap and of a poor build quality :/

vvise

hey guys i got a problem:

Over the last 2 days, I've had games suddenly crash and the PS4 tells me to eject the disc and restart the application. This happened with Destiny and Driveclub. Yesterday when I started my PS4 I got a message saying that the PS4 failed to start and to install an update via USB. When I hit cancel the PS4 restarted and it worked fine.

I thought there might be a corrupted install so I spent today re-downloading Driveclub and re-installed it. It crashed again within 30 minutes. On top of that after asking me to eject the disc it froze completely and wouldn't boot after that. I downloaded the latest firmware and installed it and it still failed to start. On the 3rd attempt it did.

I think I've determined the HDD is a dud.
1. Is there anything I can do?
2. Should I call Sony or just replace the drive myself?
3. Has anyone had something similair happen?
4. Is there a utility on the PS4 firmware to let me scan for bad sectors and repair them?

Pachimari

I got to bump this thread. Because I am freaking out right now.

My PlayStation 4 (bought at launch) has just been blinking red and it says a very weird spinning sound. It keeps restarting and shutting itself down. I have tried with 2 different HDMI cables now.

So it's pretty much dead?

[edit]
I'm trying to let it stand up, and it haven't turned off yet.

I'm posting about this but I think it's a ps4 file system issue causing it.

Basicly I can't play Advanced Warfare singleplayer, everytime the game finishes loading during the cutscene, the game crashes, I've tried to delete the game and reinstall but still the same error.

Is basically my only option at this point to delete the save file?

I got to bump this thread. Because I am freaking out right now.

My PlayStation 4 (bought at launch) has just been blinking red and it says a very weird spinning sound. It keeps restarting and shutting itself down. I have tried with 2 different HDMI cables now.

So it's pretty much dead?

[edit]
I'm trying to let it stand up, and it haven't turned off yet.

red light means overheating

Pachimari

Funny how it overheated after I took it out of the cabinet. I wonder what made it overheat since it was out in open space.
Oh well, thanks for the clarifications.

Could be. It haven't died down while standing up.
Should I sent it in for repair or maybe remove and put in the hard drive again? Maybe it needs a clean up.

Just FYI in case you didnt know, if you take the HDD out and put it back in, it effectively wipes it and you'll need to re-install the firmware.

Pachimari

Just FYI in case you didnt know, if you take the HDD out and put it back in, it effectively wipes it and you'll need to re-install the firmware.

Thanks. Even though I don't have anything important on it, I won't touch it. I guess I'll just vacuum the vents.

[edit]
I don't want to double post, so I'll just edit this one.
I have come across another problem. My new Dual Shock 4 won't charge through an electrical outlet, only through my PS4. Why is that?

"LAN not detected"

So I keep getting this after being connected online for more than 2 min. Trust me its connected, and its not the wires. I back out of an app, and it reconnects no problem. During usage it drops out 100 times.

Anyone?

I can only go wi fi with no problems.

"LAN not detected"

So I keep getting this after being connected online for more than 2 min. Trust me its connected, and its not the wires. I back out of an app, and it reconnects no problem. During usage it drops out 100 times.

Anyone?

I can only go wi fi with no problems.
I haven't noticed anything like that. Does it happen on the main menu, or only when you're using a game/app? All games and apps? Have you tried deleting and recreating the network configuration? Maybe your settings got glitched.

I haven't noticed anything like that. Does it happen on the main menu, or only when you're using a game/app? All games and apps? Have you tried deleting and recreating the network configuration? Maybe your settings got glitched.

When using an app or playing online. It will work and then drop me, and then reconnect and then drop 7 min later.

wachie

Since the last update I'm not getting any sound from the headphone jack of the DS4. The sound continues to come off the PS4's HDMI-audio out .. I would think if the DS4 was faulty, I would get no sound - that is the PS4 would redirect the audio but the DS4 wouldnt output it.

Anybody else come across this issue?

When using an app or playing online. It will work and then drop me, and then reconnect and then drop 7 min later.
Weird. So, you'll be watching Netflix, the connection will drop, and all you need to do to fix it is drop out to the Dynamic Menu for a sec? No need to relaunch Netflix or anything like that? And it only happens when using a wired connection; never on WiFi? Is it possible your network cable is damaged, or not properly seated at one end? Maybe there's enough interference in the line to interrupt your stream, but not enough to prevent you from reestablishing it? Do you get any kind of error message when the connection drops? Can you tell if you're also getting signed out of PSN when it happens? Have you tried another cable, or redoing your network config from scratch?

I need some help. I have a 3.5 MM jack that I can plug from my monitor to my PC speakers, as well as an optical audio cable that I can plug into my sound card. neither are working.
image.php

Can you give us any more information? For example, are you trying to get sound out of your PS4? Where are you trying to send it, exactly?

My ps4 does the beep, blink blue once and shut off thingy....I guess it's dead.

But my question...

When I sent for repairs it was still in warranty, while waiting for the shipping box to arrive, the warranty expired. Now they said they want to charge me for the repairs....

Should I raise hell or will that just be a waste of time?

Isaccard

Weird. So, you'll be watching Netflix, the connection will drop, and all you need to do to fix it is drop out to the Dynamic Menu for a sec? No need to relaunch Netflix or anything like that? And it only happens when using a wired connection; never on WiFi? Is it possible your network cable is damaged, or not properly seated at one end? Maybe there's enough interference in the line to interrupt your stream, but not enough to prevent you from reestablishing it? Do you get any kind of error message when the connection drops? Can you tell if you're also getting signed out of PSN when it happens? Have you tried another cable, or redoing your network config from scratch?

image.php

Can you give us any more information? For example, are you trying to get sound out of your PS4? Where are you trying to send it, exactly?

I figured out the problem. I forgot to click "Listen to this device" in my soundcards option menu. Works perfectly now, even if the audio is set to HDMI ha

Tailzo

I have a stereo behind, that I want to use with my ps4, without having to use wires across the room.

I've seen a dongle that makes the stereo into a blutooth device. And thus letting you for example playing music from your iphone to it. The ps4 also has support for blutooth devices, but can I output sound to a blutooth device?

edit: although I haven't been able to get 100% sure answers, googling is pointing to this solution not working.

It sounds like the disc drive is trying to do something every 10 or so seconds, despite there being no disc in the console.

Anybody have ideas?

EDIT: Unplugged it for three or so hours and plugged it back in. It beeped three times upon startup.

I've got something weird. Randomly while playing my PS4 will make one single loud BEEP.

Thats its.

System doesn't restart or shut down. Screen doesn't flicker, in-game audio isn't affected.

Am I looking forward to the BLOD?

I have this too. Have you replaced the stock hard drive? Based on some research I did, it could be that the new hard drive isn't receiving enough power. I've had no other problems, but this worries me. I'm going to try rebuilding the database tonight, but I have no idea if that will help.

I have a question for the people who have or have had the randomly ejecting issue, the one that keeps ejecting every few seconds over and over again. Did you have HDMI device link enabled in the settings? I contacted Sony to send in my PS4 about a week ago and just received the box today. Last week after contacting them I decided to disable HDMI link and haven't had the problem since. I've been having the eject issue since back in Sept last year but haven't had much use for the disc drive so I never sent it in, plus I purchased the extended warranty so I wasn't to worried about it. I was trying various different fixes I seen online and all of them were only temporary, the main one I was using was completely shutting down the PS4 and unplugging it for at least an hour which I would do after every time I finished using it. After disabling HDMI link I've had my PS4 on or in rest mode for nearly a week without any issues. Now I'm debating whether or not I should send it in.

Sanic

I'm sending my PS4 in for repair. Is it safe to assume i'll get a refurbished unit back instead of a new one? Or will they just fix mine and send it back?

Reule

More of a PSN question rather than about the hardware...

I haven't played TLOU: Remastered since about October. Finished up my current playthrough the other day but today I noticed in Recent Activities that when I had booted the game it said I had played it for the first time ever. Definitely not true, haha. Is this just because I hadn't played in awhile or something?

Edit: Yup, that's what it was. Friend played with me the other day and he had it too. He hadn't played since September.

Data Ghost

Okay Im on my 4th PS4 and I have a mythical quiet one so I was super happy BUT the disk drive loading mechanisim is so WEAK. 2 of the others were also the same and 1 was fine.

Check out this vid I made:

https://youtu.be/fZBPKAtrgQw

Talk about cheaply made! Anyone else's like this??

My PS4 suddenly start showing me "Too many USB devices are connected. Disconnect a USB device." even when there is only 1 USB slot being used. Does anyone have any idea? This has never happen to me before. In the past I used both USB slots to charge my headset and controller. Then suddenly none of the USB slots appear to charge my PS4 controller. However when I use my Gold Headset, it works fine in either slots. If its charging my controller, none of the USB slots work and that message pops up. \

Help please :(

My PS4 suddenly start showing me "Too many USB devices are connected. Disconnect a USB device." even when there is only 1 USB slot being used. Does anyone have any idea? This has never happen to me before. In the past I used both USB slots to charge my headset and controller. Then suddenly none of the USB slots appear to charge my PS4 controller. However when I use my Gold Headset, it works fine in either slots. If its charging my controller, none of the USB slots work and that message pops up. \

Help please :(

https://twitter.com/g4mefrk/status/473679270200352770

omonimo

Banned
I solved the eject disc issue of my ps4. My ps4 has rebuilt the ram database and it's not happens anymore after a punch. I know it's a common issue of the eject button. I suggest to the who has expired the warranty to search a YouTube video where explained, shouldn't be that tough to fix if I have understood right. After fix it I suggest to never use again the eject button and indeed to use the controller to eject the disc. It has to do with some piece of plastic who accidentally press the touch button inside the case. I guess my punch accidentally shifted the case and it has solved the problem. But don't try this you can't have the same luck.

Vamp

After updating to firmware 2.50 my PS4 went crazy. I cannot install any games anymore. When I put farcry 4 disk inside it starts installing, it will finish 100% and after loading screen I'm getting error that game is corrupted. I've tried other disk games same thing happens.
I already tried basic troubleshooting, initializing PS4 and installing everything from beginning but nothing helps.
I'm so bumped I never had console fail on me before.

Edit: Here is the full error.

pqediej.jpg

Top Bottom